"There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Ebola team 'found dead in Guinea' Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:26:15 GMT
- Officials in Guinea say they have found the bodies of several people thought to be part of a team of health workers and journalists who went missing earlier this week.
- Everton 4-1 VfL Wolfsburg Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:48:59 GMT
- Everton make a winning return to European football as they beat Wolfsburg 4-1 in their Europa League Group H opener.
- Vote a big moment for golf - Davies Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:01:15 GMT
- Dame Laura Davies says a historic vote on female membership could be the catalyst to inspire a new generation of golfers.
- Kenya's Westgate attack a year on: Voices from the mall Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:22:47 GMT
- Powerful memories still fresh after 12 months - the first terrifying hours of Kenya's deadly Westgate siege.
- The freedivers who swim with whales Tue, 16 Sep 2014 23:16:14 GMT
- A group of researchers who risk their lives to swim side-by-side with sperm whales and humpbacks are hoping to get a unique insight into the animals' behaviour.
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:03:38 GMT
- A three-day curfew imposed by Sierra Leone to try to stop the spread of Ebola comes into effect, but critics say it will achieve little.
- 'Bikini killer' convicted of murder Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:56:26 GMT
- A court in Nepal convicts one of the world's most notorious alleged con-men and serial killers, Charles Sobhraj, of a second murder.
- France to launch air strikes in Iraq Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:04:42 GMT
- France's President Hollande says he is ready to launch air strikes to help Iraqi forces fighting the Islamic State group.
- Vigilantes tackle post-storm looting Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:21:03 GMT
- Vigilante groups in Mexico's Baja California Sur state set up patrols to try to stop looting in the aftermath of hurricane Odile.
- Iran 'must up IAEA co-operation' Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:29:46 GMT
- Western powers tell Iran that it must step up its co-operation with the world's nuclear watchdog if it wants a deal to ease sanctions.
- Mayor Rob Ford vows to beat cancer Thu, 18 Sep 2014 21:01:51 GMT
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks his supporters and tells them he will beat the rare, aggressive cancer he was diagnosed with earlier this week.
- Health services finances 'worsening' Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:04:56 GMT
- Supposedly-elite NHS foundation trusts in England are running up an overall deficit for the first time, the regulator is expected to say later.
- MP Hancock resigns from Lib Dems Thu, 18 Sep 2014 23:31:48 GMT
- Liberal Democrat MP Mike Hancock, who had faced allegations he sexually assaulted a constituent, resigns from the party.
- Court to decide on abuse legal aid Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:39:50 GMT
- The High Court is due to decide whether to allow a challenge to rules that determine whether victims of domestic abuse get legal aid in family cases.
- Call for more local council powers Fri, 19 Sep 2014 04:34:19 GMT
- Councils in England are calling for an urgent meeting of a constitutional convention to consider the wider impact of the Scottish referendum.