"A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight."
—Robertson Davies (b. 1913) Canadian novelist
- Thousands flee battle for Iraqi city Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:23:01 GMT
- A military operation to retake the Iraqi city of Tikrit from Islamic State forces about 28,000 people to flee their homes, the UN says.
- 'Boko Haram' kill dozens in Nigeria Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:49:51 GMT
- Suspected Boko Haram militants kill at least 64 people in a raid on a remote village in Borno state, north-east Nigeria, witnesses say.
- Plane skids off New York runway Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:33:17 GMT
- A passenger plane has skidded off the runway at LaGuardia airport in New York City amid snowy conditions.
- Argentina prosecutor 'was murdered' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:29:43 GMT
- Independent tests show that Argentine prosecutor Alberto Nisman was deliberately killed, his family says, ruling out accident or suicide.
- Top US circus to end elephant act Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:42:54 GMT
- The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus said it plans to stop using the animals by 2018.
- Boston victim 'spotted bomber’ Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:01:42 GMT
- A man who lost his legs in the Boston Marathon bombings told the court that he locked eyes with one of the bombers just before the attack.
- US envoy survives Korea knife attack Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:43:33 GMT
- A militant Korean nationalist slashes the face of the US ambassador to South Korea, with the North calling it a "knife shower of justice".
- Facebook rant lands man in UAE jail Thu, 05 Mar 2015 13:06:17 GMT
- An American has been arrested in the United Arab Emirates for comments he posted on Facebook while in the US.
- Tanzania albino killers face death Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:12:00 GMT
- Four people, including the victim's husband, are sentenced to death in Tanzania after being found guilty of murdering an albino woman.
- Liberia releases last Ebola patient Thu, 05 Mar 2015 13:36:37 GMT
- Liberia has released its last Ebola patient after going a week without any new cases for the first time since May 2014, according to health officials.
- Nuclear deal 'very bad for Iranians' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 17:54:00 GMT
- Israel's prime minister warns the people of Iran that the nuclear deal being negotiated by their government and world powers is "very bad" for them.
- Film-maker defends India rape film Thu, 05 Mar 2015 19:09:09 GMT
- A British film-maker defends her documentary about the 2012 gang rape in Delhi, hours after Indian authorities launch a slew of legal action.
- VIDEO: The greatest threat to China's elephants Wed, 04 Mar 2015 23:44:00 GMT
- The greatest threat to China's wild elephants is no longer poaching but habitat destruction.
- VIDEO: The 'Alcatraz of Indonesia'. Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:03:34 GMT
- The BBC looks at the prison, which has been called "the Alcatraz of Indonesia" - where two Australians, expected to face execution this week, have been transferred.
- VIDEO: Software designs robotic solutions Thu, 05 Mar 2015 08:34:31 GMT
- The latest in robotics including software which can design electronics to solve problems