"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
—Deciderius Erasmus (1466?-1536) Dutch Renaissance scholar, theologian
- WHO crisis team holds Ebola talks Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:36:32 GMT
- The World Health Organization's emergency committee holds talks on travel restrictions and screening measures on the Ebola outbreak.
- 'Nine million have TB' - WHO report Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:17:01 GMT
- The World Health Organization revises its estimate as to how many people have tuberculosis up by 500,000, in its latest report into the killer disease.
- Ecclestone steps in to Caterham row Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:45:37 GMT
- Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone is hoping to resolve the dispute threatening the future of the Caterham team.
- Balotelli shirt swap angers Rodgers Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:29:29 GMT
- Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is unhappy Mario Balotelli swapped shirts with Real Madrid's Pepe at half-time.
- Remembering Ben Bradlee Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:26:06 GMT
- Today presenter James Naughtie remembers his friend, the legendary Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee who's died aged 93.
- Tales from the India Office Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:04:32 GMT
- Millions of documents recording Britain's 350-year presence in the sub-continent reveal some exotic stories.
- Rwanda MPs condemn BBC genocide film Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:45:12 GMT
- Rwanda's parliament condemns the BBC for broadcasting a TV documentary which questions official accounts of the 1994 genocide in the country.
- India's Modi visits Siachen glacier Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:04:04 GMT
- Indian PM Narendra Modi makes a brief visit to the Siachen glacier on his way to Indian-administered Kashmir to spend the Diwali festival looking at the damage caused by last month's floods.
- Everton fans 'hit with tear gas' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:39:58 GMT
- Everton supporters are reportedly involved in disorder ahead of their Europa League match with Lille.
- Mayor 'ordered attack on students' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:19:31 GMT
- The mayor of the Mexican town of Iguala, where 43 students went missing last month, is wanted for allegedly ordering police to confront them.
- Syria air force 'steps up strikes' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:41:31 GMT
- The Syrian military has stepped up its air strikes on rebel-held areas dramatically, carrying out more than 200 in recent days, activists say.
- Obama 'optimistic' over Ebola in US Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:42:32 GMT
- President Barack Obama expresses cautious optimism about the Ebola situation in the US, as new screening rules are introduced in the country.
- NHS 'needs extra cash and overhaul' Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:30:46 GMT
- The NHS in England needs extra money and drastic changes to the way services are organised if patient care is not to suffer, health bosses say.
- Police killer Roberts to be freed Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:02:58 GMT
- Police killer Harry Roberts is to be released after more than 45 years - a Parole Board decision described as "scandalous".
- Fewer teenagers got five good GCSEs Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:23:07 GMT
- New data shows fewer teenagers got five good GCSEs, including English and maths, this year amid major changes to the exams system.