"The American mind, unlike the English, is not formed by books, but, as Carl Sandburg once said to me, by newspapers and the Bible."
—Van Wyck Brooks (1886-1963) American critic, historian
- Deadly attacks hit Egypt's Sinai Thu, 29 Jan 2015 23:07:58 GMT
- At least 26 people, including soldiers, are killed in a series of attacks by Islamist militants in Egypt's Sinai peninsula.
- EU extends sanctions against Russia Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:27:06 GMT
- Foreign ministers from the EU agree in Brussels to extend existing sanctions against Russia until September but not to impose any new sanctions.
- Balloonists surpass distance record Fri, 30 Jan 2015 04:46:07 GMT
- Two pilots have surpassed the world distance record for a flight in a helium balloon after crossing the Pacific Ocean.
- Philippine mourning for slain police Fri, 30 Jan 2015 02:42:06 GMT
- The Philippines holds a day of mourning for 44 police commandos killed in a clash with Muslim rebels, as police sought terror suspects.
- Man with fake gun disrupts Dutch TV Fri, 30 Jan 2015 01:56:12 GMT
- A man wielding a fake gun is arrested in a studio of Dutch news broadcaster NOS, causing the main evening bulletins to be cancelled.
- Saudi king reshuffles cabinet Fri, 30 Jan 2015 04:55:09 GMT
- King Salman of Saudi Arabia announces a major cabinet reshuffle, a week after he acceded to the throne.
- Greece to seek 'common ground' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:22:35 GMT
- European Parliament President Martin Schulz says Greece will seek "common ground" with its European partners after meeting Alexis Tsipras.
- US Congress passes Keystone approval Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:46:48 GMT
- The US Senate passes a bill to approve the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, sending it to President Barack Obama's desk for a likely veto.
- Russian planes 'disrupted UK aviation' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:18:48 GMT
- Russian military planes flew near UK airspace, causing "disruption to civil aviation" and prompting RAF jets to "escort" them, the Foreign Office says.
- German ranchers killed in Paraguay Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:37:55 GMT
- A German couple who had been ranching in Paraguay for 30 years are shot dead, allegedly by left-wing guerrillas.
- Jordan seeks proof pilot is alive Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:37:15 GMT
- Jordan seeks proof a pilot held hostage by the Islamic State group is still alive, as efforts to negotiate a prisoner swap continue.
- Portugal gives Jews 'return rights' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:41:17 GMT
- The Portuguese government grants citizenship rights to descendants of Sephardic Jews expelled from the country five centuries ago.
- VIDEO: Art among the rubble in Shanghai Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:51:34 GMT
- Demolition in China is often a sensitive, political subject, touching on the relative powerlessness of local residents in the face of omnipotent local officials.
- VIDEO: Museum's famous dinosaur on the move Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:14:42 GMT
- The Natural History Museum's long-time entrance hall exhibit of a Diplodocus dinosaur will be replaced by a giant blue whale skeleton.
- VIDEO: NFL star refuses to play ball with media Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:59:44 GMT
- A day after repeating one line 29 times in a news conference, Seattle Seahawks player Marshawn Lynch has been at it again, giving a variation of the same answer 14 times.