"You know when you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend."
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 24 Jul 2014 03:51:23 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Last journey of Costa Concordia Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:16:41 GMT
- The BBC's Alan Johnston reports on the journey so far of the wrecked cruise ship Costa Concordia as it is towed to Genoa for scrapping.
- VIDEO: Hundreds die in Syria 'deadliest week' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:31:01 GMT
- More than 1,700 people have reportedly been killed in seven days as fighting in Syria intensifies.
- VIDEO: Dozens killed in Taiwan plane crash Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:57:42 GMT
- More than 40 people were killed when a TransAsia Airways passenger plane crashed after making a failed emergency landing in Taiwan, local officials say.
- VIDEO: Seals 'stressed' by warming seas Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:12:08 GMT
- Warming seas are reducing the food supply for Antarctic seals, say researchers.
- Indian boy has 232 teeth removed Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:23:06 GMT
- Doctors in India extract 232 teeth from the mouth of a 17-year-old boy in a seven-hour operation.
- Sri Lanka cyclists spotted on motorway Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:47:50 GMT
- Four members of Sri Lanka's Commonwealth Games team are stopped by police for cycling down a Glasgow motorway.
- US lifts ban on flights to Tel Aviv Thu, 24 Jul 2014 05:22:44 GMT
- The US aviation regulator lifts its ban on US carriers flying to Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion airport, but warns the situation remains "very fluid".
- China manufacturing growth speeds up Thu, 24 Jul 2014 02:34:56 GMT
- China's manufacturing activity grows at its fastest pace in 18 months in July, an initial survey by HSBC shows, the latest sign that its economy may be stabilising.
- Arrests made after eBay Stubhub thefts Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:56:18 GMT
- Arrests are made in the UK, US, Canada and Spain after a scam involving e-tickets for Elton John concerts and other shows sold via Stubhub.
- Tor creator works to debug dark web Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:47:40 GMT
- One of the co-creators of Tor says he is working with others to tackle a "bug" that undermines the anonymity offered by the dark web system.
- Commonwealth Games begin in Glasgow Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:55:47 GMT
- The Queen declares the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow open after a live show featuring a cast of 2,000 and appearances from several famous Scots.
- Geldof died of heroin overdose Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:17:52 GMT
- TV presenter Peaches Geldof died of a heroin overdose after relapsing from a period of abstinence, a coroner rules.
- Dogs 'hardwired' to be jealous wags Thu, 24 Jul 2014 03:09:59 GMT
- Jealousy is not just part of the human condition, a study suggests, it appears to be hard wired into the brains of dogs too.
- Fur seals feel climate impacts Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:52:50 GMT
- Changes in the Antarctic climate are showing up in the fur seal population, say scientists who have studied the animals for 30 years on the British Overseas Territory of South Georgia.