"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the sense shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourse of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness."
—Helen Adams Keller (1880-1968) American memoirist, lecturer
- 'Millions of Ebola vaccines' in 2015 Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:57:25 GMT
- Millions of doses of experimental Ebola vaccines will be produced by the end of 2015, the World Health Organization has announced.
- PM: I won't meet £1.7bn EU demand Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:41:10 GMT
- David Cameron insists the UK will not pay £1.7bn demanded by the EU by 1 December - but Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso says it should not have come as a surprise.
- Egypt: Sinai 'bomb' kills 25 troops Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:44:24 GMT
- A suspected jihadist car bomb attack kills at least 25 Egyptian soldiers in Sinai, Egyptian officials say, in one of deadliest incidents there.
- Russia 'helped Yanukovych to flee' Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:02:21 GMT
- Vladimir Putin says for the first time that Russia helped Ukraine's ex-President Viktor Yanukovych to flee after he was ousted in February.
- Detained Myanmar reporter shot dead Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:12:51 GMT
- A Burmese journalist taken into detention while covering clashes near the Thai border is shot dead while trying to escape, the army says.
- Tunis 'militant hideout' stormed Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:29:34 GMT
- Tunisian security forces storm a house in a Tunis suburb to end a stand-off with armed militants, killing six people, officials say.
- Canada attack 'not linked to IS' Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:27:37 GMT
- Canada's foreign minister tells the BBC there is no evidence so far that the man behind gun attacks in Ottawa was linked to Middle Eastern jihadists.
- Rwanda bans BBC over genocide film Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:29:57 GMT
- Rwanda suspends BBC broadcasts in the Kinyarwanda language with immediate effect because of a controversial documentary about the 1994 genocide.
- NY axe attack: Islamist link probed Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:09:33 GMT
- Police in New York investigate whether a man who attacked two officers with an axe before being shot dead was linked to Islamist extremism.
- Puffer fish poisons 11 in Brazil Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:32:26 GMT
- Eleven people fell seriously ill in Brazil after eating a deadly puffer fish for lunch, it was reported.
- The Queen sends her first tweet Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:51:47 GMT
- The Queen sends her first tweet to launch the London Science Museum's ambitious new Information Age gallery.
- First transplant of 'dead' heart Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:00:25 GMT
- Surgeons in Australia say they have performed the first heart transplant using a "dead heart".
- VIDEO: Art on motorbikes in Kampala Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:19:26 GMT
- Artists in Uganda are using motorbikes to carry and display street art installations as part of the Kampala Contemporary Art Festival.
- VIDEO: Exhibition on a changing Afghanistan Thu, 23 Oct 2014 23:45:29 GMT
- The Imperial War Museum's latest exhibition focuses on Afghanistan as British troops prepare to leave.
- VIDEO: The Queen sends her first tweet Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:05:08 GMT
- The Queen's has sent her first tweet - sent through the @BritishMonarchy account - heralding the launch of a major new exhibition at London's Science Museum.