"A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it."
—Edward P. Morgan
- Ex-finance boss warns of Russia crisis Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:41:21 GMT
- Russia's former finance minister has warned the country is entering a "full blown economic crisis" and will enter recession next year.
- South Korea cuts growth forecasts Mon, 22 Dec 2014 03:11:50 GMT
- Asia's fourth largest economy, South Korea, cuts its growth forecast for this year and next as consumer and business sentiment weakens.
- Jail over Silk Road bitcoin deals Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:53:10 GMT
- Bitcoin trader Charlie Shrem has been sentenced to two years in jail for indirectly helping people swap cash for bitcoins on the Silk Road marketplace.
- Hack causes 'damage' at steel works Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:01:52 GMT
- A blast furnace at a German steel mill suffered "massive damage" following a cyber attack on the plant's network, says a report.
- Actress Billie Whitelaw dies aged 82 Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:10:27 GMT
- Acclaimed actress Billie Whitelaw, who starred on stage and screen and worked in close collaboration with Samuel Beckett, dies in London.
- The Miniaturist voted book of the year Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:15:25 GMT
- Jessie Burton's debut novel The Miniaturist comes top of a public vote to be named Specsavers Book of the Year.
- Big cat trade from Burma to China up Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:45:16 GMT
- A new study suggests that the trade in parts of tigers and other wild cats from Myanmar into China is growing.
- Antarctic science archive unlocked Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:19:32 GMT
- Aerial photographs from the 1940s and 1950s are being used to probe the climate history of the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Asthma inhalers 'not used properly' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:00:55 GMT
- Charities warn patients are not being taught how to use potentially life-saving asthma inhalers and allergy auto-injectors correctly.
- Stem cell scandal scientist resigns Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:27:15 GMT
- A Japanese stem cell scientist at the heart of a scandal over false claims and fabricated research has resigned.
- Skrtel posts picture of head injury Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:58:37 GMT
- Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel says he needed seven staples for a head injury suffered in Sunday's draw with Arsenal.
- Malinga injury recovery going well Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:06:18 GMT
- Sri Lanka bowler Lasith Malinga to return for the latter stages of the one-day international series against New Zealand.
- How 12 days of Christmas have become 12 pubs Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:19:56 GMT
- Dublin's pubs are experiencing a new phenomenon - the 12 days of Christmas have turned into the 12 pubs of Christmas... visited all in one night.
- Teaching winter to new US refugees Sat, 20 Dec 2014 01:07:55 GMT
- Thousands of refugees arrive in the US each year, and those who end up in chilly Minnesota have to learn about what to expect for their first winter.
- Japan's 'solo' weddings Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:39:44 GMT
- A travel agency in Japan has started organising bridal ceremonies for single women.