"...A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."
—John Milton (1608-74) English poet, scholar, Paradise Lost
- Row erupts over removed Banksy work Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:36:31 GMT
- A row breaks out over the ownership of a work of art by "guerrilla artist" Banksy after it was taken from a Bristol street.
- EU Sentinel returns first images Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:23:05 GMT
- The first images come back from the radar satellite launched as part of the European Union's new flagship Earth-observation project.
- Early air points to cold, dry Mars Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:23:21 GMT
- Scientists have worked out the characteristics of the air on Mars 3.6 billion years ago.
- Sensors to prevent pain for amputees Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:41:59 GMT
- Researchers have developed a new type of pressure sensor - dubbed a "second skin" - which they say could prevent dangerous sores.
- Glaxo 'paid Polish doctors bribes' Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:04:46 GMT
- UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama discovers.
- Man City players 'best paid in sport' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:57:59 GMT
- Premier League players at Manchester City are the best paid in global sport, according to a new study.
- A 13-year-old eagle huntress in Mongolia Mon, 14 Apr 2014 21:12:29 GMT
- A photographer recently snapped perhaps the only girl in the world learning to hunt with a golden eagle.
- How to move a T-Rex dinosaur Tue, 15 Apr 2014 11:16:49 GMT
- One of the most complete tyrannosaurus skeletons ever found is being moved from Montana to Washington DC. There, hundreds of millions of people will eventually be able to view it.
- South Sudan rebels 'seize' oil hub Tue, 15 Apr 2014 12:56:24 GMT
- Rebel forces in South Sudan say they have recaptured the oil hub of Bentiu and want oil companies to halt operations.
- Hair salon visited over N Korea ad Tue, 15 Apr 2014 18:21:02 GMT
- North Korean officials visit a west London hair salon to question why it had used their leader Kim Jong-un's image in a poster.
- Credit Suisse rebuffs forex probe Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:51:32 GMT
- Swiss bank Credit Suisse has found nothing "materially untoward" in how it trades foreign currencies, finance officer David Mathers has said.
- Venezuela rejects protest amnesty Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:17:59 GMT
- The Venezuelan government says it will not grant jailed opposition leaders an amnesty at talks aimed at ending anti-government protests.
- Syria 'torture' photos shown to UN Tue, 15 Apr 2014 22:48:02 GMT
- Members of the UN Security Council view graphic photographs of prisoners allegedly tortured by Syrian government forces.
- Bloomberg in $50m push for gun laws Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:39:26 GMT
- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announces a $50m (£30m) election year push for stricter gun laws across the US.
- Tesco announces 6% fall in profit Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:30:28 GMT
- UK supermarket giant Tesco announces a 6% fall in annual group trading profit to £3.3bn, the second year that profits have fallen.