"Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the sense shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourse of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness."
—Helen Adams Keller (1880-1968) American memoirist, lecturer
- Scotland votes 'No' to independence Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:22:00 GMT
- Scotland votes to stay in the United Kingdom and First Minister Alex Salmond accepts defeat but calls for a pledge of more devolved powers to be honoured.
- French launch first strikes on IS Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:01:00 GMT
- France has carried out its first air strikes against IS militants in Iraq, the French presidency says, joining the US in military action against the group.
- GSK fined $490m by China for bribery Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:28:01 GMT
- China fines UK pharmaceuticals firm GlaxoSmithKline $490m (£297m) for bribery and its former head of Chinese operations is given a suspended jail sentence.
- Sierra Leone begins Ebola lockdown Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:41:28 GMT
- A three-day curfew begins in Sierra Leone to enable health workers to find and isolate cases of Ebola, but critics warn it will achieve little.
- Catalan move after Scotland vote Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:47:07 GMT
- Catalonia's President Artur Mas is to comment on the Scottish referendum result as he prepares his region for a similar vote in November.
- Iran Happy dancers to be lashed Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:14:36 GMT
- Six Iranians arrested for filming a video tribute to Pharrell Williams' song Happy are sentenced to 91 lashes and jail terms, their lawyer says.
- Eight dead in Florida house shooting Fri, 19 Sep 2014 05:36:07 GMT
- A grandfather shot dead his daughter and her six children before taking his own life at a home in Bell, Florida, police say.
- Australia boosts parliament security Fri, 19 Sep 2014 03:44:28 GMT
- Security is being upgraded at the Australian parliament following "chatter" suggesting extremists could target it for attack, the PM says.
- Japan to restart whaling programme Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:22:10 GMT
- Japan vows to restart its Antarctic whaling programme next year despite an International Whaling Commission vote that the hunt is illegal.
- Clashes in Yemen capital Sanaa Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:18:40 GMT
- Fighting between Shia rebels and Sunni militias in Yemen escalates, with clashes on the outskirts of the capital, prompting airlines to suspend flights.
- China tennis star Li Na retires Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:41:07 GMT
- China's sporting hero Li Na announces her retirement from tennis at the age of 32, citing injury problems.
- VIDEO: Fancy a look inside Downing Street? Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:51:56 GMT
- Some Westminster landmarks normally closed to the public, including Downing Street, will be open this weekend.
- VIDEO: California 'King fire' doubles in size Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:31:41 GMT
- Thousands of people have been forced to leave their homes in northern California after a wildfire burning out of control doubled in size in just 12 hours.
- VIDEO: 'Home of golf' accepts women members Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:16:05 GMT
- The Royal and Ancient Golf Club in St Andrews has voted to accept women members for the first time in its history.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 19 Sep 2014 06:53:49 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.