"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves."
—Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) British writer, A Room with a View
- Are humans getting cleverer? Mon, 02 Mar 2015 00:03:55 GMT
- What is behind the so-called Flynn Effect - the pattern of rising IQ scores around the world?
- Finnish punk band set for Eurovision Sun, 01 Mar 2015 14:46:24 GMT
- A punk band made up of musicians with learning disabilities is chosen to represent Finland at the Eurovision Song Contest.
- Iceland paper published back to front Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:20:19 GMT
- An Icelandic newspaper publishes an issue back to front in honour of its audience's traditional reading habits.
- Namibia president wins $5m award Mon, 02 Mar 2015 17:36:26 GMT
- Outgoing Namibian President Hifikepunye Pohamba wins the world's most valuable individual award, the Mo Ibrahim prize for African leadership.
- Australia to bolster force in Iraq Tue, 03 Mar 2015 02:59:37 GMT
- Australia is to more than double its contingent of troops training local forces in Iraq, Prime Minister Tony Abbott says.
- France 'rebuked over smacking' Mon, 02 Mar 2015 18:50:25 GMT
- Europe's top rights watchdog is set to rule that France's guidance over spanking children is not sufficiently clear, Le Monde newspaper reports.
- Argentine leader hails lower debt Sun, 01 Mar 2015 22:44:41 GMT
- Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner defends her economic policy in her last speech to Congress before she steps down in December.
- Libya names Haftar as army chief Mon, 02 Mar 2015 18:15:06 GMT
- Libya's internationally recognised government in Tobruk names former controversial anti-Islamist Khalifa Haftar as the new head of the national army.
- FBI sued for Boston bombing death Mon, 02 Mar 2015 18:20:33 GMT
- The family of a man who was killed by the FBI as agents investigated the Boston marathon bombings is suing the agency.
- 'No hiding' from abuse failures Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:30:39 GMT
- There is "no hiding" from the failures of authorities in Oxfordshire where young girls were groomed, a retired detective tells Newsnight.
- Baby deaths inquiry report due Tue, 03 Mar 2015 01:06:17 GMT
- Failures at a maternity unit where a number of newborn babies and mothers died are expected to be exposed later.
- Ex-Spurs midfielder Mackay dies Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:26:49 GMT
- Former Tottenham, Derby, Hearts and Scotland midfielder Dave Mackay dies, aged 80.
- 'Attractive jihadists lure UK girls' Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:58:06 GMT
- "Attractive" jihadist fighters can be "eye candy" to lure in British Muslim girls, a woman who was radicalised online tells BBC Newsnight.
- Day in pictures: 2 March 2015 Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:33:44 GMT
- Images from around the world: 2 March
- Leonard 'Spock' Nimoy: Life in pictures Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:08:51 GMT
- Leonard 'Spock' Nimoy has died