"A book is a friend; a good book is a good friend. It will talk to you when you want it to talk, and it will keep still when you want it to keep still; and there are not many friends who know enough to do that."
—B. A. Billingsly
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 04 Mar 2015 22:02:38 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: The man who invented impressionism Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:34:45 GMT
- Will Gompertz takes a look at the Inventing Impressionism exhibition at The National Gallery.
- VIDEO: Boston bombing trial begins Wed, 04 Mar 2015 06:11:48 GMT
- The trial of the man Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, accused of planting bombs at the finishing line of the Boston marathon, begins in the Massachusetts state capital.
- VIDEO: 'Green supercar' unveiled in Geneva Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:51:55 GMT
- An "environmentally friendly" supercar has been unveiled at Geneva's International Motor Show.
- VIDEO: Chinese treasures stolen in France Mon, 02 Mar 2015 23:52:01 GMT
- More than a dozen artefacts have been stolen from a Chinese museum near Paris, including a replica of the King of Siam's crown that was given to Napoleon III.
- The lessons from Russia's latest killing Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:28:08 GMT
- The killing of Boris Nemtsov adds to the growing sense of unease about dark undercurrents in Russian politics, says Bridget Kendall.
- Could Clinton emails shake up 2016 race? Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:22:14 GMT
- Hillary Clinton relied exclusively on a personal email account during her time as secretary of state. Is this the kind of "unforced error" that could puncture her air of inevitability?
- Can regional force defeat Boko Haram? Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:56:37 GMT
- Thomas Fessy looks at whether the regional task force has a fighting chance against Nigeria's Boko Haram militant group.
- VIDEO: Ukraine's deadly mines - in 90 secs Wed, 04 Mar 2015 17:23:55 GMT
- Ukraine's latest mining disaster in Donetsk has claimed dozens of lives. But why are the country's mines so dangerous?
- VIDEO: China's military compared - 60 secs Wed, 04 Mar 2015 12:39:38 GMT
- China's defence budget is set to rise by about 10% in 2015 - here's a quick look at where that places it in the ranks of the world's biggest military spenders.
- Can Iraq's army dislodge Islamic State? Wed, 04 Mar 2015 06:38:36 GMT
- As the Iraqi army tries to dislodge Islamic State militants from Tikrit, Michael Knights looks at whether government troops and volunteer brigades are able take the bigger prize of Mosul.
- Sony VR helmet set for 2016 launch Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:44:28 GMT
- Sony unveils an upgraded version of its PlayStation virtual reality helmet, which it says will go on sale in the first half of 2016.
- Prince condemns illegal ivory trade Wed, 04 Mar 2015 11:02:43 GMT
- Prince William condemns illegal wildlife trading and calls for more international help in a speech on the final day of his tour of China.
- India surprises with second rate cut Wed, 04 Mar 2015 05:07:19 GMT
- The Reserve Bank of India cuts its key interest rate, in a surprise move for the second time this year.
- Oligarch given North Sea deadline Wed, 04 Mar 2015 19:52:01 GMT
- Russian oligarch Mikhail Fridman has seven days to convince the UK government not to force him to sell newly acquired oil and gas assets in the North Sea.