"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
—Erich Fromm (1900-80) German-born American psychoanalyst, emphasized role of social conditioning
- Global cancer cases reach 14 million Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:24:59 GMT
- The number of people being diagnosed with cancer in the world each year has leaped to more than 14 million, the World Health Organization says.
- Pakistan polio attacks - three dead Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:08:19 GMT
- Gunmen shoot dead two policemen providing security to a polio team in Pakistan, while a polio worker is killed in a separate attack.
- England did not deliver, says coach Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:41:41 GMT
- Bowling coach David Saker says England missed their opportunity on day one of the third Ashes Test against Australia in Perth.
- Injured Van Persie out for a month Fri, 13 Dec 2013 15:32:01 GMT
- Manchester United striker Robin van Persie is set to miss eight games after injuring his thigh while taking a corner.
- Can video games be literature? Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:03:04 GMT
- Once known for being crude and violent, some video games now feature sophisticated storylines and characters. Can they rate as works of art or literature?
- The revenge porn avengers Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:25:38 GMT
- When a group of young women from Texas found pictures of themselves on a revenge porn website, they decided to fight back.
- African Union to increase CAR force Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:59:17 GMT
- The African Union authorises increasing the number of soldiers deployed to Central African Republic to 6,000 as it spirals into sectarian conflict.
- China focus for Japan Asean summit Fri, 13 Dec 2013 07:51:47 GMT
- Leaders of Asean nations are in Japan for a summit likely to focus on China, as Japan seeks solidarity amid territorial tensions with Beijing.
- EU failing Syria refugees - Amnesty Fri, 13 Dec 2013 02:23:38 GMT
- European leaders should be ashamed by the paltry numbers of refugees from Syria they are prepared to resettle, human rights group Amnesty says.
- Mexico Congress approves energy bill Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:39:59 GMT
- The Mexican Congress approves legislation that opens the oil and gas sector to foreign investment for the first time in 75 years, despite protests from opposition lawmakers.
- Tunisia parties 'reach deal' on PM Fri, 13 Dec 2013 05:22:38 GMT
- Tunisia's governing Islamist Ennahda party and the opposition agree in principle on a new prime minister to lead a caretaker government.
- US House passes two-year budget deal Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:17:46 GMT
- The US House of Representatives approves a two-year federal budget bill with strong cross-party support, making another government shutdown less likely.
- Failing free school ordered to close Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:53:50 GMT
- The closure of the first failing free school has been ordered by the Department for Education, after inspectors found standards there unacceptably poor.
- Rigby defendant will not testify Fri, 13 Dec 2013 15:05:12 GMT
- The jury at the Lee Rigby murder trial is told defendant Michael Adebowale will not give or call any evidence in his defence.
- A&E units miss four-hour target Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:57:58 GMT
- The NHS in England has missed its four-hour A&E waiting time for the first time this winter, figures show.