"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
—Erich Fromm (1900-80) German-born American psychoanalyst, emphasized role of social conditioning
- 'Nine million have TB' - WHO report Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:17:01 GMT
- The World Health Organization revises its estimate as to how many people have tuberculosis up by 500,000, in its latest report into the killer disease.
- Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:18:21 GMT
- Real Madrid score three goals in the first half to secure a comfortable 3-0 win at Liverpool in the Champions League.
- RSC Anderlecht 1-2 Arsenal Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:03:46 GMT
- Arsenal score twice in the final two minutes to earn a dramatic comeback win at Champions League opponents Anderlecht.
- The man who magically made maths fun Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:08:32 GMT
- The maths writer Martin Gardner, who died in 2010, is said to have turned dozens of innocent youngsters into professors - and vice-versa.
- The anarchic experimental schools of the 1970s Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:37:48 GMT
- Today, the "free" in free school stands for the freedom to found a school outside council control. But back in the 1970s young idealists created a very different type of free school.
- Somali teenager 'stoned to death' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:47:13 GMT
- An Islamic court has stoned an 18-year-old to death in southern Somalia after convicting him of raping a woman, a pro-Islamist news site reports.
- Protest group ends Islamabad sit-in Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:47:29 GMT
- Supporters of a leading anti-government cleric in Pakistan end a two-month protest in the capital Islamabad against PM Nawaz Sharif, but others remain.
- Total plane crash driver 'got lost' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:57:12 GMT
- A snowplough driver at a Moscow airport says he lost his bearings before a collision with a plane that killed Total oil boss Christophe de Margerie.
- Cuba leads way on Ebola effort Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:01:11 GMT
- Cuba sends a second group of medical staff to West Africa to help fight the Ebola outbreak, becoming the biggest single provider of healthcare workers.
- UN chief plans Gaza conflict inquiry Wed, 22 Oct 2014 03:54:24 GMT
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon says he is setting up an inquiry into attacks on UN facilities during Israel's recent offensive in the Gaza Strip.
- Freed N Korea detainee back in US Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:53:07 GMT
- A US citizen freed from detention in North Korea receives an emotional homecoming in Ohio as Washington works to release two other Americans.
- Police 'let down' abuse-risk children Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:04:05 GMT
- A whistleblower tells the BBC hundreds of people at risk of sexual exploitation in Sheffield were let down by police.
- PM: Buck stops with me on criminals Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:35:18 GMT
- Prime Minister David Cameron tells MPs the "buck stops with me" when it comes to deporting foreign criminals from the UK.
- IRA let down abuse victims - Adams Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:18:58 GMT
- Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams apologises to sex abuse victims "let down" by the IRA during the Troubles.
- Juncker: Migration rules must stay Wed, 22 Oct 2014 20:04:16 GMT
- EU Commission boss Jean-Claude Juncker insists freedom of movement rules cannot be changed, putting him at odds with the UK.