"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
—Deciderius Erasmus (1466?-1536) Dutch Renaissance scholar, theologian
- VIDEO: Thailand seizes four tonnes of ivory Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:11:19 GMT
- Customs officials in Thailand say they have made the biggest seizure of smuggled ivory in the country's history, as Jonathan Head reports.
- VIDEO: Refusing racist tattoos in Hungary Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:15:26 GMT
- Nationalism is on the rise in many countries across Europe. One tattoo artist in Hungary is fighting against it.
- VIDEO: The Sumatran rhino in need of a mate Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:01:23 GMT
- The Borneo Rhino Alliance are trying to find a suitable mate for a Sumatran rhino.
- VIDEO: No drugs or power: In Yemen hospital Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:04:53 GMT
- BBC News has had rare access to the Yemeni city of Aden which has been virtually cut off since the country's conflict escalated in March.
- VIDEO: Russian opposition activist faces charges Mon, 20 Apr 2015 20:52:35 GMT
- Opposition activist Natalia Pelevina is facing charges in connection with an anti-Putin protest which took place nearly three years ago in Moscow's Bolotnaya Square.
- Russia sets its sights on Middle East Tue, 21 Apr 2015 00:30:55 GMT
- The missile deal between Russia and Iran may mark a renewed effort by Moscow to bolster its profile in the Middle East, says Jonathan Marcus.
- Will a 'feared' book damage Hillary's presidential hopes? Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:13:39 GMT
- Clinton Cash alleges that Hillary Clinton granted favours to foreign interests. Is there substance behind what the New York Times calls the "most anticipated" book of the campaign so far?
- Single currency for Asean ruled out Mon, 20 Apr 2015 15:21:47 GMT
- The 10 nations of South East Asia will not share one currency like their targeted rivals in Europe, because of vastly different income levels.
- Why Libya is springboard for migrant exodus Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:13:44 GMT
- How did Libya become a springboard for migrants making the increasingly deadly sea crossing to Europe?
- What in the world does China own? Mon, 20 Apr 2015 01:04:53 GMT
- China has been busy hoovering up more and more overseas assets, but where and what is it buying?
- Timeline: Australia's terror threat Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:52:52 GMT
- Concern has been growing in Australian over the effect on domestic security of Australian nationals fighting with Islamist militant groups in Iraq and Syria. The BBC looks at how events have developed.
- Delhi hires first woman bus driver Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:07:51 GMT
- Delhi's first woman bus driver takes the wheel - with messages of support and malfunctioning doors.
- Cirque du Soleil sold to investors Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:08:52 GMT
- Canadian circus firm Cirque du Soleil sells a majority stake to US and Chinese private investors, valuing the firm at $1.5bn.
- Greece asks public agencies for cash Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:09:02 GMT
- The Greek government asks public sector bodies to hand over any reserve cash to help it meet a payment due to the International Monetary Fund.
- UK orders Russian to sell oil assets Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:24:57 GMT
- Russian billionaire Mikhail Fridman must sell his North Sea gas fields within six months, the UK orders.