"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves."
—Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) British writer, A Room with a View
- Italy up in arms over David advert Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:14:09 GMT
- Italy's culture minister expresses outrage over an advertisement by a US weapons firm showing Michelangelo's David holding a rifle.
- Nuclear fallout bunker for sale Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:39:05 GMT
- A Cold War-era nuclear fallout bunker in the Derbyshire countryside is up for auction.
- US economy adds 175,000 new jobs Fri, 07 Mar 2014 15:22:48 GMT
- The US economy added 175,000 jobs in February, figures show, but the unemployment rate rose to 6.7%.
- Landmark default in China solar firm Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:36:07 GMT
- Chaori Solar becomes the first Chinese firm to default on its onshore corporate bonds, say media reports quoting the firm, after failing to make an interest payment.
- Facebook's WhatsApp purchase opposed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:48:36 GMT
- Facebook's purchase of WhatsApp - one of the biggest ever tech acquisitions - runs into trouble over privacy concerns.
- Samsung launches free music streaming Fri, 07 Mar 2014 21:25:14 GMT
- The world's biggest smartphone maker, Samsung, launches a free music streaming service called Milk Music.
- Gravity cameraman collects honour Sun, 09 Mar 2014 10:10:28 GMT
- The chief cameraman on Oscar-winning film Gravity wins an award for his work at a ceremony which also honours late camera operator Sarah Jones.
- Tartt and Atwood vie for book award Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:48:13 GMT
- Margaret Atwood, Donna Tartt and Booker winner Eleanor Catton are among the novelists longlisted for this year's Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction.
- Great Walls 'could stop tornadoes' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 03:27:49 GMT
- Building gigantic walls across the US could protect Tornado Alley "forever", a physicist says, though critics say the idea is unworkable.
- Tree storm damage 'worst since 1987' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:52:48 GMT
- This winter's extreme winds caused the biggest loss of trees in in more than 20 years, according to the National Trust.
- Malaria 'spreading to new altitudes' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 01:13:24 GMT
- Warmer temperatures are causing malaria to spread in the African and South American highlands, traditionally havens from the disease, scientists say.
- Warning over hospital superbug rise Fri, 07 Mar 2014 03:26:05 GMT
- Sixteen patients have died in Manchester over the past four years while infected with a highly resistant superbug, figures show.
- Mourinho: Man City in pole position Sat, 08 Mar 2014 20:49:08 GMT
- Russian baddies are back Sat, 08 Mar 2014 01:08:54 GMT
- From the 1930s to present day, Russians have been portrayed as murderous thugs on the big and small screen in the West.
- The restaurants that thrive on insulting their diners Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:32:44 GMT
- A Chinese eatery dubbed "London's rudest" has promised better service. Is insulting your customers ever a good idea?