"It does not matter how many books you have, but how good the books are which you have."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- Cancer teen hits £1m charity target Wed, 23 Apr 2014 13:54:57 GMT
- A teenage blogger with terminal cancer raises more than £1m for charity after posting his final message to followers.
- Real Madrid 1-0 Bayern Munich Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:59:50 GMT
- Karim Benzema's goal gives Real Madrid the advantage in their Champions League semi-final against holders Bayern Munich.
- Why Palestinians love St George Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:14:26 GMT
- As England celebrates the day of its patron saint, many Palestinians are gearing up for their own celebrations of this shared hero.
- The man who takes troubled youths to therapy camp Tue, 22 Apr 2014 00:06:17 GMT
- As more and more families send their drug and alcohol-addicted kids to therapeutic wilderness camps in the US, more and more become acquainted with the shadowy figure known as the "escort."
- DR Congo train in deadly derailment Wed, 23 Apr 2014 16:18:40 GMT
- At least 63 people have been killed after a freight train overloaded with passengers derailed in Katanga in south-eastern DR Congo, officials say.
- Everest Sherpas discuss boycott Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:52:44 GMT
- Sherpa guides in Nepal are meeting climbers at Everest base camp to decide whether to continue ascents after an avalanche on Friday killed 16 of their colleagues.
- Russian Duma passes film swearing ban Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:41:41 GMT
- Russia's lower house passes a bill banning swearing from films, music and other works of art.
- Dancer's death sparks Rio clashes Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:40:15 GMT
- Weeks before the World Cup, deadly clashes break out in the Brazilian city of Rio after the body of a young man is found, allegedly beaten by police.
- Lebanese MPs fail to elect president Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:27:10 GMT
- Members of Lebanon's parliament fail to elect a new president at the first attempt before Michel Suleiman's six-year term expires on 25 May.
- Chelsea Manning granted name change Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:51:17 GMT
- The soldier who leaked US government documents to Wikileaks is granted the right to legally change her name from Bradley to Chelsea.
- Asthma inhalers may go into schools Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:51:31 GMT
- Plans to allow schools to keep asthma inhalers go to public consultation, as campaigners say current rules endanger hundreds of thousands of children.
- Duchess of Cornwall's brother dies Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:32:23 GMT
- The Duchess of Cornwall's brother, Mark Shand, dies in a New York hospital after sustaining a serious head injury in a fall.
- Asylum housing badly managed - MPs Wed, 23 Apr 2014 23:59:22 GMT
- A Home Office scheme resulted in asylum seekers being placed in "unacceptably poor" housing, the Commons Public Accounts Committee says.
- Lib Dems 'to fight for EU cause' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:13:04 GMT
- Nick Clegg will pledge to speak "loudly, passionately and unequivocally" against "isolationists" when he launches the Liberal Democrat campaign for the European elections.
- Day in pictures: 23 April 2014 Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:59:55 GMT
- News photos from past 24 hours: 23 April