"If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it? Good God, we also would be happy if we had no books and such books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."
—Franz Kafka (1883-1924) Austrian writer, The Metamorphosis, The Trial
- Fellowes to adapt Trollope novel Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:31:28 GMT
- Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes is to adapt Anthony Trollope's Doctor Thorne - one of his favourite novels - for TV.
- Native Americans quit Sandler set Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:40:31 GMT
- Several Native American actors walk off the set of an Adam Sandler comedy, claiming the film is "totally disrespectful" of Apache culture.
- Nepal quake 'followed historic pattern' Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:14:56 GMT
- Nepal's devastating magnitude-7.8 earthquake on Saturday was primed over 80 years ago by its last massive earthquake in 1934, geologists working in the region say.
- Hastings fishermen seek 'fair share' Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:23:02 GMT
- In the tightly contested seat of Hastings and Rye, it is the topic of fishing quotas that has become a key election issue
- Mitochondria editing tried in mice Sun, 26 Apr 2015 02:47:59 GMT
- Researchers develop a technique to edit out bits of mitochondrial DNA that could otherwise pass on incurable diseases, a study in mice shows.
- Hope over child malaria vaccine tests Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:01:19 GMT
- Final clinical trials of a malaria vaccine - the first to reach this stage - suggest it could protect one third of children against malaria, according to data published in The Lancet.
- Mourinho hits back at 'boring' jibes Sun, 26 Apr 2015 19:32:18 GMT
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says his team are not boring but suggests Arsenal are after failing to win the league title since 2003-04.
- Bayern win 25th Bundesliga title Sun, 26 Apr 2015 17:27:24 GMT
- Bayern Munich claim a third consecutive Bundesliga title courtesy of Wolfsburg's loss to Borussia Monchengladbach.
- The gunmen of Aden who keep saying sorry Sat, 25 Apr 2015 22:59:55 GMT
- As fighting raged in the Yemeni port of Aden this last week, the BBC's Orla Guerin made a brief visit from nearby Djibouti - in a cargo boat.
- Hunting whales with rowing boats and spears Sun, 26 Apr 2015 00:06:12 GMT
- The Indonesian village of Lamalera is among the few remaining communities that hunt whales using traditional harpoons.
- PM's 'brain fade' over football team Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:44:38 GMT
- David Cameron comes under fire from Twitter users after saying in a speech that he supported West Ham - when he is an Aston Villa fan.
- VIDEO: Couple plan to be oldest newlyweds Sat, 25 Apr 2015 06:47:09 GMT
- Two elderly lovebirds from East Sussex are set to become the world's oldest newlyweds when they tie the knot in June.
- Al-Shabab kills man for blasphemy Fri, 24 Apr 2015 18:11:45 GMT
- The Somali Islamist movement al-Shabab has killed a man for "insulting the prophet Muhammed", witnesses tell the BBC.
- Gallipoli tributes to Anzac 'heroes' Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:48:44 GMT
- Australia and New Zealand hold ceremonies to mark the centenary of the military landings at Gallipoli during the First World War.
- Putin-backed bikers head for Berlin Sat, 25 Apr 2015 21:59:01 GMT
- An ultra-patriotic Russian bike club begins a controversial ride to Berlin, despite Polish warnings that it will not allow them across the border.