"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
—John Burroughs (1837-1921) American naturalist, writer
- RSC Anderlecht 1-2 Arsenal Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:03:46 GMT
- Arsenal score twice in the final two minutes to earn a dramatic comeback win at Champions League opponents Anderlecht.
- Remembering Ben Bradlee Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:26:06 GMT
- Today presenter James Naughtie remembers his friend, the legendary Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee who's died aged 93.
- Tales from the India Office Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:04:32 GMT
- Millions of documents recording Britain's 350-year presence in the sub-continent reveal some exotic stories.
- Somali teenager 'stoned to death' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:47:13 GMT
- An Islamic court has stoned an 18-year-old to death in southern Somalia after convicting him of raping a woman, a pro-Islamist news site reports.
- Police 'worked to stop Batty killer' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:10:45 GMT
- Police were "working hard" to arrest an "aggressive" and "smart" abusive father who later beat his young son to death, an inquiry hears.
- Total plane crash driver 'got lost' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:57:12 GMT
- A snowplough driver at a Moscow airport says he lost his bearings before a collision with a plane that killed Total oil boss Christophe de Margerie.
- Cuba leads way on Ebola effort Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:01:11 GMT
- Cuba sends a second group of medical staff to West Africa to help fight the Ebola outbreak, becoming the biggest single provider of healthcare workers.
- Syria air force 'steps up strikes' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:41:31 GMT
- The Syrian military has stepped up its air strikes on rebel-held areas dramatically, carrying out more than 200 in recent days, activists say.
- Freed N Korea detainee back in US Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:53:07 GMT
- A US citizen freed from detention in North Korea receives an emotional homecoming in Ohio as Washington works to release two other Americans.
- NHS 'needs extra cash and overhaul' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:00:20 GMT
- The NHS in England needs extra money and drastic changes to the way services are organised if patient care is not to suffer, health bosses say.
- Police killer Roberts to be freed Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:24:25 GMT
- Police killer Harry Roberts is to be released from prison after more than 45 years, after a decision by the Parole Board.
- 'Anti-extremism' school code shelved Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:56:22 GMT
- The Department for Education has shelved plans for a code of practice for some religious schools which operate outside of mainstream education, the BBC learns.
- 'More to do' on disabled hate crimes Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:45:15 GMT
- Hate crime convictions are at an all-time high, but disability hate crime convictions have dropped, according to a new report.
- Day in pictures: 21 October Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:38:53 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 21 October
- What the floods did to Kashmir's grand heritage Mon, 20 Oct 2014 23:56:22 GMT
- What floods did to Kashmir's most treasured historic sites