"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:58:32 GMT
- A three-day curfew is under way in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.
- Ebola health team killed in Guinea Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:58:45 GMT
- Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers in Guinea, officials say.
- Alonso top in Singapore practice Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:44:23 GMT
- Ferrari's Fernando Alonso is fastest in final practice at the Singapore Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton sits in sixth.
- 'Remove points and titles over FFP' Sat, 20 Sep 2014 09:51:47 GMT
- Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says clubs who breach Financial Fair Play rules should face sanctions, rather than fines.
- My family and other ibex Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:20:10 GMT
- The mountain goats of the Italian Alps used to be encountered by any hiker who ventured high enough. Not any more.
- The father of 26 preaching birth control Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:19:25 GMT
- Rural women in Ivory Coast typically work from dawn to dusk, while men get time off to relax. But now some men are being sent back to school.
- ICC summons Kenya leader to hearing Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:33:50 GMT
- The International Criminal Court orders Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta to appear on 8 October, over claims his government obstructed prosecutors.
- GSK fined $490m by China for bribery Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:28:01 GMT
- China fines UK pharmaceuticals firm GlaxoSmithKline $490m (£297m) for bribery and its former head of Chinese operations is given a suspended jail sentence.
- William starts solo visit to Malta Sat, 20 Sep 2014 07:05:37 GMT
- The Duke of Cambridge is to celebrate Malta's 50th anniversary of independence on an official visit to the country, as a last-minute replacement for his pregnant wife.
- Mexico 'leading drug lord' killed Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:52:41 GMT
- Mexican police find the body of Aquiles Gomez, who was believed to be one of the top leaders of the Knights Templar drug cartel.
- Turkey opens border to Syrian Kurds Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:20:10 GMT
- Turkey allows thousands of Syrian Kurds fleeing Islamic State to cross its southern border, as the militants close in on a strategic Syrian town.
- NFL boss sorry over abuse scandals Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:01:08 GMT
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he 'got it wrong' in dealing with issues of domestic violence that have plagued the league over the past weeks.
- Alice search 'largest since 7/7' Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:31:00 GMT
- The hunt for missing 14-year-old Alice Gross is the largest police search operation led by the Metropolitan Police since the 7/7 bomb attacks, the force says.
- Mother charged with murdering baby Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:59:25 GMT
- A mother is charged with murdering her newborn baby girl whose body was found at a house in Bristol.
- Labour attacks England-only MP votes Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:02:33 GMT
- Labour warns that creating England-only Commons votes will mean "two classes of MP", as parties deal with Scotland's rejection of independence.