"Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Ebola spreading too fast - WHO Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:03:21 GMT
- The Ebola outbreak is spreading faster than efforts to control it, the head of the World Health Organization tells West African leaders.
- BMJ 'right' in statins claims row Fri, 01 Aug 2014 23:25:31 GMT
- An investigation backs the British Medical Journal's handling of two controversial and inaccurate articles it published on the harms of cholesterol-reducing statins.
- Lampard set for Man City loan move Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:45:04 GMT
- Former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard is set to join Manchester City on a loan deal from New York City FC.
- Johnson drugs ban denied by PGA Sat, 02 Aug 2014 05:59:59 GMT
- Reports American golfer Dustin Johnson has been suspended for failing a drugs test are denied by the PGA Tour.
- America's 'botched' executions Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:52:41 GMT
- A string of botched lethal injections has led the US president to order an inquiry into how the death penalty is applied - but botching, it turns out, is nothing new.
- The 'Flying Sikh' who won India's first Commonwealth gold Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:21:49 GMT
- When Milkha Singh took to the track at the 1958 Commonwealth Games in Cardiff few had heard of him - but he made history.
- Uganda court annuls anti-gay law Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:52:19 GMT
- Uganda's Constitutional Court annuls a tough anti-gay law that had drawn widespread criticism by Western governments and human rights activists.
- Held GSK detective visited by son Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:09:14 GMT
- The son of a private investigator linked to a GlaxoSmithKline corruption investigation in China has been allowed to visit his father.
- Russia bans Polish fruit and veg Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:52:41 GMT
- Russia imposes a sweeping ban on imports of fruit and vegetables from Poland, as EU sanctions on Russia over Ukraine start to bite.
- Mexican media denounces 'gag law' Sat, 02 Aug 2014 00:47:29 GMT
- Mexican journalists denounce a new law that introduces a number of restrictions on crime reporting in north-eastern Sinaloa state.
- Israeli Iron Dome firms 'hacked' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:44:33 GMT
- The BBC has seen evidence that appears to confirm hackers stole secret military documents from two Israeli government-owned companies.
- US House passes $694m border bill Sat, 02 Aug 2014 01:05:31 GMT
- A bill to strengthen the US border with Mexico clears the House of Representatives but is opposed by the Senate and the White House.
- 'Purple pound should attract firms' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:03:07 GMT
- Smarter businesses could reduce the extra living costs faced by disabled people, the head of a new commission says.
- Uber taxi app 'competing unfairly' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:44:27 GMT
- The Uber taxi app is "competing unfairly" with London's black cabs, senior Labour MP Margaret Hodge says.
- Tory MP says Israel tactics 'brutal' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:55:41 GMT
- An ex-defence minister condemns Israel's Gaza offensive after a ceasefire fails, as the foreign secretary says both sides must "act proportionately".