"There is a difference between a book of two hundred pages from the very beginning, and a book of two hundred pages which is the result of an original eight hundred pages. The six hundred are there. Only you don't see them."
—Elie(zer) Wiesel (b. 1928) Romanian-born writer, lecturer, survivor Nazi camps, Nobel
- India court reinstates gay sex ban Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:42:01 GMT
- India's Supreme Court overturns a 2009 ruling and upholds a law criminalising gay sex, in a move seen as a major blow to gay rights.
- US suspends non-lethal Syria aid Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:57:57 GMT
- The US suspends all non-lethal assistance for the opposition in northern Syria after Islamist rebels seize bases belonging to the Free Syrian Army.
- Thousands file past Mandela's body Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:40:33 GMT
- South Africans are queuing in their thousands to view the body of former President Nelson Mandela, which is lying in state for three days.
- Ukraine police abandon stand-off Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:32:54 GMT
- Pro-EU protesters in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, push back riot police from their protest bastions as the interior minister promises not to use force.
- Uruguay votes to legalise marijuana Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:49:05 GMT
- Uruguay's parliament votes to legalise the cultivation, sale and consumption of marijuana - the first country to do so.
- Putin orders Arctic military boost Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:18:58 GMT
- Russian President Vladimir Putin tells his military leadership they should build up their forces in the Arctic as a priority.
- US budget deal reached in Congress Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:11:52 GMT
- An agreement is reached on the US budget to avoid another government shutdown, Republican and Democratic lawmakers say.
- 'Revenge porn' site owner arrested Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:08:28 GMT
- A 27-year-old man has been arrested in connection a "revenge porn" website which sought to extort victims.
- China fruit market blaze kills 16 Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:14:07 GMT
- A fire in a farmers' market in south China's Shenzhen kills 16 people and injures at least three, officials say.
- French kill suspected Mali Islamists Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:39:17 GMT
- The French army confirms that it killed 19 people in a clash with suspected Islamists earlier this week in Mali.
- UK aims to double dementia funding Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:34:36 GMT
- The UK will aim to double annual funding for dementia research to £132m by 2025, up from the 2015 target of £66m, the prime minister says.
- Two Damien Hirst art works stolen Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:43:54 GMT
- Two signed Damien Hirst art works worth £33,000 are stolen from a London gallery.
- Outcry over 'inept' S Africa signer Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:14:10 GMT
- Deaf viewers of Nelson Mandela's memorial service complain that the official interpreter was "signing rubbish".
- Movie captures Earth-Moon 'dance' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:19:55 GMT
- The US space agency releases an extraordinary new movie of Earth and the Moon moving through space together.
- VIDEO: Soldier's new life with bionic arm Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:03:02 GMT
- A soldier injured in battle says he is determined to make a success of his new life with a bionic arm.