"History is written by the winners. The books say the Indians were bad guys and the whites just needed a little land. It's like, Excuse me, let me take your car. I'm discovering it. I'm putting my flag on your windshield."
—Mario Van Peebles
- 'Artificial eye' to detect particles Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:12:25 GMT
- The human eye has inspired physicists to create a processor that can analyse particle collisions 400 times faster than currently possible.
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:58:32 GMT
- A three-day curfew is under way in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.
- Ebola health team killed in Guinea Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:58:45 GMT
- Eight members of a team trying to raise awareness about Ebola have been killed by villagers in Guinea, officials say.
- Hamilton takes title lead after win Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:59:04 GMT
- Lewis Hamilton leads the World Championship after victory in the Singapore Grand Prix as Nico Rosberg retires.
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:49:31 GMT
- The scary element that helps probe space's secrets Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:00:00 GMT
- Plutonium may be the most feared substance in the entire periodic table, but it also has peaceful us
- Why I'll risk my life for Ebola patients Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:05:11 GMT
- Cokie Van Der Velde, a water and sanitation specialist, has just flown to Liberia - she explains why she decided to go to a place with the deadly virus.
- Boko Haram 'kills dozens' at market Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:49:35 GMT
- Islamist militants from Boko Haram attack a rural market in the Nigerian state of Borno, killing dozens, security officials and witnesses say.
- Philippines storm displaces 200,000 Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:34:20 GMT
- Tropical storm Fung-Wong brings flooding, heavy rains and high winds to the Philippines, forcing some 200,000 people from their homes.
- Paratroops mark Arnhem WW2 battle Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:43:26 GMT
- Paratroops from Europe and the US are staging parachute jumps in the Netherlands to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem.
- Mexico 'leading drug lord' killed Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:52:41 GMT
- Mexican police find the body of Aquiles Gomez, who was believed to be one of the top leaders of the Knights Templar drug cartel.
- Yemen clashes cast doubt on 'truce' Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:26:26 GMT
- Fighting continues in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, despite an announcement that the government and Shia Houthi rebels have agreed to sign a truce.
- UN chief on streets for climate deal Sun, 21 Sep 2014 01:38:56 GMT
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will take part in a protest march this weekend to highlight global inaction on climate change.
- Witheridge family 'broken' by murder Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:25:06 GMT
- The family of murdered British tourist Hannah Witheridge say they are "broken" after she was found murdered on a Thai island.
- UK climate marches attract thousands Sun, 21 Sep 2014 15:40:09 GMT
- Thousands of people are taking part in marches for climate action in London and across the UK, ahead of a UN summit in New York on Tuesday.