"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
—Erich Fromm (1900-80) German-born American psychoanalyst, emphasized role of social conditioning
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 20 Sep 2014 01:47:02 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Obama: We must stop sexual assault Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:36:05 GMT
- US President Barack Obama launches the new 'It's on Us' campaign, which aims to prevent sexual assault at American universities.
- VIDEO: Hiding currency in the Dark Wallet Fri, 19 Sep 2014 13:47:11 GMT
- The developer behind the new Bitcoin tech on the fears it will hide criminal activity.
- VIDEO: California 'King fire' doubles in size Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:31:41 GMT
- Thousands of people have been forced to leave their homes in northern California after a wildfire burning out of control doubled in size in just 12 hours.
- VIDEO: French launch first strikes on IS Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:49:18 GMT
- French fighter jets have launched their first air strikes against Islamic State in northern Iraq as Kurds in northern Syria flee attacks by IS militants.
- VIDEO: First buyer drops brand-new iPhone 6 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:15:41 GMT
- The first person to buy the iPhone 6 in Perth, Australia, dropped his new gadget during an interview with a TV reporter.
- Baby giraffe: 'It's a girl' Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:30:41 GMT
- Belfast Zoo has revealed a baby giraffe born in front of surprised visitors at the animal enclosure is a girl.
- Alibaba shares surge on NY debut Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:31:24 GMT
- Alibaba's shares closed significantly above their initial price on the New York Stock Exchange on Friday, a sign of the excitement surrounding the Chinese internet giant.
- GSK fined $490m by China for bribery Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:28:01 GMT
- China fines UK pharmaceuticals firm GlaxoSmithKline $490m (£297m) for bribery and its former head of Chinese operations is given a suspended jail sentence.
- eBay flaw has existed for months Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:38:46 GMT
- A dangerous flaw that has exposed eBay customers to malicious websites has been affecting the site since at least February, the BBC has found.
- Google, Apple to encrypt by default Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:55:04 GMT
- Google and Apple commit to encrypting users' data by default, to protect against hackers and the requests of law enforcement agencies.
- Spacey stalker given four years Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:49:24 GMT
- A woman who engaged in a "persistent and malevolent" cyberstalking campaign against actor Kevin Spacey has been sentenced to more than four years in prison.
- Artist wins top painting prize at 80 Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:18:16 GMT
- Artist Rose Wylie wins the John Moores Painting Prize, one of the UK's most prestigious art awards, at the age of 80.
- 'Artificial eye' to detect particles Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:12:25 GMT
- The human eye has inspired physicists to create a processor that can analyse particle collisions 400 times faster than currently possible.
- Forest land rights need global focus Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:21:47 GMT
- Recognising the land rights of local people could provide cost-effective protection for many of the world's tropical forests, a report says.