"Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
—Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) German writer, romantic poet, social essays
- African food security on the menu Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:55:35 GMT
- African ministers and business leaders gather in Ethiopia to consider ways to trigger a green revolution and improve the continent's food security.
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Sniffing faeces 'detects infection' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 08:51:16 GMT
- UK researchers say an "electronic nose" that smells faeces can detect strains of bacteria that can cause deadly infections.
- Murray beats Tsonga to reach quarters Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:24:21 GMT
- Britain's Andy Murray beats Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5 7-5 6-4 to book a US Open quarter-final against Novak Djokovic.
- Arsenal sign Welbeck from Man Utd Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:13:01 GMT
- Arsenal sign Manchester United and England forward Danny Welbeck on a "long-term" deal for £16m.
- The girl with three biological parents Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:15:16 GMT
- Alana Saarinen is one of a few people who have DNA from three different people - the UK may soon allow a new process which could make this more common.
- How Britain and Poland came to be intertwined Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:13:31 GMT
- The story of how the Polish became one of the UK's biggest ethnic minorities is one of war, exile and economic opportunity.
- Nigeria militants 'suffer losses' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:59:35 GMT
- The Nigerian army claims to have repelled an attack by Islamist militants Boko Haram on the town of Bama in the country's north-east.
- Mining tax repealed by Australia Tue, 02 Sep 2014 06:45:08 GMT
- Australia repeals a controversial mining tax after the government strikes a deal with business tycoon Clive Palmer's political party.
- Nato plans rapid response force Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:28:51 GMT
- Nato is to approve a rapid response force at a summit in Wales this week to deter any Russian threat to Eastern European members, the alliance's chief says.
- Man Utd sign Falcao on loan for £6m Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:31:35 GMT
- Manchester United sign Colombia international striker Radamel Falcao on loan from Ligue 1 side Monaco.
- Libya militias 'seize ministries' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 14:06:17 GMT
- Libya's militias capture most government ministries in the capital, Tripoli, the government says, as the prime minister is reappointed.
- Joan Rivers' family remain hopeful Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:02:35 GMT
- The daughter of comedian and TV presenter Joan Rivers says they have their "fingers crossed" as she recovers in hospital from a cardiac arrest.
- 'Difficulties' with anti-terror plans Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:03:45 GMT
- There are "significant difficulties" with preventing British-born terror suspects from re-entering the country, the reviewer of terror laws says.
- Ashya case under review, says CPS Tue, 02 Sep 2014 06:55:50 GMT
- The parents of Ashya King have had their case put under "immediate review", the Crown Prosecution Service says.