"Nothing more rapidly inclines a person to go into a monastery than reading a book on etiquette. There are so many trivial ways in which it is possible to commit some social sin."
—Quentin Crisp (b. 1908) British author
- BBC refuses to make Top Gear apology Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:27:44 GMT
- The BBC's Head of TV refuses to make a formal apology over a Top Gear special filmed in Argentina, after demands from the country's ambassador to the UK.
- French radio station catches fire Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:08:49 GMT
- A major fire forces the evacuation of the French national radio building in Paris but there are no immediate reports of casualties.
- Rockets 'destroy chemical weapons' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:22:15 GMT
- A team has developed micro-sized rockets, powered by seawater, that can neutralise chemical and biological weapons.
- WW2 technology 'Plan B' for GPS Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:10:37 GMT
- Technology developed during World War Two is to be used as a back-up for GPS in ports across England and Scotland.
- UN chief defends Ebola aid workers Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:31:36 GMT
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon says discrimination against humanitarian workers who return home from the Ebola crisis in West Africa is "unacceptable".
- Google developing a cancer detector Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:35:15 GMT
- Google is attempting to diagnose cancers, heart attack risks and other ailments with a system that combines nanoparticles and a wrist-worn sensor.
- Djokovic ends Murray's winning run Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:34:27 GMT
- Andy Murray's 11-match winning run comes to an end with defeat by Novak Djokovic in the Paris Masters quarter-finals.
- Hamilton top in second US practice Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:13:45 GMT
- Lewis Hamilton narrowly edges Mercedes team-mate and title rival Nico Rosberg to fastest time in second practice at the US Grand Prix.
- The channel that's spiced up French TV Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:06:31 GMT
- For years the French media was set in its ways but a newcomer, BFMTV, has shaken things up - so what's the secret of its success?
- The Leonardo hidden from Hitler in case it gave him magic powers Thu, 30 Oct 2014 00:29:32 GMT
- A self-portrait of Leonardo da Vinci is going on display in Turin - some believe it has mystical powers.
- Deadly blast at Nigeria bus station Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:02:38 GMT
- An explosion at a major bus station in Gombe state in north-eastern Nigeria kills at least four people and injures 32 people, police say.
- Myanmar in rare multi-party talks Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:06:15 GMT
- Myanmar's president holds rare roundtable talks with the opposition, military and ethnic groups, as the US calls for "credible" elections next year.
- Reduced EU sea mission set to go Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:45:51 GMT
- The EU is to launch a limited operation in the Mediterranean to help Italy stem the flow of migrants from North Africa.
- Colombian Farc in civilian admission Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:43:07 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebel group acknowledges for the first time that its actions in Latin America's longest internal conflict "affected civilians".
- Mass graves found in western Iraq Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:29:32 GMT
- Scores of bodies of Sunni Muslim tribesmen apparently killed by Islamic State militants are found in mass graves in western Iraq.