"Beyond the formative effects of reading on the individuals composing society, the fact that they have read the same books gives them experiences and ideas in common. These constitute a kind of shorthand of ideas which helps make communication quicker and more efficient. That is what we mean when we say figuratively of another person, We speak the same language."
—Charles Scribner, Jr.
- Afghans in frantic avalanche search Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:02:09 GMT
- Afghan rescuers are searching for dozens of people believed to be trapped under snow after a series of avalanches that killed at least 187 people.
- Paris drone journalist to face court Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:35:32 GMT
- An Al-Jazeera journalist is to appear in a French court accused of flying a drone illegally over Paris as mystery continues over night-time drone flights.
- China's loans to Latin America rise Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:48:10 GMT
- Loans from China to Latin America rose by 71% to $22bn in 2014, new figures from the China-Latin America Finance Database suggest.
- Bahraini Shia sentenced to death Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:50:36 GMT
- A court in Bahrain sentences three Shia Muslims to death for last year's bomb attack that killed three police and injured another 13, officials say.
- Boehner silent on shutdown vote Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:32:46 GMT
- House Speaker John Boehner has refused to say if the House will vote on a Senate bill funding homeland security before a Friday deadline.
- Savile 'abused 63 people at hospital' Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:00:42 GMT
- Jimmy Savile abused 63 people connected to Stoke Mandeville Hospital, but the only formal complaint was ignored, a report finds.
- Man found with bomb-making equipment Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:29:44 GMT
- A former Syrian doctor admits having a hoard of explosive ingredients and instructions on how to prepare bombs in Edinburgh.
- Algeria hostage deaths 'unlawful' Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:06:30 GMT
- Seven British men who died in the 2013 Algerian hostage crisis were "unlawfully killed", the judge in an inquest into their deaths says.
- Man 'belly bounced' elderly woman Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:47:31 GMT
- A Belfast man is convicted of assaulting an elderly neighbour by using his belly to "bounce" her away from his home.
- In pictures: Vintage Nasa photographs for sale Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:37:26 GMT
- Space photos go under the hammer
- Day in pictures: 25 February 2015 Wed, 25 Feb 2015 12:54:04 GMT
- Images from around the world: 25 February
- Sony World Photography Awards: 2015 shortlist Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:33:28 GMT
- Finalists in this year's Sony World Photo Awards
- Weighing Anchor: An artist at sea Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:32:01 GMT
- An artists view of the Royal Navy
- Oscars 2015: The ceremony in pictures Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:47:57 GMT
- Images of the ceremony and backstage
- Day in pictures: 24 February 2015 Tue, 24 Feb 2015 12:22:29 GMT
- Images from around the world: 24 February