"In politics I am growing indifferent -- I would like it, if I could now return to my planting and books at home."
- Militants 'seize Israeli soldier' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:41:33 GMT
- Israeli forces are searching for a missing soldier believed captured, as a Gaza truce collapses and at least 27 Palestinians are killed in Israeli shelling.
- MH17 crash investigators get to work Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:23:56 GMT
- A team of 70 Dutch and Australian forensic experts finally get to work at the site of the flight MH17 crash in east Ukraine as fighting continues.
- Sassoon war diaries published online Fri, 01 Aug 2014 01:02:21 GMT
- Twenty-three journals belonging to the war poet Siegfried Sassoon, many written in the trenches, are being published online for the first time.
- Uganda court annuls anti-gay law Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:30:03 GMT
- Uganda's Constitutional Court annuls a tough anti-gay law that had drawn widespread criticism by Western governments and human rights activists.
- Multiple Taiwan gas blasts kill 25 Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:29:05 GMT
- A series of gas explosions in the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung kills at least 25 people and injures about 267 others.
- Summit to launch urgent Ebola plan Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:13:50 GMT
- The World Health Organization and presidents of West African nations affected by the Ebola outbreak meet in Guinea to announce a new $100m response plan.
- WTO fails to seal global trade deal Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:19:08 GMT
- The World Trade Organization says its 160 members have failed to agree a global customs pact drawn up in meetings in Bali last December.
- China manufacturing growth speeds up Fri, 01 Aug 2014 01:40:14 GMT
- China's factory activity grows at its fastest pace in more than two year in July, the latest in a series of signs that the country's economy may be stabilising.
- Hopes 'bleak' for landslide missing Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:45:08 GMT
- Officials say hopes of finding any more survivors from a landslide that buried a village are fading, as the number of bodies found reaches 60.
- Xinjiang imam murder 'suspects shot' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 04:47:52 GMT
- Police have shot dead two suspects in the killing of the imam of China's largest mosque and captured another, state media say.
- DNA project 'to make UK world leader' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 06:04:00 GMT
- A project aiming to revolutionise medicine by unlocking the secrets of DNA is under way in centres across England.
- India hires mimics to scare monkeys Fri, 01 Aug 2014 08:36:36 GMT
- India hires 40 men to dress up as monkeys to scare away thousands of real simians causing havoc around parliament in Delhi.
- VIDEO: Last of the scissor makers Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:33:30 GMT
- Eric Stones has been making scissors by hand for 58 years.
- VIDEO: New York's 21st Century artisans Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:20:43 GMT
- Members of the "millennial generation" are finding ways build businesses selling items that are handmade.
- VIDEO: Immersive cinema: Is this the future? Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:17:46 GMT
- Newsnight reports on the growing popularity of immersive entertainment.