"Wisdom is perishable. Unlike information or knowledge, it cannot be stored in a computer or recorded in a book. It expires with each passing generation."
- Porn filter shunned by UK net users Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:30:42 GMT
- The vast majority of new broadband customers are declining to sign up to "child friendly" filters when prompted to do so by UK service providers.
- BBC trials high-frame-rate TV Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:41:02 GMT
- The BBC is experimenting with new ways to deliver TV coverage of live events, with a series of trials at the Commonwealth Games.
- Adele wins damages over photos of son Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:12:45 GMT
- Lawyers representing Adele's two-year old son, Angelo Adkins, accept a five-figure sum in damages to settle a privacy case over paparazzi photos marking his "milestone moments".
- Billy Joel to receive Gershwin prize Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:25:57 GMT
- Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Billy Joel is to receive the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, the US Library of Congress announces.
- EU sets 30% energy savings target Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:52:08 GMT
- Members of the European Union will have to boost their energy efficiency by 30% by 2030 according to Commission.
- Bats 'fly by polarised light' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:43:17 GMT
- Zoologists find that bats use the pattern of polarised light in the sky at sunset to help them navigate.
- Three person IVF plans 'progress' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:35:39 GMT
- A public review into the three person IVF technique has been broadly supportive, says the Department of Health.
- Human body parts dumped in Tanzania Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:09:27 GMT
- Eight people from a Tanzanian medical institute are arrested after 85 bags containing human body parts are found in the city of Dar es Salaam.
- Glasgow Games to be 'biggest and best' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:00:34 GMT
- Athletes from 71 nations will compete in the Commonwealth Games, which get under way with the opening ceremony on Wednesday.
- Barca sign £15.8m defender Mathieu Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:25:06 GMT
- Barcelona sign 30-year-old Valencia defender Jeremy Mathieu on a four-year deal for a fee of £15.8m.
- The 90-year-old sex guru Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:07:45 GMT
- Never mind the Kama Sutra, here is Dr Mahinder Watsa, India's foremost champion of sex education and an agony uncle with a cult following.
- The children left behind in hot cars Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:23:36 GMT
- Every few days in the US, there are reports of young children dying from heatstroke after being left in parked cars. Why so often?
- Nigeria bomb attack 'leaves 25 dead' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:39:00 GMT
- A bomb blast targeting a moderate Islamic cleric has killed at least 25 people in the northern Nigerian city of Kaduna, police say.
- S Korea ferry boss 'hid in closet' Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:49:25 GMT
- The fugitive South Korean tycoon wanted in connection with the Sewol ferry disaster hid in a closet to evade arrest during a police raid, prosecutors say.
- Airline route assessments criticised Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:50:08 GMT
- Safety assessments for risky air routes are "not good enough", the British Airline Pilots Association says.