"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves."
—Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) British writer, A Room with a View
- Smell test 'may predict lifespan' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:48:37 GMT
- US researchers say a simple smell test could help predict how likely someone is to be alive in five years' time.
- Cancer gene test 'would save lives' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:04:36 GMT
- Younger bowel cancer patients should be offered a genetic test to screen for a rare condition linked to a higher risk of cancer, say UK researchers.
- Wenger praises 'electric' Welbeck Wed, 01 Oct 2014 23:03:33 GMT
- Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says Danny Welbeck is "electric" after his hat-trick in the 4-1 win against Galatasaray.
- Typhoon 'threatens Japanese GP' Thu, 02 Oct 2014 07:27:48 GMT
- The Japanese GP could be called off if Typhoon Phanfone hits Japan on Sunday, says Force India driver Sergio Perez.
- How Bosnia is helping Cyprus find peace Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:07:53 GMT
- In the 1960s and 1970s, hundreds of Cypriots disappeared. Now, with the help of a laboratory in Bosnia, there is a renewed effort to find out what happened to them.
- Why Japan's sunny beaches are deserted Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:35:44 GMT
- For much of September, Tokyo basked in temperatures of 25C or more. In most countries there would be a rush for the beach, but not in Japan.
- Grace Mugabe 'should hand back PhD' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:52:22 GMT
- Award-winning Zimbabwean writer Chenjerai Hove calls on Zimbabwe's first lady Grace Mugabe to hand back her PhD as students demand an investigation.
- Japan volcano eruption deaths rise Wed, 01 Oct 2014 19:59:00 GMT
- Rescue workers in Japan recover more bodies from Mount Ontake, bringing to 47 the number of those killed by Saturday's surprise volcanic eruption.
- Lithuania accuses Russia over boat Wed, 01 Oct 2014 18:15:17 GMT
- Russia is accused by Lithuania of violating international maritime laws after seizing a Lithuanian fishing boat with a crew of 30.
- Rio 2016 Olympics 'are on track' Wed, 01 Oct 2014 23:15:58 GMT
- The International Olympic Committee says it is satisfied with the progress made by Rio de Janeiro in its preparations for the 2016 Olympics.
- Top Bahrain rights activist arrested Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:45:17 GMT
- Leading Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab is arrested over Twitter remarks deemed "denigrating" to government institutions.
- Texas children 'monitored for Ebola' Thu, 02 Oct 2014 00:24:50 GMT
- Five children in Texas who came into contact with the Liberian man infected with Ebola are being monitored at home.
- Ebola fight hit by aid cuts, MPs warn Thu, 02 Oct 2014 01:20:17 GMT
- Cuts in the amount of health aid the UK provides to Liberia and Sierra Leone have "compromised the fight" to stop the spread of the Ebola virus, MPs warn.
- RAF Tornados bomb IS pickup truck Thu, 02 Oct 2014 10:26:00 GMT
- RAF jets conduct fresh strikes against Islamic State in Iraq, carrying out a precision bombing attack on an armed pickup truck.
- Wonga to write off £220m of loans Thu, 02 Oct 2014 09:47:05 GMT
- Payday lender Wonga says it is writing off £220m of debts for 330,000 customers after putting in place new affordability checks.