"Critics are by no means the end of the law. Do not think all is over with you because you articles are rejected. It may be that the editor has his drawer full, or that he does not know enough to appreciate you, or you have not gained a reputation, or he is not in a mood to be pleased. A critic's judgment is like that of any intelligent person. If he has experience, he is capable of judging whether a book will sell. That is all."
—Lavina Goodell Junior editor, Harper's Bazaar
- IS accused of Iraq ethnic cleansing Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:22:47 GMT
- Amnesty International says it has proof Islamic State militants have launched a campaign of ethnic cleansing against minorities in northern Iraq.
- Halliburton agrees oil spill deal Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:42:30 GMT
- US oilfield firm Halliburton says it has agreed a $1.1bn settlement to meet the majority of claims against it for its role in the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- New child abuse victims come forward Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:26:41 GMT
- Twelve new victims have come forward since a report found at least 1,400 children were abused in Rotherham, South Yorkshire's chief constable tells MPs.
- Troll guilty over MP 'rape' tweets Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:26:50 GMT
- A man is found guilty of bombarding a Labour MP with abusive messages on Twitter after she supported a feminist campaign.
- Glasgow woman 'promoting terrorism' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:34:48 GMT
- It is understood that a young woman from Glasgow has travelled to Syria and has been promoting terrorism back home via her Twitter account.
- Boris Island airport plan 'not dead' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:20:55 GMT
- Mayor of London Boris Johnson says plans for an airport in the Thames Estuary, dubbed "Boris Island", are not dead despite a commission looking into the UK's airport needs rejecting the idea.
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:23:58 GMT
- Winners of the 2014 British Wildlife Photography Awards
- In pictures: India's coal miners Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:34:57 GMT
- Coal miners a work in eastern India
- New Documentary Photography from Scotland & Wales Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:17:12 GMT
- Photographers' images of Scotland and Wales
- Day in pictures: 1 September 2014 Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:49:04 GMT
- News images from around the world: 1 September
- Day in pictures: 29 August 2014 Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:20:50 GMT
- News images from around the world: 29 August
- Richard Attenborough career in pictures Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:36:55 GMT
- British actor and director's illustrious career
- In pictures: India's 'untouchable' scavengers Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:37:59 GMT
- Calls to end India's low-caste manual scavenging
- Day in pictures: 28 August 2014 Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:13:22 GMT
- News images from around the world: 28 August
- Why Paris is forgetting Ernest Hemingway Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:04:29 GMT
- Why Paris is forgetting Ernest Hemingway