"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- VIDEO: Ukraine police try to regain control Tue, 10 Dec 2013 01:03:26 GMT
- Ukrainian police have begun moving against protesters in central Kiev, with some protest camps in front of government buildings dismantled. The BBC's Steve Rosenberg reports from the protest camps.
- VIDEO: Snow and freezing temperatures in US Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:02:28 GMT
- A deadly winter storm has caused several deaths in the US and is keeping much of the country blanketed in ice and snow.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:25:48 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Canada embarks on North Pole claim Tue, 10 Dec 2013 07:56:24 GMT
- Canada signals its intention to claim the North Pole and some of the surrounding Arctic waters on its Atlantic coast.
- VIDEO: Yellowcake stored in Libya Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:22:32 GMT
- The United Nations says nuclear inspectors will visit Libya to assess its uranium stockpiles, amid concerns about fragile security in the country.
- VIDEO: US flies AU peacekeepers into CAR Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:53:21 GMT
- The US military is to help fly African Union peacekeeping troops from Burundi into the Central African Republic, officials say.
- VIDEO: Inside the US Federal Reserve Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:10:16 GMT
- Simon Jack looks around the US central bank, the Federal Reserve, as it turns 100 this month.
- General Motors names new woman boss Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:46:39 GMT
- US car giant General Motors says Mary Barra, formerly product development chief, is its new chief executive, the first female boss for the company.
- New China data boosts recovery hopes Tue, 10 Dec 2013 07:15:44 GMT
- China's industrial output and retail sales rise in November, the latest in a series of signs suggesting a recovery in the world's second largest economy.
- China hackers 'hit EU ministries' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:08:04 GMT
- Chinese hackers targeted five European foreign ministries over the summer, a security company has said.
- Coach crash eye tracker tested Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:05:05 GMT
- Five European coach companies are testing eye tracking equipment as part of an experiment designed to prevent coach crashes.
- Garth Brooks to go on world tour Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:39:20 GMT
- US country singer Garth Brooks is to embark on a world tour, more than 10 years after he last hit the road.
- Authors call for 'digital rights' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:58:04 GMT
- Hundreds of authors write to the United Nations condemning the scale of state surveillance and urging it to create an international bill of digital rights.
- Mars rover goes after carbon clues Mon, 09 Dec 2013 23:50:43 GMT
- Nasa's Curiosity rover is modifying its exploration strategy to try to find evidence of the carbon chemistry that might inform the question of ancient life on Mars.
- Rare orchid rediscovered in Azores Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:01:16 GMT
- Europe's rarest species of orchid has been rediscovered on an island in the Azores, claim scientists.