"A Book of Verses undeneath the Bough, A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread - and Thou Beside me singing in the Wilderness- Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"
—Omar Khayyám (1050?-1123) Persian poet, mathematician, astronomer
- Lenovo victim of cyber-attack Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:17:54 GMT
- Chinese computer maker Lenovo becomes the victim of a cyber-attack following a warning by the US government about software called Superfish.
- Samsung hit by latest smart TV issue Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:32:46 GMT
- Many of the firm's smart TVs were unable to connect to servers for two days after a problem emerged as the firm carried out a security update.
- Hockney art inspired by fly-tipping Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:46:51 GMT
- David Hockney releases artwork showing the landscape that inspired him after it was blighted by fly-tipping.
- Madonna falls off stage at Brits Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:29:35 GMT
- US pop star Madonna fell off the stage during her performance at the 2015 Brit Awards on a night that saw Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran each win two prizes.
- Killer frog disease hits Madagascar Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:21:22 GMT
- A devastating disease that has wiped out amphibians around the world has been discovered in Madagascar, scientists report.
- 'Concern' over bugs in shop chicken Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:49:05 GMT
- Concerns are growing about antibiotic resistance of bacteria carried by poultry, according to a new report.
- 'Give HIV drugs to healthy gay men' Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:12:20 GMT
- Healthy gay men should be offered daily HIV drugs to prevent infections, say campaigners.
- India urges calm on deadly swine flu Wed, 25 Feb 2015 21:47:00 GMT
- The Indian health minister urges the public not to panic as the number of deaths so far this year from swine flu passes 900 from 16,000 cases.
- Besiktas 1-0 Liverpool (agg 1-1, pens 5-4) Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:09:14 GMT
- Liverpool are knocked out of the Europa League on penalties by Besiktas in Turkey after their last-32 tie ended 1-1 on aggregate.
- Crowd trouble halts Feyenoord game Thu, 26 Feb 2015 23:39:37 GMT
- Feyenoord's Europa League game against visitors Roma is suspended after crowd trouble from some home fans.
- Campaignspotting: BBC's 2016 blog Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:50:44 GMT
- It may be almost a year before voting begins, but the race for the US presidency is already heating up.
- The return of a once-glorious train station Thu, 26 Feb 2015 01:01:14 GMT
- Abandoned since 1988, Michigan Central Station is Motor City's biggest eyesore, but plans to install new windows are giving people hope that it may one day return to greatness.
- Dutch town terrorised by rogue owl Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:36:41 GMT
- Residents of the Dutch town of Purmerend are advised to take umbrellas out at night after a rogue owl leaves man requiring stitches to head wounds.
- Balloons mistaken for IS propaganda Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:31:57 GMT
- Police in Sweden ask for 21st birthday balloons to be taken down after they are mistaken for Islamic State propaganda.
- Deadly bombs at Nigeria bus stations Thu, 26 Feb 2015 19:58:32 GMT
- Suicide bomb attacks kill at least 32 people in northern Nigeria, as the wave of violence from Boko Haram continues.