"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Lords want drone owners register Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:02:20 GMT
- The House of Lords EU Committee calls for a drone register to be set up which owners of unmanned aircraft would have to join.
- China and US clash over backdoors Wed, 04 Mar 2015 13:22:06 GMT
- China rejects President Obama's criticism of its attempt to make companies put backdoors in their software and share their encryption keys.
- Australia announces Eurovision singer Thu, 05 Mar 2015 08:20:51 GMT
- Former Australian Idol winner and X Factor judge Guy Sebastian will be Australia's first ever entrant in the Eurovision Song Contest.
- India media: Rape film ban Thu, 05 Mar 2015 07:11:44 GMT
- Most prominent papers back the BBC's film on Delhi gang rape, but others see it as "anti-women".
- African synchrotron bid gathers pace Thu, 05 Mar 2015 03:44:52 GMT
- The effort to build a synchrotron - a large accelerator that generates X-rays for research - in Africa is gaining momentum, a US conference hears.
- 'First human' discovered in Ethiopia Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:01:40 GMT
- Scientists working in Ethiopia have uncovered a jawbone fossil which may push the origin of humans back 400,000 years.
- Billions 'have untreated tooth decay' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:48:46 GMT
- Billions of people have untreated tooth decay across the globe, an international study has found.
- Adults get flu 'every five years' Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:42:53 GMT
- Adults catch real flu about once every five years, while children get it every other year, scientists calculate, based on a field study in China.
- Poyet charged with improper conduct Thu, 05 Mar 2015 10:25:11 GMT
- Sunderland manager Gus Poyet is charged by the FA with improper conduct following the match against Hull City on Tuesday.
- Rodriguez returns in training game Thu, 05 Mar 2015 09:33:24 GMT
- New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez begins his comeback from a 162-game doping ban in a spring training contest.
- Striking gold with a hoard of lost property Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:23:45 GMT
- Welcome to the Zurich store where much of Switzerland's lost property ends up for sale.
- Viewpoint: Why I loved Nemtsov Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:23:57 GMT
- Historian Georgy Mirsky on Russia's "culture of intolerance, bitterness, national arrogance, and malicious smears" and its part in the murder of Boris Nemtsov.
- Erdogan fined for statue insult Wed, 04 Mar 2015 11:25:52 GMT
- Turkey's president is fined for making disparaging remarks about a statue in 2011.
- Moles dig for history in Denmark Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:04:10 GMT
- Moles are being used by a museum in Denmark to help gather information at an archaeological site.
- Evans and Cisse face bans if guilty Thu, 05 Mar 2015 09:56:30 GMT
- New FA guidelines indicate Jonny Evans and Papiss Cisse face six-match bans if found guilty of spitting.