"...A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."
—John Milton (1608-74) English poet, scholar, Paradise Lost
- Eurozone inflation rate falls to 0.3% Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:56:33 GMT
- The eurozone inflation rate falls to 0.3%, suggesting that deflation remains a threat for the 18-nation bloc.
- Airport raids tackle cyberthieves Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:54:48 GMT
- Cyberthieves who used stolen credit cards to buy airline tickets are targeted in raids at 80 airports.
- Social media told to simplify terms Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:04:27 GMT
- A report from the UK parliament says Facebook, Twitter and other social networking firms need to make their terms and conditions clearer.
- Kahlo's home recreated in New York Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:42:16 GMT
- Mexican artist Frida Kahlo's native garden and studio is to be recreated at the New York Botanical Garden next year.
- Star Wars trailer set to be unveiled Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:44:17 GMT
- The first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set to be unveiled later.
- Graphene promise for body armour Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:44:09 GMT
- The "wonder material" graphene could be used to make bulletproof armour, new research suggests.
- Risk from extreme weather rises Thu, 27 Nov 2014 01:42:30 GMT
- Royal Society says combination of population growth and climate change will increase danger to cities.
- Hollande to visit Ebola-hit Guinea Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:50:38 GMT
- French President Francois Hollande is to arrive in Guinea, the first Western leader to visit a nation hit hard by the deadly Ebola virus.
- 'Exciting' bladder cancer drug trial Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:25:43 GMT
- A trial to help the immune system fight bladder cancer is showing "exciting" results with tumours completely disappearing in some patients.
- Abbott 'holding up' after Hughes death Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:53:28 GMT
- Bowler Sean Abbott is 'holding up well' after batsman Phillip Hughes's death, despite fears he may not play cricket again.
- 'Weeping' Australia mourns Hughes Fri, 28 Nov 2014 03:35:31 GMT
- Australia is "weeping" at the death of cricketer Phillip Hughes, says former opening batsman Michael Slater - as the country mourns.
- How I drank urine and bat blood to survive Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:04:25 GMT
- Extreme marathon runner Mauro Prosperi spent 10 days alone in the Sahara desert after getting lost in a sandstorm. He only just survived.
- Left to the mercy of the Taliban Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:10:39 GMT
- Interpreters who worked with US forces in Afghanistan are being hunted down by the Taliban. Thousands have fled to the US - but others have been blacklisted.
- Extinct giant penguin found in shed Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:03:45 GMT
- A bird that would have towered above today's largest species is rediscovered thanks to 3D printing.
- Azeris angry over Euro Games mascots Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:23:02 GMT
- The 2015 European Games mascots will be a pomegranate and a gazelle, but sports fans are unimpressed.