"A best seller was a book which somehow sold well simply because it was selling well."
—Daniel J (oseph) Boorstin (b. 1914) American Gov't Official, Librarian of Congress
- Ferry transcript reveals crew panic Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:19:46 GMT
- The last communications between the South Korean ferry that sank on Wednesday and traffic services reveal panic and indecision by the crew.
- Ukraine probes deaths in tense east Mon, 21 Apr 2014 02:16:30 GMT
- Ukraine says it will launch an investigation into a fatal shooting in the east of the country which has raised tension with Russia further.
- Fresh violence erupts in Venezuela Mon, 21 Apr 2014 01:46:49 GMT
- Fresh violence erupts in the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, between police and opponents of President Nicolas Maduro.
- PM's Christianity remarks 'divisive' Mon, 21 Apr 2014 02:46:29 GMT
- Leading public figures claim PM David Cameron risks causing division in society with his recent comments that the UK is a Christian country.
- Gibraltar fire hits online gambling Mon, 21 Apr 2014 00:02:36 GMT
- An explosion and fire on Gibraltar cuts power to much of the British territory and disrupts a number of online betting operations around the world.
- Egypt's Sisi to face sole poll rival Sun, 20 Apr 2014 22:18:41 GMT
- Left-winger Hamdeen Sabahi will be the only challenger to ex-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in Egypt's presidential election, as registration ends.
- Hostage reporters 'chained' in Syria Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:11:44 GMT
- Four French journalists who spent 10 months in captivity in Syria were chained to each other and kept in basements without light, one recounts.
- Iran's Rouhani urges women's rights Sun, 20 Apr 2014 21:33:10 GMT
- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani urges equal opportunities and rights for women and condemns discrimination in a speech marking Women's Day.
- Finland air crash kills skydivers Sun, 20 Apr 2014 21:04:23 GMT
- Eight skydivers on an Easter Sunday jump are killed as their plane crashes near the town of Jamijarvi in Finland.
- Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:51:06 GMT
- Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, the US boxer whose wrongful conviction for murder caused an international outcry, dies aged 76.
- Pope celebrates Easter Sunday Mass Sun, 20 Apr 2014 11:46:21 GMT
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter in front of thousands in St Peter's Square, praying for peace in Syria and Ukraine and "an end to all war".
- Kuwait newspapers ordered to close Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:43:25 GMT
- A Kuwaiti judge orders the temporary closure of two independent newspapers for breaking a news blackout about an alleged plot to topple the emir.
- VIDEO: Russian outrage at Ukraine killing Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:36:19 GMT
- Russia has expressed outrage after at least three people were killed at a pro-Russian checkpoint in eastern Ukraine.
- VIDEO: Pope prays for Syria and Ukraine Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:50:56 GMT
- The pope has prayed for an end to conflicts around the world including in Syria and Ukraine, in his Easter address.
- VIDEO: Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies Mon, 21 Apr 2014 02:19:40 GMT
- US former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, whose wrongful conviction for murder caused an international outcry, has died at the age of 76.