"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Google tries ad-free net experiment Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:30:09 GMT
- Search giant Google has unveiled an experiment that lets people pay to visit sites rather than see adverts.
- O'Keeffe work sets female art record Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:58:45 GMT
- A floral painting by late US artist Georgia O'Keeffe sells for $44.4m (£28.8m) at auction, setting a record for an artwork by a female artist.
- Cosby carries on with one-man show Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:21:18 GMT
- US entertainer Bill Cosby presses on with a series of comic engagements despite mounting allegations that he sexually assaulted a number of women.
- Climate fund receives $9.3bn pledge Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:39:16 GMT
- Thirty nations meeting in Berlin have pledged $9.3bn (£6bn) for a fund to help developing countries cut emissions and prepare for climate change.
- Embrace the arts, engineers told Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:00:25 GMT
- Engineering needs to emphasise its creative side to encourage more young people to take it up as a career, says a leading member of the profession.
- Female bosses 'more depressed' Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:59:57 GMT
- Women with job authority are more likely than men to display symptoms of depression, according to research in the US.
- Obesity 'costing same as smoking' Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:11:32 GMT
- The worldwide cost of obesity is about the same as smoking or armed conflict and greater than both alcoholism and climate change, research suggests.
- Wales 16-34 New Zealand Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:26:04 GMT
- Wales slip to a 34-16 defeat to New Zealand in Cardiff - continuing a run of 61 years without a win over the All Blacks.
- Hamilton eyes 'biggest day of life' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 22:36:12 GMT
- Lewis Hamilton says Sunday's title showdown with Nico Rosberg in Abu Dhabi will be "the biggest day of my life".
- The day the entire German fleet surrendered Thu, 20 Nov 2014 23:30:48 GMT
- Armistice Day is remembered as the day World War One ended, but for naval historians Britain's greatest victory came 10 days later.
- City at war - where a police officer is killed every day Wed, 19 Nov 2014 22:53:01 GMT
- Pakistan's police are battling the Taliban - not just in the remote north of the country near the border with Afghanistan, but in Karachi, the country's economic and cultural heart.
- Police in toastie mercy dash Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:39:56 GMT
- Officers in New Zealand come to the rescue of a distressed woman who hadn't eaten for three days.
- Writing lessons give way to typing Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:25:46 GMT
- Finnish students will no longer be taught joined-up handwriting, and will get typing lessons instead.
- Madagascar plague outbreak kills 40 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 22:38:35 GMT
- An outbreak of plague in Madagascar has killed 40 people and infected dozens of others, the World Health Organization says.
- Japanese PM Abe dissolves parliament Fri, 21 Nov 2014 06:57:49 GMT
- Japan's PM Shinzo Abe dissolves parliament paving the way for a snap election in December, as local media polls show a low level of support.