"We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. ... It is time now to write the next chapter-and to write it in the books of law."
—Lyndon Baines Johnson (1908-73) 36th US President, Democrat
- Oxfam seeks post-Ebola Marshall Plan Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:50:37 GMT
- Oxfam calls for a multi-million dollar Marshall Plan-type scheme to help West African countries worst affected by Ebola recover from the crisis.
- US and India can be 'best partners' Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:05:02 GMT
- President Barack Obama says the US and India should "stand together" as he concludes a three-day visit seen as a sign of warming ties between the two countries.
- Spain jet crash deaths rise to 11 Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:49:15 GMT
- A ninth French national dies following the crash involving a Greek F-16 fighter jet at a Spanish military base, officials say.
- Thousands march for Mexico missing Tue, 27 Jan 2015 01:40:30 GMT
- Thousands take part in marches in Mexico City to demand a full investigation into the disappearance of 43 students four months ago.
- Islamic State 'driven out of Kobane' Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:46:09 GMT
- Kurdish forces have driven Islamic State (IS) militants from of Kobane, officials say, ending a four-month battle for the northern Syrian town.
- Device triggers White House alert Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:42:18 GMT
- A flying device known as a "quad copter" triggered a security alert when it landed in the grounds of the White House, a US official says.
- Leaders in '100 days to go' battle Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:59:44 GMT
- Labour sets out details of a "10-year plan" for the NHS and the Conservatives outline plans to lower the benefits cap as they step up campaigning 100 days from the general election.
- Gross murder suspect 'faced charge' Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:14:46 GMT
- Charges would have been brought against Alice Gross murder suspect Arnis Zalkalns if he had lived, the Met Police says.
- Kent prison 'ordered to be closed' Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:15:54 GMT
- The Ministry of Justice orders the closure of Blantyre House Prison in Kent, according to the Prison Governors' Association (PGA).
- PM: Yes to TV debates with NI parties Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:47:55 GMT
- David Cameron says a deal could be done for TV debates to go ahead if Northern Ireland's parties were represented on the panel.
- Taking the plunge Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:54:51 GMT
- Cold Water Swimming Championships
- In pictures: Church of England's first woman bishop consecration Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:40:06 GMT
- Church of England's first female bishop
- Day in pictures: 26 January 2015 Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:12:12 GMT
- Images from around the world: 26 January
- In pictures: Australia Day 2015 Mon, 26 Jan 2015 06:10:08 GMT
- The country celebrates its official national day
- Week in pictures: 17-23 January 2015 Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:51:44 GMT
- News photos from around the world