"Don't join the book burners. Do not think you are going to conceal thoughts by concealing evidence that they ever existed."
—Dwight David Eisenhower (1890-1969) 34th US President, Republican
- Web attacks 'growing' in volume Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:39:32 GMT
- Hacktivists and angry gamers are becoming the main users of net attacks that knock sites offline by bombarding them with data, suggests a report
- Wired dazed after offer goes viral Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:45:51 GMT
- Wired magazine apologises to subscribers after becoming "overwhelmed" by demand for a fitness tracker gift offer that went viral on the internet.
- Petty given credit on Sam Smith song Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:35:28 GMT
- Tom Petty is given a song writing credit on Sam Smith's hit Stay With Me over the similarities to his 1989 track I Won't Back Down.
- Joan Rivers' daughter sues clinic Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:31:51 GMT
- Joan Rivers' daughter files a malpractice claim against the New York clinic that treated her mother days before she died.
- Best ever view of asteroid Ceres Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:44:22 GMT
- The best image ever acquired of Ceres, the largest asteroid in the Solar System, is now in the hands of science.
- England's environment 'in decline' Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:52:40 GMT
- England's natural environment is in decline and its deterioration is harming the economy, an independent advisory group warns.
- WHO vows reform after Ebola 'shocks' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:01:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization sets out plans for reform, admitting it was too slow to respond to the "horrific" Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Dementia 'link' to common drugs Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:27:30 GMT
- A study links commonly used medicines, including over-the-counter treatments for conditions such as insomnia and hay-fever, to dementia.
- Murray into Australian Open semis Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:40:53 GMT
- Britain's Andy Murray reaches the Australian Open semi-finals with a straight-sets win over home favourite Nick Kyrgios.
- Narine withdraws from World Cup Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:37:46 GMT
- Spinner Sunil Narine withdraws from the West Indies squad for the Cricket World Cup after remodelling his bowling action.
- The camera that captured readers' lives Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:36:10 GMT
- Readers from around the world share their photographs, old and new, taken with Brownie cameras.
- Five ways an American changed how Sherlock Holmes looks and talks Mon, 26 Jan 2015 01:30:43 GMT
- A 1916 silent movie featuring Sherlock Holmes - long presumed lost - is due to have its premiere in Paris. It stars a man who changed the way we see Conan Doyle's famous sleuth forever.
- Turkmenistan 'bans black cars' Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:32:45 GMT
- Customs officials in the Central Asian country say people should buy white cars instead.
- Secession debate in Czech border town Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:52:27 GMT
- Mayor of Hora Svate Kateriny says an planned mine expansion would cut off the town.
- Burundi army accused of murder Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:05:41 GMT
- Witnesses tell the BBC that Burundian soldiers killed 17 rebels after they surrendered, but the army insists they were killed in combat.