"What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is the collection of books."
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- Russian aid convoy 'invades Ukraine' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:23:51 GMT
- Ukraine's President Poroshenko accuses Russia of a "flagrant violation of international law" after Russian humanitarian aid lorries crossed the border without permission.
- IS militants 'biggest threat' to US Fri, 22 Aug 2014 13:59:48 GMT
- Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq are the most dangerous threat the US has faced in recent years, senior American officials warn.
- Gaza: Suspected informants executed Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:49:31 GMT
- Hamas says 18 people suspected of collaborating with Israel have been executed, as two Palestinians are killed by Israeli air strikes on Gaza.
- Malaysia observes silence for MH17 Fri, 22 Aug 2014 08:53:56 GMT
- Malaysians observe a moment of silence following the arrival of the bodies of 20 victims of Flight MH17 which crashed in Ukraine in July.
- Syria death toll 'more than 191,000' Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:24:58 GMT
- More than 191,000 people have been killed in the Syria conflict up to April, UN says.
- German policeman in 'cannibal' trial Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:41:43 GMT
- A policeman goes on trial in Germany accused of murdering a businessman who allegedly shared a cannibalism fetish.
- Rain hampers Japan landslide rescue Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:05:13 GMT
- Heavy rain hampers rescue operations in Japan's Hiroshima prefecture where a landslide killed at least 39 people, with 51 still missing.
- Tour buses collide near Egypt resort Fri, 22 Aug 2014 06:29:21 GMT
- Two tourist buses collide near Sharm El-Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai peninsula, leaving 33 people dead and 41 injured, officials say.
- India's Kerala to ban alcohol sales Fri, 22 Aug 2014 04:57:34 GMT
- Authorities in the southern Indian state of Kerala outline plans to ban the sale and consumption of alcohol to tackle the state's drink problem.
- Fed says 'slack' in US jobs market Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:55:52 GMT
- US Federal Reserve chair Janet Yellen says there is still "remaining slack in the labour market".
- Senegal defends Ebola border closure Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:36:35 GMT
- Senegal defends the closure of its border with Guinea because of the deadly Ebola outbreak, after the WHO warned such measures are counter-productive.
- Four white lion cubs born in Germany Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:23:40 GMT
- Four rare white lion cubs - three males and one female - are born at a circus on tour in eastern Germany.
- VIDEO: Gibraltar banishes troublesome monkeys Fri, 22 Aug 2014 05:19:17 GMT
- Gibraltar is planning to banish some of its Barbary macaque population which have become too cheeky or aggressive
- VIDEO: Venezuela to fingerprint shoppers Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:21:32 GMT
- President Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela has announced a mandatory fingerprinting system in supermarkets to combat food shortages and smuggling.
- VIDEO: Russia ban bites Polish apple crop Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:11:38 GMT
- Russian EU food sanctions hit just before the Polish apple crop harvests leaving farmers with a glut of unsold fruit.