"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Buhari ahead in tight Nigeria poll Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:29:56 GMT
- Opposition candidate Muhammadu Buhari has a narrow lead over Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, with more than half the votes counted.
- 'Good chance' of Iran nuclear deal Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:42:57 GMT
- Russia's foreign minister says prospects of a preliminary agreement on Iran's nuclear programme are "very good" on the final day of intense talks.
- Turkish prosecutor taken hostage Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:48:22 GMT
- Armed men take hostage a Turkish prosecutor heading an inquiry into the death of a boy during anti-government protests in 2013.
- Turkey hit by massive power cut Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:20:17 GMT
- A huge power cut hits several cities in Turkey, including Istanbul's public transport network.
- Thai PM plans martial law replacement Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:46:33 GMT
- Thailand's Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha says he has asked for permission to end martial law, replacing it with new curbs.
- Myanmar drafts ceasefire with rebels Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:44:43 GMT
- Myanmar's President Thein Sein witnesses the signing of a draft ceasefire deal between the government and 16 rebel groups, which the UN says is "historic".
- France scraps payment for sex fines Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:09:26 GMT
- France's Senate rejects a planned 2013 law penalising people who pay for sex and decides to maintain the offence of soliciting.
- Indiana law 'grossly misconstrued' Tue, 31 Mar 2015 03:37:15 GMT
- The governor of the US state of Indiana strongly defends a contentious religious freedom law, amid a backlash from gay rights supporters.
- Peru prime minister deposed in spy row Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:19:53 GMT
- Peruvian Prime Minister Ana Jara is sacked by Congress over allegations that the country's spy agency gathered information on thousands of Peruvians.
- Jay Z promotes music streaming brand Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:49:18 GMT
- Some of the biggest names in entertainment have re-launched the music subscription service Tidal, which they claim will change musical history.
- Singapore charges Lee criticism teen Tue, 31 Mar 2015 05:09:36 GMT
- A 16-year-old Singaporean is charged and given S$20,000 bail over a YouTube video criticising late leader Lee Kuan Yew and Christianity.
- Top Gear: Andy Wilman not quitting Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:52:32 GMT
- Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman denies he is quitting the show after a leaked email from him thanking staff and marking the end of an era.
- VIDEO: Alps rescuer: 'The scene was surreal' Thu, 26 Mar 2015 21:40:51 GMT
- Jean Sebastien Beaud from the mountain police, who arrived at the French Alps site soon after the plane crash, describes the scene as "surreal".
- VIDEO: Does your pet have 'separation anxiety'? Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:39:26 GMT
- Vets are warning that a growing number of dogs and other pets are suffering from separation anxiety as peoples' working habits change.
- VIDEO: China warning over global warming Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:24:45 GMT
- The head of China's weather bureau warns that the country faces serious problems as a result of climate change.