"A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it."
—Edward P. Morgan
- Uneasy calm in Gaza after UN call Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:28:10 GMT
- A limited resumption of fighting in Gaza punctuates the relative calm that has followed a UN call overnight for an immediate ceasefire in the Strip.
- MH17 downing 'may be war crime' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:34:57 GMT
- The downing of Malaysian airliner MH17 in eastern Ukraine may constitute a "war crime", the UN human rights chief Navi Pillay says.
- Ferry students 'floated from cabins' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:50:48 GMT
- Students who survived South Korea's ferry disaster describe how they floated out of flooded cabins, as the trial of the crew continues.
- Yukos shareholders win $50bn payout Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:11:21 GMT
- A court based in The Hague has ordered Russia to pay $50bn (£29.5bn) to former shareholders in the defunct oil producer Yukos.
- Dinosaurs' extinction 'bad luck' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 04:21:49 GMT
- Dinosaurs might have survived if the asteroid that wiped them out had hit the Earth a few million years later or earlier, a new study suggests.
- Fears over massive Libya fuel fire Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:18:10 GMT
- Libya warns of a "humanitarian disaster" after a massive fire at a fuel storage site in Tripoli, as fighting between rival militias continues.
- Lightning kills man on US beach Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:05:14 GMT
- One man is killed and several people are hurt following lightning strikes on crowded Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California.
- Aruba frees top Venezuela official Mon, 28 Jul 2014 00:19:15 GMT
- The Caribbean island of Aruba releases a top Venezuelan official, Gen Hugo Carvajal, detained over US accusations of drug-trafficking activities.
- Fresh Benghazi clashes kill 38 Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:42:43 GMT
- At least 38 people are killed in clashes between pro-Libyan government troops and Islamist militants in the city of Benghazi, officials say.
- Bidding starts for fracking licences Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:14:06 GMT
- The bidding process for licences to extract shale gas - using the controversial process fracking - will begin later on Monday, the government announces.
- Japanese girl 'dismembers classmate' Mon, 28 Jul 2014 06:12:38 GMT
- A high school girl has been arrested on suspicion of killing and dismembering a classmate, Japanese police say.
- WW1 remembrance database launched Mon, 28 Jul 2014 01:10:31 GMT
- The Royal British Legion starts an online campaign to gather tributes to every Commonwealth serviceman and woman who died in World War One.
- VIDEO: Dog friendly buses in Hong Kong Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:58:10 GMT
- A new bus service has been launched in Hong Kong for pet lovers.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:43:08 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Quick-thinking mother saves baby Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:33:56 GMT
- A woman and her baby had a lucky escape, when they narrowly avoided being involved in a car accident in San Francisco.