"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Germany backs female directors quota Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:10:55 GMT
- Top German companies are told to ensure that 30% of supervisory board positions are held by women from 2016 under a law agreed late on Tuesday.
- Colombia rebels release two soldiers Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:47:42 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebels release two soldiers taken hostage earlier this month, a first step towards resuming peace talks.
- Eight hostages freed in Yemen raid Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:44:48 GMT
- Yemeni troops take part in a raid to rescue a group of eight hostages being held by al-Qaeda, but there are conflicting reports of US involvement
- Family 'crushed' by Ferguson ruling Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:07:16 GMT
- The family of Michael Brown, the black teenager shot dead by a policeman, say they are "crushed" by the decision not to charge Darren Wilson.
- Concerns over terror exclusion plans Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:27:34 GMT
- The UK's reviewer of terrorism laws raises concerns about plans to exclude people from the UK if they go abroad to fight with extremist groups, as a new counter-terror bill is published
- Meters overcharge 1.5m gas customers Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:32:05 GMT
- About 1.5 million gas customers with pre-payment meters have been overcharged because their meters are faulty, the industry has admitted.
- 'Radical' Scottish land reform plan Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:21:46 GMT
- Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announces plans to take action against landowners who pose a "barrier" to development.
- Burglars admit attacking lecturer Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:22:33 GMT
- Four men admit a burglary during which a university lecturer was savagely beaten at his south London home.
- Your pictures: Insects Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:12:17 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "insects"
- In pictures: Ferguson riots aftermath Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:28:14 GMT
- Scenes of widespread damage in Ferguson
- Day in pictures: 25 November 2014 Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:34:05 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 25 November
- In pictures: Ruling sparks rioting in US town of Ferguson Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:45:45 GMT
- Night of unrest follows a jury's decision
- The dangerous beauty of the Himalayas Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:15:29 GMT
- The dangerous beauty of the Himalayas
- Week in pictures: 15-21 November 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:43:22 GMT
- The best news photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 24 November 2014 Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:49:11 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 24 November