"Everyone knows that a man can always marry even if he reaches 102, is penniless, and has all his faculties gone. There is always some woman willing to take a chance on him. (from the Complete Book of Etiquette, 1952)"
- Islamic State 'beheads US hostage' Wed, 03 Sep 2014 01:04:52 GMT
- An Islamic State video purporting to show the beheading of Steven Sotloff, a US journalist abducted by the group, is released.
- Obama in Europe for Ukraine talks Wed, 03 Sep 2014 01:48:50 GMT
- US President Barack Obama flies to Estonia for talks with regional leaders amid growing concern over Russia's intervention in Ukraine.
- Corruption 'costs millions of lives' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:58:03 GMT
- About $1tn a year is being taken out of poor countries and millions of lives are lost because of corruption, the One campaign group says.
- DNA overturns 30-year US convictions Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:56:35 GMT
- Two US men who spent three decades in prison for rape and murder, one on death row, are released after new DNA evidence proves their innocence.
- Celebrity leaks 'no breach' - Apple Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:49:12 GMT
- The leaking of intimate photos of celebrities from iCloud accounts was due to a theft of log-in information, not a security breach, says Apple.
- Ashya's parents freed from prison Tue, 02 Sep 2014 20:54:01 GMT
- The parents of Ashya King are released from prison in Spain after UK prosecutors withdrew a European arrest warrant.
- US targets al-Shabab's leader Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:44:15 GMT
- The US military says it has carried out air strikes in Somalia, targeting the leader of militant group al-Shabab, but it is unclear if he was killed.
- Credit Suisse investigating traders Wed, 03 Sep 2014 01:13:35 GMT
- Credit Suisse is investigating two of its traders in London over allegations of misconduct.
- Gayet wins new French privacy case Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:32:02 GMT
- Actress Julie Gayet, linked to President Hollande, wins a privacy case against a photographer who snapped her in her car, which French law deems private space.
- Mass escape from juvenile US prison Tue, 02 Sep 2014 18:35:15 GMT
- More than 30 teenagers held at a juvenile detention centre in Tennessee escape by crawling through a fence and nine are still being sought.
- Cockatoos teach tool-making tricks Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:19:28 GMT
- Cockatoos learn to make and use tools when shown by another bird, research reveals.
- Economics 'driving language loss' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:58:20 GMT
- A thriving economy can lead to the extinction of some languages, scientists believe.
- VIDEO: Apple: Celebrity accounts hacked Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:58:14 GMT
- The FBI are investigating allegations that the online accounts of dozens of celebrities have been hacked, allowing explicit photos to be posted on the internet.
- VIDEO: Beslan school siege: Ten years on Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:12:10 GMT
- Ten years after the end of the deadly siege of a school in Beslan, North Ossetia, BBC Russian's Olga Ivshina spoke to some of those who were there.
- VIDEO: Uganda's Ghetto Kids: 'Dance changed my life' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:03:04 GMT
- Children in Uganda working in a pioneering dance group, Ghetto Kids, have been describing how it has changed their lives for the better.