"There is no reason why the same man should like the same book at 18 and at 48."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- McDonald's boss steps down Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:18:51 GMT
- McDonald's boss Don Thompson steps down after two and a half years in the job, as the company struggles with a declining customer base in its home market.
- Facebook earnings beat expectations Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:40:22 GMT
- The social network reports fourth-quarter profits of $701m, a 34% increase from the same period a year earlier, buoyed by strong mobile advertising sales.
- AI will not kill us, says Microsoft Wed, 28 Jan 2015 14:54:36 GMT
- The chief of Microsoft's research division says he does not believe artificial intelligence systems are going to wipe out humankind.
- Samsung earnings hit by mobile sales Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:04:01 GMT
- South Korean tech giant Samsung Electronics reported its first annual earnings decline in three years.
- Selma star defends Benedict Cumberbatch Wed, 28 Jan 2015 07:17:02 GMT
- David Oyelowo, who plays Martin Luther King in Selma, says it's "ridiculous" to attack Benedict Cumberbatch for using the term "coloured" during an interview.
- Ghostbusters: Female stars confirmed Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:45:47 GMT
- Bridesmaids co-stars Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy are to reunite in the all-female Ghostbusters sequel, its director Paul Feig confirms.
- Astra Zeneca drive for genetic drugs Thu, 29 Jan 2015 07:00:26 GMT
- Astra Zeneca announces a research programme to develop a generation of medicines to treat the genetic causes of many debilitating diseases.
- Scottish fracking block announced Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:57:04 GMT
- The Scottish government announces a block on planned fracking operations, pending the outcome of further inquiries.
- Bank chief warns of pandemic threat Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:42:22 GMT
- The world is "dangerously unprepared" for future pandemics like the deadly Ebola outbreak, the president of the World Bank warns.
- E. coli found in Winnipeg water Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:14:37 GMT
- Residents in the Canadian city of Winnipeg have been instructed to boil their drinking water after testing found E. coli and other bacteria in the water supply.
- Williams to face Sharapova in final Thu, 29 Jan 2015 06:15:18 GMT
- Serena Williams faces Maria Sharapova in the Australian Open final after the pair won their semi-finals in straight sets.
- Mali & Guinea want lots rule changed Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:21:49 GMT
- Managers and players from Mali and Guinea feel the drawing of lots should not be used to decide their Africa Cup of Nations fate.
- The village that just got its first fridge Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:03:18 GMT
- About a quarter of homes in India have a fridge - for the first time a family in one village near Calcutta has installed one in their house.
- The twins of Auschwitz Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:04:40 GMT
- On the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp, survivors of experiments on twins recall their treatment at the hands of SS doctor Josef Mengele.
- Florida cat crawls out of grave Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:37:01 GMT
- A cat in Florida who was presumed dead after being run over appears five days later having somehow escaped its grave.