"I can tell you, honest friend, what to believe: believe life; it teaches better than book or orator."
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German writer, scientist, master of poetry, drama and novel
- Ulcer pills linked to B12 deficiency Wed, 11 Dec 2013 03:04:37 GMT
- Medication used to treat stomach ulcers may cause vitamin B12 deficiency, a study finds.
- Artificial sweetener 'is safe' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:03:14 GMT
- The artificial sweetener aspartame is safe and poses no threat to health, checks by European food regulators concludes.
- Prior demands England fight, not sulk Wed, 11 Dec 2013 07:44:34 GMT
- Wicketkeeper Matt Prior says England must "come out fighting" and not "sulk" if they are to turn around the Ashes series.
- Pellegrini confusion as Man City win Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:53:34 GMT
- Manuel Pellegrini appears not to realise his Manchester City team were one goal from winning Champions League Group D.
- Will Mandela's funeral be the biggest in history? Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:57:44 GMT
- Few events can have provided quite so much political stardust as the Nelson Mandela memorial service, where 52 presidents paid respects. But is it the biggest funeral?
- Financier taking on Russia’s oligarchy Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:50:28 GMT
- After William Browder’s lawyer died mysteriously in Moscow, he sought justice in a way only a wealthy global financier can.
- French deployment in CAR 'necessary' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 00:25:45 GMT
- President Francois Hollande defends France's military intervention in the Central African Republic, after two French soldiers were killed in Bangui.
- GM to stop making cars in Australia Wed, 11 Dec 2013 06:59:55 GMT
- Holden, a subsidiary of General Motors, says it will stop making cars in Australia by the end of 2017, with almost 2,900 jobs to go.
- Dutch hostages released in Yemen Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:33:33 GMT
- A Dutch couple freed after six months in captivity in Yemen say they were "treated very well" by their kidnappers, a day after being released.
- Uruguay votes to legalise marijuana Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:49:05 GMT
- Uruguay's parliament votes to legalise the cultivation, sale and consumption of marijuana - the first country to do so.
- Syrian refugees hit by Lebanon storm Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:48:15 GMT
- The UN is "extremely concerned" for Syrian refugees in Lebanon as a winter storm brings snow, high winds and freezing temperatures to the country.
- Supervolcano 'even more colossal' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:36:43 GMT
- The supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park in the United States is far larger than was previously thought, scientists report.
- Lloyds bank in record £28m fine Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:43:03 GMT
- Lloyds Banking Group is fined £28m, a record for a UK retail banking operation, for "serious failings" in relation to bonus schemes for sales staff.
- Judges allow Scientology wedding Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:01:13 GMT
- A woman who wants to marry in a Church of Scientology chapel wins her Supreme Court challenge as judges rule the church is a 'place of meeting for religious worship'.
- Fog grounds more than 100 flights Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:47:10 GMT
- Thick fog has led to more than 100 flight cancellations at Heathrow and London City airports, with disruption also at Southampton airport.