"Nothing more rapidly inclines a person to go into a monastery than reading a book on etiquette. There are so many trivial ways in which it is possible to commit some social sin."
—Quentin Crisp (b. 1908) British author
- Ukraine raises interest rates to 30% Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:08:36 GMT
- Ukraine's central bank sharply raises interest rates from 19.5% to 30% in an effort to curb inflation and prop up its beleaguered currency.
- Plane battery ban over safety concern Tue, 03 Mar 2015 13:13:44 GMT
- United Airlines has announced that it will no longer carry bulk shipments of lithium-ion batteries as new tests reveal they could cause fires.
- Ford launches e-bikes at mobile show Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:54:21 GMT
- Ford has been showing off two e-bikes at Mobile World Congress as manufacturers start to look beyond the car.
- Disgraced Rolf Harris stripped of CBE Tue, 03 Mar 2015 18:55:39 GMT
- Disgraced former entertainer Rolf Harris has been stripped of his CBE, according to an official announcement in the London Gazette.
- Conductor Simon Rattle to join LSO Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:06:43 GMT
- Sir Simon Rattle, one of the world's leading conductors, is to take over as music director at the London Symphony Orchestra from September 2017.
- Scientists produce TB-resistant cows Tue, 03 Mar 2015 11:00:37 GMT
- Researchers in China produce a herd of genetically engineered cows that are better able to ward off bovine TB.
- Ministers issue spaceport shortlist Tue, 03 Mar 2015 11:35:17 GMT
- Six aerodromes remain on the list to become the UK's first commercial spaceport.
- Coffee linked to 'cleaner' arteries Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:08:56 GMT
- Drinking a few cups of coffee a day may help people avoid clogged arteries - a known risk factor for heart disease - South Korean researchers believe.
- Pakistan anti-vaccine parents held Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:03:22 GMT
- Hundreds of parents are arrested in north-west Pakistan for refusing to allow their children to be vaccinated against polio.
- Alonso to miss Australian Grand Prix Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:51:47 GMT
- McLaren driver Fernando Alonso will miss the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on 15 March on medical advice.
- Zimbabwe game 'now big' for Ireland Tue, 03 Mar 2015 13:34:48 GMT
- Ireland's William Porterfield says Saturday's game with Zimbabwe is key after the World Cup hammering by South Africa.
- The dogged old man of the badlands Mon, 02 Mar 2015 00:05:28 GMT
- Chris Haslam meets a man determined to see his remarkable life in the mountains as quite mundane.
- Are humans getting cleverer? Mon, 02 Mar 2015 00:03:55 GMT
- What is behind the so-called Flynn Effect - the pattern of rising IQ scores around the world?
- Iceland paper published back to front Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:20:19 GMT
- An Icelandic newspaper publishes an issue back to front in honour of its audience's traditional reading habits.
- Moles dig for history in Denmark Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:04:10 GMT
- Moles are being used by a museum in Denmark to help gather information at an archaeological site.