"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:23:37 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Three missing in Everest avalanche Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:15:42 GMT
- The search resumes for three missing local guides after an avalanche kills 13 Sherpas on the slopes of Mount Everest.
- VIDEO: S Korea families watch dive footage Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:43:45 GMT
- Divers in South Korea have reached the lower deck of the ferry which sank on Wednesday, glimpsing at what appeared to be several bodies.
- VIDEO: Nigeria 'should do more' on abductions Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:07:54 GMT
- Nigeria's military has admitted that most of the teenage girls abducted by suspected Islamist militants have not been freed as it earlier stated.
- VIDEO: High security at S Sudan UN camp Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:48:25 GMT
- South Sudan's government has sent troops to provide security at a United Nations base where at least 48 people were killed in an attack.
- Prince re-signs with 'slave' label Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:49:23 GMT
- Pop star Prince signs a major deal with Warner Bros Records, the label he famously fell out with nearly 20 years ago.
- Sand sculptors wow seaside revellers Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:21:56 GMT
- Weston-super-Mare's annual sand sculpture festival begins.
- US banking giants see mixed results Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:34:30 GMT
- US banking giant Goldman Sachs reports a drop in net earnings while Morgan Stanley sees profits jump.
- Weibo shares surge on US debut Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:10:20 GMT
- Shares in China's largest Twitter-like service, Weibo, went up by almost 20% on the first day of its listing in the US, despite a disappointing start.
- German media boss criticises Google Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:20:24 GMT
- In an open letter to Google's Eric Schmidt the boss of German publishing firm Axel Springer says it is afraid of the search giant.
- Lavabit loses contempt appeal Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:37:07 GMT
- A US appeals court upholds a contempt of court ruling against the secure email service provider Lavabit used by whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- Tributes for Gabriel Garcia Marquez Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:16:11 GMT
- Presidents and fellow writers pay tribute to Nobel prize-winning Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez ,who has died in Mexico aged 87.
- Kim Novak speaks out over jibes Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:07:13 GMT
- Vertigo actress Kim Novak says she felt bullied after people attacked her looks at this year's Oscars.
- Ancient life 'frozen' by impacts Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:54:53 GMT
- Ancient grasses from the Pampas of Argentina were preserved when asteroids struck the area, scientists report.
- SpaceX launches station cargo flight Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:06:02 GMT
- US company SpaceX launches its latest re-supply mission to the International Space Station, sending up a Dragon freighter to rendezvous with the orbiting platform on Sunday.