"A Book of Verses undeneath the Bough, A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread - and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness- Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"
—Omar Khayyám (1050?-1123) Persian poet, mathematician, astronomer
- What Do Conservatives Want For 2016? We Asked Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:08:00 -0500
- Attendees at the Conservative Political Action Conference say they want the next president to focus on bipartisanship, faith, security and lower taxes.
- 5 Quotes From Earl Lloyd, The First Black Player In The NBA Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:00:13 -0500
- Earl Lloyd, who died Thursday, once recalled telling a young man who thanked him for blazing a trail, "Man, you owe me absolutely nothing."
- Families Of ISIS Victims React To Identification Of 'Jihadi John' Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:52:00 -0500
- The family of Steven Sotloff said they hoped the man identified as Mohammed Emzawi is brought to justice. The daughter of aid worker David Haines said she wanted a "bullet between ... [his] eyes."
- When Food Is Too Good To Waste, College Kids Pick Up The Scraps Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:51:00 -0500
- Millions of tons of food are wasted on college campuses around the country, and students are noticing. Some of them are now rescuing food to make tasty meals for the needy and compost for gardens.
- Parents Choose A Simple Device To Reshape A Baby's Ear Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:07:00 -0500
- Sometimes a baby's outer ear may be a tad misshapen. Surgery can help later on, but a plastic mold makes the most of the fact that a newborn's ears are pliable. They can reshape within weeks.
- Leonard Nimoy, Mr. Spock On 'Star Trek,' Dies At 83 Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:37:00 -0500
- The cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, his granddaughter tells NPR.
- U.S. Biologists Keen To Explore, Help Protect Cuba's Wild Places Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:11:44 -0500
- Birders especially know that Cuba harbors hundreds of rarely seen, little-studied species. As the island nation opens to more U.S. visitors, scientists hope "green Cuba" can survive increased tourism.
- A Glut Of Ph.Ds Means Long Odds Of Getting Jobs Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:08:00 -0500
- Only 1 in 5 Ph.Ds in science, engineering and health end up with faculty teaching or research positions within five years of completing their degrees. But universities keep churning them out.
- Even If Chicago 'Black Site' Story Is A Stretch, It Stirred Up Bad Memories Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:29:00 -0500
- While The Guardian's report on an alleged Chicago police "black site" has been challenged by other media, it recalls the "bad old days" of police torture under ex-commander Jon Burge.
- 9 People Found Dead In Southern Missouri Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:28:00 -0500
- Police say a gunman is among those who died following a series of shootings in multiple locations Thursday night.
- 5 Things To Know About The Latest Supreme Court Challenge To Health Law Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:09:23 -0500
- Millions of Americans might not be able to afford insurance if the Supreme Court rules the government erred in making subsidies available in all states. Arguments are
- Senate OKs Funding For Homeland Security; House Has Rival Plan Fri, 27 Feb 2015 08:48:00 -0500
- The Senate has voted to fund Homeland Security through Sept. 30. But it will likely also take up a three-week extension of funding that is moving forward in the House.
- ISIS Extremist Who Beheaded Prisoners Is Identified Fri, 27 Feb 2015 05:03:00 -0500
- The masked man who appeared to behead hostages in videos for the so-called Islamic State, also known as ISIS, has been revealed. Known in the media as "Jihadi John," his real name is Mohammed Emwazi.
- Using A Can Of Coke To Explain A Currency Lesson Fri, 27 Feb 2015 05:03:00 -0500
- The U.S. economy has been doing well. That's pushed the value of the U.S. dollar up — relative to other currencies. A strong dollar sounds like good news, but there are winners and losers.
- Jeb Bush Takes 2016 Show Into Unfriendly Territory At CPAC Fri, 27 Feb 2015 04:03:00 -0500
- Bush has appeared almost exclusively before friendly audiences since leaving the Florida governorship eight years ago, but today he faces a less-receptive crowd of conservative activists.