"If I have not read a book before, it is, for all intents and purposes, new to me whether it was printed yesterday or three hundred years ago."
—William Hazlitt (1778-1830) British essayist noted for literary criticism
- 25 readers' designs for a new union jack Fri, 06 Dec 2013 02:23:19 GMT
- After our piece on possible alternatives to the union jack, many readers decided to design their own.
- What would you ask a room of Nobel prizewinners? Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:12:16 GMT
- Send in the questions you would like to put to this year's Nobel prize winners.
- Uganda gives iPads to all MPs Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:13:32 GMT
- Uganda's parliament gives iPads to all MPs at a cost of $370,000 - a move which is criticised by many people.
- India sex case judge faces no action Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:19:59 GMT
- India's Supreme Court says that it will take no action against retired judge AK Ganguly, accused of sexual misconduct by one of his interns.
- Pope sets up child abuse committee Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:16:43 GMT
- Pope Francis is to set up a Vatican committee to fight sexual abuse of children in the Catholic Church and offer help to victims.
- Mexico radioactive material found Thu, 05 Dec 2013 04:53:03 GMT
- Stolen radioactive material, cobalt-60, is found in Mexico, but officials warn the thieves may have been exposed to deadly radiation levels.
- Thousands of Eritreans 'abducted' Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:10:50 GMT
- Up to 30,000 Eritreans have been abducted since 2007 and taken to Egypt's Sinai to suffer torture and ransom demands, new research says.
- Russian diplomats in US fraud case Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:55:06 GMT
- Dozens of Russian diplomats spent a fortune on luxury goods and holidays in a $1.5m benefits fraud spanning almost a decade, US prosecutors say.
- Tidal surge hits UK coastal towns Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:08:47 GMT
- Severe weather is affecting Britain, with thousands evacuated due to a tidal surge along the east coast and snow alerts in place in Scotland.
- Queen pays tribute to Nelson Mandela Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:54:39 GMT
- The Queen says she is "deeply saddened" to learn of Nelson Mandela's death and his legacy is a peaceful South Africa.
- E.On to raise energy prices by 3.7% Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:49:58 GMT
- UK energy supplier E.On announces average dual fuel bill increase of 3.7% from January 2014
- Osborne wants 'balanced' recovery Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:44:38 GMT
- Chancellor George Osborne rejects claims the UK's economic recovery is based solely on a boom in consumer spending and house prices.
- Nelson Mandela: A life in pictures Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:10:16 GMT
- Pictures of the life of anti-apartheid hero
- Your pictures: Pairs Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:05:14 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of pairs
- Day in pictures: 5 December 2013 Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:42:30 GMT
- 24 hours of news photos: 5 December