"If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's Okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite."
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Plain packs 'no illegal smoking link' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:15:39 GMT
- A study of smokers in Australia suggests there is "no evidence" that the introduction of standardised cigarette packaging has changed the way people buy cigarettes.
- Man Utd agree to sign Falcao on loan Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:14:33 GMT
- Manchester United agree to sign Colombia international striker Radamel Falcao on loan from Ligue 1 side Monaco.
- Murray beats Tsonga to reach quarters Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:24:21 GMT
- Britain's Andy Murray beats Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5 7-5 6-4 to book a US Open quarter-final against Novak Djokovic.
- Why Orwell was a literary mediocrity Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:40:17 GMT
- George Orwell was a literary mediocrity and his views on the importance of plain writing are plain wrong, argues writer Will Self.
- Why I stopped wearing the headscarf Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:36:59 GMT
- A woman's headscarf is a garment which is heavy in symbolism in Islamic countries but recently I decided to take mine off. I am still Muslim - just not so visibly.
- Lesotho military action ruled out Mon, 01 Sep 2014 17:00:15 GMT
- Southern African leaders reject calls by Lesotho's exiled prime minister for the immediate deployment of troops to his country, an official tells the BBC.
- Fresh clashes in Pakistan capital Mon, 01 Sep 2014 18:47:28 GMT
- Clashes between security forces and protesters continue in Pakistan's capital Islamabad, after the national TV channel's HQ was briefly stormed.
- Nato plans rapid response force Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:28:51 GMT
- Nato is to approve a rapid response force at a summit in Wales this week to deter any Russian threat to Eastern European members, the alliance's chief says.
- Mexico probes mass fish death in lake Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:40:48 GMT
- Tonnes of dead fish have been washed up on the shores of Cajititlan lake in the Mexican state of Jalisco amid a row over the cause of the mortality.
- Libya militias 'seize ministries' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:06:17 GMT
- Libya's militias capture most government ministries in the capital, Tripoli, the government says, as the prime minister is reappointed.
- Obama renews minimum wage push Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:28:14 GMT
- President Barack Obama says he will continue to press Congress to raise the federal minimum wage in line with recent economic improvements.
- Ashya parents fight extradition Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:21:05 GMT
- The parents of Ashya King are held in police custody after refusing to consent to their extradition to the UK at an appearance at the High Court in Spain.
- Infants' school meals free from today Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:04:07 GMT
- Pupils up to the age of seven in England will be entitled to a free hot school lunch from today, as most schools re-open for the new term.
- British Ebola patient 'pretty well' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 16:41:03 GMT
- The parents of the first British person to contract Ebola during the outbreak in West Africa say he is recovering well.