"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Drug-resistant malaria 'widespread' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:28:46 GMT
- Drug-resistant malaria is spreading in South East Asia, and has now reached the Cambodia-Thailand border, according to a study.
- 'E-cigs less harm than cigarettes' Wed, 30 Jul 2014 23:34:56 GMT
- An analysis of the current evidence available on e-cigarettes suggests they are safer than conventional cigarettes.
- Everton complete Lukaku signing Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:28:11 GMT
- Everton sign Belgian World Cup striker Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea for a club record fee of £28m.
- 'We lost our heads' admits Deila Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:52:40 GMT
- Celtic manager Ronny Deila says his side lost their heads as they lost 4-1 to Legia Warsaw in Champions League qualifying.
- How many men are paedophiles? Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:34:41 GMT
- The Pope was reported to have said that about 2% of Catholic clergy are paedophiles - but how does this compare to society as a whole?
- The pre-nup that can end a happy marriage Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:40:09 GMT
- In parts of Yemen when a brother and sister from one family marry siblings from another, the couples' fates can be locked together regardless of how happy they are.
- 'Dozens of bodies' at Libya base Wed, 30 Jul 2014 17:42:17 GMT
- At least 35 bodies are reportedly recovered from a military base that was overrun by Islamist-led militias in the Libyan city of Benghazi.
- Kiribati claims historic medal Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:23:02 GMT
- Weightlifter David Katoatau earns Kiribati its first ever Games medal with gold in 105kg as Ben Watson wins bronze.
- Nato 'unprepared for Russia threat' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:53:35 GMT
- Nato is poorly prepared for an attack on a member state by Russia, a group of MPs warns in a report.
- US travel ban on Venezuela officials Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:50:03 GMT
- The US imposes travel restrictions on Venezuelan government officials it says are linked to human rights abuses during recent protests.
- France evacuates expats from Libya Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:16:09 GMT
- The French government says it has evacuated French and British nationals from Libya, as battles rage between government forces and militias.
- House votes to sue President Obama Thu, 31 Jul 2014 04:08:25 GMT
- The US House of Representatives has passed a resolution authorising a lawsuit against the president for allegedly exceeding his constitutional powers.
- UK border staff 'not ready' for Ebola Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:23:35 GMT
- Immigration and customs staff feel unprepared to deal with people arriving in the UK with suspected cases of the Ebola virus, a union leader warns.
- Two thirds of pier saved in fire Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:35:52 GMT
- Fire crews save two thirds of Eastbourne Pier after fire destroyed part of the structure, leaving a metal skeleton.
- New Ofsted chair to be announced Thu, 31 Jul 2014 06:57:51 GMT
- Businessman David Hoare is set to be announced by the government as the new chairman of schools regulator Ofsted, the BBC understands.