"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- TV aims to 'bust cannabis myths' Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:31:23 GMT
- A new TV channel in Chile is promoting "cannabis culture" and legalisation of the drug.
- Ghana appoint Grant as new coach Thu, 27 Nov 2014 13:48:02 GMT
- Ghana appoint former Chelsea boss Avram Grant as their new coach six weeks before the start of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
- Afghan attack hits UK embassy car Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:08:25 GMT
- A suicide bomber strikes a UK embassy vehicle in the Afghan capital Kabul, with a British worker and an Afghan staff member among those killed.
- Spain is not corrupt, says PM Rajoy Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:24:20 GMT
- Spanish leader Mariano Rajoy tells MPs that most politicians are not corrupt, a day after his health minister stepped down over a kick-back scandal.
- Colombia rebels release two soldiers Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:47:42 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebels release two soldiers taken hostage earlier this month, a first step towards resuming peace talks.
- French trial over Tel Aviv car death Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:18:33 GMT
- Two Frenchmen go on trial in Paris over a hit-and-run accident in which a young Israeli woman was killed by a speeding car in Tel Aviv in 2011.
- Tensions ease in protest-hit Ferguson Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:59:34 GMT
- A level of calm returns to the streets of Ferguson after two nights of unrest, although dozens of protesters have been arrested in California.
- Scotland 'should set income tax' Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:00:02 GMT
- The Scottish Parliament should have the power to set income tax rates and bands, the body on strengthening devolution recommends.
- English votes plans 'by Christmas' Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:04:25 GMT
- Proposals for English MPs to vote on English laws are to be brought in before Christmas, David Cameron says.
- Hunted man held over double murder Thu, 27 Nov 2014 20:46:06 GMT
- A man is arrested on suspicion of murdering a couple whose bodies were found at their village home.
- UK net migration rises to 260,000 Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:41:45 GMT
- The government is set to miss its immigration targets as net migration to the UK reaches its highest level since the 2010 general election.
- Your pictures: Insects Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:12:17 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "insects"
- Day in pictures: 26 November 2014 Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:54:02 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 25 November
- In pictures: Ferguson riots aftermath Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:28:14 GMT
- Scenes of widespread damage in Ferguson
- Picture power: Pausing the moment Wed, 26 Nov 2014 04:12:21 GMT
- Story behind an image of a student protest