"Many a man wishes he were strong enough to tear a telephone book in half-especially if he has a teenage daughter."
—Guy Albert Lombardo (1902-77) Canadian-born American bandleader
- Harrington beats rookie in play-off Mon, 02 Mar 2015 17:13:19 GMT
- Padraig Harrington thinks he has rediscovered his "mental edge" after ending wait for a title in either the US or Europe.
- The truth about the Sound of Music family Sun, 01 Mar 2015 00:04:03 GMT
- The Sound of Music was released 50 years ago - but what did the real von Trapp family portrayed in the move think of it?
- Why Iceland banned beer Sun, 01 Mar 2015 00:02:38 GMT
- A century ago, Iceland introduced full prohibition. Within a decade, red wine had been legalised, followed by spirits in the 1930s. But beer remained off-limits until 1989. Why?
- Finnish punk band set for Eurovision Sun, 01 Mar 2015 14:46:24 GMT
- A punk band made up of musicians with learning disabilities is chosen to represent Finland at the Eurovision Song Contest.
- Iceland paper published back to front Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:20:19 GMT
- An Icelandic newspaper publishes an issue back to front in honour of its audience's traditional reading habits.
- Libya names Haftar as army chief Mon, 02 Mar 2015 18:15:06 GMT
- Libya's internationally recognised government in Tobruk names former controversial anti-Islamist Khalifa Haftar as the new head of the national army.
- Police surround Myanmar students Mon, 02 Mar 2015 16:09:06 GMT
- Riot police in Myanmar surround a monastery in which some 300 students taking part in a protest march are camping en route to Yangon.
- EU 'mediating' Greece bailout row Mon, 02 Mar 2015 19:24:02 GMT
- The European Commission says it is trying to maintain EU unity after Greece accused Spain and Portugal of conspiring against it in bailout talks.
- Argentine leader hails lower debt Sun, 01 Mar 2015 22:44:41 GMT
- Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner defends her economic policy in her last speech to Congress before she steps down in December.
- Al-Qaeda in Yemen frees Saudi envoy Mon, 02 Mar 2015 12:56:22 GMT
- A Saudi diplomat held hostage in Yemen for almost three years by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has been released, officials say.
- US police shoot homeless man dead Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:55:55 GMT
- A video captures the moment three US police officers shoot dead a homeless man during a scuffle in the Skid Row area of central Los Angeles.
- Murder arrests in Becky Watts probe Mon, 02 Mar 2015 19:05:46 GMT
- Police arrest a man and woman on suspicion of murder in the investigation into the disappearance of teenager Becky Watts.
- England footballer in sex arrest Mon, 02 Mar 2015 19:58:34 GMT
- England and Sunderland footballer Adam Johnson is arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl.
- Tories promise 200,000 starter homes Mon, 02 Mar 2015 17:48:17 GMT
- Some 200,000 "starter homes" will be built for first-time buyers in England by 2020 if the Tories win May's general election, David Cameron says.
- Ten charged over child abuse claims Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:23:17 GMT
- Ten men are charged by police investigating child sexual exploitation in Rochdale, Greater Manchester.