"The book is here to stay. What we're doing is symbolic of the peaceful coexistence of the book and the computer."
—Vartan Gregorian President, NY Public Library
- IS forces 'pushed back' in Iraq Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:42:26 GMT
- Kurdish and Iraqi forces say they have gained ground from Islamic State militants in northern Iraq and near Baghdad, amid intense US-led air strikes.
- Ebola outbreak cases pass 10,000 Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:00:39 GMT
- The number of cases in the Ebola outbreak passes 10,000, with 4,922 deaths, the World Health Organization's latest report says.
- Chile marches against education bill Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:15:33 GMT
- Tens of thousands of parents in Chile march against the government's planned education bill which would phase out subsidised schools.
- Cream bassist Jack Bruce dies, aged 71 Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:22:55 GMT
- Scottish musician Jack Bruce, the bassist and singer with 1960s supergroup Cream, dies aged 71, his publicist confirms.
- Attacks 'threaten Egypt's existence' Sat, 25 Oct 2014 12:03:52 GMT
- Egypt faces an existential threat from jihadists, the president says, after at least 31 soldiers are killed in two attacks in the Sinai peninsula.
- Clashes hit historic Lebanese market Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:40:56 GMT
- At least six Lebanese soldiers have died in clashes with Islamist gunmen at a historic market in the northern town of Tripoli, the army says.
- Iran woman's hanging draws protests Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:19:36 GMT
- Iran hangs a woman who killed a man she said was trying to sexually abuse her, drawing protests from human rights groups and western countries.
- Mass protest over Italy job reforms Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:04:08 GMT
- A mass protest is held in the Italian capital, Rome, against Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's plans for labour market reform.
- US urges probe into West Bank death Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:03:05 GMT
- The US urges an investigation after an Palestinian-American teenager is shot dead by Israeli soldiers near Ramallah in the West Bank.
- Protesters scuffle at N Korea border Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:04:27 GMT
- Scuffles break out as South Korean residents try to prevent activists sending balloons into the North carrying anti-government leaflets.
- Britain must pay EU bill, says MEP Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:05:03 GMT
- The rest of Europe expects the UK to settle a £1.7bn EU budget demand "and that's that", a vice president of the European Parliament has said.
- Mulaudzi killed in a car crash Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:06:51 GMT
- Former Olympic 800m silver medallist Mbulaeni Mulaudzi is killed in a road traffic accident in his native South Africa.
- VIDEO: Paris's Picasso museum reopens Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:13:33 GMT
- Paris's world-renowned Picasso museum is reopening after being closed for five years.
- VIDEO: Russia turns back clocks for good Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:48:49 GMT
- Russia prepares to turn back the clocks, moving the country on to "permanent winter time" - a move which has divided opinion
- VIDEO: Using Facebook to get a pay rise Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:13:53 GMT
- BBC News speaks to the creators of Smarpshare, who want employees to become brand ambassadors for their firms.