"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Come clean on ads, vloggers told Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:28:02 GMT
- Video bloggers are being told they need to be completely clear about when they are being paid to promote products.
- Facebook hosted Rigby murder chat Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:43:57 GMT
- Facebook hosted a conversation by one of Fusilier Lee Rigby's killers in which he said he wanted to kill a soldier, five months before the attack, the BBC learns.
- Birdman set to soar at Spirit Awards Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:45:04 GMT
- Showbusiness satire Birdman leads the flock at this year's Spirit Awards after being nominated for six prizes, including best film.
- AC/DC drummer appears in court in NZ Wed, 26 Nov 2014 02:53:34 GMT
- The Australian drummer of rock group AC/DC briefly appears in court in New Zealand, arriving late, to face a charge of threatening to kill.
- UK team's data bonanza from comet Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:46:50 GMT
- UK researchers obtain "rich" data from the Philae lander just before its power died.
- Gravity map traces ocean circulation Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:37:30 GMT
- Scientists use gravity data to produce what they say is the most accurate space view yet of global ocean currents and the speed at which they move.
- Ebola 'stable' in Guinea - WHO Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is now "stable" in Guinea, the country where the latest crisis began, the World Health Organization says.
- Brain's dementia weak spot found Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:06:07 GMT
- The brain has a weak spot for Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia, according to experts who have pinpointed the region using scans.
- Boks make five changes for Wales Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:50:28 GMT
- South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer has made five changes to his starting XV to face Wales at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.
- 'Weak Mignolet has been exposed' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:52:23 GMT
- Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar says Simon Mignolet's " is the main reason the Reds are struggling this season.
- The mysterious disappearance of a celebrity preacher Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:19:57 GMT
- Aimee Semple McPherson was one of the most glamorous women in the US in the 1920s - but there is still one unexplained mystery in the evangelist's life.
- The battle for control of the cigarette packet Mon, 24 Nov 2014 00:15:37 GMT
- As cigarette packet health warnings grow ever bigger and gorier, tobacco companies have been finding other ways to give their products a distinctive look and feel.
- Passengers 'push frozen plane' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:32:11 GMT
- People on board a flight in Russia get out and push the aircraft after its braking system freezes.
- Three years to study Kim Jong-un Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:00:13 GMT
- Secondary school students in North Korea will now have to complete an 81-hour course on the country's leader.
- Sudan 'wants UN rights office shut' Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:39:01 GMT
- Sudan's government has asked the UN-Africa Union force in Darfur (Unamid) to shut its human rights office, the joint peacekeeping mission says.