"When you read a classic you do not see in the book more than you did before. You see more in you than there was before."
—Clifton Paul Fadiman (b. 1904) American writer, editor
- China blocks virtual network use Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:15:34 GMT
- China has blocked several popular services that let citizens skirt state censorship systems and reach banned sites.
- Malaysia Airlines website hacked Mon, 26 Jan 2015 07:51:53 GMT
- A hacker group attacks the official website of Malaysia Airlines, but the company says bookings and user data are not compromised.
- Redmayne win raises Oscars chances Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:31:15 GMT
- Eddie Redmayne wins best actor at the Screen Actor's Guild awards while Birdman and Downton Abbey win ensemble awards.
- Kylie to headline Hyde Park festival Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:33:42 GMT
- Pop star Kylie Minogue is to headline the British Summer Time festival at Hyde Park in June, with support from Grace Jones and Nile Rogers.
- Metal explosions 'driven by charge' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:11:38 GMT
- New high-speed video footage suggests that the classic chemistry explosion of an alkali metal in water is driven by positive charges repelling each other.
- Obama push to expand Alaskan refuge Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:55:19 GMT
- President Barack Obama is to propose setting aside the majority of Alaska's national wildlife refuge as a wilderness area.
- WHO vows reform after Ebola 'shocks' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:01:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization sets out plans for reform, admitting it was too slow to respond to the "horrific" Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Dementia 'link' to common drugs Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:41:27 GMT
- A study links commonly used medicines, including over-the-counter treatments for conditions such as insomnia and hay-fever, to dementia.
- Arsenal draw Middlesbrough in FA Cup Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:52:31 GMT
- Holders Arsenal are drawn against Championship side Middlesbrough in the fifth round of the FA Cup.
- Murray ready for Kyrgios and crowd Mon, 26 Jan 2015 04:01:33 GMT
- Andy Murray is ready for a partisan home crowd at his Australian Open quarter-final against Nick Kyrgios.
- Where do the wealthiest 1% live? Sun, 25 Jan 2015 00:53:08 GMT
- There was much talk in Davos this week of the wealthiest 1% in the world. Despite what you might think, they don't all live in hollowed-out volcanoes on private islands.
- The islanders who don't want a bridge to the mainland Sun, 25 Jan 2015 00:58:49 GMT
- A group of islands once visited by Charles Darwin could soon find itself at one end of Latin America's longest bridge - but not everyone there is happy about it.
- Tax break for Italy dog adoptions Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:25:51 GMT
- A Sicilian town is offering reductions in rubbish-disposal fees if people give a dog a home.
- Fake bank swindles China savers Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:38:42 GMT
- Building was made to look just like a real bank with uniformed staff serving customers.
- Africa urged to act over Boko Haram Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:55:59 GMT
- African states should act quickly and collectively to curb the growing threat posed by Nigeria's militant Islamists, the African Union chief says.