"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Funerals for Pakistan mosque victims Sat, 31 Jan 2015 14:11:37 GMT
- Funerals take place in Pakistan for the victims of a suicide attack on a Shia mosque during Friday prayers which killed at least 60 people.
- Italy MPs elect judge as president Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:39:56 GMT
- Italy's parliament elects judge Sergio Mattarella as the country's president, on a third day of voting for the largely ceremonial post.
- DNA tests for babies in Mexico blast Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:08:36 GMT
- Nine babies who survived a gas explosion at a Mexican hospital are given DNA testing so they can be reunited with their parents.
- Bahrain strips 72 of citizenship Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:30:05 GMT
- The government of Bahrain revokes the nationalities of 72 citizens for damaging national security, the state BNA news agency has reported.
- Canadian PM seeks wider terror laws Fri, 30 Jan 2015 21:52:48 GMT
- Encouraging terror attacks against Canada will become a crime under legislation proposed by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- Pupils 'must know times tables by 11' Sun, 01 Feb 2015 04:10:12 GMT
- All children in England will need to know their 12 times table by the time they leave primary school under plans announced by the education secretary.
- Firms to begin inmate rehabilitation Sun, 01 Feb 2015 01:22:34 GMT
- A scheme that will use private contractors to rehabilitate prisoners who have served short sentences is due to start.
- Phoenix Nights actor Robbins 'stable' Sat, 31 Jan 2015 23:48:50 GMT
- Phoenix Nights comedian Ted Robbins is in a stable condition in hospital after collapsing on stage during a show at Manchester Arena, the venue says.
- Labour makes Cameron billboard vow Sun, 01 Feb 2015 01:41:35 GMT
- The Labour party vows not to feature Prime Minister David Cameron on billboards ahead of the general election as it wants to avoid negative personal campaigning.
- Week in pictures: 24-30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:21:55 GMT
- News photos from around the world
- In pictures: Destruction in Kobane Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:23:34 GMT
- Devastation caused by fighting in Syrian town
- Day in pictures: 30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:20:45 GMT
- Images from around the world: 30 January
- At the pump Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:47:07 GMT
- Petrol stations around the world
- In pictures: UK snow 29 January 2015 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:04:39 GMT
- Pictures from around the country
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January