"A book is a friend; a good book is a good friend. It will talk to you when you want it to talk, and it will keep still when you want it to keep still; and there are not many friends who know enough to do that."
—B. A. Billingsly
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:38:41 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Exhibition on a changing Afghanistan Thu, 23 Oct 2014 23:45:29 GMT
- The Imperial War Museum's latest exhibition focuses on Afghanistan as British troops prepare to leave.
- VIDEO: WW1: The Famine of Mount Lebanon Fri, 24 Oct 2014 07:05:53 GMT
- As a proportion of the total population, more people died in Greater Syria than anywhere else in the world during the First World War. In Mount Lebanon a third of the population died of famine and disease.
- VIDEO: The smartphone that answers back Fri, 24 Oct 2014 00:23:50 GMT
- How one manufacturer is making its smartphone really stand out from the crowd.
- VIDEO: Could amputees re-grow lost limbs? Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:49:14 GMT
- Amputees could one day re-grow their missing limbs, according to researchers at Imperial College London.
- The Queen sends her first tweet Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:51:47 GMT
- The Queen sends her first tweet to launch the London Science Museum's ambitious new Information Age gallery.
- Gold prizes for Dubai commuters Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:36:31 GMT
- The emirate wants people to get out of their cars to ease traffic congestion.
- UK anger at £1.7bn EU cash demand Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:06:37 GMT
- UK politicians react angrily to demands for an extra £1.7bn (2.1bn euros) contribution towards the European Union's budget due to the country's better economic performance.
- Banana splits as Chiquita chops deal Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:09:29 GMT
- Shareholders in US banana distributor Chiquita vote against a merger deal with Irish rival Fyffes in favour of a higher offer.
- Hailo says Uber blocked investors Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:41:35 GMT
- After pulling out of the US, taxi app Hailo complains that rival Uber is blocking potential investors from offering funding.
- Dark Souls II named game of the year Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:40:38 GMT
- DayZ, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft and Assassins Creed are also among the winners.
- Cliff Richard police raid 'inept' Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:10:39 GMT
- The handling of a police raid at the home of veteran pop star Sir Cliff Richard is described as inept by the Commons Home Affairs Committee.
- Alvin Stardust album gets early release Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:13:07 GMT
- The release of Alvin Stardust's final album, his first in 30 years, is brought forward following his death.
- Science chief warns on acid oceans Fri, 24 Oct 2014 05:18:50 GMT
- The UK's chief scientist says the oceans face a serious and growing risk from man-made carbon emissions.
- EU leaders agree CO2 emissions cut Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:59:54 GMT
- The EU agrees what it calls "the world's most ambitious" deal to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 40% by 2030, overcoming deep divisions.