"Associate with the noblest people you can find; read the best books; live with the mighty. But learn to be happy alone. Rely upon your own energies, and so do not wait for, or depend on other people."
—Thomas Davidson Professor
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 29 Jan 2015 05:37:40 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Ex Greek PM: 'My conscience is clear' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:26:47 GMT
- Former Greek PM George Papandreou tells Newsnight he does not feel guilty about signing up to austerity
- VIDEO: 'Holodeck’ recreates crimes in 3D Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:31:47 GMT
- Researchers have developed a virtual reality system that recreates crime scenes as virtual worlds.
- VIDEO: 'I had to survive to tell the world' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:12:29 GMT
- Kitty Hart-Moxon survived two years as a prisoner at the infamous Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz. She spoke to Witness about how she coped.
- Could Greece prompt wholesale change in Europe? Thu, 29 Jan 2015 02:15:15 GMT
- The triumph of Syriza in Greece could lead to renewed tensions - and widespread political change - across Europe, says Mark Mardell.
- Afghan economy stagnates amid political deadlock Thu, 29 Jan 2015 02:25:43 GMT
- Four months after the inauguration of a new president, Afghanistan is still without a government and could face zero growth in 2015.
- Carney attacks German austerity Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:50:10 GMT
- In saying that the eurozone will only thrive again if there is a fiscal union, the governor of the Bank of England is in effect criticising Germany for not spending and borrowing more to support weaker eurozone countries.
- Obama, Apple and the tax issue Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:33:34 GMT
- The astonishing success of technology giant Apple raises again the issue of where it pays its taxes.
- Saudi Arabia and an uncertain future Thu, 29 Jan 2015 02:28:57 GMT
- An uncertain future for Saudi Arabia after King Abdullah
- VIDEO: What is the wind chill factor? Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:07:56 GMT
- BBC Weather's Peter Gibbs explains the science of wind chill.
- What does Kim Jong-un really want? Wed, 28 Jan 2015 02:49:23 GMT
- Expert witnesses offer insight into the ambitions of the enigmatic North Korean leader.
- Argentina's spy agency in the crossfire Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:47:47 GMT
- Few tears will be shed in Argentina for the disbanding of the country's hated intelligence agency, writes BBC Mundo's Veronica Smink.
- 'Dippy' makes way for blue whale Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:15:01 GMT
- London's Natural History Museum is re-modelling its entrance, moving out the famous Diplodocus skeleton and moving in the bones of a blue whale.
- Questions over Qatar handball stars Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:40:13 GMT
- The coach of Qatar's record-beating World Championship handball squad faces questions about the high number of foreign players in his team.
- Facebook earnings beat expectations Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:40:22 GMT
- The social network reports fourth-quarter profits of $701m, a 34% increase from the same period a year earlier, buoyed by strong mobile advertising sales.