"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- Voyage to unlock Arctic secrets Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:21:46 GMT
- A crew of sailors is embarking on a pioneering citizen science expedition through the Northwest Passage between Canada and Greenland.
- Quarantine over China plague death Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:47:27 GMT
- Part of a city in north-west China is sealed off and dozens of people placed in quarantine after a man died of bubonic plague, state media say.
- Glaxo profits fall hits shares Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:35:03 GMT
- GlaxoSmithKline shares fall 6% as the drugs company's profits are hit by a slide in sales and a bribery investigation in China.
- Jamieson and Wiggins eye early golds Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:50:32 GMT
- Scotland's Michael Jamieson and England's Sir Bradley Wiggins chase gold medals on day one of the Commonwealth Games.
- Murray set to keep Mauresmo as coach Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:58:17 GMT
- Andy Murray is set to continue working with Amelie Mauresmo after his early Wimbledon exit as she joins his training camp in Miami.
- The deaths uniting women across the world Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:10:42 GMT
- After 13 years, Nato troops are preparing to leave Afghanistan - thousands of soldiers have died but the experiences of their widows differ dramatically.
- VIDEO: When Britain ruled India Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:28:16 GMT
- Anne Wright grew up during the dying days of British rule in India
- Two deadly blasts hit Nigerian city Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:45:03 GMT
- Two blasts targeting an opposition leader and an Islamic cleric have hit the Nigerian city of Kaduna, killing at least 40 people, police say.
- India MPs 'force-fed' Muslim worker Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:45:48 GMT
- Both houses of India's parliament are adjourned in uproar after reports that some Hindu MPs tried to forcibly feed a Muslim man fasting for Ramadan.
- Bulgarian prime minister resigns Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:58:08 GMT
- The embattled Socialist prime minister of Bulgaria resigns after only a year in office to allow for an early election on 5 October.
- Colombian army kills ELN rebels Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:11:03 GMT
- The Colombian armed forces kill eight rebels from the left-wing National Liberation Army in an operation in eastern Arauca province.
- Protests target Israel football club Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:01:56 GMT
- Pro-Palestinian protesters disrupt a football match in Austria between the Israeli club, Maccabi Haifa, and French team, Lille.
- Detroit porch shooting trial opens Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:02:58 GMT
- A Detroit man feared for his life before he shot an unarmed black woman standing on his porch, his lawyer says at the start of his murder trial.
- Warning over NHS trust finances Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:04:04 GMT
- Nineteen NHS trusts have been referred to ministers after auditors raised concerns about their financial health.
- 'Risk of debt peril' when rates rise Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:00:03 GMT
- A "relatively benign" rise in interest rates still has the potential to double the number of households facing debt problems, a think tank has said.