"The only words that ever satisfied me as describing Nature are the terms used in fairy books, charm, spell, enchantment. They express the arbitrariness of the fact and its mystery."
—Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) British writer, critic
- 'Injured parrot' was Christmas hat Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:00:17 GMT
- A woman is left "mortified" after calling in the Scottish SPCA to rescue an injured parrot that turned out to be a Christmas hat.
- China to send troops to South Sudan Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:42:44 GMT
- China says 700 troops are ready to be deployed to South Sudan to bolster a UN peacekeeping force in the world's newest state.
- Pakistan arrests over school attack Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:45:44 GMT
- Pakistan's interior minister says police have arrested several suspects in connection with last week's massacre at a school in Peshawar.
- Driver attacks French pedestrians Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:59:31 GMT
- A driver shouting the Islamic phrase "God is great" in Arabic runs down pedestrians in the French city of Dijon, injuring 11, French media say.
- Argentine town bans beauty contests Mon, 22 Dec 2014 01:50:23 GMT
- A town in Argentina becomes the first in the country to ban beauty queen competitions in its traditional festivities, arguing they are sexist.
- Oil price fall 'not Opec's fault' Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:54:12 GMT
- Oil-rich Gulf states vow not to cut crude production, blaming speculators and producers outside the Opec group for falling prices.
- US mulls putting NK on terror list Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:27:26 GMT
- The US is considering putting North Korea back on its terrorism sponsors list, President Barack Obama says, after a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures.
- Child abuse inquiry overhaul urged Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:38:27 GMT
- Dozens of child abuse survivors urge the government to scrap an inquiry into historical abuse and replace it with a more powerful body.
- Man dies in police Taser shooting Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:50:22 GMT
- A man dies after being shot by police with a Taser during a suspected burglary in Staffordshire.
- Tesco accounts face fresh inquiry Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:27:07 GMT
- The Financial Reporting Council announces an inquiry into Tesco's accounts for 2012, 2013 and 2014 following the £250m mis-statement of its profits.
- Parties say progress made in talks Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:58:12 GMT
- First Minister Peter Robinson says he believes that there is "real money on the table" from Westminster as cross-party talks continue at Stormont.
- Day in pictures: 22 December 2014 Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:57:04 GMT
- Images from around the world: 22 December
- Brighton Winter Solstice in pictures Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:59:19 GMT
- Brighton's annual Burning the Clocks
- Week in pictures: 13-19 December 2014 Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:42:43 GMT
- News photo from around the world
- Picture power: Doused with milk Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:12:51 GMT
- Treated for the effects of pepper spray