"No man can be called friendless when he has God and the companionship of good books."
—Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-61) British poet
- Affleck wanted slaver ancestor hidden Sun, 19 Apr 2015 12:25:22 GMT
- After a TV programme discovered Ben Affleck had a slave-owning ancestor, the actor asked for the details not to be broadcast.
- Zayn Malik pays tribute to bandmates Sat, 18 Apr 2015 10:12:59 GMT
- Zayn Malik pays tribute to his former bandmates at an award ceremony, where he made his first solo appearance since leaving One Direction.
- UK monitoring French nuclear issue Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:01:30 GMT
- Britain's nuclear safety regulator says it expects lessons to be learned from problems with a French reactor that is very similar to one planned in the UK.
- '3D Cryosat' tracks Arctic winter ice Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:00:03 GMT
- Although Arctic sea ice set a record this year for its lowest ever satellite-observed winter extent - that was not the case for its volume, new data reveals.
- 'Preventable rabies kills 160 per day' Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:19:20 GMT
- More than 160 people die every day from rabies, despite it being a preventable disease, says a report by the Global Alliance for Rabies Control.
- Dementia 'halted in mice brains' Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:58:13 GMT
- Tweaking the brain's immune system with a drug has prevented mice developing dementia, a study shows.
- Tuchel to replace Klopp at Dortmund Sun, 19 Apr 2015 12:32:30 GMT
- Thomas Tuchel will replace the departing Jurgen Klopp as Borussia Dortmund head coach from 1 July.
- Pellegrini fears axe for fifth place Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:45:57 GMT
- Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini says he could be sacked if his team fail to finish in the top four.
- Breathing poison in the world's most polluted city Sun, 19 Apr 2015 01:27:59 GMT
- When Delhi was named as the world's most polluted city, it came as a shock to most residents. For many, that has now given way to a persistent, nagging anxiety.
- How the selfie stick was invented twice Sun, 19 Apr 2015 01:32:22 GMT
- Two men on opposite sides of the world invented the selfie stick - and first of them did it way back in the early 1980s.
- Australia PM downs beer in seconds Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:44:40 GMT
- Footage has emerged of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott downing a large glass of beer in only seconds.
- Zebras roam free in Brussels Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:12:43 GMT
- Zebras running through the streets of Brussels is only the latest "animals at large" story to hit the headlines.
- Attack on UN Mali convoy kills two Sat, 18 Apr 2015 14:42:03 GMT
- A United Nations supply convoy is attacked near the city of Gao in northern Mali, with two civilian drivers killed.
- Police 'foil Melbourne terror plot' Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:08:38 GMT
- Australian police charge a teenager in connection with what they say was an Islamic State-inspired plot to attack a World War One centenary event.
- Ukraine rebel in ceasefire warning Sat, 18 Apr 2015 14:11:25 GMT
- A senior separatist leader in eastern Ukraine says a ceasefire deal will fail unless Kiev recognises the independence of rebel-held territory.