"From your parents you learn love and laughter and how to put one foot before the other. But when books are opened you discover that you have wings."
—Helen Hayes (b. 1900) American actress, Academy Award winner
- US strikes Islamic State in Syria Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:30:19 GMT
- The US and five Arab nations launch a campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, the Pentagon says.
- Israel murder suspects shot dead Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:46:14 GMT
- Two Palestinians suspected of the abduction and murder of three Israeli teenagers in June have been killed by Israeli forces, Israel's military says.
- 'Crucial' climate talks set to begin Tue, 23 Sep 2014 07:09:00 GMT
- World leaders including US President Barack Obama are holding what they say is a crucially important summit on climate change at the UN in New York.
- Tiger kills student at Delhi zoo Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:20:41 GMT
- A white tiger has killed an Indian student at Delhi zoo, officials and witnesses say.
- Second video of UK hostage released Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:19:25 GMT
- A second video has been released showing British journalist John Cantlie, who is being held hostage by Islamic State (IS) militants.
- China jails Uighur academic for life Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:40:43 GMT
- A Chinese court jails Uighur scholar Ilham Tohti for life for separatism, his lawyer says, in a verdict a rights group calls "deplorable".
- Algeria militants seize Frenchman Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:08:22 GMT
- Militants linked to Islamic State have seized a French tourist in Algeria and demanded an end to French air strikes in Iraq, France confirms.
- Andy Murray regrets tweet fallout Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:19:33 GMT
- Andy Murray says he does not "regret giving an opinion" but was "disappointed" with the way he tweeted his support for Scottish independence.
- White House intruder had ammo in car Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:50:12 GMT
- The man who broke into the White House on Friday had 800 rounds of ammunition, a machete and two hatchets in his car, officials say.
- Liberia in 'trees for cash' deal Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:11:15 GMT
- Liberia is to become the first nation in Africa to completely stop cutting down its trees in return for cash from Norway.
- China exporting 'tools of torture' Tue, 23 Sep 2014 05:06:56 GMT
- A growing number of Chinese companies are exporting "tools of torture" such as electric shock batons and spiked metal batons, Amnesty says.
- VIDEO: WW1 bus retraces Ypres battle routes Tue, 23 Sep 2014 07:15:11 GMT
- A London bus used in the Allied war effort of 1914 is retracing its route in Belgium.
- AUDIO: Pink Floyd unveil new album cover Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:13:06 GMT
- As the artwork for the new Pink Floyd album is unveiled, the band's creative director Aubrey Po speaks to BBC 6 Music about finding the right cover.
- VIDEO: Paralysed father 'walks' at wedding Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:42:47 GMT
- A wheelchair-bound father was able to stand up to deliver his speech at his daughter's wedding celebration thanks to a special robotic suit.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:16:56 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.