"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
—Moses Hadas (1900-66)
- Artificial sweetener 'is safe' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:03:14 GMT
- The artificial sweetener aspartame is safe and poses no threat to health, checks by European food regulators concludes.
- Bayern Munich 2-3 Manchester City Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:01:15 GMT
- Manchester City finish as Group D runners-up despite staging a fine comeback to win 3-2 at European champions Bayern Munich.
- Manchester United 1-0 Shakhtar Donetsk Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:56:38 GMT
- Phil Jones scores the winner to ease the pressure on manager David Moyes as Manchester United beat Shakhtar Donetsk.
- Financier taking on Russia’s oligarchy Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:50:28 GMT
- After William Browder’s lawyer died mysteriously in Moscow, he sought justice in a way only a wealthy global financier can.
- How accurate is the Pisa test? Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:22:51 GMT
- How does the Pisa international assessment test work, and how much trust should we put in the results? Experts take different views.
- Madagascar village 'hit by plague' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:24:01 GMT
- A village in Madagascar has been hit by a deadly outbreak of the bubonic plague, medical experts on the island confirm.
- Ikea wolf becomes HK protest symbol Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:42:00 GMT
- A stuffed toy wolf stocked by Swedish furniture giant Ikea sells out in in Hong Kong, after it appears to have become an unlikely symbol of protest.
- Jail sentence for PIP implant boss Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:29:26 GMT
- The founder of French company PIP, which distributed defective breast implants, is sentenced to four years in prison for fraud.
- Obama-Castro handshake 'unplanned' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 20:30:52 GMT
- The handshake between US President Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's memorial service was unplanned, the White House says.
- Spanish journalists seized in Syria Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:41:36 GMT
- Two Spanish journalists have been kidnapped in Syria by a radical Islamist group linked to al-Qaeda, the newspaper El Mundo says.
- Kerry defends Iran nuclear deal Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:56:14 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry defends the six-month nuclear deal with Iran before a sceptical panel of congressmen.
- UK aims to double dementia funding Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:53:23 GMT
- The UK will aim to double annual funding for dementia research to £132m by 2025, up from the 2015 target of £66m, the prime minister says.
- Curb classroom disruption - Ofsted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:52:29 GMT
- Minor disruption and inattention in the classroom have been tolerated in too many of England's schools for too long, Ofsted head warns.
- Midwife 'failure' at baby death unit Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:04:22 GMT
- Insufficient midwife supervision is blamed for failings which led to the deaths of three babies and a mother at a hospital.
- Free schools costs trebled to £1.5bn Wed, 11 Dec 2013 00:00:30 GMT
- The public spending watchdog says England's flagship free school programme will cost at least three times the sum it was originally allocated.