"It does not matter how many books you have, but how good the books are which you have."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- Bill Gates insists AI is a threat Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:05:38 GMT
- Microsoft's founder says we should worry that AI escape our control, despite claims to the contrary by a Microsoft Research chief.
- US firms object to source code rules Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:35:28 GMT
- Business groups have written to the Chinese government, asking it to rethink rules that would force them to hand over source code and create backdoors for officials in Beijing.
- Thorn Birds author McCullough dies Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:57:50 GMT
- Australian author Colleen McCullough, best known for her novel The Thorn Birds, dies aged 77.
- Man killed on Scorsese film set Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:52:23 GMT
- One man is killed and two others are injured on the set of Martin Scorsese's latest film set in Taiwan.
- Climate concern 'linked to floods' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:23:22 GMT
- Belief in the reality of climate change has risen among the British public, partly because of the 2013 winter floods, according to a report.
- 'Dippy' makes way for blue whale Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:15:01 GMT
- London's Natural History Museum is re-modelling its entrance, moving out the famous Diplodocus skeleton and moving in the bones of a blue whale.
- Bedtime 'has huge impact on sport' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:21:39 GMT
- Our internal body clock has such a dramatic impact on sporting ability that it could alter the chances of Olympic gold.
- Ebola virus mutating, scientists say Thu, 29 Jan 2015 05:55:38 GMT
- Scientists at the Institut Pasteur in France who are tracking the Ebola outbreak in Guinea say the virus has mutated.
- Costa to contest 'stamp' charge Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:09:35 GMT
- Chelsea's Diego Costa will contest the violent conduct charge he faces over an alleged stamp on Liverpool's Emre Can.
- MOTD remains on BBC TV until 2019 Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:49:57 GMT
- The BBC renews its deal to show Premier League highlights on Match of the Day for a further three years.
- The village that just got its first fridge Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:03:18 GMT
- About a quarter of homes in India have a fridge - for the first time a family in one village near Calcutta has installed one in their house.
- The twins of Auschwitz Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:04:40 GMT
- On the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp, survivors of experiments on twins recall their treatment at the hands of SS doctor Josef Mengele.
- Florida cat crawls out of grave Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:37:01 GMT
- A cat in Florida who was presumed dead after being run over appears five days later having somehow escaped its grave.
- Port spat puts squeeze on US islands Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:57:34 GMT
- Congestion in US ports means the Pacific island territory of American Samoa is running out of basic supplies.
- Chad 'forces Boko Haram from town' Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:13:21 GMT
- Chad's army has driven Boko Haram militants out of Malumfatori town in north-eastern Nigeria, a senior official from Niger tells the BBC.