"The lessons taught in great books are misleading. The commerce in life is rarely so simple and never so just."
- A 13-year-old eagle huntress in Mongolia Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:12:29 GMT
- A photographer recently snapped perhaps the only girl in the world learning to hunt with a golden eagle.
- How to move a T-Rex dinosaur Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:16:49 GMT
- One of the most complete tyrannosaurus skeletons ever found is being moved from Montana to Washington DC. There, hundreds of millions of people will eventually be able to view it.
- 'Mass abduction' at Nigeria school Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:25:17 GMT
- Armed men have abducted some 100 students from a girls' school in north-eastern Nigeria, officials say.
- India court recognises third gender Tue, 15 Apr 2014 13:15:21 GMT
- India's Supreme Court recognises transgender people as a third gender, in a landmark ruling which orders the government to provide key amenities.
- Berlusconi to do community service Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:04:37 GMT
- Italian ex-PM Silvio Berlusconi must perform community service in a home for the elderly, following his conviction for tax fraud.
- Chilean residents survey fire damage Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:56:36 GMT
- Residents of the Chilean city of Valparaiso return to areas burned by a fast-moving forest fire which engulfed parts of the historic port.
- Bid to extend Mid-East peace talks Tue, 15 Apr 2014 22:26:34 GMT
- Palestinian and Israeli negotiators are due to meet to try to extend faltering peace talks beyond a 29 April deadline, the US says.
- Boston marks bombing anniversary Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:58:42 GMT
- Boston marks the anniversary of the deadly bombing at last year's marathon, honouring the dead and lauding the strength of the survivors.
- Parents find out primary places Wed, 16 Apr 2014 03:00:16 GMT
- Parents across England are going to find whether they have their preferred choice of primary school place.
- 'Shocking' rise in use of food banks Wed, 16 Apr 2014 02:29:02 GMT
- Hundreds of thousands more people are turning to food banks to stop themselves from going hungry, says charity the Trussell Trust.
- UK warns Russia on long-term future Wed, 16 Apr 2014 04:33:21 GMT
- There will be serious long-term consequences if Russia continues to destabilise Ukraine, Foreign Secretary William Hague says.
- Fresh approach to NI past 'vital' Tue, 15 Apr 2014 22:59:32 GMT
- Any new process which examines NI's past must have a "proportionate focus on the wrongdoing of paramilitaries" and less on the activities of the state, the secretary of state is due to say.
- Day in pictures: 15 April 2014 Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:01:43 GMT
- News photos from past 24 hours: 15 April
- In pictures: Chile fire rages on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 20:41:57 GMT
- Huge fire in the Chilean city of Valparaiso
- In pictures: Nigeria bus blast Mon, 14 Apr 2014 15:53:51 GMT
- Aftermath of a bomb blast in Abuja