"Wherever they burn books, they will also, in the end, burn people."
—Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) German writer, romantic poet, social essays
- VIDEO: Upcycling: Ethical way to do fashion Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:47:20 GMT
- There is a drive to get us to be more ethical when it comes to buying clothes - and it involves spending less and recycling more.
- AUDIO: Led Zep reveal Keys to the Highway track Wed, 23 Apr 2014 07:01:51 GMT
- Legendary rock group Led Zeppelin have released two previously unheard recordings ahead of the reissue of the band's first three albums in June.
- VIDEO: Hands-on with Microsoft's Cortana Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:40:33 GMT
- Microsoft's natural language expert explains how he breathed life into the firm's Halo-inspired virtual assistant Cortana.
- VIDEO: The trouble with tips Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:33:55 GMT
- Service workers like waiters and bartenders can make good money working for cash tips. But when business is slow, there's little safety net. How do they fit into the US discussion about raising the minimum wage?
- Jodie Foster marries girlfriend Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:33:12 GMT
- US actress Jodie Foster marries her girlfriend, Alexandra Hedison, the actress's representative confirms.
- Czech deer still avoid Iron Curtain Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:56:33 GMT
- A new study has found that deer on the border between the Czech Republic and old West Germany still stick to their sides despite the barrier having vanished long ago.
- Apple profits beat expectations Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:23:41 GMT
- Technology giant Apple plans a share buyback after it reports profits of $10.2bn, selling a more than 43 million iPhones in the second quarter of 2014.
- EU in slow progress on deficit cuts Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:03:35 GMT
- EU member countries have cut new government borrowing, but total debt continues to rise, European Commission figures show.
- NYPD Twitter campaign 'backfires' Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:28:34 GMT
- Twitter users bombard the New York Police department with images depicting police aggression in the latest social media campaign to go awry.
- VIDEO: Actress writes her own happy ending Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:16:20 GMT
- A woman pioneer in the digital space talks about using technology to create acting opportunities that wouldn't otherwise exist.
- Led Zeppelin unleash unheard work Wed, 23 Apr 2014 06:49:51 GMT
- Legendary rock group Led Zeppelin make public two previously unheard recordings.
- Top Gear 'regrets' Myanmar remark Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:49:27 GMT
- The executive producer of Top Gear expresses regret over a "light-hearted" remark on its Burma special that led to the BBC show being accused of racism.
- Asteroid impact risks 'underplayed' Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:18:33 GMT
- A visualisation showing where sizeable asteroids have hit the Earth in recent years has been released by the B612 Foundation.
- Mystery of 'ocean quacks' solved Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:01:55 GMT
- The mystery of a bizarre quacking sound often heard in the Southern Ocean has finally been solved, scientists report.
- Binge drinking 'link to overeating' Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:57:29 GMT
- Drinking more than three large glasses of wine can push people over a "tipping point", meaning they consume about 6,300 extra calories in the following 24 hours, research says.