"If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it? Good God, we also would be happy if we had no books and such books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."
—Franz Kafka (1883-1924) Austrian writer, The Metamorphosis, The Trial
- Bone in April case 'from skull' Tue, 21 May 2013 19:01:35 GMT
- Bone fragments found in the fireplace of the man accused of the murder of five-year-old April Jones were from a human skull, a jury is told.
- In pictures: India's fading trams Mon, 20 May 2013 23:19:20 GMT
- India's last remaining tramcars
- In pictures: Monster tornado hits Oklahoma Tue, 21 May 2013 16:17:59 GMT
- Gigantic tornado rips through Oklahoma City
- Eurovision Song Contest in pictures Sat, 18 May 2013 23:31:10 GMT
- 58th Eurovision Song Contest in Malmo
- Day in pictures: 20 May 2013 Mon, 20 May 2013 11:45:58 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photos: 20 May
- In pictures: English ritual year Sat, 18 May 2013 08:29:31 GMT
- Idiosyncratic English rituals on camera
- Week in pictures: 11-17 May 2013 Fri, 17 May 2013 15:40:43 GMT
- Some of the best news photos this week
- In pictures: Things come apart Fri, 17 May 2013 07:26:07 GMT
- Inside everyday objects and design classics
- In pictures: Raw power of the Sun Fri, 17 May 2013 06:17:41 GMT
- Best pictures of our parent star
- Readers' music to banish the blues Tue, 21 May 2013 16:07:58 GMT
- The songs readers most enjoy when they are feeling low
- How religions change their mind Tue, 21 May 2013 02:22:29 GMT
- How does a religion change what it believes?
- The Indian doctor revered in China Tue, 21 May 2013 15:07:18 GMT
- Why does every Chinese leader want to salute this Indian?
- Rios Montt trial: Fight goes on Tue, 21 May 2013 18:51:15 GMT
- Fights goes on in Guatemala as genocide verdict overturned
- South Africa rising? A country of contradictions Tue, 21 May 2013 20:18:36 GMT
- The country's economy still caught in contradictions
- Clock ticks on Swiss banking secrecy Tue, 21 May 2013 08:43:26 GMT
- Swiss banks creak under pressure to end trademark secrecy