"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Lenovo victim of cyber-attack Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:17:54 GMT
- Chinese computer maker Lenovo becomes the victim of a cyber-attack following a warning by the US government about software called Superfish.
- Samsung hit by latest smart TV issue Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:32:46 GMT
- Many of the firm's smart TVs were unable to connect to servers for two days after a problem emerged as the firm carried out a security update.
- Hockney art inspired by fly-tipping Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:46:51 GMT
- David Hockney releases artwork showing the landscape that inspired him after it was blighted by fly-tipping.
- Madonna falls off stage at Brits Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:29:35 GMT
- US pop star Madonna fell off the stage during her performance at the 2015 Brit Awards on a night that saw Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran each win two prizes.
- Killer frog disease hits Madagascar Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:21:22 GMT
- A devastating disease that has wiped out amphibians around the world has been discovered in Madagascar, scientists report.
- 'Concern' over bugs in shop chicken Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:49:05 GMT
- Concerns are growing about antibiotic resistance of bacteria carried by poultry, according to a new report.
- 'Give HIV drugs to healthy gay men' Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:12:20 GMT
- Healthy gay men should be offered daily HIV drugs to prevent infections, say campaigners.
- India urges calm on deadly swine flu Wed, 25 Feb 2015 21:47:00 GMT
- The Indian health minister urges the public not to panic as the number of deaths so far this year from swine flu passes 900 from 16,000 cases.
- Besiktas 1-0 Liverpool (agg 1-1, pens 5-4) Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:09:14 GMT
- Liverpool are knocked out of the Europa League on penalties by Besiktas in Turkey after their last-32 tie ended 1-1 on aggregate.
- Crowd trouble halts Feyenoord game Thu, 26 Feb 2015 23:39:37 GMT
- Feyenoord's Europa League game against visitors Roma is suspended after crowd trouble from some home fans.
- Campaignspotting: BBC's 2016 blog Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:50:44 GMT
- It may be almost a year before voting begins, but the race for the US presidency is already heating up.
- The return of a once-glorious train station Thu, 26 Feb 2015 01:01:14 GMT
- Abandoned since 1988, Michigan Central Station is Motor City's biggest eyesore, but plans to install new windows are giving people hope that it may one day return to greatness.
- Dutch town terrorised by rogue owl Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:36:41 GMT
- Residents of the Dutch town of Purmerend are advised to take umbrellas out at night after a rogue owl leaves man requiring stitches to head wounds.
- Balloons mistaken for IS propaganda Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:31:57 GMT
- Police in Sweden ask for 21st birthday balloons to be taken down after they are mistaken for Islamic State propaganda.
- Deadly bombs at Nigeria bus stations Thu, 26 Feb 2015 19:58:32 GMT
- Suicide bomb attacks kill at least 32 people in northern Nigeria, as the wave of violence from Boko Haram continues.