"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- Netanyahu warns US over Iran deal Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:14:22 GMT
- Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says an Iran nuclear deal could "pave Iran's path to the bomb", in a contentious speech to the US Congress.
- Emwazi father 'in state of shock' Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:45:10 GMT
- The father of Islamic State fighter Mohammed Emwazi is in "shock" as he helps officials build a profile of his son, the BBC is told after the first meeting with him.
- Ex-CIA chief in federal charge plea Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:20:18 GMT
- David Petraeus, a former four-star general, reaches a plea deal with the US Justice Department in which he will admit to mishandling classified materials.
- 'Racial bias' at Ferguson police Tue, 03 Mar 2015 20:15:29 GMT
- The US Justice Department has found evidence of racial bias at the Ferguson police department, US media reports.
- Delhi police block gang rapist film Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:14:02 GMT
- Police in India secure a court injunction blocking the broadcast of an interview with one of the Delhi gang rapists on death row.
- Russians bid farewell to Nemtsov Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:54:44 GMT
- Thousands of Russians bid farewell to murdered Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov during his funeral in the capital Moscow.
- Paris journalist fined over drone Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:55:11 GMT
- An Al Jazeera journalist is fined €1,000 (£725;$1,120) for flying a drone in Paris in the midst of a security alert sparked by unexplained drone sightings.
- Fierce clashes around Iraq's Tikrit Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:25:03 GMT
- Fierce clashes are taking place in and around the Iraqi city of Tikrit, as soldiers and militiamen attack Islamic State positions, officials say.
- Clinton under scrutiny over emails Tue, 03 Mar 2015 13:59:47 GMT
- Hillary Clinton's exclusive use of a personal email account when she was US secretary of state is probed as a possible violation of federal rules.
- Stalin wiped from Soviet Gulag museum Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:58:41 GMT
- A Soviet prison camp from the Stalin era - the only one fully preserved - no longer exists as a museum dedicated to political prisoners, its director says.
- India's Maharashtra state bans beef Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:17:22 GMT
- The Indian president approves a bill which bans the slaughter of cows and the sale and consumption of beef in the western state of Maharashtra.
- Ebola nations 'need huge aid plan' Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:49:29 GMT
- Liberia's president calls for an aid package for the Ebola-affected countries of West Africa along the lines of the post-WWII Marshall Plan.
- VIDEO: 'Green supercar' unveiled in Geneva Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:51:55 GMT
- An "environmentally friendly" supercar with has been unveiled at Geneva's International Motor Show.
- VIDEO: Tourists flock to Japan's Cat Island Tue, 03 Mar 2015 13:36:12 GMT
- Tourists from around Japan have been flocking to a tiny fishing community, to see what has been nicknamed Cat Island.
- VIDEO: 3800 couples in mass wedding Tue, 03 Mar 2015 11:35:08 GMT
- Around 3,800 couples from the Unification Church have taken part in a mass wedding in Gapyeong, South Korea.