"Some books are undeservedly forgotten; none are undeservedly remembered."
—Wystan Hugh Auden (1907-73) British-born American writer, critic
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 05 Mar 2015 22:12:46 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: The greatest threat to China's elephants Wed, 04 Mar 2015 23:44:00 GMT
- The greatest threat to China's wild elephants is no longer poaching but habitat destruction.
- VIDEO: The 'Alcatraz of Indonesia'. Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:03:34 GMT
- The BBC looks at the prison, which has been called "the Alcatraz of Indonesia" - where two Australians, expected to face execution this week, have been transferred.
- VIDEO: McDonald's in chicken change over antibiotics Thu, 05 Mar 2015 06:59:53 GMT
- The world's largest restaurant chain McDonald's has said it is going to stop buying chickens from suppliers who rear their birds with antibiotics that are also used to fight human infections.
- VIDEO: Cape Town wildfires from above Wed, 04 Mar 2015 19:20:55 GMT
- More than 100 South African firefighters are battling wildfires on the mountains around Cape Town.
- Why migration is changing almost everything Fri, 06 Mar 2015 02:55:24 GMT
- What's the message in experimental figures on the true shape of migration in England?
- Fears over UK Sunni-Shia divide Fri, 06 Mar 2015 01:05:31 GMT
- Sunni and Shia Muslims have co-existed in peace in the UK in the past, says Caroline Wyatt - but there are concerns about growing tensions.
- Flying in to see the home of Mexico's fallen drug lord Thu, 05 Mar 2015 10:35:37 GMT
- Mexico's authorities have been quick to hail the capture of senior drug cartel figures, but Katy Watson asks, just how significant are the arrests?
- LHC restart: 'We want to break physics' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 00:15:22 GMT
- The Large Hadron Collider is gearing up for its revamped second run, and its physicists want this next round of collisions to shake their discipline to its core.
- VIDEO: Ukraine's deadly mines - in 90 secs Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:23:55 GMT
- Ukraine's latest mining disaster in Donetsk has claimed dozens of lives. But why are the country's mines so dangerous?
- VIDEO: China's military compared - 60 secs Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:39:38 GMT
- China's defence budget is set to rise by about 10% in 2015 - here's a quick look at where that places it in the ranks of the world's biggest military spenders.
- Toronto tunnel was a 'man cave' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:11:02 GMT
- The man who dug a tunnel under Toronto and caused a media frenzy says the man cave was merely his "dream" hang out spot.
- Hall and Oates sue over cereal name Thu, 05 Mar 2015 13:42:49 GMT
- Hall and Oates are suing a Brooklyn-based cereal firm claiming their granola Haulin' Oats infringes their trademark.
- US banks pass first 'stress test' Fri, 06 Mar 2015 01:15:17 GMT
- All 31 US banks have passed the first hurdle in the Federal Reserve's latest round of annual "stress tests" to see how they would cope in the next economic crisis.
- Banker lost job 'after risk fears' Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:42:15 GMT
- A banker who claims he lost his job after raising concerns about his employer will have his case heard at a full employment tribunal hearing after losing a preliminary hearing.