"If you will protest courageously, and yet with dignity and Christian love, when the history books are written in future generations, the historians will have to pause and say, There lived a great people-a black people-who injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization."
—Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68) African-American reverend, civil rights leader
- Nato accuses Russia over Ukraine Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:41:09 GMT
- Nato accuses Russia of a "blatant violation" of Ukraine's sovereignty, saying it is engaged in direct military operations to support rebels.
- More than 3m have fled Syria - UN Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:02:53 GMT
- The UN says Syria is now "the biggest humanitarian emergency of our era" with more than three million Syrians living outside the country as refugees.
- Iceland lowers volcano ash alert Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:03:41 GMT
- The Icelandic Met Office lowers its aviation warning from red to orange near the Bardarbunga volcano, which saw an eruption begin overnight.
- Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:31:24 GMT
- Malaysia Airlines is to cut 6,000 staff as part of recovery plan after being hit by two air disasters this year.
- Euro inflation nears five-year low Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:53:36 GMT
- The eurozone inflation rate falls to 0.3% in August, near a five-year low, adding to fears of a deflationary spiral in the region.
- Pakistan army to mediate in protest Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:21:25 GMT
- Pakistan's powerful army chief to mediate in deadlock between PM and two opposition figures leading huge anti-government rallies in Islamabad.
- No charges in US accidental shooting Fri, 29 Aug 2014 05:10:00 GMT
- Officials say there will be no charges following an incident in which a nine-year-old girl fatally shot a gun range instructor.
- Tory MPs rule out further defections Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:00:24 GMT
- A string of Eurosceptic Tory MPs rule out following Douglas Carswell to UKIP as it emerges eight of them discussed the possibility with a top party official.
- Libya's prime minister resigns Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:18:06 GMT
- Abdullah al-Thinni steps down as Libya's prime minister in a bid to end the power struggle dividing the country.
- 'Dead' Indian activist found alive Fri, 29 Aug 2014 04:20:34 GMT
- An Indian activist thought to have died in a car fire is found alive in Bangalore and accused by police of faking his death over a woman.
- Volcano erupts in Papua New Guinea Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:14:36 GMT
- Papua New Guinea's eastern Mount Tavurvur erupts, disrupting flights and spewing rocks and ash into the air.
- Belafonte to receive honorary Oscar Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:26:52 GMT
- US actor and singer Harry Belafonte is to be honoured by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.
- VIDEO: Police seize gamer during live broadcast Thu, 28 Aug 2014 15:22:53 GMT
- A video gamer in Denver was dramatically involved in a raid by armed police acting on an assumed hoax call - and the incident was broadcast live online.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: 100-year-old tortoise is on the move Fri, 29 Aug 2014 05:06:41 GMT
- An extremely rare Galapagos tortoise thought to be 100 years old has been given a new home at a zoo in Ohio.