"To my daughter Leonora without whose never failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been completed in half the time."
—P. G. Wodehouse
- Turks to let Kurds join Kobane fight Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:08:18 GMT
- Turkey is to allow Iraqi Kurdish fighters to cross the Syrian border to Kobane to fight Islamic State militants, its foreign minister says.
- Exiled Nazis collected US benefits Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:47:32 GMT
- The US has paid dozens of exiled Nazi war criminals millions of dollars in social benefits after forcing them to leave the country, a new report finds.
- Sweden steps up 'mystery sub' hunt Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:27:47 GMT
- Sweden steps up its search in waters off Stockholm and tells some civilian vessels to leave the area amid suspicions of a Russian submarine.
- Google changes 'to fight piracy' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:16:27 GMT
- Google announces changes to its search engine in an attempt to curb online piracy.
- Nigeria declared free of Ebola Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:48:44 GMT
- The World Health Organization declares Nigeria officially free of Ebola - hailing it a "spectacular success story" - after six weeks with no new cases.
- Four held 'over Iran acid attacks' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:41:49 GMT
- Iranian police arrest four men following a string of acid attacks against women allegedly for not following the country's strict dress code.
- Thai accused of dead king insult Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:41:33 GMT
- Two retired army officers complain about comments made by academic Sulak Sivaraksa about King Naresuan, who died more than 400 years ago
- UKIP's alliance in Europe rescued Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:34:43 GMT
- A Polish MEP joins the UK Independence Party's Eurosceptic grouping, restoring its status in the European Parliament.
- Amnesty deplores abuses in Ukraine Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:12:34 GMT
- Amnesty International finds evidence of atrocities committed by both warring sides in eastern Ukraine, but not on the scale reported by Russia.
- Kate's second baby due in April Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:03:04 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their second child in April next year, Kensington Palace says.
- Actress Lynda Bellingham dies at 66 Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:35:39 GMT
- Tributes are paid to British actress and TV presenter Lynda Bellingham, who has died at the age of 66 after suffering colon cancer.
- Player dies after goal celebration Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:36:38 GMT
- Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies from the injuries he suffered after landing awkwardly when he celebrated a goal.
- VIDEO: Investigation into US 'pumpkin riot' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:26:17 GMT
- An annual pumpkin festival in Keene, New Hampshire, turned violent as the event descended into a night of rioting.
- VIDEO: Ebola survivors’ blood 'saving lives' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:21:11 GMT
- Blood from survivors of the Ebola virus is being used to treat patients suffering from the disease.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:09:33 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.