"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but how many can get through to you."
—Mortimer Adler (b. 1902) American philosopher, educator, How to Read a Book
- Funerals for Pakistan mosque victims Sat, 31 Jan 2015 14:11:37 GMT
- Funerals take place in Pakistan for the victims of a suicide attack on a Shia mosque during Friday prayers which killed at least 60 people.
- Italy MPs elect judge as president Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:39:56 GMT
- Italy's parliament elects judge Sergio Mattarella as the country's president, on a third day of voting for the largely ceremonial post.
- DNA tests for babies in Mexico blast Sat, 31 Jan 2015 01:08:36 GMT
- Nine babies who survived a gas explosion at a Mexican hospital are given DNA testing so they can be reunited with their parents.
- IS 'chemical weapons expert killed' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 23:50:06 GMT
- A chemical weapons expert working with Islamic State in Iraq has been killed in a coalition air strike, the US military says.
- Romney won't run in 2016 election Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:22:52 GMT
- Mitt Romney, the Republican beaten by President Obama in the US 2012 election, has decided he will not run for president again.
- Actress Geraldine McEwan dies Sat, 31 Jan 2015 21:09:16 GMT
- Actress Geraldine McEwan, known for playing Agatha Christie sleuth Miss Marple on ITV, has died aged 82, her family says.
- Tasers 'needed for all police' Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:08:20 GMT
- All front-line police officers should be offered a Taser to protect them against the increased terrorism threat, the head of the Police Federation says.
- Victim fund tops £160k in three days Sat, 31 Jan 2015 19:19:54 GMT
- Well-wishers donate more than £160,000 in three days to help a disabled pensioner who was mugged outside his Gateshead home.
- Phoenix Nights actor Robbins 'stable' Sat, 31 Jan 2015 23:48:50 GMT
- Phoenix Nights comedian Ted Robbins is in a stable condition in hospital after collapsing on stage during a show at Manchester Arena, the venue says.
- In pictures: Destruction in Kobane Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:23:34 GMT
- Devastation caused by fighting in Syrian town
- Day in pictures: 30 January 2015 Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:20:45 GMT
- Images from around the world: 30 January
- At the pump Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:47:07 GMT
- Petrol stations around the world
- In pictures: UK snow 29 January 2015 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:04:39 GMT
- Pictures from around the country
- Your pictures: City skylines Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:50:51 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "city skylines"
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January