"There is no reason why the same man should like the same book at 18 and at 48."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Virtual reality takes to the sky Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:43:01 GMT
- Qantas becomes first airline to offer passengers in-flight entertainment via a virtual reality headset.
- Coder creates smallest chess game Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:18:51 GMT
- A computer programmer creates a computer chess program that takes up only 487 bytes of data, breaking a 33-year-old record.
- Thorn Birds author McCullough dies Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:57:50 GMT
- Australian author Colleen McCullough, best known for her novel The Thorn Birds, dies aged 77.
- Man killed on Scorsese film set Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:52:23 GMT
- One man is killed and two others are injured on the set of Martin Scorsese's latest film set in Taiwan.
- Climate concern 'linked to floods' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:23:22 GMT
- Belief in the reality of climate change has risen among the British public, partly because of the 2013 winter floods, according to a report.
- Icebergs 'have sound signature' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 08:55:04 GMT
- Listening to icebergs could help to assess the extent of glacier melt, a study suggests.
- Ebola virus mutating, scientists say Thu, 29 Jan 2015 05:55:38 GMT
- Scientists at the Institut Pasteur in France who are tracking the Ebola outbreak in Guinea say the virus has mutated.
- Bank chief warns of pandemic threat Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:42:22 GMT
- The world is "dangerously unprepared" for future pandemics like the deadly Ebola outbreak, the president of the World Bank warns.
- Murray in fourth Aussie Open final Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:23:48 GMT
- Andy Murray comes storming back after a poor start to beat Tomas Berdych and reach his fourth Australian Open final.
- MOTD remains on BBC TV until 2019 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:49:57 GMT
- The BBC renews its deal to show Premier League highlights on Match of the Day for a further three years.
- The village that just got its first fridge Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:03:18 GMT
- About a quarter of homes in India have a fridge - for the first time a family in one village near Calcutta has installed one in their house.
- The twins of Auschwitz Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:04:40 GMT
- On the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp, survivors of experiments on twins recall their treatment at the hands of SS doctor Josef Mengele.
- Florida cat crawls out of grave Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:37:01 GMT
- A cat in Florida who was presumed dead after being run over appears five days later having somehow escaped its grave.
- Port spat puts squeeze on US islands Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:57:34 GMT
- Congestion in US ports means the Pacific island territory of American Samoa is running out of basic supplies.
- Chad 'forces Boko Haram from town' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:13:21 GMT
- Chad's army has driven Boko Haram militants out of Malumfatori town in north-eastern Nigeria, a senior official from Niger tells the BBC.