"It does not matter how many books you have, but how good the books are which you have."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- US Taliban move prompts Afghan ire Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:56:56 GMT
- Afghanistan suspends talks on a bilateral security agreement with the US, after Washington's announcement of peace talks with the Taliban.
- Obama 'to call for nuclear cuts' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:55:36 GMT
- US President Barack Obama is to speak at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, where he is expected to call for cuts in US and Russian nuclear arsenals.
- Brazil sends force to quell protest Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:29:01 GMT
- Brazil is to send a national security force to five major cities to help restore order after massive protests, the justice ministry says.
- Gun-battle inside Somalia UN office Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:38:47 GMT
- A gun-battle has lasted for more than an hour inside a UN office in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, following a suicide bombing, witnesses say.
- N Korea condemns Hitler report Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:04:42 GMT
- North Korea denounces a report that leader Kim Jong-un gave out copies of Adolf Hitler's memoir Mein Kampf to officials on his birthday.
- Toxic substance in Fukushima water Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:32:04 GMT
- High levels of a toxic radioactive isotope, strontium-90, have been found in groundwater at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant, its operator says.
- Nigeria motorbike raiders 'kill 48' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:49:45 GMT
- Gunmen on motorbikes kill 48 people in an attack on a remote village in northern Nigeria's Zamfara state, an official says.
- Cyprus leader attacks bailout terms Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:01:50 GMT
- Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades urges eurozone leaders to help his country's biggest bank and sharply criticises the bailout agreed in March.
- Army leads north India flood rescue Wed, 19 Jun 2013 07:13:36 GMT
- Military helicopters lead rescue operations in India's flood-hit northern states, where 130 people are now known to have died.
- Doctors plea for Guantanamo care Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:40:30 GMT
- An open letter published in the Lancet medical journal calls for hunger-striking Guantanamo Bay detainees to receive independent medical care.
- Top US journalist dies in car crash Wed, 19 Jun 2013 07:25:14 GMT
- Journalist Michael Hastings, whose reporting ended the career of US General Stanley McChrystal, has died in a crash in Los Angeles aged 33.
- China's Wanda to buy UK yacht maker Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:04:16 GMT
- Dalian Wanda Group, a Chinese property developer, says it will spend £1bn ($1.6bn) to buy a British yacht maker and property in London.
- PlayStation update freezing consoles Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:03:18 GMT
- A system software update has rendered some PlayStation 3 consoles unusable, manufacturer Sony confirms.
- Applause is a 'social contagion' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 00:04:34 GMT
- The quality of a performance does not drive the amount of applause an audience gives, a study suggests.
- VIDEO: 'You don't know how much I miss my son' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:34:57 GMT
- In Mexico around 25,000 people have disappeared since the drug war began six years ago.