"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- China overtakes EU on 'per head' CO2 Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:42:48 GMT
- New research shows China's rising emissions per head of population have overtaken the EU while the global total reaches a new high.
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:58:32 GMT
- A three-day curfew is under way in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.
- Ebola health team killed in Guinea Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:58:45 GMT
- Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers in Guinea, officials say.
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:36:07 GMT
- Manchester United let a 3-1 lead slip as Leicester City fight back to secure a stunning victory at the King Power Stadium.
- Hamilton takes title lead after win Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:59:04 GMT
- Lewis Hamilton leads the World Championship after victory in the Singapore Grand Prix as Nico Rosberg retires.
- The scary element that helps probe space's secrets Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:00:00 GMT
- Plutonium may be the most feared substance in the entire periodic table, but it also has peaceful us
- Why I'll risk my life for Ebola patients Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:05:11 GMT
- Cokie Van Der Velde, a water and sanitation specialist, has just flown to Liberia - she explains why she decided to go to a place with the deadly virus.
- Boko Haram 'kills dozens' at market Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:49:35 GMT
- Islamist militants from Boko Haram attack a rural market in the Nigerian state of Borno, killing dozens, security officials and witnesses say.
- Philippines storm displaces 200,000 Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:34:20 GMT
- Tropical storm Fung-Wong brings flooding, heavy rains and high winds to the Philippines, forcing some 200,000 people from their homes.
- Prince William meets teens in Malta Sun, 21 Sep 2014 18:19:08 GMT
- The Duke of Cambridge plays table football as he meets teenagers during a visit to Malta to celebrate the country's 50 years of independence.
- Peru creates anti-logging commission Sun, 21 Sep 2014 19:49:24 GMT
- The Peruvian authorities announce a new anti-logging commission after the killings of four indigenous leaders in the Amazon rainforest.
- Yemen clashes cast doubt on 'truce' Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:26:26 GMT
- Fighting continues in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, despite an announcement that the government and Shia Houthi rebels have agreed to sign a truce.
- White House security stepped up Sun, 21 Sep 2014 04:48:24 GMT
- The US Secret Service says it has launched a comprehensive review of security at the White House after two attempted breaches in 24 hours.
- No 10 stands by Scots powers pledge Sun, 21 Sep 2014 16:51:03 GMT
- Downing Street insists it will not backtrack on its devolution pledge to Scotland despite Tory calls for swift action on more powers for English MPs.
- Witheridge family 'broken' by murder Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:25:06 GMT
- The family of murdered British tourist Hannah Witheridge say they are "broken" after she was found murdered on a Thai island.