"History is a living horse laughing at a wooden horse. History is a wind blowing where it listeth. History is no sure thing to bet on. History is a box of tricks with a lost key. History is a labyrinth of doors with sliding panels, a book of ciphers with the code in a cave of the Saragossa sea. History says, if it pleases, Excuse me, I beg your pardon, it will never happen again if I can help it."
—Carl Sandburg (1878-1967) American writer known for free verse, Smoke and Steel
- Nepal quake aid effort stepped up Mon, 27 Apr 2015 12:13:18 GMT
- International efforts to bring aid to Nepal are stepped up as the death toll from Saturday's devastating earthquake reaches 3,726.
- Indonesia condemned over executions Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:08:55 GMT
- France and Australia have condemned the death penalty "in all circumstances", as executions for three of their nationals loom in Indonesia.
- Germany 'failed to warn' before MH17 Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:23:43 GMT
- Germany was told of the risk of flying over eastern Ukraine before flight MH17 was shot down, but failed to pass on the alert, reports say.
- Chile town covered by volcanic ash Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:18:10 GMT
- Residents of the Chilean town of Ensenada are trying to save their livestock and their homes after tonnes of ash from the Calbuco volcano rained down.
- EU-Ukraine summit as shelling worsens Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:55:59 GMT
- The EU holds talks in Kiev amid concern about the ailing Ukrainian economy, as observers report intense shelling in the country's east.
- Pepsi to ditch artificial sweetener Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:59:55 GMT
- A controversial artificial sweetener is being removed from Diet Pepsi in the US following consumer concerns about its safety.
- Israel 'kills militants' in Golan Mon, 27 Apr 2015 09:48:50 GMT
- An Israeli air strike has killed four militants armed with a bomb along the Israeli-Syrian frontier in the Golan Heights, the Israeli military says.
- Silk Road 'link' to six drug deaths Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:17:34 GMT
- Six people who died from overdoses bought their drugs via the Silk Road marketplace, claims the US government.
- Burundi police tear-gas protesters Mon, 27 Apr 2015 13:21:35 GMT
- Police in Burundi fire tear gas at activists protesting against President Pierre Nkurunziza's decision to run for a third term in office.
- No life-saving surgery 'for billions' Mon, 27 Apr 2015 02:33:40 GMT
- Two-thirds of the world's population have no access to safe and affordable surgery, according to a new study in The Lancet.
- SBS presenter fired for Anzac tweets Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:39:58 GMT
- SBS sports presenter Scott McIntyre is sacked for "disrespectful" tweets about Anzac Day, the Australian broadcaster says.
- Back pain link to chimpanzee spine Mon, 27 Apr 2015 02:29:07 GMT
- People with lower back problems are more likely to have a spine similar in shape to the chimpanzee, our closest ape ancestor.
- VIDEO: Video shows moment of Everest avalanche Sun, 26 Apr 2015 22:54:03 GMT
- Footage has emerged from climbers on Mount Everest, showing the moment an avalanche hurtled towards them when Saturday's earthquake struck in Nepal.
- VIDEO: Moment aftershock hits - caught on camera Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:41:04 GMT
- The BBC's Justin Rowlatt is in the middle of filming in Kathmandu when an aftershock hits.
- VIDEO: CCTV captures violent Nepal earthquake Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:59:15 GMT
- New footage has emerged of the moment the devastating earthquake struck Nepal, after several Chinese photographers arrived home on Sunday.