"It does not matter how many books you have, but how good the books are which you have."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- Pope complains of 'haggard' Europe Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:29:59 GMT
- Pope Francis warns that Europe appears "somewhat elderly" and less and less a protagonist, in a speech to EU politicians in Strasbourg.
- Colombia rebels release two soldiers Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:47:42 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebels release two soldiers taken hostage earlier this month, a first step towards resuming peace talks.
- Raqqa air strikes 'kill dozens' Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:58:54 GMT
- At least 36 civilians have been killed in air strikes by Syrian government warplanes on the Islamic State-held northern city of Raqqa, activists say.
- Five children die in US house fire Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:00:31 GMT
- Five children have died after a fire destroyed a mobile home in a small town in southern Texas, local media report.
- Learning disability care 'failing' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:04:27 GMT
- The government is failing those with learning disabilities by keeping them in hospitals far from home for too long, a report commissioned by NHS England says.
- New anti-terror powers to be unveiled Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:38:44 GMT
- New measures to tackle terrorism are to be published by the home secretary, days after she said the UK faces a "greater" terror threat than ever before.
- Vodafone gave too much data to police Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:02:33 GMT
- Vodafone sent the phone data of more than 1,000 News UK workers to police after being asked for the details of just one journalist, the Met Police says.
- Call for £2bn more for NHS in England Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:00:46 GMT
- Calls for extra money for the NHS in England are intensifying after latest figures show the deficit is growing as performance deteriorates.
- Day in pictures: 25 November 2014 Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:34:05 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 25 November
- In pictures: Ruling sparks rioting in US town of Ferguson Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:45:45 GMT
- Night of unrest follows a jury's decision
- The dangerous beauty of the Himalayas Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:15:29 GMT
- The dangerous beauty of the Himalayas
- Week in pictures: 15-21 November 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:43:22 GMT
- The best news photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 24 November 2014 Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:49:11 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 24 November
- In pictures: Snow chaos in north-eastern US Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:54:20 GMT
- Snowstorm hits north-east of the United States
- Day in pictures: 21 November 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:31:30 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 21 November