"The advice of their elders to young men is very apt to be as unreal as a list of the hundred best books."
—Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841-1935) American associate justice, US Supreme Court
- Plain packs 'no illegal smoking link' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:15:39 GMT
- A study of smokers in Australia suggests there is "no evidence" that the introduction of standardised cigarette packaging has changed the way people buy cigarettes.
- Electrical stimulation 'aids memory' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:17:49 GMT
- Electromagnetic stimulation of a specific part of the brain may improve the ability to remember certain facts, researchers say.
- Torres joins Milan on two-year loan Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:26:55 GMT
- Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is to join AC Milan on a two-year loan deal, subject to agreeing personal terms.
- Rosberg punished for Hamilton crash Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:07:21 GMT
- Mercedes discipline Nico Rosberg following his collision with team-mate Lewis Hamilton in the Belgian Grand Prix.
- The last Armenians of Myanmar Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:36:34 GMT
- The last 'full' Armenian in Myanmar died last year, so what is the future of Yangon's historic Armenian church?
- Guns a part of American childhood Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:39:28 GMT
- This week, a nine-year-old girl firing an Uzi submachine gun accidentally shot to death her weapons instructor. Not all Americans grow up shooting guns. Those who do often start young
- Senegal confirms first Ebola case Fri, 29 Aug 2014 20:28:21 GMT
- Senegal's health ministry confirms a first case of Ebola, making it the fifth West African country now affected by the outbreak.
- Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:31:24 GMT
- Malaysia Airlines is to cut 6,000 staff as part of recovery plan after being hit by two air disasters this year.
- Poland blocks Russian minister's jet Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:24:56 GMT
- Poland refuses to let a plane carrying Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu enter its airspace, forcing it to turn back to Slovakia.
- Ecuador to bring in digital currency Fri, 29 Aug 2014 23:44:45 GMT
- Ecuador says it will introduce the world's first digital currency issued by a central bank and it will go into circulation in December.
- More than 3m have fled Syria - UN Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:02:53 GMT
- The UN says Syria is now "the biggest humanitarian emergency of our era" with more than three million Syrians living outside the country as refugees.
- US steps up sanctions over Iran Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:54:03 GMT
- The US has imposed new sanctions on companies and individuals in connection with Iran's nuclear programme.
- UK's terror threat level raised Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:04:29 GMT
- The UK's terror threat level is raised from "substantial" to "severe" in response to conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the government announces.
- George Galloway attacked on street Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:29:47 GMT
- George Galloway has been taken to hospital with a suspected broken jaw after he was attacked on a London street, his spokesman says.
- Missing boy's 'life is in danger' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:06:22 GMT
- The health of a five-year-old boy taken from hospital by his parents against medical advice will deteriorate rapidly as the battery on his feeding system is likely to have run out, police say.