"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- Gunman kills two New York policemen Sun, 21 Dec 2014 02:01:49 GMT
- A gunman with an apparent grudge against the US police shoots dead two officers in a patrol car in New York before killing himself, officials say.
- US insists North Korea behind hack Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:47:59 GMT
- The US says North Korea must admit "culpability" for a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures after North Korea suggests a joint inquiry into the attack.
- Afghan Guantanamo inmates freed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 23:46:45 GMT
- Four Afghan detainees at the US prison in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba have been sent back to their home country, the Pentagon says.
- Cuba 'will stay on' communist path Sat, 20 Dec 2014 22:23:11 GMT
- Cuban President Raul Castro hails a recent move to normalise relations with the US but stresses that Havana will not change its political system.
- Russians 'will not cave in' to West Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:22:59 GMT
- Russia says it will not "cave in" to pressure, following a fresh set of US, EU and Canada sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine.
- Xi defends 'one-China' idea in Macau Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:02:12 GMT
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges Macau residents to respect the "one-China" policy, amid street protests in the former Portuguese colony.
- Lockerbie bomber's guilt reaffirmed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:05:08 GMT
- Scotland's top prosecutor says there is no evidence to suggest Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi is innocent.
- Cairns children's mother arrested Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:26:13 GMT
- Police arrest the mother of seven of the eight children found dead in a home in Cairns, Australia.
- Pakistan forces 'kill five Taliban' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:26:56 GMT
- Pakistan army kills five militants in northwest as security is tightened against possible Taliban reprisals for prisoner executions, officials say.
- Liberia holds vote delayed by Ebola Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:08:49 GMT
- Liberia votes in a senate election that was postponed because of the Ebola outbreak, with ex-footballer George Weah among the candidates.
- 'Allahu Akbar' attacker shot in France Sat, 20 Dec 2014 22:56:05 GMT
- Police in central France shoot dead a man who injured three officers at a police station whilst reportedly shouting "God is great!" in Arabic.
- Madonna releases songs after leak Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:37:20 GMT
- The singer surprises fans by releasing six tracks from her new album early after songs were leaked online.
- VIDEO: Japan's senior cheerleaders Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:11:53 GMT
- Cheerleading is usually seen as a young person's sport, but the Japan Senior Cheer Association is for women in their 60s and 70s.
- VIDEO: Mexico welcomes migrating butterflies Sat, 20 Dec 2014 03:41:31 GMT
- Millions of monarch butterflies have arrived in Mexico's forests as part of their annual migration from Canada and the United States.
- VIDEO: Month-old cheetahs 'doing well' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:19:55 GMT
- Four cheetah cubs born at Prague zoo in November are doing well, according to keepers.