"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket."
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:40:41 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Prohibition plans for Kerala Sun, 21 Sep 2014 06:42:32 GMT
- The southern Indian state of Kerala has said it will ban the sale and consumption of alcohol to tackle the problem of excessive drinking.
- VIDEO: Fire engulfs Russian tower block Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:39:54 GMT
- Firefighters are trying to contain a fire that has engulfed a residential building in the Russian city of Krasnoyarsk, according to Russian media.
- VIDEO: Choirs sing for World Peace Day Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:48:28 GMT
- A global initiative is launched to get people and choirs from around the world singing together for peace.
- VIDEO: Walliams joins SwimBritain relay Sun, 21 Sep 2014 07:26:07 GMT
- A series of swimming relays is taking place across Britain this summer, in an initiative to get more people enjoying the fun and fitness benefits of the sport.
- Roast peanuts 'spark more allergies' Sun, 21 Sep 2014 23:40:38 GMT
- Roasted peanuts may be more likely to trigger allergic reactions than raw peanuts, according to an Oxford University study carried out on mice.
- NZ leader wants 2015 flag vote Mon, 22 Sep 2014 07:46:47 GMT
- Re-elected Prime Minister John Key says a referendum on whether to change the national flag of New Zealand could be held next year.
- Air France halts budget airline plan Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:32:55 GMT
- Air France has said it is suspending until December its plan to develop its budget carrier, Transavia, in an effort to end a pilots' strike over the move.
- Shoe firm boss denies taking money Mon, 22 Sep 2014 07:51:58 GMT
- The chief executive of Chinese footwear firm Ultrasonic has spoken to Chinese media and denied running off with the firm's cash.
- Minecraft role for British Museum Mon, 22 Sep 2014 01:18:03 GMT
- The building and contents of the British Museum in London are to be digitally recreated in the video game Minecraft, with volunteers sought to help.
- More celeb 'naked pictures' leaked Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:06:39 GMT
- Kim Kardashian, Mary-Kate Olsen and Vanessa Hudgens seem to be some of the latest victims.
- Maze Runner races to film zenith Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:18:21 GMT
- Young adult sci-fi adaptation The Maze Runner debuts at the top of the US box office chart.
- BBC apologises for airing Savile clip Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:51:33 GMT
- The BBC apologises for airing an excerpt from a 1971 edition of Top of the Pops in which disgraced DJ Jimmy Savile was briefly shown.
- Molten metal batteries for the grid Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:50:22 GMT
- Engineers have invented a battery made of three liquefied metals, which they say is efficient and cheap enough to store power on the electric grid.
- Global protests over climate change Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:42:33 GMT
- Street protests demanding urgent action on climate change attract hundreds of thousands of marchers across more than 2,000 locations worldwide.