"Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered."
—Wystan Hugh Auden (1907-73) British-born American writer, critic
- Samsung S6 phone has curved screen Sun, 01 Mar 2015 17:31:05 GMT
- Samsung confirms that one version of its new Galaxy S6 flagship smartphone will have a screen that curves round its sides
- Sony and Microsoft focus on price Mon, 02 Mar 2015 08:02:12 GMT
- Sony and Microsoft reveal mid-range smartphones with features previously reserved for their top handsets at Mobile World Congress.
- Will Smith film topples Fifty Shades Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:58:00 GMT
- Will Smith's crime caper Focus debuts at number one on the North American box office chart, knocking Fifty Shades of Grey off the top spot.
- Ageism a disaster, says Scott Thomas Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:07:53 GMT
- A lack of film roles for actresses in their 50s is "a disaster" and the situation is unlikely to change, Dame Kristin Scott Thomas says.
- UK to pioneer lagoon power plants Mon, 02 Mar 2015 03:58:02 GMT
- Plans to generate electricity from the world's first series of tidal lagoons are unveiled in the UK, with sites proposed in Wales, Somerset and Cumbria.
- Signs of spring 'shifting' in trees Mon, 02 Mar 2015 10:54:47 GMT
- Scientists say climate change will lead to a shift in the timing of when trees come into leaf in British woodlands.
- Distinct ME stages found, says study Sat, 28 Feb 2015 02:31:15 GMT
- Scientists say they have found distinct changes in the immune systems of patients with ME or chronic fatigue syndrome, which could lead to better diagnosis and treatment.
- S Leone vice-president in quarantine Sat, 28 Feb 2015 22:53:06 GMT
- The vice-president of Sierra Leone puts himself into quarantine after one of his bodyguards dies from the Ebola virus.
- Mourinho 'feeds' on trophy wins Sun, 01 Mar 2015 20:57:55 GMT
- Manager Jose Mourinho says it is hard to live without titles after leading Chelsea to League Cup success against Tottenham.
- Pietersen to work on England return Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:38:13 GMT
- Kevin Pietersen will try to secure a return to the England side after ECB chairman Colin Graves' comments.
- The truth about the Sound of Music family Sun, 01 Mar 2015 00:04:03 GMT
- The Sound of Music was released 50 years ago - but what did the real von Trapp family portrayed in the move think of it?
- Why Iceland banned beer Sun, 01 Mar 2015 00:02:38 GMT
- A century ago, Iceland introduced full prohibition. Within a decade, red wine had been legalised, followed by spirits in the 1930s. But beer remained off-limits until 1989. Why?
- Hong Kong runners in 'boring' race Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:58:33 GMT
- Runners compete in Hong Kong's first inner-city ultra marathon, despite organisers describing it as "quite boring".
- Dutch town terrorised by rogue owl Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:36:41 GMT
- Residents of the Dutch town of Purmerend are advised to take umbrellas out at night after a rogue owl leaves man requiring stitches to head wounds.
- 'Hundreds' of S Sudan boys seized Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:20:59 GMT
- Hundreds of South Sudanese boys have been kidnapped and forced to become child soldiers, the UN says, blaming a government-allied militia.