"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
—Erich Fromm (1900-80) German-born American psychoanalyst, emphasized role of social conditioning
- Extinct giant penguin found in shed Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:03:45 GMT
- A bird that would have towered above today's largest species is rediscovered thanks to 3D printing.
- DR Congo 'coup plotters' acquitted Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:40:56 GMT
- A group of 15 men accused of plotting to assassinate the president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Joseph Kabila, have been acquitted by a South African court.
- Safety inquiry after Hughes's death Fri, 28 Nov 2014 07:37:33 GMT
- Cricket Australia will hold an investigation into player safety following the death of Test batsman Phillip Hughes.
- Back me on migration, PM tells EU Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:04:10 GMT
- David Cameron urges EU leaders to back his "reasonable" plans to curb welfare benefits for migrants, saying he will "rule nothing out" if they fail.
- Brazil legend Pele is 'improving' Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:04:48 GMT
- Brazil legend Pele is improving but remains in intensive care having been admitted to hospital with a urinary infection.
- Gaza floods prompt emergency status Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:04:32 GMT
- After days of heavy rain, the UN declares a state of emergency amid severe flooding in the Gaza Strip, still damaged from the summer war.
- Woman wins £337m in divorce case Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:11:45 GMT
- The American wife of London financier Sir Chris Hohn, Jamie Cooper-Hohn, is awarded £337m by a High Court judge in a divorce case.
- NHS 'U-turn' over drug trial money Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:25:25 GMT
- NHS England says letters sent out to local health bosses suggesting the funding of patients in clinical drug trials might be cut were "incorrect".
- Brown wants Scots politics 'reset' Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:59:49 GMT
- Former prime minister Gordon Brown says politicians in Scotland must stop obsessing about constitutional change and focus on improving people's lives.
- Lenny Henry to guest edit R4's Today Sat, 29 Nov 2014 01:26:17 GMT
- Comedian Lenny Henry and former Everything But The Girl singer Tracey Thorn are among those chosen to guest edit BBC Radio 4's Today programme over the festive period.
- Service remembers Clutha crash dead Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:58:42 GMT
- An ecumenical service will be held in Glasgow to mark the first anniversary of the Clutha helicopter crash in which 10 people died.
- Day in pictures: 28 November 2014 Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:30:35 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 28 November
- Lewis Hamilton: A photographer's view Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:29:41 GMT
- A photographer's view
- Your pictures: Insects Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:12:17 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "insects"
- Day in pictures: 26 November 2014 Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:54:02 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 25 November