"The lessons taught in great books are misleading. The commerce in life is rarely so simple and never so just."
- Sporting world remembers Nelson Mandela Thu, 05 Dec 2013 23:58:52 GMT
- Fifa president Sepp Blatter leads tributes to South Africa's first black president Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95.
- England do not fear anyone - Hodgson Thu, 05 Dec 2013 17:29:25 GMT
- Roy Hodgson insists England do not fear any other side in football ahead of Friday's World Cup finals draw in Brazil.
- What would you ask a room of Nobel prizewinners? Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:12:16 GMT
- Send in the questions you would like to put to this year's Nobel prize winners.
- The secret double life of a gay neo-Nazi Thu, 05 Dec 2013 06:51:10 GMT
- He was the British extreme right's most feared streetfighter. But almost right up to his death 20 years ago, Nicky Crane led a precarious dual existence.
- Uganda gives iPads to all MPs Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:13:32 GMT
- Uganda's parliament gives iPads to all MPs at a cost of $370,000 - a move which is criticised by many people.
- India sex case judge faces no action Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:19:59 GMT
- India's Supreme Court says that it will take no action against retired judge AK Ganguly, accused of sexual misconduct by one of his interns.
- Change EU free movement rules - UK Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:41:50 GMT
- Britain wants to change the rules governing the free movement of people across the EU, Home Secretary Theresa May will tell European ministers.
- Mexico radioactive material found Thu, 05 Dec 2013 04:53:03 GMT
- Stolen radioactive material, cobalt-60, is found in Mexico, but officials warn the thieves may have been exposed to deadly radiation levels.
- Thousands of Eritreans 'abducted' Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:10:50 GMT
- Up to 30,000 Eritreans have been abducted since 2007 and taken to Egypt's Sinai to suffer torture and ransom demands, new research says.
- Russian diplomats in US fraud case Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:55:06 GMT
- Dozens of Russian diplomats spent a fortune on luxury goods and holidays in a $1.5m benefits fraud spanning almost a decade, US prosecutors say.
- Storm forces thousands from homes Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:01:31 GMT
- Thousands of people are being evacuated from their homes as a storm, which has killed two men, causes the biggest tidal surge for 60 years.
- Prince William in tribute to Mandela Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:43:24 GMT
- The death of Nelson Mandela is "extremely sad and tragic", Prince William said after hearing the news at a film premiere about the ex-South African president.
- Key NHS operations 'being rationed' Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:32:39 GMT
- The NHS in England appears to be rationing access to vital non-emergency hospital care, such as knee and hip replacements, a review suggests.
- Man charged with double murder bid Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:43:30 GMT
- Police charge a 37-year-old man with attempting to murder two police officers in Leeds following a shooting in which an officer was hit in the face.
- Your pictures: Pairs Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:05:14 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of pairs