"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
- Space project will go on - Branson Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:48:06 GMT
- Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson vows to continue his space tourism venture despite the SpaceShipTwo craft crashing in the US, killing a pilot.
- Power struggle in Burkina Faso Sat, 01 Nov 2014 04:25:28 GMT
- A split emerges within Burkina Faso's armed forces over who is leading the country following the resignation of President Blaise Compaore.
- Funeral of murdered SA footballer Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:28:07 GMT
- Tens of thousands of mourners are attending the funeral of murdered South African football captain Senzo Meyiwa.
- Egypt jails 'gay wedding video' men Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:34:22 GMT
- Egypt court sentences eight men to three years in prison for appearing in a video alleged to be of a gay marriage.
- No Canada visas for Ebola countries Sat, 01 Nov 2014 11:04:25 GMT
- Canada suspends visa applications from countries in the grip of the Ebola outbreak, in a move similar to a much-criticised Australian plan.
- Bangladesh hit by major blackouts Sat, 01 Nov 2014 10:41:39 GMT
- Bangladesh is hit by major power blackouts after a power line connecting the country to India's electricity grid failed, reports say.
- Boko Haram denies ceasefire claim Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:38:43 GMT
- Militant group Boko Haram denies claims by Nigeria's government that it has agreed to a ceasefire and will release 219 abducted girls.
- Australia marks Anzac centenary Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:55:41 GMT
- Thousands gather in the Australian town of Albany to mark the centenary of the departure of the first Anzac troops in World War One.
- Iraqi Kurds 'in Kobane to fight IS' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:28:20 GMT
- Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga forces cross the Turkish border to help defend the Syrian town of Kobane from Islamic State militants.
- Uruguay registers cannabis growers Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:45:54 GMT
- The Uruguayan government announces the start of registration for licensed cannabis growers as part of its plan to legalise the drug.
- Reduced EU sea mission set to go Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:45:51 GMT
- The EU is to launch a limited operation in the Mediterranean to help Italy stem the flow of migrants from North Africa.
- Kenyan Jeptoo fails doping test Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:36:27 GMT
- Marathon runner Rita Jeptoo becomes the latest athlete from Kenya to fail a doping test, the country's athletics body confirm.
- VIDEO: Hello Kitty shrine in Singapore Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:38:16 GMT
- The BBC's Lucas de Jong found one place in Singapore where interior designer Terry Goh has spent seven years making Hello Kitty the centre of attention.
- VIDEO: Obamas welcome trick-or-treaters Sat, 01 Nov 2014 04:48:12 GMT
- US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle welcome some special guests to the White House for a trick-or-treat Halloween celebration.
- VIDEO: Prototype flying car shown off Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:18:17 GMT
- BBC Click looks at some of the week's technology highlights, including a flying car and electric rollerskates.