"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- Nigeria declared free of Ebola Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:48:44 GMT
- The World Health Organization declares Nigeria officially free of Ebola - hailing it a "spectacular success story" - after six weeks with no new cases.
- Scans reveal cause of winter blues Tue, 21 Oct 2014 01:21:11 GMT
- Scientists say they have identified the underlying reason why some people are prone to the winter blues, or seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
- Pistorius faces five-year IPC ban Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:51:35 GMT
- Paralympic chiefs say Oscar Pistorius cannot compete in IPC events for five years after he is jailed for killing Reeva Steenkamp.
- Real's Bale misses Liverpool game Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:52:07 GMT
- Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale misses Wednesday's Champions League game at Liverpool because of a thigh injury.
- On the tracks of Australia's last record maker Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:21:50 GMT
- How discs are pressed at the only record company in Australia with a vinyl press.
- Scandalous tales from the British embassy in Paris Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:16:37 GMT
- Hugh Schofield reveals the colourful history of the British ambassador's residence in Paris - courtesy of the butler.
- Somalia orders UK passport seizure Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:32:02 GMT
- A court in Somalia orders the seizure of a local radio station owner's UK passport after he is accused of threatening national security.
- Gough Whitlam dies at the age of 98 Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:11:50 GMT
- Former Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam, credited with transforming Australian society in the 1970s, has died at the age of 98.
- Total boss dies in Moscow air crash Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:28:27 GMT
- Christophe de Margerie, chief executive of French oil company Total since 2007, has died after his plane crashed during take-off in Moscow.
- Rewards for Mexico missing students Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:38:29 GMT
- The Mexican government offers rewards totalling $4.75m (£3m) for information leading to the whereabouts of 43 missing students from Guerrero state.
- Fresh fighting in key Syrian town Tue, 21 Oct 2014 06:36:48 GMT
- Fierce fighting breaks out in the Syrian town of Kobane, ending two days of relative calm after defenders pushed back Islamic State militants.
- Exiled Nazis collected US benefits Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:47:32 GMT
- The US has paid dozens of exiled Nazi war criminals millions of dollars in social benefits after forcing them to leave the country, a new report finds.
- Woman dies after being hit by tree Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:23:07 GMT
- A woman dies after being hit by a falling tree in high winds in London, while three people are injured in a separate incident in West Sussex.
- Pregnant duchess appears in public Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:23:44 GMT
- The Duchess of Cambridge makes her first public appearance since announcing her second pregnancy.
- UK man 'killed fighting in Syria' Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:54:44 GMT
- A British man who travelled to Syria to fight with Islamic State group has been killed, his mosque says.