"Liesure without books is death, and burial of a man alive."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- Feet home to more than 100 fungi Wed, 22 May 2013 17:00:21 GMT
- Fungi live all over the human body but their favourite spots are the heel, under toenails and between the toes, according to a US study.
- Tour chief sorry for 'coloured' remark Thu, 23 May 2013 20:34:46 GMT
- European Tour chief George O'Grady apologises for using the phrase "coloured athletes" while defending Sergio Garcia.
- Hughes in contention for Stoke job Thu, 23 May 2013 22:05:34 GMT
- Former QPR boss Mark Hughes emerges as a leading contender to replace Tony Pulis as Stoke City manager.
- Quiz of the week's news Fri, 24 May 2013 00:42:10 GMT
- The Magazine's weekly quiz of the news, 7 days 7 questions.
- Are people drinking too much coffee? Thu, 23 May 2013 00:58:11 GMT
- US officials are investigating the safety of caffeine in snacks and energy drinks. Is society too dependent on the world's favourite drug?
- Darfur conflict 'displaces 300,000' Thu, 23 May 2013 21:45:43 GMT
- Some 300,000 people have fled fighting in Sudan's Darfur region in the first five months of 2013, the UN's top aid official Valerie Amos warns.
- Dhaka collapse probe uncovers abuses Thu, 23 May 2013 11:28:28 GMT
- A Bangladesh government report into the collapse of a multi-storey factory building, which killed more than 1,100, uncovers a series of violations.
- Russia to evacuate Arctic station Thu, 23 May 2013 14:49:44 GMT
- A Russian drifting Arctic research station is to be evacuated because the ice field around it is melting, the environment ministry in Moscow reports.
- Ecuador satellite space crash fears Fri, 24 May 2013 00:39:08 GMT
- Space engineers in Ecuador are trying to establish if the country's only satellite has been damaged in a crash with space debris.
- Transition plan floated for Syria Thu, 23 May 2013 16:55:47 GMT
- As Syria's main opposition coalition begins three days of key talks, its leader puts forward a transition plan for the country.
- 'Active' US hurricane season seen Fri, 24 May 2013 01:57:13 GMT
- US forecasters predict an "active or extremely active" Atlantic hurricane season of seven to 11 hurricanes, up from the average of six.
- Sex education 'must counter porn' Fri, 24 May 2013 00:53:00 GMT
- In an age when "extremely violent and sadistic imagery is two clicks away", school sex education is struggling to keep pace, suggests a study.
- Boat pair killed by generator fumes Fri, 24 May 2013 02:00:35 GMT
- A mother and daughter who died after falling ill on a boat in the Lake District were killed by generator fumes, an investigation finds.
- Day in pictures: 22 May 2013 Wed, 22 May 2013 11:18:56 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photoss: 22 May
- In pictures: Keeping cool in India's heat wave Wed, 22 May 2013 12:29:46 GMT
- In the grip of a scorching heat wave