"To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations--such is a pleasure beyond compare."
- Sensors to prevent pain for amputees Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:41:59 GMT
- Researchers have developed a new type of pressure sensor - dubbed a "second skin" - which they say could prevent dangerous sores.
- Glaxo 'paid Polish doctors bribes' Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:04:46 GMT
- UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama discovers.
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:44:20 GMT
- Manchester City drop crucial points in the Premier League title race as they can only salvage a late draw against bottom side Sunderland.
- A 13-year-old eagle huntress in Mongolia Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:12:29 GMT
- A photographer recently snapped perhaps the only girl in the world learning to hunt with a golden eagle.
- How to move a T-Rex dinosaur Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:16:49 GMT
- One of the most complete tyrannosaurus skeletons ever found is being moved from Montana to Washington DC. There, hundreds of millions of people will eventually be able to view it.
- Remittance fees 'hurt Africans' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:02:01 GMT
- Communities in sub-Saharan Africa are being "hurt" by high fees charged by money transfer operators, charity Comic Relief says.
- India to vote on biggest polling day Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:03:23 GMT
- Indians are due to begin voting in the biggest day of the general election, pitting the ruling Congress party against the main opposition BJP.
- Head of oldest African park shot Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:39:39 GMT
- The Belgian director of Africa's oldest national park - Virunga in the Democratic Republic of Congo - is shot and wounded in an ambush.
- Venezuela rejects protest amnesty Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:17:59 GMT
- The Venezuelan government says it will not grant jailed opposition leaders an amnesty at talks aimed at ending anti-government protests.
- Mid-East peace talks meeting delayed Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:11:21 GMT
- A meeting between Palestinian and Israeli peace negotiators has been postponed in the wake of a killing of an Israeli in the West Bank.
- Bloomberg in $50m push for gun laws Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:39:26 GMT
- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announces a $50m (£30m) election year push for stricter gun laws across the US.
- Wage rises catch up with inflation Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:35:12 GMT
- After nearly six years of falling real wages, rises in weekly earnings have finally caught up with inflation, according to the Office for National Statistics.
- Two killed in M26 five-vehicle crash Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:35:04 GMT
- Two people die in a five-vehicle crash which closed the M26 in both directions.
- Blakelock family 'must feel angry' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:00:37 GMT
- Nicholas Jacobs, the man cleared of killing PC Keith Blakelock in 1985, says he would feel "angry and disappointed" if he was a member of the police officer's family.
- Virgin apologises for email glitch Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:11:12 GMT
- Virgin Media apologises after some of its customers received hundreds of unwanted emails because of a distribution list error.