"All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value."
—Carl Sagan (b. 1934) American astronomer noted for research for extraterrestrial life
- DNA project 'to make UK world leader' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:01:58 GMT
- A project aiming to revolutionise medicine by unlocking the secrets of DNA is under way in centres across England.
- Cook relieved by England victory Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:39:16 GMT
- Captain Alastair Cook is pleased that England's win in the third Test against India has ended a bad run of form.
- Amos beats Rudisha to 800m gold Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:55:52 GMT
- Nijel Amos produces a stunning run down the final straight to beat David Rudisha to 800m Commonwealth gold.
- American Vogue's first black cover girl Wed, 30 Jul 2014 23:57:40 GMT
- Beverly Johnson was told she would never be on the cover of Vogue - but she made history when she became the first black model to do just that.
- How do you get your face on the dollar? Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:04:54 GMT
- The US is debating putting a woman's face on the US dollar. How does it happen?
- Senegal corruption trial 'political' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:20:14 GMT
- The flamboyant son of Senegal's ex-President Abdoulaye Wade calls himself a "political prisoner" during a first appearance at his corruption trial.
- Race to find India landslide missing Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:31:50 GMT
- Rescuers in western India race to locate survivors of a landslide that has killed at least 30 and buried up to 200 people, but hopes of finding survivors fade as time passes.
- Nato 'unprepared for Russia threat' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:53:35 GMT
- Nato is poorly prepared for an attack on a member state by Russia, a group of MPs warns in a report.
- Mexico migrants' train deal reached Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:43:41 GMT
- The US, Mexico and Guatemala will establish more checkpoints along the route of a freight train to prevent migrants from boarding it, Guatemala says.
- Filipinos urged to leave Libya Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:11:48 GMT
- A top diplomat from the Philippines is to oversee the evacuation of 13,000 citizens from Libya after a Filipino worker was beheaded and a nurse raped.
- Police urged to carry drugs antidote Thu, 31 Jul 2014 20:34:17 GMT
- US Attorney General Eric Holder has urged federal law enforcement agencies to equip some of their officers with the heroin overdose antidote Naloxone.
- Whistle-blowers often victimised - MPs Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:08:31 GMT
- The treatment of employees in public services who raise concerns about wrongdoing is often "shocking", a group of MPs says.
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe begins Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:31:57 GMT
- Thousands of performers from across the world are in Edinburgh for the start of the world's biggest arts festival.
- Appeal over CBBC actor's killing Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:21:05 GMT
- Police hunting for a man wanted over the stabbing of a children's TV actor offer a £10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest and prosecution.
- Exam body to check 'extra help' data Fri, 01 Aug 2014 00:22:46 GMT
- The exams regulator Ofqual is to collect information on how many private school students receive extra time in exams, compared with state pupils.