"Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them in: but as a rule the purchase of books is mistaken for the appropriation of their contents."
—Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) German philosopher, believed will to live is fundamental reality
- Beef's greater environment burden Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:08:53 GMT
- A new study says the production of beef is around 10 times more damaging to the environment than any other form of livestock.
- Three person IVF plans 'progress' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:35:39 GMT
- A public review into the three person IVF technique has been broadly supportive, says the Department of Health.
- Human body parts dumped in Tanzania Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:09:27 GMT
- Eight people from a Tanzanian medical institute are arrested after 85 bags containing human body parts are found in the city of Dar es Salaam.
- Glasgow set for opening ceremony Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:00:34 GMT
- Athletes from 71 nations will compete in the Commonwealth Games, which get under way with the opening ceremony on Wednesday.
- Real Madrid seal £71m Rodriguez deal Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:53:25 GMT
- Real Madrid sign World Cup Golden Boot winner James Rodriguez from Monaco for a fee that could rise to £71m.
- The 90-year-old sex guru Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:07:45 GMT
- Never mind the Kama Sutra, here is Dr Mahinder Watsa, India's foremost champion of sex education and an agony uncle with a cult following.
- The children left behind in hot cars Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:23:36 GMT
- Every few days in the US, there are reports of young children dying from heatstroke after being left in parked cars. Why so often?
- Nigerian leader vows to free girls Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:55:19 GMT
- Nigeria's president tells parents of the girls abducted by militant Islamists that the government is doing everything to secure their release.
- School head held over India 'rape' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:56:14 GMT
- Police in the Indian city of Bangalore arrest a school head for failing to protect children under his care after a six-year-old girl is allegedly raped.
- EU to widen Russia sanctions Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:00:20 GMT
- The EU will widen sanctions against Russia to include more individuals and consider targeting the defence sector, the Dutch foreign minister says.
- Non-stop Argentina debt talks demand Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:23:44 GMT
- A US judge orders Argentina and its creditors to meet "continuously" to avoid the nation defaulting on its debts later this month.
- Iraq monastery 'seized by militants' Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:25:38 GMT
- Islamist militants who control the Iraqi city of Mosul are reported to have seized a nearby ancient monastery and ordered the monks to leave.
- US courts conflict on Obamacare law Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:04:04 GMT
- Two US appeals courts give conflicting rulings regarding a federal regulation implementing key subsidies of President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.
- UK licensing arms exports to Russia Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:07:57 GMT
- Licences to export arms worth millions of pounds to Russia remain in place despite fears Moscow is arming rebels in Ukraine, MPs have said.
- Lib Dem MP criticised for Gaza tweet Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:44:47 GMT
- Lib Dem MP David Ward is accused of making "vile comments" on social media about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.