"There is no reason why the same man should like the same book at 18 and at 48."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Colo. Democrats Bet On Immigration To Boost Udall's Re-Election Bid Thu, 28 Aug 2014 05:01:00 -0400
- Sen. Mark Udall's campaign has been hitting Republican Rep. Cory Gardner hard on the issue, and the state's Latino community is once again thought to be the constituency that could decide the race.
- Former Border Protection Insider Alleges Corruption, Distortion In Agency Thu, 28 Aug 2014 03:47:00 -0400
- James Tomsheck was pushed out of his job as internal affairs chief for Customs and Border Protection in June. He warns the agency has become a paramilitary organization with little accountability.
- An Icy Solution To The Mystery Of The Slithering Stones Thu, 28 Aug 2014 03:46:00 -0400
- In the moonscape of Death Valley, one mystery stands out: boulders that seem to creep along the desert floor when nobody's looking. Thanks to video and GPS, scientists now think they know why.
- How Foster Farms Is Solving The Case Of The Mystery Salmonella Thu, 28 Aug 2014 03:43:00 -0400
- Foster Farms has been accused of poisoning its customers with salmonella bacteria. But in recent months, the company has become a leader in the poultry industry's fight against the foodborne pathogen.
- Brooklyn Man Fights In Syria; Officials Unsure Of The Threat Thu, 28 Aug 2014 03:42:00 -0400
- Yemeni-American Ahmed al-Moflihi likely fought alongside a rebel group with ties to the U.S.-backed Free Syrian Army. But officials are investigating anyway: Fight in Syria, and you raise a red flag.
- FBI Investigates Cyberattacks Against Financial Institutions Thu, 28 Aug 2014 02:46:00 -0400
- The FBI said Wednesday it's working with the Secret Service to determine the scope of recently reported cyberattacks against several U.S. financial institutions.
- 'Cops' TV Crew Member Killed By Omaha Police Bullet Thu, 28 Aug 2014 02:27:00 -0400
- During an armed robbery at a Wendy's restaurant in Omaha, Neb., the audio supervisor for the TV show was struck by "friendly fire" from one of the officers. The robbery suspect was also killed.
- Deal Reached To Sell Market Basket Chain To Ex-CEO Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:23:00 -0400
- The New England supermarket chain that has been in turmoil for weeks over a workers' revolt and customer boycott announced that former CEO Arthur T. Demoulas will buy a majority stake in the business.
- Former Iowa Lawmaker Admits To Getting Payoff Before 2012 Caucuses Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:34:00 -0400
- Kent Sorenson pleaded guilty in federal court to taking under-the-table payments when he switched sides between GOP presidential candidates. The former state senator previously denied the rumors.
- ACLU, U.S. Settle Lawsuit On Deportation Of Immigrants Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:06:00 -0400
- Under the deal, immigrants who are in the country illegally must be informed of their right to a hearing before an immigration judge. The ACLU was representing nine Mexicans and three organizations.
- Diplomats And Lawyers Try To Define 'Culturally Acceptable Food' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:34:00 -0400
- Some governments recently said that agricultural investments should supply "culturally acceptable food." Now they're trying to define what that is.
- In Settlement, Homeland Security Agrees To Reform 'Voluntary Departures' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:20:00 -0400
- The Department of Homeland Security is settling a lawsuit with the ACLU, which deals with immigrants who were improperly pushed to leave the country.
- CBO Forecast: There's Good News And Bad News Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:11:00 -0400
- The nonpartisan budget office reports growth that's slower than expected, but also that the Affordable Care Act's changes to Medicare are successfully holding down costs.
- Freemasonry Still Alive And Well, And (Mostly) Men-Only Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:10:00 -0400
- The Freemasons are arguably one of the world's most famous men's organizations. Membership has been falling in the U.S. since the 1960s, but millennials are now showing an interest in the fraternity.
- Life After Ice Buckets: ALS Group Faces $94 Million Challenge Wed, 27 Aug 2014 16:43:00 -0400
- The ALS Association has raised more than $94 million in recent weeks via its online ice bucket challenge — compared with $2.7 million this time last year. Now what?