"What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is the collection of books."
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- VIDEO: 'I was rescued from migrant boat' Sat, 18 Apr 2015 08:58:35 GMT
- A 21-year-old student from Eritrea talks about his hopes for the future after being rescued from migrant boat bound for Italy.
- VIDEO: Spending the day queuing in Venezuela Fri, 17 Apr 2015 17:25:02 GMT
- Venezuela has the biggest oil reserves in the world, yet its economy is in crisis.
- VIDEO: Music and candles at Cologne service Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:52:27 GMT
- A memorial service for the victims of last month's Alps plane crash is being held in Cologne Cathedral.
- Three Republican 'colonels' plot their coup Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:04:01 GMT
- What do Senators Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Marco Rubio have in common? They're young, hungry and ready to be president - never mind the party establishment's wishes.
- High cost for Bangladesh war closure Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:37:19 GMT
- The reverberations of the Bangladeshi war of independence in 1971 are still creating big Islamic turmoil in the world’s third-most populous Muslim nation.
- Syria conflict: Fighting for a future for Yarmouk Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:28:28 GMT
- Is there a future for Syria's devastated Yarmouk camp?
- King of Clubs Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri: Saddam's ally and enforcer Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:25:00 GMT
- Profile of Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, Saddam Hussein's right-hand man, who later became a fugitive and a leading Sunni insurgent.
- How close is Greece to Grexit? Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:40:39 GMT
- If Greece fails to come to a deal with its eurozone partners on 24 April, how likely is it to default on its loans and perhaps leave the euro?
- Iraq: Growth of the Shia militia Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:26:42 GMT
- With the rise of Shia militia groups as a frontline force against Islamic State, Ranj Alaaldin explains how the phenomenon emerged.
- Tony Abbott filmed downing beer Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:44:40 GMT
- Footage has emerged of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott downing a large glass of beer in only seconds.
- Zebras roam free in Brussels Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:12:43 GMT
- Zebras running through the streets of Brussels is only the latest "animals at large" story to hit the headlines.
- Argentina acts over Falklands oil Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:32:59 GMT
- Argentina begins legal proceedings against three British and two US companies for drilling oil near the Falkland Islands.
- VW boss to stay despite divisions Fri, 17 Apr 2015 17:34:33 GMT
- The chief executive of Volkswagen, Martin Winterkorn, wins the backing of the company's top bosses, following a clash with the chairman.
- Zuckerberg defends Internet.org Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:37:09 GMT
- Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg defends the aims of his free Internet.org service after several Indian firms pull out of the project.
- 'Eternal' camera takes endless snaps Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:13:27 GMT
- A camera powered by the light it uses to take pictures has been invented by American scientists.