"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves."
—Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) British writer, A Room with a View
- Airport raids tackle cyberthieves Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:54:48 GMT
- Cyberthieves who used stolen credit cards to buy airline tickets are targeted in raids at 80 airports.
- Star Wars teaser trailer premieres Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:56:41 GMT
- The first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens is unveiled online and in US cinemas
- Kahlo's home recreated in New York Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:42:16 GMT
- Mexican artist Frida Kahlo's native garden and studio is to be recreated at the New York Botanical Garden next year.
- Graphene promise for body armour Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:44:09 GMT
- The "wonder material" graphene could be used to make bulletproof armour, new research suggests.
- Risk from extreme weather rises Thu, 27 Nov 2014 01:42:30 GMT
- Royal Society says combination of population growth and climate change will increase danger to cities.
- Hollande visits Ebola-hit Guinea Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:39:21 GMT
- French President Francois Hollande visits Guinea on the first trip by a Western leader to a country at the centre of the West African Ebola outbreak.
- 'Exciting' bladder cancer drug trial Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:25:43 GMT
- A trial to help the immune system fight bladder cancer is showing "exciting" results with tumours completely disappearing in some patients.
- Test delayed after Hughes death Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:18:52 GMT
- Australia's first Test against India will not start on Thursday following the death of batsman Phillip Hughes.
- Van Persie low after 'very bad game' Fri, 28 Nov 2014 23:19:01 GMT
- Man Utd boss Louis van Gaal says Robin van Persie had a "very bad game" against Arsenal - and his confidence is low.
- Did Korea encourage sex work at US bases? Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:18:39 GMT
- More than 100 elderly women who worked as sex workers near a US camp in South Korea are seeking compensation from the South Korean government.
- The rubbish collector left on the scrap heap as his city goes green Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:13:42 GMT
- India's clean-up threatens to clear out Delhi’s rubbish collectors, writes Andrew North.
- Canberra Christmas lights set record Fri, 28 Nov 2014 04:42:39 GMT
- A Christmas display of more than 1.2 million LED lights in the Australian capital, Canberra, has set a new world record.
- Extinct giant penguin found in shed Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:03:45 GMT
- A bird that would have towered above today's largest species is rediscovered thanks to 3D printing.
- DR Congo 'coup plotters' acquitted Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:40:56 GMT
- A group of 15 men accused of plotting to assassinate the president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Joseph Kabila, have been acquitted by a South African court.
- Safety inquiry after Hughes's death Fri, 28 Nov 2014 07:37:33 GMT
- Cricket Australia will hold an investigation into player safety following the death of Test batsman Phillip Hughes.