"Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books."
—Sir John Lubbock (1834-1913) British banker, politician, naturalist. British Wild Flowers
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 26 Nov 2014 02:58:43 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Extreme adventurers adopt plucky dog Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:49:02 GMT
- A team of Swedish extreme adventurers on a 10-day race through the Amazon rainforest have adopted a stray dog who started following them around after they fed him.
- VIDEO: Underwear protest by Mexican farmers Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:56:55 GMT
- Mexican farmers hold a protest wearing just underpants and a photograph to protest against alleged abuse of power.
- AUDIO: Songwriters' bad science lyrics Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:54:38 GMT
- Blue Peter Scientist Steve Mould is given the task of looking at some of the worst offenders.
- Gordon Corera: Social media - terrorism's front line Wed, 26 Nov 2014 04:06:13 GMT
- Tackling the foe online is key for a modern counter-terrorist operation, says Gordon Corera, but there are concerns over free speech.
- Richard Stead: Breaking the cycle of poor literacy Wed, 26 Nov 2014 04:08:40 GMT
- Poor levels of literacy are behind many social problems, but how can the issue be tackled?
- John Simpson: Could the world return to the 1980s? Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:30:59 GMT
- Is the world set to return to the 1980s?
- Picture power: Pausing the moment Wed, 26 Nov 2014 04:12:21 GMT
- Looking at the story behind an image by Carl Court of a student protest in London.
- How terror bill will expand powers Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:25:07 GMT
- This week's counter-terrorism bill will expand minister's powers - and face accusations of injustice, says Dominic Casciani.
- Ferguson: The controversy explained Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:10:38 GMT
- The shooting of Michael Brown led to widespread unrest and an upsurge of anger against the police.
- Museum fossils are new dino species Wed, 26 Nov 2014 02:47:16 GMT
- A new species of horned dinosaur is identified from fossils held in a Canadian museum for 75 years.
- Watchmakers take aim at smart copies Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:14:28 GMT
- Leading watchmakers are fed up with websites offering their designs for smartwatch download and have begun a campaign to stop it, according to reports.
- US economy grows faster than forecast Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:11:11 GMT
- The US economy grew much faster in the third quarter than first reported, official figures have shown.
- A 'generation to change bank culture' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:08:36 GMT
- A "toxic" and "aggressive" culture inside banks will take a generation to change, according to a report from Cass Business School and New City Agenda.
- Facebook hosted Rigby murder chat Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:43:57 GMT
- Facebook hosted a conversation by one of Fusilier Lee Rigby's killers in which he said he wanted to kill a soldier, five months before the attack, the BBC learns.