"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:45:25 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: 'Audacious' comet landing site chosen Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:20:37 GMT
- Europe's Rosetta mission team, which aims to touch down on a 4km-wide comet later this year, identifies what they think is the safest place to land a small robot craft.
- VIDEO: Indian launch for Android One phone Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:06:18 GMT
- Google launches the first Android One branded smartphones in India.
- VIDEO: Smart mirror offers wrinkle advice Mon, 15 Sep 2014 07:53:16 GMT
- From mirrors that give advice to wireless kitchen appliances - the devices that could be in the house of the future.
- VIDEO: Prince Harry marks 30th birthday Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:37:22 GMT
- Prince Harry has a two-fold celebration on Monday - his 30th birthday, and the success of the Invictus Games for wounded servicemen and women, which have ended in London.
- Tardy ex-minister chased off plane Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:17:00 GMT
- Irate passengers prevent a senior Pakistani politician from boarding a flight, after they were kept on board for two hours until he arrived.
- Goldfish has brain operation Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:46:37 GMT
- An Australian goldfish called George is recovering from successful microsurgery in which a large tumour was removed from his brain.
- Russian rouble falls to new low Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:57:03 GMT
- The Russian rouble falls to a new all-time low against the US dollar amid concerns about the effect of sanctions on the country's economy.
- Alibaba raises price of share sale Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:48:05 GMT
- Chinese online giant Alibaba increases the price range of its initial public offering, meaning it could raise more than $25bn when it lists in New York.
- Microsoft buys Minecraft for $2.5bn Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:10:51 GMT
- Mojang, the Swedish firm behind the popular video game Minecraft, is bought by Microsoft for $2.5bn (£1.5bn).
- Apple releases U2 album removal tool Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:32:30 GMT
- Apple releases a tool to remove U2's new album from its customers' iTunes accounts in response to complaints six days after giving away the music for free.
- Clooney to receive honorary Globe Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:25:50 GMT
- US actor, director and producer George Clooney is to receive an honorary award at next year's Golden Globes.
- Cat Stevens to play US concerts Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:25:03 GMT
- Cat Stevens - also known as Yusuf Islam - is to perform a series of dates in the US for the first time since 1976.
- Red card for 'greenest' government Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:44:59 GMT
- The government is failing to reduce air pollution, protect biodiversity and prevent flooding, a cross-party body of MPs says.
- US gas leaks not caused by fracking Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:16:30 GMT
- A new study suggests that the contamination of drinking water by shale gas is due to faulty wells and not hydraulic fracturing.