"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- Microsoft takes on tech scammers Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:33:32 GMT
- The US software giant takes legal action against firms it alleges have been offering bogus tech support in its name to unwitting consumers.
- Millions deleted in Instagram purge Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:30:02 GMT
- Photo-sharing app Instagram has removed millions of accounts believed to be posting spam, angering many legitimate users.
- Sony hack is 'US security issue' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:49:09 GMT
- The cyber attack on Sony that forced a major film release to be pulled is being viewed as a national security matter, the White House says.
- Morricone regrets Eastwood rejection Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:03:20 GMT
- Renowned Italian film composer Ennio Morricone tells the BBC's Will Gompertz that he regrets turning down the chance to compose music for Clint Eastwood.
- LA River's flood role is 'paramount' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:27:39 GMT
- Any moves to modify the concrete Los Angeles River, to return parts of it to a more natural setting or to capture water, must not compromise its flood-protection function, say scientists.
- Carbon mission returns global maps Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:36:20 GMT
- Nasa's Orbiting Carbon Observatory produces its first global maps of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere.
- Ebola kills top Sierra Leone doctor Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:17:24 GMT
- One of Sierra Leone's top doctors, Victor Willoughby, died from Ebola hours after the arrival of experimental drug ZMab, medical officials say.
- EU approves first stem cell therapy Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:48:00 GMT
- A stem cell therapy has been approved for widespread medical use in the EU for the first time.
- 'Sierra Leone has become part of me' Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:25:21 GMT
- Ex-Sierra Leone manager Johnny McKinstry, appointed at 27, recounts his departure from the Ebola-hit West African country.
- Howard fears for Mignolet confidence Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:00:18 GMT
- Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard warns Simon Mignolet he faces a "hard road back" to regaining his Liverpool place.
- The Russians fighting a 'holy war' in Ukraine Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:27:16 GMT
- The Kremlin denies sending Russian troops to Ukraine, but Russian volunteers there are proud to talk about their crusade to revive an Orthodox empire.
- The buildings that would have been impossible Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:11:52 GMT
- How computers helped build some of the world's most distinct buildings.
- Kazakh villages in guard wolf craze Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:49:32 GMT
- Villagers in Kazakhstan are increasingly buying wolves to guard their land.
- Helsinki 'lacks luxury hotels' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:36:34 GMT
- Finnish capital loses out on chance to host music awards show, because there aren't enough swanky hotels for stars.
- Nigeria in new bid to defend naira Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:34:31 GMT
- Nigeria's central bank brings in further measures to support its currency, the naira, which fell to record lows this week.