"The only words that ever satisfied me as describing Nature are the terms used in fairy books, charm, spell, enchantment. They express the arbitrariness of the fact and its mystery."
—Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) British writer, critic
- Nigeria leader condemns mosque raid Sat, 29 Nov 2014 02:40:18 GMT
- Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan vows "to leave no stone unturned" in tracking down the perpetrators of a mosque attack that left dozens dead.
- Mubarak murder retrial verdict due Sat, 29 Nov 2014 02:28:48 GMT
- A court in Egypt is due to deliver a verdict in the retrial of ousted President Hosni Mubarak on charges of conspiring to kill protesters in 2011.
- Pope in symbolic Istanbul visit Sat, 29 Nov 2014 05:28:31 GMT
- Pope Francis is due to meet Muslim and Christian leaders in Istanbul on the second day of his three-day highly symbolic visit to Turkey.
- IS 'not weakened by air strikes' Sat, 29 Nov 2014 05:50:35 GMT
- Two months of US-led air strikes have failed to weaken Islamic State militants, Syria's foreign minister says, urging Turkey to tighten border controls.
- Taiwan holds biggest local elections Sat, 29 Nov 2014 04:25:51 GMT
- Taiwan is holding its biggest local elections, widely seen as a referendum on the China policy of the governing party.
- 'Up to 13,000 slaves' working in UK Sat, 29 Nov 2014 02:12:55 GMT
- There could be about 10-13,000 victims of slavery in the UK, far more than previous estimates, analysis for the Home Office suggests.
- Venezuela jail overdose kills 35 Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:53:26 GMT
- Thirty-five Venezuelan inmates are reported to have died after overdosing on the contents of a prison infirmary they stormed.
- Mexican comic actor Chespirito dies Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:43:09 GMT
- One of Latin America's most beloved comic actors, the Mexican Roberto Gomez Bolanos, or "Chespirito", dies at the age of 85.
- 'Anti-government' gun attack in Texas Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:01:36 GMT
- A gunman who attacked downtown buildings and the Mexican Consulate in Austin, Texas, before being shot may have had political reasons, say police.
- Sarkozy favourite in party poll Fri, 28 Nov 2014 23:41:08 GMT
- French conservatives are set to elect their next leader in a poll which could mark Nicolas Sarkozy's return to frontline politics.
- Rice wins appeal against suspension Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:05:16 GMT
- Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice can play again after winning his appeal against an indefinite ban issued for hitting his wife.
- VIDEO: Concorde made out of matchsticks Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:31:34 GMT
- A plane enthusiast has spent more than two years creating matchstick models of a Concorde and a Boeing 747.
- VIDEO: Chavez's life performed as a ballet Sat, 29 Nov 2014 05:40:20 GMT
- The life of Venezuela's late President Hugo Chavez is to be performed as a ballet.
- VIDEO: Navy doctor trains in inner-city Chicago Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:09:38 GMT
- To prepare for combat injuries, some military doctors look to treating victims of violence in inner-city Chicago
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 29 Nov 2014 03:08:43 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.