"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
—Deciderius Erasmus (1466?-1536) Dutch Renaissance scholar, theologian
- Pakistan mosque blast kills dozens Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:16:21 GMT
- A bomb blast at a Shia mosque in southern Pakistan kills at least 40 people and injures many more, officials say.
- Putin ally to build bridge to Crimea Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:45:48 GMT
- A Russian contract for building a $3bn bridge to Crimea goes to a firm controlled by a close friend of Vladimir Putin who is under Western sanctions.
- US rejects Guantanamo Bay demand Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:55:02 GMT
- The US dismisses a Cuban demand to hand back the Guantanamo Bay naval base as part of efforts to normalise bilateral ties.
- Sisi cuts short visit over Sinai Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:36:42 GMT
- Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi cuts short a visit to an African Union summit to deal with attacks that killed at least 32 in the Sinai peninsula.
- Canadian PM seeks wider terror laws Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:52:48 GMT
- Encouraging terror attacks against Canada will become a crime under legislation proposed by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- Army to set up 'social media unit' Sat, 31 Jan 2015 02:34:39 GMT
- The Army is setting up a new unit that will use psychological operations and social media to help fight wars "in the information age".
- Churchill's funeral anniversary marked Fri, 30 Jan 2015 22:10:36 GMT
- Events are held to mark the 50th anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill's funeral, with the boat that carried his coffin repeating its Thames journey.
- Cumberbatch in call for gay pardons Sat, 31 Jan 2015 00:12:26 GMT
- Benedict Cumberbatch and members of codebreaker Alan Turing's family are among those calling for thousands of men who were prosecuted for being gay to be pardoned.
- Midnight tax return deadline looms Sat, 31 Jan 2015 00:18:26 GMT
- Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to log on today to file a self-assessment tax return and avoid a £100 fine.
- In pictures: Destruction in Kobane Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:23:34 GMT
- Devastation caused by fighting in Syrian town
- Day in pictures: 30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:20:45 GMT
- Images from around the world: 30 January
- At the pump Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:47:07 GMT
- Petrol stations around the world
- In pictures: UK snow 29 January 2015 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:04:39 GMT
- Pictures from around the country
- Your pictures: City skylines Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:50:51 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "city skylines"
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January