"Who knows why we live, and struggle, and die?... Wise men write many books, in words too hard to understand. But this, the purpose of our lives, the end of all our struggle, is beyond all human wisdom."
—Alan Stewart Paton (1903-88) South African writer, noted for novels Cry, the Beloved Country
- Microsoft takes on tech scammers Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:33:32 GMT
- The US software giant takes legal action against firms it alleges have been offering bogus tech support in its name to unwitting consumers.
- Millions deleted in Instagram purge Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:30:02 GMT
- Photo-sharing app Instagram has removed millions of accounts believed to be posting spam, angering many legitimate users.
- Sony hack is 'US security issue' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:49:09 GMT
- The cyber attack on Sony that forced a major film release to be pulled is being viewed as a national security matter, the White House says.
- Morricone regrets Eastwood rejection Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:03:20 GMT
- Renowned Italian film composer Ennio Morricone tells the BBC's Will Gompertz that he regrets turning down the chance to compose music for Clint Eastwood.
- Carbon mission returns global maps Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:36:20 GMT
- Nasa's Orbiting Carbon Observatory produces its first global maps of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere.
- 7ft marine reptile fossil beach find Fri, 19 Dec 2014 09:27:21 GMT
- An amateur fossil hunter has unearthed a 7ft skeleton of a carnivorous marine reptile on a beach in south Wales.
- EU approves first stem cell therapy Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:48:00 GMT
- A stem cell therapy has been approved for widespread medical use in the EU for the first time.
- Painkillers 'cut skin cancer risk' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:57:07 GMT
- Regularly taking painkillers such as aspirin and ibuprofen may help protect against some forms of skin cancer, research suggests.
- 'Sierra Leone has become part of me' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:25:21 GMT
- Ex-Sierra Leone manager Johnny McKinstry, appointed at 27, recounts his departure from the Ebola-hit West African country.
- Howard fears for Mignolet confidence Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:00:18 GMT
- Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard warns Simon Mignolet he faces a "hard road back" to regaining his Liverpool place.
- The Russians fighting a 'holy war' in Ukraine Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:27:16 GMT
- The Kremlin denies sending Russian troops to Ukraine, but Russian volunteers there are proud to talk about their crusade to revive an Orthodox empire.
- The buildings that would have been impossible Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:11:52 GMT
- How computers helped build some of the world's most distinct buildings.
- Kazakh villages in guard wolf craze Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:49:32 GMT
- Villagers in Kazakhstan are increasingly buying wolves to guard their land.
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Nigeria 'outraged' by mass kidnap Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:46:48 GMT
- Nigeria's government said it is "outraged and deeply saddened" after militants attacked a remote village and reportedly kidnapped about 200 people.