"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Missing plane 'not tracked to west' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 03:20:49 GMT
- Malaysia's air force chief denies reports that a missing Malaysia Airlines plane was tracked to the Strait of Malacca, amid an ongoing search.
- Russia 'refuses to talk to Ukraine' Wed, 12 Mar 2014 03:43:59 GMT
- Russia's leaders are refusing all negotiations with their Ukrainian counterparts, Ukraine's acting President Oleksandr Turchynov says.
- Turkey braces for coma boy's funeral Wed, 12 Mar 2014 02:41:51 GMT
- The funeral is to take place in Turkey of a teenage boy who died died nine months after being injured during anti-government protests.
- Major blackout hits Australia city Wed, 12 Mar 2014 03:19:06 GMT
- Schools and offices close, and traffic lights are knocked out, as a major power cut hits the Australian city of Darwin.
- No speeches at World Cup ceremony Wed, 12 Mar 2014 01:26:44 GMT
- Fifa head Sepp Blatter rules out speeches at the opening of the World Cup after President Rousseff' was booed at last year's Confederations Cup.
- CIA 'searched US Senate computers' Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:16:58 GMT
- The head of the US Senate intelligence committee accuses the CIA of improperly accessing computers used by congressional staff amid an investigation.
- Bachelet sworn in as Chile president Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:42:57 GMT
- Michelle Bachelet - Chile's first woman president in 2006 - is sworn in for a second time after her election victory in December.
- Libya PM dismissed over tanker row Tue, 11 Mar 2014 18:44:29 GMT
- Libya's parliament dismisses Prime Minister Ali Zeidan after a tanker laden with oil from a rebel-held port reportedly breaks through a naval blockade.
- Pistorius had 'big love' for guns Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:03:07 GMT
- Oscar Pistorius had a 'big love for guns', a friend tells his murder trial as he describes two firearms incidents involving the Paralympic athlete.
- Student dies in Khartoum violence Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:45:30 GMT
- A student is killed in clashes with police at Sudan's Khartoum University during a protest against violence in the Darfur region.
- Norway hears online child death case Tue, 11 Mar 2014 23:58:51 GMT
- A Norwegian woman and her British lover go on trial in Oslo, accused of killing her 22-month-old child under instructions from the UK via Skype.
- World's oldest masks go on display Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:43:05 GMT
- A collection of the world's oldest masks, dating back to the dawn of civilisation, go on display in Jerusalem.
- VIDEO: Istanbul clashes after boy's death Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:55:29 GMT
- The streets of Istanbul have seen clashes between police and people enraged by the death of a boy who was struck on the head by a tear-gas canister fired by police in June 2013.
- VIDEO: Plight of Syria's refugee children Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:06:21 GMT
- The number of Syrian children in need has more than doubled in the past year to 5.5 million, according to the UN's children's charity, Unicef.
- VIDEO: High above Myanmar's temples Wed, 12 Mar 2014 01:51:53 GMT
- As part of a series looking at cool jobs across Asia, the BBC's Jonah Fisher meets a hot air balloon pilot who flies over Myanmar's ancient temple city, Bagan.