"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- Sherwood fury at Spurs 'capitulation' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:38:38 GMT
- Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood accuses his side of "lacking guts and character" in their 4-0 thrashing at Chelsea.
- The restaurants that thrive on insulting their diners Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:32:44 GMT
- A Chinese eatery dubbed "London's rudest" has promised better service. Is insulting your customers ever a good idea?
- The Somali love of 'rude' nicknames Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:38:49 GMT
- Justin Marozzi on Somalia's popular but politically incorrect nicknames.
- Pistorius 'fired gun in anger' - ex Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:53:57 GMT
- An ex-girlfriend tells the Oscar Pistorius trial that he fired a gun from a car, as a security guard tells of the shock of finding him with a dying Reeva Steenkamp.
- Sri Lanka seal Asia Cup final win Sat, 08 Mar 2014 16:25:19 GMT
- Sri Lanka beat holders Pakistan by five wickets with 22 balls remaining at the Asia Cup final in Dhaka.
- Sarkozy phone 'tapped by judges' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:59:19 GMT
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has had his phone tapped on the orders of judges investigating alleged campaign donations from Libya, it is claimed.
- Cuba agrees to open talks with EU Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:31:53 GMT
- Cuba accepts an EU invitation to launch negotiations aimed at restoring full bilateral relations with the European bloc.
- Brotherhood 'terrorists', say Saudis Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:03:45 GMT
- Saudi Arabia designates the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation, along with two jihadist groups fighting with the Syrian rebels.
- US general faces assault accuser Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:49:26 GMT
- A US Army captain weeps as she tells a court that a general made her perform oral sex on him and threatened to kill her family if she told anyone.
- Judge 'backed paedophile campaign' Sun, 09 Mar 2014 06:00:39 GMT
- High Court judge Lord Justice Fulford campaigned to support a paedophile group that tried to legalise sex with children, a newspaper claims.
- Co-op Group to boost executive pay Sun, 09 Mar 2014 03:34:13 GMT
- The troubled Co-operative Group is set to award large pay rises and bonuses to its senior staff, it emerges.
- Extra £140m to repair damaged roads Sun, 09 Mar 2014 02:57:51 GMT
- An extra £140m will be made available to councils to repair roads damaged by the severe weather, Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin says.
- Apology demanded over nuclear fault Sun, 09 Mar 2014 00:37:26 GMT
- Scotland's first minister demands an apology from Number 10 for not being told about a radiation problem at a nuclear test reactor in the Highlands.
- Week in pictures: 1-7 March 2014 Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:15:24 GMT
- Some of the best news photos this week