"It seems to me the book has not just aesthetic values-- the charming little clothy box of the thing, the smell of the glue, even the print, which has its own beauty. But there's something about the sensation of ink on paper that is in some sense a thing, a phenomenon rather than an epiphenomenon. I can't break the association of electric trash with the computer screen. Words on the screen give the sense of being just another passing electronic wriggle."
—John Hoyer Updike (b. 1932) American writer, Rabbit, Run, Rabbit at Rest
- Rain, hail and lightning cause chaos Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:47:29 GMT
- Lightning strikes, hail, torrential rain and flash flooding cause homes to be evacuated and bring road and rail transport to a standstill.
- Week in pictures: 19-25 July 2014 Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:04:19 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- A community's tales Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:56:05 GMT
- Sound-portraits of the residents of Carrick-on-Suir
- Day in pictures: 25 July 2014 Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:50:49 GMT
- 24 hours of news photos: 25 July
- 'Hidden' photos reveal library build Fri, 25 Jul 2014 04:44:32 GMT
- 'Hidden' images reveal Cambridge's University Library
- Your pictures: Cycling Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:14:53 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "cycling"
- Dream Cars: Innovative Design, Visionary Ideas Wed, 23 Jul 2014 01:14:09 GMT
- Concept designs by famous manufacturers on show in US
- Taiwan plane crash: In pictures Thu, 24 Jul 2014 04:50:20 GMT
- TransAsia Airways plane crashes in Taiwan
- Prince George's first year Tue, 22 Jul 2014 03:37:31 GMT
- Prince George's first year
- No place to hide for children of war Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:09:45 GMT
- Lyse Doucet on the plight of children in Syria and Gaza
- Germany's super-shy super-rich Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:31:29 GMT
- Why do Germany's super-rich so often keep their heads down?
- Day in pictures: 28 July 2014 Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:34:19 GMT
- The best news photos from around the world in the past 24 hours
- When gin was full of sulphuric acid and turpentine Mon, 28 Jul 2014 08:45:05 GMT
- The time when gin was full of sulphuric acid and turpentine
- The bakery in the middle of a desert Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:01:16 GMT
- Why two Spanish sisters started a bakery in a desert
- VIDEO: The facts about global travel Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:11:12 GMT
- Where does the world go on holiday, and why?