"All of us can think of a book... that we hope none of our children have taken off the shelf. But if I have the right to remove that book from the shelf -that work I abhor- then you also have exactly the same right and so does everyone else. And then we have no books left on the shelf for any of us."
- 'Large gene find in schizophrenia' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 03:48:33 GMT
- In the largest ever genetic study of the disease, scientists have discovered some 80 genes which could leave people at higher risk of schizophrenia.
- Three person IVF plans 'progress' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:35:39 GMT
- A public review into the three person IVF technique has been broadly supportive, says the Department of Health.
- Real Madrid seal Rodriguez signing Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:37:22 GMT
- Real Madrid sign World Cup Golden Boot winner James Rodriguez from Monaco for a reported £63m.
- Cook too stubborn to quit - Boycott Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:43:36 GMT
- Alastair Cook is too "stubborn" to quit the England captaincy, says former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott.
- Seeing a doctor for the first time in seven years Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:03:42 GMT
- Healthcare reform is President Obama's signature piece of domestic legislation, and also his most controversial - but quietly, millions are signing up.
- The beaches where Lego keeps washing up Mon, 21 Jul 2014 00:12:42 GMT
- A container filled with Lego fell into the sea in 1997. The pieces are still turning up today.
- Boko Haram 'controls' Nigeria town Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:31:49 GMT
- Nigeria's militant Islamists raise their black flag in the town of Damboa after capturing it, a local vigilante leader tells the BBC.
- Ukraine rebels give up 'black boxes' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 06:44:14 GMT
- Rebels in eastern Ukraine have handed over two flight-data recorders from the downed MH17 plane to Malaysian officials.
- 'Cock-up' over Irish genealogy site Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:20:58 GMT
- Ireland's data protection watchdog criticises the government for a 'cock-up' over a genealogy site that leaked personal information
- China signs Venezuela oil deal Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:44:39 GMT
- Chinese President Xi Jinping has signed an oil deal with Venezuela, as part of a four-day tour of Latin America.
- Iraq monastery 'seized by militants' Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:25:38 GMT
- Islamist militants who control the Iraqi city of Mosul are reported to have seized a nearby ancient monastery and ordered the monks to leave.
- US hospital in $190m 'abuse' payout Mon, 21 Jul 2014 18:23:57 GMT
- Johns Hopkins Hospital agrees to pay $190m to thousands of women who joined a legal case claiming a gynaecologist secretly recorded them.
- UK pushes for more Russia sanctions Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:35:03 GMT
- The UK wants the EU to adopt tougher sanctions against Russia amid continuing fury over the airliner disaster in Ukraine.
- Prince George pictures mark birthday Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:54:17 GMT
- Two new images of Prince George are released as the third in line to the throne celebrates his first birthday on Tuesday.
- 'Disturbing' Trojan inquiry findings Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:49:45 GMT
- Nicky Morgan, the new education secretary, warns of evidence of intolerance as the government's Trojan horse report is published.