"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- Buffett 'wouldn't raise US rates' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 21:59:58 GMT
- The billionaire investor, Warren Buffett, says if he ran the US Federal Reserve, he wouldn't raise interest rates significantly.
- Amazon launches home ordering kit Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:38:46 GMT
- In an attempt to attract more household shoppers, Amazon unveils a button for replenish items such as washing powder and razors.
- Evidence links China to GitHub attack Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:03:32 GMT
- Security researchers say "innocent" internet users are unwittingly carrying out the attack, most likely hijacked by the Chinese government.
- Wahlberg to make Boston bombing film Wed, 01 Apr 2015 08:55:49 GMT
- Mark Wahlberg is to co-produce and potentially star in a film about the 2013 bombing of the Boston Marathon and the city-wide manhunt that followed.
- Daily Show star defends Trevor Noah Wed, 01 Apr 2015 09:37:14 GMT
- One of the stars of The Daily Show speaks out in defence of Trevor Noah, its newly appointed host, amid controversy over old remarks he posted on Twitter.
- US makes climate pledge to UN Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:27:37 GMT
- The US has pledged to tackle climate change by cutting its carbon emissions 26-28% by 2025.
- LHC fixes glitch, prepares for beams Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:05:13 GMT
- The short circuit delaying the restart of the Large Hadron Collider has been fixed, after a blast of high current melted the metal particle responsible.
- Paracetamol ‘no good for back pain' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:06:01 GMT
- Paracetamol is ineffective at treating back pain and osteoarthritis despite being a recommended treatment, a group of Australian researchers warns.
- Guinea declares Ebola 'emergency' Sun, 29 Mar 2015 00:00:41 GMT
- Guinean President Alpha Conde has declared a 45-day "health emergency" in five regions in the west and southwest of the Ebola-hit nation.
- Murray reaches 500 career wins Tue, 31 Mar 2015 21:13:28 GMT
- Andy Murray reaches 500 career wins with a 6-4 3-6 6-3 victory over Kevin Anderson at the Miami Open.
- Townsend hopes to 'silence critics' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:45:07 GMT
- Andros Townsend hopes he has "silenced" his critics after his equaliser earned England a 1-1 friendly draw in Italy.
- America's most generous con artist Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:53:47 GMT
- Mark Landis spent 30 years donating works of art to respected museums and galleries - but the pictures were fakes that he had created himself.
- I nearly drowned in chocolate Tue, 31 Mar 2015 00:55:30 GMT
- A Syrian refugee tells how he nearly drowned in a lorry of melted chocolate as he tried to enter the UK.
- World's most northerly lichen tufts Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:12:08 GMT
- The world's most northerly tufts of a rare lichen have been recorded on a group of small Hebridean islands, says Scottish Natural Heritage.
- Ants in space grapple with zero-g Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:09:26 GMT
- A study finds that ants on board the International Space Station still use teamwork to search new areas, despite falling off the walls of their containers for up to eight seconds.