"Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom."
—Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) 3rd US President, Democrat
- Antibiotic 'link to child obesity' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:02:29 GMT
- A large American study suggests young children who are given repeated courses of antibiotics are more likely than those given fewer drugs to be obese.
- Children hit by tooth decay at three Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:28:02 GMT
- More than one in 10 three-year-olds have tooth decay, the first survey of the age group shows.
- Man Utd consider midweek friendlies Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:26:13 GMT
- Manchester United are thinking about playing midweek friendly matches abroad in the absence of Champions League football.
- Pardew set to stay as Newcastle boss Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:08:32 GMT
- Newcastle manager Alan Pardew's job is thought to be safe for the time being, despite his side being second bottom of the top flight.
- One people, 1,200 sausages Mon, 29 Sep 2014 00:18:46 GMT
- The history of Germany in beer and bratwurst.
- A jihadist beheading in middle America? Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:20:24 GMT
- It is still unclear whether a man who beheaded his co-worker did so in a violent rage, or as an act of jihad.
- Libya parliament rivals hold talks Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:43:45 GMT
- Representatives from rival factions in Libya's new parliament have held UN-brokered talks for the first time in the oasis town of Ghadames.
- Japan volcano eruption intensifies Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:45:25 GMT
- Efforts to recover the bodies of at least 24 climbers are suspended again after the eruption on Japan's Mount Ontake intensifies.
- EU vote not like Scotland - Cameron Tue, 30 Sep 2014 08:32:17 GMT
- The prime minister says he cares "about a thousand times more strongly" about keeping the UK together than he does about staying in the EU.
- Venezuela defends Clorox seizure Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:34:46 GMT
- Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro defends his government's decision to seize a US-owned factory following the departure from Venezuela of Clorox.
- IS and Iraq battle over key town Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:50:18 GMT
- Iraqi ground forces, backed by air strikes, appear to have halted advancing Islamic State (IS) militants in a key town near Baghdad.
- Intruder 'ran through' White House Tue, 30 Sep 2014 00:07:27 GMT
- A man arrested for breaking into the White House earlier this month gained access to more of the building than previously believed, US media report.
- May: New extremism powers needed Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:29:37 GMT
- A future Conservative government would seek new powers to ban extremist groups and curb the activities of "harmful" individuals, Theresa May says.
- PM vows seven-day GP access by 2020 Tue, 30 Sep 2014 07:51:29 GMT
- David Cameron announces plans to ensure seven-day GP access is rolled out across England by 2020.
- Pupils' images on teacher's computer Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:25:37 GMT
- Indecent images of pupils are found on the computer of an Essex deputy head teacher who was recently found dead.