"The lessons taught in great books are misleading. The commerce in life is rarely so simple and never so just."
- MH17 victims begin long journey home Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:27:15 GMT
- The first planes leave Ukraine carrying victims' bodies from crashed flight MH17 to the Netherlands, which is holding a day of mourning.
- UN warns of Israel Gaza 'war crimes' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:00:34 GMT
- UN human rights chief Navi Pillay says Israel may have committed war crimes in the Gaza Strip, while also condemning Hamas rocket attacks.
- Costa Concordia begins final journey Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:02:44 GMT
- The wreck of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia is being towed away for scrap, in one of the biggest maritime salvage operations ever staged.
- Rival to challenge Indonesia result Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:20:03 GMT
- The losing candidate in Indonesia's presidential election, Prabowo Subianto, will challenge the result in court, his spokesman says.
- Quarantine over China plague death Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:47:27 GMT
- Part of a city in north-west China is sealed off and dozens of people placed in quarantine after a man died of bubonic plague, state media say.
- Suicide car bomb kills 21 in Iraq Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:36:33 GMT
- A suicide car bomb has killed at least 21 people at a police checkpoint in Baghdad's Kadhimiya district, Iraqi police say.
- Airlines suspend flights into Israel Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:07:01 GMT
- US and European airlines suspend flights into Israel's Ben Gurion airport after Israeli police confirmed that a rocket landed one mile away.
- France jails pro-Palestinian rioters Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:50:04 GMT
- A French court jails three young men for rioting after a pro-Palestinian demonstration in a mixed suburb of Paris degenerated into anti-Semitic violence.
- US court allows Arizona execution Wed, 23 Jul 2014 01:39:03 GMT
- The US Supreme Court clears the way for Arizona to execute a murderer who had sought information about the lethal drugs to be used to kill him.
- China detains five over meat scandal Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:02:11 GMT
- China detains five people as part of its probe into a firm that allegedly supplied out of date meat to fast food chains, including McDonald's and KFC.
- Microsoft profit falls on Nokia loss Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:00:59 GMT
- Technology giant Microsoft reports a 7% fall in profits to $4.6bn in the second quarter, hit by a $692m loss at its newly-acquired Nokia handset division.
- Booker longlist set to be revealed Wed, 23 Jul 2014 04:28:27 GMT
- The longlist for the Man Booker Prize is set to be unveiled, with titles from around the world eligible for contention for the first time in its history.
- Glasgow ready for 2014 Games opening Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:45:04 GMT
- The Queen will formally open the 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in front of a 40,000 crowd at Celtic Park.
- VIDEO: Rodriguez hugs fan who invades pitch Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:59:53 GMT
- Colombian football star James Rodriguez hugged a fan who invaded the pitch as he was presented as a new player for Real Madrid.
- VIDEO: Amur leopards born at zoo Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:05:37 GMT
- Two rare Amur leopard cubs have been born at Twycross Zoo in Leicestershire.