"[A] book ... unlike a television program, moving picture or any other 'modern means of communication' ... can wait for years, yet be available at any moment when it happens to be needed."
—Joseph Wood Krutch (1893-1970) American critic, natrualist, writer, The Modern Temper
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:13:48 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Hurricane Odile stuns Mexico resorts Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:10:26 GMT
- Hurricane Odile causes devastation in the beach resorts of Mexico's Baja California peninsula, triggering looting in some areas.
- VIDEO: Dr Edhi: A life helping Pakistan's poor Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:06:37 GMT
- Sixty years ago, Abdul Sattar Edhi gave up everything to start a charitable organisation, dedicated to improving the lives of the poor in Pakistan.
- VIDEO: Why are London pavements exploding? Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:43:13 GMT
- Two van drivers had a lucky escape after a pavement explosion in central London which was caught on CCTV.
- VIDEO: 'Audacious' comet landing site chosen Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:20:37 GMT
- Europe's Rosetta mission team, which aims to touch down on a 4km-wide comet later this year, identifies what they think is the safest place to land a small robot craft.
- Tardy ex-minister chased off plane Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:11:43 GMT
- Irate passengers prevent a senior Pakistani politician from boarding a flight, after they were kept on board for two hours until he arrived.
- Goldfish has brain operation Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:46:37 GMT
- An Australian goldfish called George is recovering from successful microsurgery in which a large tumour was removed from his brain.
- Russians urged 'don't panic' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:33:04 GMT
- Russian authorities urged people not to panic on Tuesday as the rouble fell to a new all-time low against the US dollar amid concerns about the effect of sanctions on the country's economy.
- Global firms 'need new tax rules' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:27:18 GMT
- Moves to tackle corporate tax avoidance on a global scale are unveiled by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
- Giant sensor for Panasonic phone Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:02:12 GMT
- Panasonic unveils a hybrid smartphone-camera, at the Photokina trade show in Cologne.
- Judge overturns Uber ban in Germany Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:50:41 GMT
- A German judge has overturned a temporary injunction which banned Uber from operating one of its services in the country.
- Clooney to receive honorary Globe Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:25:50 GMT
- US actor, director and producer George Clooney is to receive an honorary award at next year's Golden Globes.
- Thompson 'wept' over stage return Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:57:05 GMT
- Actress Emma Thompson says her recent stage comeback in Sweeney Todd brought her to tears and that it is a "dream come true" to bring the production to London.
- Red card for 'greenest' government Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:44:59 GMT
- The government is failing to reduce air pollution, protect biodiversity and prevent flooding, a cross-party body of MPs says.
- Climate change remedies 'affordable' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 05:57:55 GMT
- A global commission says the extra costs of tackling climate change will be 'modest', but doing nothing could put the world economy at risk.