"Only those books come down which deserve to last. All the gilt edges, vellum and morocco, all the presentation copies to all the libraries will not preserve a book in circulation beyond its intrinsic date."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- Wales game 'will impact on World Cup' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:58:03 GMT
- England coach Stuart Lancaster says a win over Wales can have a psychological impact on next year's World Cup.
- Russian baddies are back Sat, 08 Mar 2014 01:08:54 GMT
- From the 1930s to present day, Russians have been portrayed as murderous thugs on the big and small screen in the West.
- The restaurants that thrive on insulting their diners Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:32:44 GMT
- A Chinese eatery dubbed "London's rudest" has promised better service. Is insulting your customers ever a good idea?
- ICC convicts Congo militia leader Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:54:06 GMT
- The International Criminal Court finds Congo militia leader Germain Katanga guilty of complicity in war crimes but acquits him of sexual offences.
- Anwar gets jail term for sodomy Fri, 07 Mar 2014 12:35:57 GMT
- A Malaysian court sentences opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to five years in jail after overturning his acquittal on sodomy charges.
- Sochi ready for biggest Paralympics Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:36:13 GMT
- Russia will welcome the sporting world back to Sochi on Friday when the opening ceremony takes place for the Winter Paralympics.
- Venezuela expels Panama diplomats Fri, 07 Mar 2014 05:12:08 GMT
- Venezuela expels Panama's ambassador and three others as President Nicolas Maduro accuses the country of meddling amid ongoing opposition rallies.
- Niger extradites Gaddafi's son Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:30:42 GMT
- The Libyan government says former leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's son, Saadi, has been extradited from Niger and is now in custody in Tripoli.
- 'Drunk' man sues Las Vegas casino Fri, 07 Mar 2014 02:36:41 GMT
- A US businessman who lost $500,000 (£298,000) at a Las Vegas casino argues he should not have to pay - because he was too intoxicated.
- Chief vows to restore trust in Met Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:50:39 GMT
- The head of the Metropolitan Police has vowed to win back public trust after a report found officers spied on the family of murdered teenager Stephen Lawrence.
- Clare's Law introduced against abuse Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:26:50 GMT
- A scheme to let people to find out from police if their partner has a history of domestic violence is introduced across England and Wales.
- Lib Dems to push for income tax cuts Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:49:43 GMT
- Raising the income tax allowance to £12,500 will be a Lib Dem demand in future coalition talks, the party is to say.
- Two charged over death of toddler Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:42:19 GMT
- A man and a woman are charged with causing or allowing the death of a two-year-old girl who ingested the heroin substitute methadone.