"No man can be called friendless when he has God and the companionship of good books."
—Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-61) British poet
- Mystery of bizarre mounds solved Mon, 09 Dec 2013 05:40:32 GMT
- The mystery of one of the strangest landscape features on the planet - Mima mounds - is solved, scientists say.
- Nelson Mandela: Aids campaigner Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:35:57 GMT
- Though at first muted in his approach to HIV/Aids, Nelson Mandela became a dedicated advocate for a more vigorous approach to the disease.
- Saudi human genome project launched Mon, 09 Dec 2013 01:33:05 GMT
- Up to 100,000 people in Saudi Arabia are to have their genetic codes mapped by 2017.
- England facing annihilation - Boycott Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:23:22 GMT
- England lack the "desire and heart" to compete with Australia in the Ashes, says former batsman Geoffrey Boycott.
- F1 to double points for final race Mon, 09 Dec 2013 19:47:12 GMT
- F1 will award double points at the final race from 2014 and introduce a cost cap from 2015 among a number of changes.
- The 33-year airport serenade Sun, 08 Dec 2013 00:24:05 GMT
- Jake Numanga has welcomed travellers to the Cook Islands for 33 years.
- Mandela death: How a prisoner became a legend Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:11:42 GMT
- As the imprisoned Nelson Mandela became the face of a global campaign against apartheid, within South Africa a ban on his image meant people still didn't know what he looked like.
- Thousands mourn Congo rumba star Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:44:16 GMT
- Thousands of people in the Democratic Republic of Congo attend the state funeral of rumba star Tabu Ley Rochereau in the capital, Kinshasa.
- Singapore riot: PM urges restraint Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:43:20 GMT
- Singapore leader Lee Hsien Loong urges the public not to "tarnish" their view of migrants after a rare riot sparked by the death of an Indian national.
- Russian news agency closed down Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:49:50 GMT
- President Vladimir Putin abolishes the country's state-owned news agency RIA Novosti in a surprise decree.
- Brazil football season's violent end Mon, 09 Dec 2013 02:34:51 GMT
- Three people are injured in a brawl at a football match in southern Brazil in a violent end to Brazil's football league season.
- Iraq cafe car bomb kills many Mon, 09 Dec 2013 15:12:38 GMT
- A car bomb near a cafe in central Iraq kills at least 11, officials say, while eight more people die in unrelated attacks in and around Baghdad.
- US citizen home after N Korea ordeal Sat, 07 Dec 2013 19:16:10 GMT
- US citizen Merrill Newman arrives in San Francisco after being released by North Korea after more than a month in detention there.
- Clutha: No mechanical fault found Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:44:04 GMT
- Investigators find no evidence of "major" engine or gearbox failure in the police helicopter which crashed into a busy pub in Glasgow, killing nine people.
- Sex exploitation inquiry announced Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:15:14 GMT
- An inquiry into sexual exploitation is to be held to assess improvements in protecting children since nine men were jailed for running an abuse ring in Rochdale.