"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it."
—Moses Hadas (1900-66)
- Crowds defy rain to honour Mandela Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:12:22 GMT
- Tens of thousands of people join world leaders at a rainswept memorial service for South African ex-President Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg.
- Two French soldiers killed in CAR Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:46:45 GMT
- Two French soldiers are killed in overnight fighting in the Central African Republic amid an operation to restore order to the troubled country.
- Jail sentence for PIP implant boss Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:56:49 GMT
- The founder of French company PIP, which distributed defective breast implants, is sentenced to four years in prison for fraud.
- S Korea says North in 'terror reign' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:07:25 GMT
- South Korea's president warns ties with North Korea could become more unstable after the purge of key powerbroker Chang Song-thaek.
- Thai PM rejects resignation call Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:22:11 GMT
- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra rejects protesters' demands that she resign before February's snap elections.
- Abu Qatada denies terror charges Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:05:48 GMT
- Radical cleric Abu Qatada denies terror charges at a Jordanian court, and complains the presence of a military judge means he is being denied a fair trial.
- Diplomats bid to end Ukraine crisis Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:58:21 GMT
- Top Western diplomats are due in the Ukrainian capital Kiev as police move to break the blockade of government buildings by pro-EU protesters.
- Deadly Argentina looting spreads Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:08:03 GMT
- Five people are killed in widespread looting in Argentina after police in 17 provinces go on strike to demand higher salaries to match rising inflation.
- McKellen 'urged not to go to Russia' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:11:47 GMT
- Sir Ian McKellen tells the Radio Times he has been advised not to go to Russia by the Foreign Office because of the country's homosexuality laws.
- Google lets users create Street View Tue, 10 Dec 2013 02:29:35 GMT
- Google unveils a new tool that allows users to create a Street View - a 360 degree virtual tour - of any place and share it using Google Maps.
- Sound of Music actress dies at 91 Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:05:13 GMT
- Oscar-nominated actress Eleanor Parker, who was best-known for playing the baroness in The Sound of Music, dies aged 91.
- Garth Brooks to go on world tour Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:39:20 GMT
- US country singer Garth Brooks is to embark on a world tour, more than 10 years after he last hit the road.
- Coldest spot on Earth identified Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:07:50 GMT
- The coldest place on Earth is measured by satellite to be a bitter minus 93.2 Celsius (-135.8F) in the heart of Antarctica.
- VIDEO: Syria fighter: 'We are all al-Qaeda' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:28:35 GMT
- A 25-year-old man from France talks about being part of the biggest brigade of foreign jihadists fighting in Syria, and why he left them.
- VIDEO: Ukraine police try to regain control Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:03:26 GMT
- Ukrainian police have begun moving against protesters in central Kiev, with some protest camps in front of government buildings dismantled. The BBC's Steve Rosenberg reports from the protest camps.