"If none of us ever read a book that was 'dangerous,' had a friend who was 'different' or joined an organization that advocated 'change,' we would all be just the kind of people Joe McCarthy wants. Whose fault is that? Not really [McCarthy's]. He didn't create this situation of fear. He merely exploited it, and rather successfully."
—Edward R (oscoe) Murrow (1908-65) American news anchor, broadcast journalist
- First transplant of 'dead' heart Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:00:25 GMT
- Surgeons in Australia say they have performed the first heart transplant using a "dead heart".
- Kiwis stun Australia in Four Nations Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:11:40 GMT
- New Zealand shock Australia in the Four Nations with a resounding victory that ended the hosts' 16-match winning run.
- Liverpool 0-0 Hull City Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:10:19 GMT
- Liverpool fail to break down a resolute Hull City side as Reds striker Mario Balotelli suffers another frustrating day.
- The day UFOs stopped play Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:31:00 GMT
- In 1954, a football game in Florence was interrupted by UFOs flying over the stadium. The spectacle was witnessed by more than 10,000 people – but what was it?
- How to solve brain-teasers set by a top puzzle master Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:32:50 GMT
- The Magazine recently wrote about the late puzzle master extraordinaire, Martin Gardner, and shared some of his brain-teasers - as promised, here are the answers.
- Rwanda bans BBC over genocide film Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:29:57 GMT
- Rwanda suspends BBC broadcasts in the Kinyarwanda language with immediate effect because of a controversial documentary about the 1994 genocide.
- Younus sets Pakistan century record Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:27:29 GMT
- Younus Khan becomes Pakistan's highest Test century maker as they set Australia 438 to win the first Test in Dubai.
- Russia 'helped Yanukovych to flee' Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:01:04 GMT
- Vladimir Putin says for the first time that Russia helped Ukraine's ex-President Viktor Yanukovych to flee after he was ousted in February.
- Life terms for Argentina jail crimes Sat, 25 Oct 2014 01:56:09 GMT
- An Argentine ex-police chief and ex-interior minister are among 15 people given life sentences for involvement in a torture centre in the 1970s.
- US urges probe into West Bank death Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:03:05 GMT
- The US urges an investigation after an Palestinian-American teenager is shot dead by Israeli soldiers near Ramallah in the West Bank.
- Two US Ebola nurses free of virus Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:10:30 GMT
- Two nurses infected with Ebola while treating a patient in Dallas are declared free of the deadly virus, a day after the first infection in New York.
- Scottish Labour leader stands down Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:14:24 GMT
- Scottish Labour Party leader Johann Lamont resigns with immediate effect after accusing the UK party of treating Scotland like a "branch office".
- Ex-first ministers hit out at Labour Sat, 25 Oct 2014 09:50:20 GMT
- Two former first ministers of Scotland have hit out at Labour's treatment of its Scottish leader Johann Lamont.
- Fourth Portsmouth man killed in Syria Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:52:12 GMT
- A fourth man from Portsmouth who went to fight in Syria for Islamic State is believed to have been killed.
- Man 'raped by priest 65 years ago' Sat, 25 Oct 2014 09:33:01 GMT
- A 72-year-old man says he was raped by a priest in a Bedfordshire boys' home 65 years ago.