"Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors."
—John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-63) 35th US President, Democrat, politician
- VIDEO: Nelson Mandela the philanthropist Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:11:03 GMT
- Nelson Mandela will perhaps be remembered as much for his fight for the underprivileged as his fight against white minority rule.
- US fast-food workers in strike Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:19:52 GMT
- Fast-food workers in several cities across the US stage a 24-hour strike in protest against low wages.
- JP Morgan in cyber hack warning Thu, 05 Dec 2013 21:02:08 GMT
- JP Morgan Chase is warning 465,000 holders of pre-paid cash cards issued by the US bank that their personal data may have been hacked.
- UK paves way for driverless cars Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:07:03 GMT
- The UK government wants to make Britain a world leader in developing autonomous vehicles.
- VIDEO: NSA 'tracking' millions of mobiles Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:51:50 GMT
- Almost five billion mobile phone location records are logged by the NSA every day, reports the Washington Post.
- British film culture test to change Thu, 05 Dec 2013 17:16:48 GMT
- The cultural test which determines whether a film can qualify as a British production is set to be changed to encourage more investment in the UK film industry.
- Sundance sees comedy stars go serious Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:11:04 GMT
- Former Saturday Night Live regular Kristen Wiig and Girls creator Lena Dunham are among the US comedy stars who will be seen in a more serious guise at next year's Sundance Film Festival.
- Funds for research with other nations Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:15:32 GMT
- The Chancellor George Osborne announces annual funding of £90m over five years for the UK to collaborate with emerging nations.
- Leg bone gives up oldest human DNA Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:32:47 GMT
- The retrieval of high quality DNA from a 400,000-year-old human has opened up a new frontier in the study of our ancient ancestors.
- World dementia cases 'set to treble' Thu, 05 Dec 2013 00:05:19 GMT
- The number of people living with dementia worldwide is set to treble by 2050, according to a new analysis.
- TB vaccine 'could help prevent MS' Thu, 05 Dec 2013 01:00:19 GMT
- An anti-tuberculosis vaccine could prevent multiple sclerosis, early research suggests.
- England do not fear anyone - Hodgson Thu, 05 Dec 2013 17:29:25 GMT
- Roy Hodgson insists England do not fear any other side in football ahead of Friday's World Cup finals draw in Brazil.
- Platini calls for sin-bin over cards Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:11:26 GMT
- Michel Platini, head of European governing body Uefa, calls for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin in football.
- What would the union jack look like if the Scottish bit were removed? Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:47:56 GMT
- An association of flag experts, or vexillologists, has created a set of designs it hopes will encourage a discussion, writes Sam Judah.
- What is 'highway hypnosis'? Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:47:54 GMT
- A train driver says he was experiencing "highway hypnosis" just prior to the derailment in which four people were killed last week in New York. So what is it?