"Many a man wishes he were strong enough to tear a telephone book in half-especially if he has a teenage daughter."
—Guy Albert Lombardo (1902-77) Canadian-born American bandleader
- Hormone 'protects premature babies' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:01:09 GMT
- The hormone erythropoietin (EPO) could prevent brain injuries in very premature babies, a study suggests.
- 'Ban E-cig use indoors,' says WHO Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:33:38 GMT
- The World Health Organization says there should be regulations preventing the use of electronic cigarettes indoors in public and work places.
- Milton Keynes Dons 4-0 Manchester United Tue, 26 Aug 2014 21:03:08 GMT
- Manchester United suffer a humiliating League Cup exit as they are hammered 4-0 by League One side MK Dons.
- Celtic 0-1 NK Maribor Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:36:44 GMT
- Celtic drop into the Europa League after losing 1-0 at home to NK Maribor in their Champions League play-off.
- The death list that names 5,000 victims Mon, 25 Aug 2014 23:33:34 GMT
- How prosecutors are using a 34-year-old document to track the people who killed 5,000 victims in the 1970s.
- Is this woman an apostate? Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:00:23 GMT
- Is Kate Kelly really an apostate? Why the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints excommunicated a woman for campaigning to change the priesthood.
- UN helicopter crashes in South Sudan Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:15:55 GMT
- The UN says one of its cargo helicopters has crashed in South Sudan killing three crew - unconfirmed reports say it was shot down.
- India 'criminal' ministers warning Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:38:35 GMT
- India's Supreme Court says politicians with criminal records should not be appointed as ministers.
- Berlin's embattled mayor to quit Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:37:00 GMT
- Berlin's mayor Klaus Wowereit announces he will step down on 11 December amid an ongoing row over the city's new airport.
- UN: Poverty down in Latin America Tue, 26 Aug 2014 22:21:12 GMT
- More than 56 million people were lifted out of poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean between 2000 and 2012, according to a UN report.
- Long-term Gaza ceasefire agreed Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:55:33 GMT
- Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza agree a long-term truce, ending seven weeks of fighting that has left more than 2,200 people dead.
- US schools to have non-white majority Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:51:32 GMT
- White pupils in state schools in the United States are set to be a minority for the first time when schools return for the new term.
- Police chief ‘must quit over report’ Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:48:54 GMT
- The Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire faces calls to resign in light of the damning report into child abuse in Rotherham.
- Primary school places budget squeeze Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:22:49 GMT
- There are warnings that the rising primary school population in England is putting pressure on budgets and raising fears of "supersize" schools.
- Swinney says 'No currency, no debt' Tue, 26 Aug 2014 21:42:45 GMT
- Finance secretary John Swinney has confirmed Scotland will not pay its share of the UK debt if it does not get a currency union after independence.