"Nothing, it appears to me is of greater value in a man than the power of judgement; and the man who has it may be compared to a chest fulled with books, for he is the son of nature and the father of art."
—Pietro Aretino (1492-1556) Italian poet, writer, dramatist
- Sporting icons pay tribute to Mandela Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:59:31 GMT
- Muhammad Ali and Pele lead tributes to South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95.
- What 'outraged modesty' means in India Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:29:16 GMT
- Why women who have been raped may find their character on trial when they take a case to court.
- How to kill off World Cup 'group of death' Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:40:15 GMT
- As fans prepare for the draw for next year's World Cup in Brazil, Ben Carter considers how the process could be made fairer.
- US teacher shot dead in Libya Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:43:29 GMT
- An American teacher is gunned down by unknown assailants while jogging in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi, local officials say.
- Biden urges Seoul-Tokyo co-operation Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:22:27 GMT
- US Vice-President Joe Biden urges Japan and South Korea to improve ties, amid tensions over China's air zone and North Korea.
- Spain face Dutch in repeat of final Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:03:38 GMT
- Spain will open their defence of the World Cup against 2010 finalists Netherlands at next year's tournament in Brazil.
- Jaguar Land Rover invests in Brazil Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:19:24 GMT
- Jaguar Land Rover confirms plans to build a £240m car plant in Brazil capable of producing 24,000 vehicles a year.
- Al-Qaeda claims Yemen ministry raid Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:45:33 GMT
- Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) says it was behind an attack on Yemen's defence ministry on Thursday that left 52 people dead.
- More men chat in girls' 'dialect' Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:37:45 GMT
- More men in California rise in pitch at the end of their sentences when talking, new research shows.
- Many GP cancer referrals 'too slow' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 02:15:06 GMT
- Thousands of people eventually diagnosed with cancer are not being referred to specialists quickly enough by GPs, NHS England figures suggest.
- Queen leads Nelson Mandela tributes Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:40:10 GMT
- A vigil is held in London's Trafalgar Square, after the Queen says she is "deeply saddened" to learn of Nelson Mandela's death.
- Damage assessed amid flood clean up Sat, 07 Dec 2013 03:24:44 GMT
- Communities on the east coast of England are assessing the damage caused by the worst tidal surge for 60 years, as the clean-up operation continues.
- Landmark case 'could help' victims Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:03:54 GMT
- Victims of crime could benefit from a "landmark" case which saw a man jailed for a series of sex assaults and rape, the Crown Prosecution Service says.
- In pictures: Mourning Mandela Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:08:34 GMT
- Images from South Africa and around the world
- Day in pictures: 6 December 2013 Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:41:36 GMT
- 24 hours of news photos: 6 December