"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Pope Francis criticism stuns Vatican Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:00:39 GMT
- The Pope tells cardinals there is a need to purge "spiritual Alzheimer's" and "the terrorism of gossip" from the Vatican.
- Pakistan ready to ramp up executions Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:51:37 GMT
- More than 50 people convicted of terrorism in Pakistan face imminent execution after the president rejected mercy petitions, officials say.
- Singer Joe Cocker dies aged 70 Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:57:08 GMT
- Singer Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, dies aged 70.
- Van driven into shoppers in France Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:56:04 GMT
- Ten people are injured as a van is driven into shoppers at a Christmas market in Nantes, officials say, with reports the driver then stabbed himself.
- UN discusses N Korea human rights Mon, 22 Dec 2014 21:19:19 GMT
- The UN Security Council begins a rare discussion of North Korea's human rights situation, despite objections from Russia and China.
- Six people killed in bin lorry crash Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:20:07 GMT
- Six people have been killed and eight others injured after an out-of-control bin lorry crashed into pedestrians in central Glasgow.
- Essebsi wins Tunisia president vote Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:09:59 GMT
- Beji Caid Essebsi is confirmed as winner of Tunisia's first free presidential poll, but critics say this marks the return of the old regime.
- China investigates ex-leader's aide Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:59:49 GMT
- China launches an investigation into former President Hu Jintao's top aide, state media report, after he is accused of "disciplinary violations".
- New York mayor urges city to heal Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:46:05 GMT
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has urged his city to heal and support the families of two police officers that were shot dead on Saturday.
- Rouble rallies despite crisis warning Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:50:34 GMT
- Russia's former finance minister warns the country is entering a "full blown economic crisis" and will enter recession next year.
- Fifa holds secret talks with Blatter Mon, 22 Dec 2014 06:55:08 GMT
- Fifa president Sepp Blatter holds talks with executives as concerns grow over future direction of football's governing body.
- Alstom to pay US $772m bribery fine Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:48:14 GMT
- Alstom agree to pay $772m in criminal penalties to settle charges with the US Department of Justice.
- NHS to 'unlock secrets' using DNA Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:22:04 GMT
- A new genetics project could help "unlock a series of secrets about devastating diseases" including cancer and rare genetic disorders, the NHS says.
- Deadly twin bombings hit Nigeria Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:15:55 GMT
- At least 26 people have been killed in bombings in two major cities in northern Nigeria, with commuters and shoppers targeted, witnesses say.
- Spanish princess to face fraud trial Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:40:55 GMT
- The Spanish king's sister, Princess Cristina, is to face a tax fraud trial over alleged links to her husband's dealings.