"If I have not read a book before, it is, for all intents and purposes, new to me whether it was printed yesterday or three hundred years ago."
—William Hazlitt (1778-1830) British essayist noted for literary criticism
- VIDEO: Helmet cam captures Chile blaze Thu, 17 Apr 2014 02:15:18 GMT
- New footage captured on firefighter helmet cameras has emerged showing the full extent of the deadly fires that swept through a town in western Chile.
- VIDEO: CCTV reveals dog as hunted car vandal Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:57:34 GMT
- A vandal responsible for puncturing more than two dozen vehicle tyres in a quiet Cumbrian village has been unmasked as a dog.
- VIDEO: NYPD shuts down Muslim 'spying' unit Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:50:56 GMT
- A secret New York Police Department programme designed to eavesdrop on Muslims to identify potential terrorism threats has been disbanded.
- VIDEO: UB40 gig 'made fan's ears bleed' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:54:09 GMT
- UB40 has denied causing a fan's ears to bleed at a gig in Cambridge on Monday.
- Royals vow return visit to Australia Thu, 17 Apr 2014 06:23:25 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge pledge to return to Australia's famous Blue Mountains, after visiting the area as part of a 10-day tour of the country.
- Cyborg glasses express fake emotions Wed, 16 Apr 2014 23:00:27 GMT
- A Japanese researcher creates glasses that show computer-generated eyes that express emotions so that the wearer does not need to bother.
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:22:54 GMT
- The latest international business headlines from BBC World News.
- VIDEO: Cyborg glasses mimic eye gestures Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:58:26 GMT
- A Japanese researcher shows off glasses that display computer-generated eyes, which express emotions to save their wearer the effort.
- Galaxy S5 fingerprint sensor hacked Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:08:54 GMT
- German security researchers say that a spoof fingerprint can be used to unlock Samsung's new handset and steal money.
- VIDEO: Will Jelly repeat Twitter's success? Wed, 16 Apr 2014 07:26:53 GMT
- Biz Stone discusses his new social app Jelly which he hopes will encourage people to help each other out.
- Paul Weller family win Mail damages Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:36:49 GMT
- Rock star Paul Weller wins £10,000 for his children after their pictures were "plastered" on the Mail Online.
- Bungie 'fires' Halo games composer Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:56:46 GMT
- The composer of the music featured in the original Halo video games says his job has been "terminated without cause" by developer Bungie.
- EU Sentinel returns first images Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:23:05 GMT
- The first images come back from the radar satellite launched as part of the European Union's new flagship Earth-observation project.
- Beard trend 'guided by evolution' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:56:03 GMT
- The boom and bust of men's beard fashions may mirror Darwinian selection, scientists say.
- Sensors to prevent pain for amputees Mon, 14 Apr 2014 23:41:59 GMT
- Researchers have developed a new type of pressure sensor - dubbed a "second skin" - which they say could prevent dangerous sores.