"I do not believe that civilization will be wiped out in a war fought with the atomic bomb. Perhaps two-thirds of the people of the Earth might be killed, but enough men capable of thinking, and enough books, would be left to start again, and civilization could be restored."
—Albert Einstein (1875-1955) German-born American theoretical physicist, theories of relativity, philosopher
- Nelson Mandela: Aids campaigner Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:35:57 GMT
- Though at first muted in his approach to HIV/Aids, Nelson Mandela became a dedicated advocate for a more vigorous approach to the disease.
- Saudi human genome project launched Mon, 09 Dec 2013 01:33:05 GMT
- Up to 100,000 people in Saudi Arabia are to have their genetic codes mapped by 2017.
- Ronaldo, Ribery & Messi on shortlist Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:08:16 GMT
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Franck Ribery and Lionel Messi are named on the final shortlist for the 2013 Ballon d'Or.
- England facing annihilation - Boycott Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:23:22 GMT
- England lack the "desire and heart" to compete with Australia in the Ashes, says former batsman Geoffrey Boycott.
- The 33-year airport serenade Sun, 08 Dec 2013 00:24:05 GMT
- Jake Numanga has welcomed travellers to the Cook Islands for 33 years.
- Mandela death: How a prisoner became a legend Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:11:42 GMT
- As the imprisoned Nelson Mandela became the face of a global campaign against apartheid, within South Africa a ban on his image meant people still didn't know what he looked like.
- France begins to disarm CAR militias Mon, 09 Dec 2013 12:33:10 GMT
- French soldiers start taking weapons from fighters in the Central African Republic - and briefly trade fire with armed men unwilling to disarm.
- Philippine power-sharing deal hailed Mon, 09 Dec 2013 08:17:51 GMT
- Philippine President Benigno Aquino hails a power-sharing deal with key Muslim rebels but warns "contentious" issues still need to be resolved.
- Italy's Renzi wins landslide on left Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:19:12 GMT
- Matteo Renzi resoundingly wins the leadership of Italy's centre-left Democratic Party, making him a leading candidate to be the next prime minister.
- Brazil football season's violent end Mon, 09 Dec 2013 02:34:51 GMT
- Three people are injured in a brawl at a football match in southern Brazil in a violent end to Brazil's football league season.
- Kuwaitis cleared of parliament raid Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:17:31 GMT
- Seventy opposition activists, including nine former MPs, are acquitted of storming the parliament building in the Gulf state of Kuwait two years ago.
- US citizen home after N Korea ordeal Sat, 07 Dec 2013 19:16:10 GMT
- US citizen Merrill Newman arrives in San Francisco after being released by North Korea after more than a month in detention there.
- Three die in 'suspicious' house fire Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:36:41 GMT
- A house fire which killed three people in Bolton is being treated as "suspicious" by police.
- Ambulances 'face long delays at A&E' Mon, 09 Dec 2013 08:14:54 GMT
- Some patients are facing long waits in ambulances outside A&E departments, with one case involving a delay of more than six hours, figures show.
- Funerals for Clutha crash victims Mon, 09 Dec 2013 13:38:13 GMT
- The first funerals take place for Clutha bar customers who died in the Glasgow helicopter crash.