"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
—Julius Henry Marx (1890-1977) [Groucho] American comedian, actor, Horse Feathers, Duck Soup
- US mulls putting NK on terror list Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:27:26 GMT
- The US is considering putting North Korea back on its terrorism sponsors list, President Barack Obama says, after a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures.
- Kurds 'take' part of Sinjar from IS Sun, 21 Dec 2014 16:56:02 GMT
- Kurdish authorities say their forces have taken control of a "large area" of the town of Sinjar, which was captured by Islamic State in August.
- Tunisia rivals in poll dispute Sun, 21 Dec 2014 19:29:07 GMT
- Former Prime Minister Beji Caid Essebsi's camp claims victory in Tunisia's presidential election, but his rival says its too early to call.
- Obama condemns killings of NY police Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:39:01 GMT
- President Obama says "there is no justification" for the shooting dead of two policemen in New York, amid tension over police tactics in the city.
- Pakistan carries out more executions Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:50:45 GMT
- Pakistan hangs four convicts in the second set of executions since the death penalty was reinstated after the deadly Peshawar school massacre.
- Mother charged with Cairns murders Sun, 21 Dec 2014 06:04:03 GMT
- Australian authorities charge a woman in the northern city of Cairns with the murder of seven of her children and her niece.
- Jordan ends death penalty moratorium Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:13:36 GMT
- Jordan executes 11 men convicted of murder, ending a eight-year moratorium on the death penalty.
- Muhammad Ali ill with pneumonia Sun, 21 Dec 2014 05:19:30 GMT
- Former three-time heavyweight champion boxer Muhammad Ali has been taken to hospital with a mild case of pneumonia, his spokesman says.
- FBI talks over Lockerbie bombing Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:11:21 GMT
- Scotland's top law officer has met the director of the FBI to discuss progress in the investigation into the Lockerbie bombing.
- Photographer Jane Bown dies aged 89 Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:40:27 GMT
- Photographer Jane Bown, known for her portraits of the Queen, the Beatles and Samuel Beckett among many others, dies aged 89.
- Elton John and David Furnish marry Sun, 21 Dec 2014 19:34:33 GMT
- Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish convert their civil partnership to a marriage - with the musician documenting the day on the Instagram website.
- VIDEO: What is the winter solstice? Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:26:22 GMT
- In the United Kingdom the solstice is a little after 11pm on 21 December this year.
- VIDEO: Anglican Archbishop of Jerusalem Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:44:46 GMT
- The Anglican Archbishop of Jerusalem, Suheil Dawani, is head of a diocese that covers much of the Middle East and talked to BBC News about the last year.
- VIDEO: The secretive state of Turkmenistan Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:22:02 GMT
- Turkmenistan in Central Asia is one of the most isolated and secretive states in the world, dissent is not tolerated and suspicion reigns.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:37:24 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.