"Everyone knows that a man can always marry even if he reaches 102, is penniless, and has all his faculties gone. There is always some woman willing to take a chance on him. (from the Complete Book of Etiquette, 1952)"
- Museum switches on historic computer Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:43:06 GMT
- A project to recreate one of Britain's pioneering computers reaches a key milestone at the National Museum of Computing.
- Birdman set to soar at Spirit Awards Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:45:04 GMT
- Showbusiness satire Birdman leads the flock at this year's Spirit Awards after being nominated for six prizes, including best film.
- Art school blaze caused by foam can Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:01:37 GMT
- Fire service report says the Glasgow School of Art blaze was caused by gases from a foam canister coming into contact with a projector.
- UK team's data bonanza from comet Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:46:50 GMT
- UK researchers obtain "rich" data from the Philae lander just before its power died.
- Climate fixes 'could harm billions' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 01:12:15 GMT
- Schemes to tackle climate change could prove disastrous for billions of people, but might be required for the good of the planet, scientists say.
- Ebola 'stable' in Guinea - WHO Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is now "stable" in Guinea, the country where the latest crisis began, the World Health Organization says.
- Brain's dementia weak spot found Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:06:07 GMT
- The brain has a weak spot for Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia, according to experts who have pinpointed the region using scans.
- England beaten despite Moeen century Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:05:23 GMT
- Moeen Ali makes his maiden century but England lose to Sri Lanka by 25 runs in the opening one-day international in Colombo.
- Boks make five changes for Wales Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:50:28 GMT
- South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer has made five changes to his starting XV to face Wales at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.
- The mysterious disappearance of a celebrity preacher Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:19:57 GMT
- Aimee Semple McPherson was one of the most glamorous women in the US in the 1920s - but there is still one unexplained mystery in the evangelist's life.
- The battle for control of the cigarette packet Mon, 24 Nov 2014 00:15:37 GMT
- As cigarette packet health warnings grow ever bigger and gorier, tobacco companies have been finding other ways to give their products a distinctive look and feel.
- Passengers 'push frozen plane' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:32:11 GMT
- People on board a flight in Russia get out and push the aircraft after its braking system freezes.
- Beijing shop 'bans Chinese people' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:05:40 GMT
- A clothes shop in the Chinese capital is embroiled in a racism row after banning locals from entering.
- Ghana cocaine bust turns political Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:20:18 GMT
- Ghana's opposition calls for a parliamentary probe into allegations that a suspected cocaine trafficker had access to the presidential lounge at the country's main international airport.
- HK policemen arrested over beating Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:34:41 GMT
- Seven Hong Kong policemen are arrested in connection with the beating of a pro-democracy protester in October.