"The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- US child star 'takes own life' Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:29:11 GMT
- Sawyer Sweeten, the child star of hit US show Everybody Loves Raymond, takes his own life at his family home in Texas.
- Native Americans quit Sandler set Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:40:31 GMT
- Several Native American actors walk off the set of an Adam Sandler comedy, claiming the film is "totally disrespectful" of Apache culture.
- Hastings fishermen seek 'fair share' Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:23:02 GMT
- In the tightly contested seat of Hastings and Rye, it is the topic of fishing quotas that has become a key election issue
- 'We print people': The world of 3D portraiture Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:31:48 GMT
- An up-close encounter with the growing business of little, 3D-printed portraits. Cool or just a little bit creepy?
- Hope over child malaria vaccine tests Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:01:19 GMT
- Final clinical trials of a malaria vaccine - the first to reach this stage - suggest it could protect one third of children against malaria, according to data published in The Lancet.
- Niger schools shut over meningitis Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:24:22 GMT
- All schools in and around Niger's capital, Niamey, are to stay shut until Monday because of a meningitis outbreak that has killed 85 people this year.
- Anderson leads England to victory Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:57:47 GMT
- James Anderson inspires England to a nine-wicket win over West Indies on the last day of the second Test to go 1-0 up with one to play.
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa Sat, 25 Apr 2015 18:43:30 GMT
- Fernandinho scores a last-minute winner as Manchester City beat Aston Villa to go second in the Premier League.
- The gunmen of Aden who keep saying sorry Sat, 25 Apr 2015 22:59:55 GMT
- As fighting raged in the Yemeni port of Aden this last week, the BBC's Orla Guerin made a brief visit from nearby Djibouti - in a cargo boat.
- Hunting whales with rowing boats and spears Sun, 26 Apr 2015 00:06:12 GMT
- The Indonesian village of Lamalera is among the few remaining communities that hunt whales using traditional harpoons.
- PM's 'brain fade' over football team Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:44:38 GMT
- David Cameron comes under fire from Twitter users after saying in a speech that he supported West Ham - when he is an Aston Villa fan.
- Mango-thrower gets presidential flat Sat, 25 Apr 2015 02:23:13 GMT
- Venezuela's President Maduro allocates a woman a flat, after she hits him on the head with a mango.
- Malawians boycott South African shops Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:43:23 GMT
- South African-owned shops in Malawi stay closed after calls for a boycott from activists angered at recent xenophobic attacks.
- Pakistan PM condemns activist killing Sat, 25 Apr 2015 06:53:50 GMT
- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemns the shooting of human rights activist Sabeen Mehmud and orders an investigation.
- Bloody riots mar Belgrade derby Sat, 25 Apr 2015 20:50:11 GMT
- The start of the Belgrade derby between Red Star and Partizan was delayed for 45 minutes following serious crowd trouble.