"Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them in: but as a rule the purchase of books is mistaken for the appropriation of their contents."
—Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) German philosopher, believed will to live is fundamental reality
- Referendum campaigns make final push Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:20:55 GMT
- Both sides in the Scottish referendum campaign make their final pitches to voters as the latest polls suggest the result remains too close to call.
- Ebola global security threat - Obama Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:14:10 GMT
- US President Barack Obama calls the Ebola outbreak in West Africa a threat to security worldwide while announcing a larger US role, including 3,000 troops, to help fight the virus.
- Nasa picks astronaut ship designs Tue, 16 Sep 2014 20:42:09 GMT
- The US space agency picks the companies it hopes can take the country's astronauts back into space - a capability lost when the shuttles retired in 2011.
- Ukraine rebels defiant over new law Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:05:53 GMT
- A key Ukrainian rebel leader tells the BBC a new law granting self-rule to parts of the east will not sway the demand for independence.
- Richard III death injuries revealed Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:05:12 GMT
- King Richard III was likely to have been killed by two blows to the head and one to his pelvis, according to new research.
- China leader Xi heads for India Wed, 17 Sep 2014 02:57:41 GMT
- China's President Xi Jinping makes his first official visit to India, with a focus on improving trade ties and resolving the decades-old border dispute.
- UN brokers Gaza reconstruction deal Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:09:35 GMT
- The UN brokers a deal on rebuilding in the Gaza Strip, giving roles to the Palestinian Authority and private sector, its top Mid-East envoy says.
- US man tried to 'swim to N Korea' Wed, 17 Sep 2014 03:29:33 GMT
- South Korean authorities say they have detained an American man they believe was trying to swim to North Korea.
- US 'would consider Iraq ground troops' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:44:06 GMT
- US ground forces could be deployed against Islamic State militants if the current strategy fails, a top US general says.
- Bangladesh death sentence commuted Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:25:19 GMT
- Bangladesh's Supreme Court commutes Islamist leader Delwar Sayeedi's death sentence for crimes in the 1971 independence war to life imprisonment.
- China trial for Uighur academic Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:35:05 GMT
- Prominent Uighur academic Ilham Tohti goes on trial for separatism in China's far western region of Xinjiang.
- Fiji coup leader faces electorate Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:59:33 GMT
- Voting ends in the first election in Fiji since former military ruler Frank Bainimarama took power in a coup in 2006.
- VIDEO: NASA names US spacecraft companies Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:35:17 GMT
- NASA has chosen two private companies to build a new generation of spacecraft that will take their astronauts to the International Space Station.
- VIDEO: Clashes in Brazil following eviction Wed, 17 Sep 2014 02:00:49 GMT
- There have been clashes in Brazil's largest city Sao Paulo following the eviction of 200 families occupying an old hotel in the city.
- VIDEO: Examining a rare colossal squid Wed, 17 Sep 2014 00:18:03 GMT
- Scientists have had the extremely rare chance to examine an intact colossal squid after it was accidentally caught in the Antarctic, as Mauricio Olmedo-Perez reports