"The lessons taught in great books are misleading. The commerce in life is rarely so simple and never so just."
- Blind Massage in Golden Horse sweep Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:58:09 GMT
- Chinese-French film Blind Massage picks up six awards at Taiwan's 51st Golden Horse awards.
- O'Keeffe work sets female art record Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:58:45 GMT
- A floral painting by late US artist Georgia O'Keeffe sells for $44.4m (£28.8m) at auction, setting a record for an artwork by a female artist.
- Climate fund receives $9.3bn pledge Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:39:16 GMT
- Thirty nations meeting in Berlin have pledged $9.3bn (£6bn) for a fund to help developing countries cut emissions and prepare for climate change.
- Embrace the arts, engineers told Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:00:25 GMT
- Engineering needs to emphasise its creative side to encourage more young people to take it up as a career, says a leading member of the profession.
- Ebola 'stable' in Guinea - WHO Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is now "stable" in Guinea, the country where the latest crisis began, the World Health Organization says.
- Female bosses 'more depressed' Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:59:57 GMT
- Women with job authority are more likely than men to display symptoms of depression, according to research in the US.
- Stenson retains World Tour Championship Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:27:32 GMT
- Sweden's Henrik Stenson retains his DP World Tour Championship title, finishing two shots ahead of Rory McIlroy.
- Messi will leave 'unreachable' record Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:09:44 GMT
- Lionel Messi's Spanish goalscoring record will never be beaten, according to Barcelona coach Luis Enrique.
- Is winning 100 caps still a big deal? Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:11:40 GMT
- Wayne Rooney recently became the ninth English footballer to win 100 caps but is it easier to do this now than it was a generation ago?
- Monsieur Romieu - a 'man of talents' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:12:18 GMT
- At a time of international conflict two centuries ago, did Britain assassinate an enemy agent while the world was looking the other way?
- Police in toastie mercy dash Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:39:56 GMT
- Officers in New Zealand come to the rescue of a distressed woman who hadn't eaten for three days.
- Writing lessons give way to typing Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:25:46 GMT
- Finnish students will no longer be taught joined-up handwriting, and will get typing lessons instead.
- Kenya bus gunmen 'want religious war' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:14:16 GMT
- The slaughter of 28 people on a bus in Kenya is an attempt to start a religious war, an adviser to President Uhuru Kenyatta tells the BBC.
- US 'to expand' Afghan combat role Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:30:28 GMT
- US troops in Afghanistan will have a broader role than initially planned next year, as their combat mission draws to a close, US officials say.
- West 'seeks Russia regime change' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:09:49 GMT
- Western sanctions against Russia over its role in Ukraine are aimed at forcing regime change in Moscow, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says.