"To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations--such is a pleasure beyond compare."
- VIDEO: Camera pioneers' work goes on display Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:17:15 GMT
- Portraits by 19th century photographers Henry and Charles Meade are subjects of a new exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington.
- VIDEO: Lourdes evacuated after flash floods Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:28:16 GMT
- The Roman Catholic shrine at Lourdes has been evacuated after flash floods struck south-western France.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 19 Jun 2013 01:13:11 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: US and Cuba hold direct mail talks Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:29:55 GMT
- Cuban and US officials hold talks about resuming direct mail services following a 50 year postal ban between the two countries.
- VIDEO: Barbra Streisand receives PhD Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:37:48 GMT
- Barbra Streisand received an honorary doctorate of philosophy degree from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
- VIDEO: Billy Crystal becomes a monster Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:30:15 GMT
- Hollywood actors Billy Crystal and John Goodman reprise their roles at Mike and Sulley in the new Monsters, Inc film
- VIDEO: Lawrence concert line-up unveiled Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:05:47 GMT
- Twenty years after the teenager Stephen Lawrence was stabbed to death in London, details of a star-studded concert in his memory have been unveiled.
- G8 leaders agree deal on tax evasion Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:48:09 GMT
- Leaders of the G8 major economies agree plan to clamp down on money launderers, illegal tax evaders and corporate tax avoiders.
- Deloitte gets one-year New York ban Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:50:41 GMT
- Deloitte is suspended for one year from doing consulting work in New York after regulators criticised its work at Standard Chartered on anti-money laundering issues.
- Huawei unveils 'slimmest' smartphone Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:03:46 GMT
- Huawei unveils the world's slimmest smartphone saying the handset will work "miracles" for its brand.
- Sharp brings giant 90in TV to Europe Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:53:44 GMT
- Sharp puts a record-sized TV on sale in Europe, but its 1080p resolution means owners will need a relatively large room to be able to watch it.
- Broadway buoyed by Tony success Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:17:29 GMT
- Eleven Broadway shows enjoy their most profitable week to date, with some earning more then $1m (£640,000) following success at the Tony Awards.
- Jackson promoters 'inappropriate' Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:08:55 GMT
- AEG's dealings with Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray were 'highly inappropriate', a music industry experts tells a US court.
- Older beetles 'make better dads' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 02:42:30 GMT
- Older male burying beetles work harder at parental care and mating than younger counterparts, a study suggests.
- Echoes reveal the shape of a room Tue, 18 Jun 2013 09:50:37 GMT
- The geometric shape of a room can be mapped using the echoes from a sound recorded by four microphones placed inside a room, research finds.