"History is written by the winners. The books say the Indians were bad guys and the whites just needed a little land. It's like, Excuse me, let me take your car. I'm discovering it. I'm putting my flag on your windshield."
—Mario Van Peebles
- Experts to review stroke clot-buster Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:20:11 GMT
- The UK medicines watchdog is setting up a review to look at the safety of alteplase, a clot-busting drug often used to treat strokes.
- Double vaccines 'could end polio' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:31:23 GMT
- Using both types of polio vaccine could speed up efforts to free the world of the crippling and potentially fatal disease, research suggests.
- I'm not racist nor sexist - Mackay Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:37:53 GMT
- Ex-Cardiff boss Malky Mackay says he is no "racist, sexist, homophobe or anti-Semite" after sending offensive text messages.
- Ecclestone to continue in F1 role Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:47:51 GMT
- Bernie Ecclestone tells the BBC he wants to run Formula 1 for as long as he can after paying £60m to end a bribery trial.
- What are the main reasons men pay for sex? Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:02:54 GMT
- There's a stereotypical image of the kind of men who go to prostitutes. How do they explain paying for sex?
- Is anti-Semitism rising? Wed, 20 Aug 2014 23:18:37 GMT
- Does the evidence support claims that anti-Semitism has risen since the recent conflict between Israel and Palestinians in Gaza?
- Army takes over Miss Uganda contest Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:59:26 GMT
- Forces hope Miss Uganda will boost agriculture.
- India's Kerala to ban alcohol sales Fri, 22 Aug 2014 04:57:34 GMT
- Authorities in the southern Indian state of Kerala outline plans to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol to tackle the state's drink problem.
- Lithuania envoy killed in Ukraine Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:31:43 GMT
- Lithuania says its honorary consul has been murdered by "terrorists" in Luhansk, in rebel-held eastern Ukraine.
- Argentina debt plan ruled 'illegal' Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:32:35 GMT
- Argentina's plan to ask investors holding defaulted bonds to swap them for new locally issued debt is ruled "illegal" by a US court.
- Iraqi Christians welcomed in France Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:38:41 GMT
- France welcomes about 40 Iraqi Christian refugees flown to Paris from Irbil in Iraqi Kurdistan after fleeing Islamist fighters.
- IS militants 'biggest threat' to US Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:59:48 GMT
- Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq are the most dangerous threat the US has faced in recent years, senior American officials warn.
- UK won't work with Assad - Hammond Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:52:30 GMT
- Britain will not work with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in the battle against Islamic State extremists, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond says.
- Cliff police and BBC to face MPs Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:28:57 GMT
- BBC and South Yorkshire Police chiefs are summoned before MPs after a claim of a "cover-up" over the raid on Sir Cliff Richard's home.
- Rapid 'doctor's assistant' expansion Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:14:05 GMT
- The NHS is to rapidly expand the number of physician associates, who take histories of patients, examine them and make simple diagnoses.