"'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations?'"
—Lewis Carroll (1832-98) [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] British mathematician, writer
- Facebook opens Internet.org amid row Mon, 04 May 2015 10:48:35 GMT
- Facebook is to allow more organisations to join its free mobile data scheme, but net neutrality campaigners remain opposed.
- Astronauts watch Star Wars in space Mon, 04 May 2015 15:18:06 GMT
- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station celebrate Star Wars Day with a movie pick that may surprise some fans.
- Author Ruth Rendell dies aged 85 Sat, 02 May 2015 15:18:51 GMT
- Best-selling crime writer Ruth Rendell has died aged 85, her publisher says.
- Russia ballet great Plisetskaya dies Sat, 02 May 2015 21:16:17 GMT
- Russian ballet legend Maya Plisetskaya - who captivated audiences around the world - has died in Germany, aged 89, the director of the Bolshoi Theatre says.
- Climate drives new era in Arctic sea Mon, 04 May 2015 07:48:58 GMT
- Changes in the Arctic Ocean are so profound that the region is entering what amounts to "a new era", according to Norwegian scientists.
- Wildlife drop 'may empty landscape' Fri, 01 May 2015 23:01:52 GMT
- About 60% of the world's largest herbivores are at risk of extinction, according to research by an international team.
- Blood test 'boost' on ovarian cancer Tue, 05 May 2015 01:27:34 GMT
- Regular blood tests can detect 86% of ovarian cancers before the point at which normally women would be diagnosed, according to a 14-year trial.
- US says 'No' to modifying embryo DNA Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:19:14 GMT
- Modifying the DNA of embryos is a "line that should not be crossed" and poses serious safety and ethical issues, a leading figure in US research says.
- Bingham wins World title in thriller Mon, 04 May 2015 22:01:35 GMT
- Stuart Bingham beats Shaun Murphy 18-15 in a gripping final to win his first World Championship at the Crucible in Sheffield.
- Hull City 1-3 Arsenal Mon, 04 May 2015 21:05:44 GMT
- Two goals from Alexis Sanchez help Arsenal to a comfortable and impressive victory against relegation-threatened Hull City.
- The man who cut out his own appendix Mon, 04 May 2015 23:41:50 GMT
- Russian surgeon, Leonid Rogozov, got appendicitis while on an Antarctic mission - he had to operate on himself.
- Canadian mother fights radicalisation Mon, 04 May 2015 23:35:19 GMT
- How do young people 6,000 miles away from Syria get sucked into its conflict - and how do you stop it happening?
- Damascus reopens popular train route Fri, 01 May 2015 21:42:19 GMT
- A popular narrow-gauge train service is relaunched in Damascus - in a reminder of better days in the war-torn Syrian capital.
- Iceland offers 'human search engine' Fri, 01 May 2015 15:03:02 GMT
- Iceland launches a "human search engine" staffed by seven people called Gudmundur.
- Deadly protests against Burundi leader Mon, 04 May 2015 16:22:10 GMT
- Three protesters are killed in renewed demonstrations in Burundi against President Pierre Nkurunziza's re-election bid, the Red Cross says.