"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Turks to let Kurds join Kobane fight Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:29:57 GMT
- Turkey is to allow Iraqi Kurdish fighters to cross the Syrian border to Kobane to fight Islamic State militants, its foreign minister says.
- Two Japan ministers quit amid rows Mon, 20 Oct 2014 06:45:42 GMT
- Two of five women in Japan's cabinet resign over funding scandals, in a blow to PM Shinzo Abe's plans to bring more women into top-level politics.
- Nigeria declared free of Ebola Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:50:29 GMT
- The World Health Organization declares Nigeria officially free of Ebola - hailing it a "spectacular success story" - after six weeks with no new cases.
- Amnesty deplores abuses in Ukraine Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:31:44 GMT
- Amnesty International finds evidence of atrocities committed by both warring sides in eastern Ukraine, but not on the scale reported by Russia.
- Kate's second baby due in April Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:03:04 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their second child in April next year, Kensington Palace says.
- Sweden widens navy hunt near capital Mon, 20 Oct 2014 11:53:34 GMT
- Sweden widens its search in the waters off Stockholm amid suspicions that a Russian submarine might be lurking there.
- Australia lifts parliament veil ban Mon, 20 Oct 2014 03:57:00 GMT
- Australia reverses a rule which would have restricted access to the parliament building in Canberra for women wearing full-face Islamic veils.
- PM's EU migrant plan 'by Christmas' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:45:42 GMT
- David Cameron is to set out plans before the end of the year to further curb the rights of EU migrants amid warnings about the risks involved.
- China's communist leaders gather Mon, 20 Oct 2014 09:23:21 GMT
- A key meeting of Chinese Communist Party leaders focusing on the rule of law and fighting corruption has begun in Beijing.
- Pakistan charity boss 'heartbroken' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:34:11 GMT
- One of Pakistan's top charity leaders tells the BBC he is heartbroken after being robbed at gunpoint.
- Sex emerged in ancient Scottish lake Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:17:58 GMT
- The first animals to copulate were small fish that lived 385 million years ago in what is now Scotland, a study suggests.
- Actress Lynda Bellingham dies at 66 Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:24:55 GMT
- British actress and presenter Lynda Bellingham, who had colon cancer, has died aged 66, her agent confirms.
- VIDEO: Investigation into US 'pumpkin riot' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:26:17 GMT
- An annual pumpkin festival in Keene, New Hampshire, turned violent as the event descended into a night of rioting.
- VIDEO: Ebola survivors’ blood 'saving lives' Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:21:11 GMT
- Blood from survivors of the Ebola virus is being used to treat patients suffering from the disease.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:09:33 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.