"Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists.... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence."
—Erich Fromm (1900-80) German-born American psychoanalyst, emphasized role of social conditioning
- Israel-Hamas ceasefire collapses Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:01:12 GMT
- The Israeli military tells people in Gaza it is resuming operations, as a ceasefire with Hamas crumbles amid reports of at least 30 Palestinian dead.
- Rebels ambush convoy in east Ukraine Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:54:02 GMT
- Pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine kill at least 10 soldiers in an ambush near where flight MH17 crashed, as forensic experts get to work.
- Sassoon war diaries published online Fri, 01 Aug 2014 01:02:21 GMT
- Twenty-three journals belonging to the war poet Siegfried Sassoon, many written in the trenches, are being published online for the first time.
- Summit to launch urgent Ebola plan Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:13:50 GMT
- The World Health Organization and presidents of West African nations affected by the Ebola outbreak meet in Guinea to announce a new $100m response plan.
- Multiple Taiwan gas blasts kill 25 Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:29:05 GMT
- A series of gas explosions in the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung kills at least 25 people and injures about 267 others.
- WTO fails to seal global trade deal Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:30:32 GMT
- The World Trade Organization says its 160 members have failed to agree a global customs pact drawn up in meetings in Bali last December.
- Hopes 'bleak' for landslide missing Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:45:08 GMT
- Officials say hopes of finding any more survivors from a landslide that buried a village are fading, as the number of bodies found reaches 60.
- China manufacturing growth speeds up Fri, 01 Aug 2014 01:40:14 GMT
- China's factory activity grows at its fastest pace in more than two year in July, the latest in a series of signs that the country's economy may be stabilising.
- DNA project 'to make UK world leader' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 06:04:00 GMT
- A project aiming to revolutionise medicine by unlocking the secrets of DNA is under way in centres across England.
- Xinjiang imam murder 'suspects shot' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 04:47:52 GMT
- Police have shot dead two suspects in the killing of the imam of China's largest mosque and captured another, state media say.
- Sudan 'apostasy' woman arrives in US Fri, 01 Aug 2014 01:51:57 GMT
- A woman who fled Sudan after being spared a death sentence for renouncing Islam has arrived in the US state of New Hampshire to start a new life.
- India hires mimics to scare monkeys Fri, 01 Aug 2014 08:36:36 GMT
- India hires 40 men to dress up as monkeys to scare away thousands of real simians causing havoc around parliament in Delhi.
- VIDEO: Taiwan blasts 'tore up entire street' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 07:24:58 GMT
- A series of gas explosions in the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung has killed 24 people and injured almost 300, officials say.
- VIDEO: Civilians in Ukraine flee fighting Fri, 01 Aug 2014 08:59:29 GMT
- Civilians from towns around the area of Eastern Ukraine where flight MH17 was shot down are continuing to flee heavy fighting.
- VIDEO: Immersive cinema: Is this the future? Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:17:46 GMT
- Newsnight reports on the growing popularity of immersive entertainment.