"All of us can think of a book... that we hope none of our children have taken off the shelf. But if I have the right to remove that book from the shelf -that work I abhor- then you also have exactly the same right and so does everyone else. And then we have no books left on the shelf for any of us."
- SA police anti-crime site hacked Thu, 23 May 2013 13:24:28 GMT
- A hacker has attacked a South African police website, downloading the details of whistleblowers who reported crime, an official says.
- Bomb attack kills Pakistan police Thu, 23 May 2013 14:40:50 GMT
- A bomb planted in a rickshaw has killed at least 12 people in Quetta in south-west Pakistan, officials say.
- Germany tops BBC country image poll Thu, 23 May 2013 15:58:32 GMT
- A poll in 25 countries for the BBC World Service suggests Germany is the most favourably viewed country in the world.
- Cave paintings uncovered in Mexico Thu, 23 May 2013 03:44:21 GMT
- Archaeologists in Mexico find 4,926 cave paintings in red, yellow, black and white in the north-eastern region of Burgos.
- Kerry condemns Hezbollah over Syria Wed, 22 May 2013 22:55:02 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry says Lebanon's Hezbollah and Iran are perpetuating President Bashar al-Assad's "campaign of terror" in Syria.
- Shot US suspect 'admitted' murder Thu, 23 May 2013 09:38:03 GMT
- A Florida man who was shot and killed by Boston bombing investigators was about to confess to a 2011 triple murder before he died, FBI officials say.
- Wear your uniforms, PM tells forces Thu, 23 May 2013 16:19:48 GMT
- Post-attack uniform advice relaxed
- Arrests in nursery sex assault probe Thu, 23 May 2013 14:32:04 GMT
- Five men are arrested after a child tells of being sexually assaulted at a children's nursery in Worcestershire.
- April accused's paedophile denial Thu, 23 May 2013 15:45:51 GMT
- A man accused of murdering five-year-old April Jones in a sexually motivated attack tells a court he is not a paedophile.
- Net immigration 'down by a third' Thu, 23 May 2013 15:41:16 GMT
- The number of people coming to the UK has fallen by over 80,000 in the last year as figures show net migration is down by a third.
- Day in pictures: 22 May 2013 Wed, 22 May 2013 11:18:56 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photoss: 22 May
- In pictures: Keeping cool in India's heat wave Wed, 22 May 2013 12:29:46 GMT
- In the grip of a scorching heat wave
- Day in pictures: 21 May 2013 Tue, 21 May 2013 11:54:23 GMT
- Twenty-four hours of news photos: 21 May
- In pictures: India's fading trams Mon, 20 May 2013 23:19:20 GMT
- India's last remaining tramcars
- In pictures: Monster tornado hits Oklahoma Wed, 22 May 2013 08:16:58 GMT
- Gigantic tornado rips through Oklahoma City