"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- 'Most Earth-like planet yet' found Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:04:42 GMT
- A planet that is close in size to the Earth and that could hold water on its surface has been identified by the Kepler telescope.
- Sensors to prevent pain for amputees Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:41:59 GMT
- Researchers have developed a new type of pressure sensor - dubbed a "second skin" - which they say could prevent dangerous sores.
- Glaxo 'paid Polish doctors bribes' Sun, 13 Apr 2014 23:04:46 GMT
- UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama discovers.
- Palace loss should not stand - Cardiff Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:46:39 GMT
- Cardiff City claim Crystal Palace got hold of important team information in advance of a key Premier League match.
- The spooky world of the 'numbers stations' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:27:32 GMT
- This is the era of hyper-tech espionage, encrypted emails and mindboggling cryptography. But you can hear a very old-fashioned form of espionage on shortwave radio.
- Uplifting letters of hope sent to children of Syria Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:10:37 GMT
- Somali children living in the world's largest refugee camp in Kenya have sent letters of encouragement to Syrian refugee children who have also had to flee their homeland.
- Parents seek Nigeria kidnap girls Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:59:51 GMT
- The parents of some of the girls abducted from their school in north-east Nigeria head into the forests in a dangerous search for their daughters.
- India votes on biggest polling day Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:37:02 GMT
- Indians are voting in the biggest day of the general election, pitting the ruling Congress party against the main opposition BJP.
- Channel Tunnel train delay 'chaos' Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:19:58 GMT
- Hundreds of Channel Tunnel rail passengers are stuck at stations, after a series of problems caused delays.
- Mexico 'cartel city' mayor arrested Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:29:40 GMT
- The mayor of a city known as a stronghold of Mexico's Knights Templar drug cartel is arrested on suspicion of extorting money on the cartel's behalf.
- Algeria votes on Bouteflika's future Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:08:32 GMT
- Algerians are voting in elections in which incumbent President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who suffered a stroke last year, is seeking a fourth term.
- Obama: Healthcare law 'is working' Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:29:10 GMT
- President Barack Obama defends his signature healthcare law, saying the debate over its repeal is "over" as he touts high enrolment numbers.
- Co-op Group reports £2.5bn loss Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:01:32 GMT
- The Co-operative Group reports losses of £2.5bn, the worst results in its 150-year history, after what its chief executive calls a "disastrous" year.
- Female MPs shunning PMQs - Bercow Thu, 17 Apr 2014 17:53:22 GMT
- Some female MPs have stopped attending Prime Minister's Questions because it is so "bad", says Speaker John Bercow.
- Man charged with firearm possession Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:45:22 GMT
- A man is charged after police seize firearms and ammunition from an address in east London.