"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Twitter exec in direct message gaffe Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:50:58 GMT
- Top Twitter boss accidentally tweets a private message about acquiring a company.
- More Bill Cosby shows cancelled in US Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:49:53 GMT
- Two more Bill Cosby shows are axed as the veteran comedian continues to face allegations of sexual assault.
- International Emmys for UK shows Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:15:45 GMT
- British TV productions win three awards at the International Emmys in the US, including a best drama prize for axed Channel 4 series Utopia.
- Gravity map traces ocean circulation Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:37:30 GMT
- Scientists use gravity data to produce what they say is the most accurate space view yet of global ocean currents and the speed at which they move.
- Stone age axe found with wood handle Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:05:18 GMT
- Archaeologists in Denmark have uncovered an incredibly rare find: a stone age axe held within its wooden handle.
- Ebola 'stable' in Guinea - WHO Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:33:53 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak is now "stable" in Guinea, the country where the latest crisis began, the World Health Organization says.
- Brain's dementia weak spot found Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:06:07 GMT
- The brain has a weak spot for Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia, according to experts who have pinpointed the region using scans.
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:09:17 GMT
- Sergio Aguero boosts Manchester City's Champions League hopes with two late goals to beat Bayern Munich 3-2.
- Javid wants Fifa to publish report Wed, 26 Nov 2014 00:00:27 GMT
- The government calls on Fifa to publish in full the investigation into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process.
- The mysterious disappearance of a celebrity preacher Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:19:57 GMT
- Aimee Semple McPherson was one of the most glamorous women in the US in the 1920s - but there is still one unexplained mystery in the evangelist's life.
- The battle for control of the cigarette packet Mon, 24 Nov 2014 00:15:37 GMT
- As cigarette packet health warnings grow ever bigger and gorier, tobacco companies have been finding other ways to give their products a distinctive look and feel.
- Tourists flock to 'see democracy' Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:49:55 GMT
- Taiwan's local elections are a tourist attraction for Chinese visitors.
- Anger at 'no single women' signs Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:32:23 GMT
- Restaurants in conservative Arab kingdom worried about 'flirting'.
- Many dead in twin Nigeria blasts Tue, 25 Nov 2014 21:03:54 GMT
- Two female suicide bombers blow themselves up at a crowded market in the northern Nigerian city of Maiduguri, killing 78 people, hospital staff say.
- Bangladesh 'Hajj critic' is arrested Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:28:25 GMT
- A senior Bangladeshi politician who criticised the annual Hajj pilgrimage made by Muslims to Mecca is arrested in Dhaka for insulting Islam.