"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Chad 'forces Boko Haram from town' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:13:21 GMT
- Chad's army has driven Boko Haram militants out of Malumfatori town in north-eastern Nigeria, a senior official from Niger tells the BBC.
- Uber sued over India rape allegation Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:03:17 GMT
- An Indian woman who says she was raped by a Delhi driver of web-based taxi firm Uber files a lawsuit against the service in a US court.
- Portugal gives Jews 'return rights' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:41:17 GMT
- The Portuguese government grants citizenship rights to descendants of Sephardic Jews expelled from the country five centuries ago.
- Deadly blast hits Mexico hospital Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:35:00 GMT
- A gas tank lorry explodes outside a maternity and children's hospital in Mexico City, killing a woman and a baby.
- Jordan seeks proof pilot is alive Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:37:15 GMT
- Jordan seeks proof a pilot held hostage by the Islamic State group is still alive, as efforts to negotiate a prisoner swap continue.
- Fugitive treasure hunter in court Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:14:34 GMT
- Tommy Thompson appears in court after two years on the run, accused of cheating investors out of proceeds from a 19th century shipwreck haul.
- Labour peer backs private role in NHS Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:39:00 GMT
- Former Labour health minister Lord Darzi tells BBC's Newsnight it is irrelevant whether NHS care is delivered by the private or the public sector.
- Churchill's funeral anniversary marked Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:48:46 GMT
- A series of events in London is set to mark the 50th anniversary of the state funeral of Sir Winston Churchill.
- Training cuts 'could harm patients' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:57:31 GMT
- Proposals to shorten medical training for doctors in the UK could seriously compromise patient care and safety, leading doctors warn.
- Fresh snow brings travel disruption Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:54:16 GMT
- Wintry weather is continuing to cause travel disruption in parts of England.
- At the pump Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:47:07 GMT
- Petrol stations around the world
- In pictures: UK snow 29 January 2015 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:04:39 GMT
- Pictures from around the country
- Your pictures: City skylines Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:50:51 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "city skylines"
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January
- Shetland celebrates Up Helly Aa Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:37:46 GMT
- Shetland's spectacular annual re festival