"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the sense shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourse of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness."
—Helen Adams Keller (1880-1968) American memoirist, lecturer
- Canada parliament sits after attacks Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:28:15 GMT
- The parliament in Ottawa returns to work and gives a hero's welcome to the sergeant-at-arms who shot a gunman dead the day before.
- Nato jets 'intercept Russian plane' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:08:21 GMT
- Nato warplanes have intercepted a Russian spy plane over the Baltic Sea, the alliance says, amid heightened tensions between the West and Russia.
- Boko Haram 'abducts more women' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:54:17 GMT
- Dozens of women and girls have been abducted from two villages in north-eastern Nigeria by suspected militants despite a reported truce, residents say.
- Injured Schumacher makes 'progress' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:26:15 GMT
- A doctor who treated Michael Schumacher for nearly six months after his brain injury in a skiing accident says the F1 champion has made "some progress".
- EU eyes new green energy targets Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:48:32 GMT
- An EU summit gets under way shortly, seeking agreement on carbon emission cuts that could make Europe a global leader again in climate policy.
- US-led Syria strikes 'kill hundreds' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:12:04 GMT
- US-led air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria have killed 553 people since September, including 464 IS fighters, activists say.
- Deadly attacks hit Quetta city Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:08:41 GMT
- The leader of one of Pakistan's biggest religious parties escapes as at least 10 people are killed in two attacks in the Pakistani city of Quetta.
- Mystery of giant arm dinosaur solved Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:31:16 GMT
- Two dinosaur skeletons have been unearthed in Mongolia, solving a mystery that has baffled palaeontologists for 50 years.
- Japan minister in sex bar funds row Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:51:04 GMT
- Japan's new trade minister Yoichi Miyazawa is forced to defend himself after it emerged support staff spent office money at a sex club.
- Netanyahu blames Abbas over attack Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:10:59 GMT
- Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu accuses the Palestinian president of incitement, after an attack which killed a baby in Jerusalem.
- White House fence jumper arrested Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:08:04 GMT
- A man who jumped the White House fence was attacked by dogs before being arrested, in the latest security incident at the US president's official home.
- Air chiefs quit over Total boss death Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:32:18 GMT
- The chief executive of Russia's Vnukovo airport and his deputy resign after a plane crash this week that killed the head of France's Total, Christophe de Margerie.
- VIDEO: Egypt's battle to end FGM Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:37:02 GMT
- A court date is set for a verdict in Egypt's landmark trial in a case of female genital mutilation (FGM).
- VIDEO: Future-gazing at TechCrunch London Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:41:54 GMT
- As the annual TechCrunch event for tech start ups comes to London for the first time, David Grossman goes to investigate.
- VIDEO: Louisiana's vanishing voodoo culture Thu, 23 Oct 2014 01:55:59 GMT
- The BBC Pop Up bureau explores the rich heritage of voodoo culture among the Cajun and Creole communities of Louisiana.