"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
—Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC) Roman statesman, orator, philosopher
- VIDEO: Hiding currency in the Dark Wallet Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:47:11 GMT
- The developer behind the new Bitcoin tech on the fears it will hide criminal activity.
- VIDEO: Walliams joins SwimBritain relay Sun, 21 Sep 2014 07:26:07 GMT
- A series of swimming relays is taking place across Britain this summer, in an initiative to get more people enjoying the fun and fitness benefits of the sport.
- VIDEO: Obama: We must stop sexual assault Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:36:05 GMT
- US President Barack Obama launches the new 'It's on Us' campaign, which aims to prevent sexual assault at American universities.
- VIDEO: Apple fans queue for new iPhone 6 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:30:53 GMT
- Apple's new gadget the iPhone 6 has gone on sale around the world - but many customers have been queuing for days to get their hands on the new device
- VIDEO: Cheetah cubs unveiled in San Diego Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:00:27 GMT
- A pair of three-week-old cheetah cubs are unveiled at San Diego Zoo's Safari Park.
- VIDEO: First buyer drops brand-new iPhone 6 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:15:41 GMT
- The first person to buy the iPhone 6 in Perth, Australia, dropped his new gadget during an interview with a TV reporter.
- Alibaba shares surge on NY debut Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:31:24 GMT
- Alibaba's shares closed significantly above their initial price on the New York Stock Exchange on Friday, a sign of the excitement surrounding the Chinese internet giant.
- Shares rise in London on 'No' vote Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:05:06 GMT
- Shares rise in London after Scotland rejects independence, as a rally in the pound fades.
- eBay flaw has existed for months Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:38:46 GMT
- A dangerous flaw that has exposed eBay customers to malicious websites has been affecting the site since at least February, the BBC has found.
- Google and Apple encrypt by default Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:55:04 GMT
- Google and Apple commit to encrypting users' data by default, to protect against hackers and the requests of law enforcement agencies.
- Cape Fear actress Bergen dies aged 84 Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:47:53 GMT
- Polly Bergen, the actress whose fictional family was terrorised by Robert Mitchum in the 1962 film Cape Fear, dies aged 84.
- Jolie to direct ivory poaching film Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:35:06 GMT
- Angelina Jolie signs up to direct Africa, a film about a conservationist's battles with ivory poachers.
- 'Artificial eye' to detect particles Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:12:25 GMT
- The human eye has inspired physicists to create a processor that can analyse particle collisions 400 times faster than currently possible.
- Slippery banana study wins Ig Nobel Fri, 19 Sep 2014 01:48:00 GMT
- Research that investigated why bananas are slippery when you step on them wins one of this year's Ig Nobel prizes.
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:58:32 GMT
- A three-day curfew is under way in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.