"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
—John Burroughs (1837-1921) American naturalist, writer
- Reporter jailed for stolen data links Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:55:12 GMT
- A journalist with connections to the hacking collective Anonymous is sentenced to five years in jail after posting online links to stolen data.
- Redmayne win raises Oscars chances Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:31:15 GMT
- Eddie Redmayne wins best actor at the Screen Actor's Guild awards while Birdman and Downton Abbey win ensemble awards.
- Kylie to headline Hyde Park festival Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:33:42 GMT
- Pop star Kylie Minogue will headline the third and final night of the British Summer Time festival at Hyde Park in June.
- MPs: Ban fracking on carbon grounds Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:39:51 GMT
- A committee of MPs has called for a moratorium on shale gas fracking on the grounds that it could derail efforts to tackle climate change.
- Eyes on Pluto for historic encounter Sun, 25 Jan 2015 11:28:06 GMT
- Nasa's mission to Pluto gets under way in earnest as the New Horizons probe starts taking the pictures needed for July's close fly-by.
- WHO vows reform after Ebola 'shocks' Sun, 25 Jan 2015 15:01:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization sets out plans for reform, admitting it was too slow to respond to the "horrific" Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Cosmetic surgery 'popularity falls' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:06:08 GMT
- The popularity of cosmetic surgery in the UK has plummeted in 2014, figures from the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons show.
- Venus through to quarter-finals Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:53:51 GMT
- Venus Williams beats sixth seed Agnieszka Radwanska to reach her first Grand Slam quarter-final since 2010 in Australia.
- England set for India showdown Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:46:43 GMT
- England and India will meet for a place in the tri-series final after Australia's game against India was washed out.
- Where do the wealthiest 1% live? Sun, 25 Jan 2015 00:53:08 GMT
- There was much talk in Davos this week of the wealthiest 1% in the world. Despite what you might think, they don't all live in hollowed-out volcanoes on private islands.
- The islanders who don't want a bridge to the mainland Sun, 25 Jan 2015 00:58:49 GMT
- A group of islands once visited by Charles Darwin could soon find itself at one end of Latin America's longest bridge - but not everyone there is happy about it.
- India PM dons pinstripe 'name suit' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:06:21 GMT
- Pinstripes on Narendra Modi's traditional bandhgala suit were actually tiny letters spelling out his name
- Fake bank swindles China savers Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:38:42 GMT
- Building was made to look just like a real bank with uniformed staff serving customers.
- Mubarak's sons released from prison Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:25:41 GMT
- The two sons of Hosni Mubarak are released from jail, a day after the fourth anniversary of the uprising that ousted the former Egyptian president.
- Philippine police killed in clashes Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:28:47 GMT
- Dozens of police commandos are killed as they storm a village controlled by Islamist rebels in Maguindanao province, southern Philippines, say officials.