"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."
—Ronald Wilson Reagan (b. 1911) 40th US President, Republican
- TB vaccine 'could help prevent MS' Thu, 05 Dec 2013 01:00:19 GMT
- An anti-tuberculosis vaccine could prevent multiple sclerosis, early research suggests.
- 'Let me keep my dead husband's sperm' Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:46:48 GMT
- A 28-year-old woman has begun a legal bid to prevent her dead husband's frozen sperm from being destroyed.
- Manchester United 0-1 Everton Wed, 04 Dec 2013 23:08:30 GMT
- Bryan Oviedo hits a late winner as Everton condemn David Moyes's Manchester United to a first defeat in eight games.
- Liverpool 5-1 Norwich City Wed, 04 Dec 2013 22:21:00 GMT
- Luis Suarez scores four of Liverpool's five goals as they beat Norwich 5-1 at Anfield in the Premier League.
- What would the union jack look like if the Scottish bit were removed? Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:47:56 GMT
- An association of flag experts, or vexillologists, has created a set of designs it hopes will encourage a discussion, writes Sam Judah.
- Sweden looks inward after Roma revelations Wed, 04 Dec 2013 00:41:48 GMT
- News of a secret police register in Sweden containing the names of 4,000 people, most of them Roma, has tarnished the Swedish reputation for tolerance.
- Mandela in fight from 'deathbed' Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:51:29 GMT
- South Africa's first black President, Nelson Mandela, 95, is putting up a courageous fight from his "deathbed", his daughter says.
- Biden urges Chinese to test leaders Wed, 04 Dec 2013 15:21:16 GMT
- US Vice-President Joe Biden begins a high-profile trip to China by encouraging people to "challenge the government".
- EU moves to prevent migrant deaths Wed, 04 Dec 2013 15:47:46 GMT
- The EU reveals plans to tighten patrols of its sea borders and do more to help asylum-seekers, two months after the Lampedusa boat tragedy.
- Homeless man sentenced over Rio riot Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:37:53 GMT
- A 26-year-old homeless man is sentenced to five years in jail for his role in the violence during protests in Rio de Janeiro in June.
- Deadly rocket attack in north Syria Wed, 04 Dec 2013 17:51:32 GMT
- At least 18 people have been killed in a rocket attack on government-held areas in the Syrian city of Aleppo, activists say.
- Obama: US must fix 'unequal economy' Thu, 05 Dec 2013 03:27:05 GMT
- President Barack Obama calls for government action to remedy what he describes as profound income inequality and a lack of social mobility in the US.
- Storm brings fear of wind and floods Wed, 04 Dec 2013 23:10:59 GMT
- Large swathes of the UK are braced for a storm, bringing with it gale-force winds, possible travel disruption and the risk of coastal flooding.
- Plan to increase pension age sooner Wed, 04 Dec 2013 23:59:42 GMT
- The government plans to bring forward the date when the state pension age is raised from 65 to 68, Chancellor George Osborne will announce later.
- Curb firms' nuisance calls, MPs urge Thu, 05 Dec 2013 02:34:07 GMT
- Regulators need to clamp down more on companies that make nuisance calls, an influential group of MPs says.