"The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- VIDEO: Harding's 'lusty' letters published Wed, 30 Jul 2014 02:26:36 GMT
- Almost 1,000 letters of Warren Harding, the 29th US president, have been published.
- VIDEO: Confetti harvest time in Shropshire Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:51:51 GMT
- A natural confetti farm is harvesting and drying its crop, in a harvest that lasts only ten days.
- VIDEO: New tech opens doors for jobseekers Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:51:36 GMT
- New technology is opening up whole new careers to young jobseekers who may be having difficulty getting into more established professions.
- VIDEO: Star Trek star Takei's life on film Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:53:52 GMT
- Star Trek star George Takei talks about being his childhood experience of living in an internment camp during World War Two.
- VIDEO: British dancer returns from Russia Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:02:28 GMT
- A dancer from Hull who became the first British dancer to be employed by the Mariinsky Ballet in Russia returns to the UK to perform with the company at Covent Garden.
- UK to allow driverless cars on roads Wed, 30 Jul 2014 05:35:09 GMT
- The government is to outline measures that will allow driverless cars on public roads in the UK by 2015.
- VIDEO: Zoo animals stay cool with ice lolly Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:13:56 GMT
- During the hot summer weather zookeepers are having to come up with ways to keep animals comfortable in the heat.
- Twitter shares surge on user growth Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:48:39 GMT
- Social networking service Twitter reports a second-quarter loss of $145m but better than expected user growth, sending shares surging over 35%.
- Japan output falls most since 2011 Wed, 30 Jul 2014 03:10:34 GMT
- Japan's factory output falls 3.3% from May to June, the latest sign to highlight that the recent sales tax rise is affecting consumer demand.
- Sleep sensor smashes Kickstarter goal Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:01:09 GMT
- A 22-year-old British entrepreneur's new sleep-tracking device cracks $1m (£590,000) on the Kickstarter crowdfunding platform in five days.
- OKCupid experiments with 'bad' matches Tue, 29 Jul 2014 14:47:43 GMT
- Dating website OKCupid reveals that it experimented on its users, including putting the "wrong" people together to see if they would connect.
- Apology over Turtles '9/11 poster' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:03:51 GMT
- Paramount Pictures apologises over a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles poster, featuring the characters jumping from an exploding skyscraper alongside the release date of 11 September.
- Secret Cinema to begin one week late Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:18:52 GMT
- Secret Cinema's screenings of Back to the Future are to begin in London on Thursday after the opening week was cancelled.
- How faces drive first impressions Mon, 28 Jul 2014 19:23:36 GMT
- UK scientists model the physical attributes that underpin our social judgements about strangers.
- Astronomers weigh up Milky Way Wed, 30 Jul 2014 00:11:55 GMT
- The Milky Way is lighter than previously thought and is only about half the mass of a neighbouring galaxy, researchers conclude.