"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
—Deciderius Erasmus (1466?-1536) Dutch Renaissance scholar, theologian
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Thu, 31 Jul 2014 19:40:02 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: The rise and rise of video blogs Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:11:29 GMT
- Members of the 'millennial generation' are finding ways to earn a living from skills they learned not at school, but on social media.
- VIDEO: Louvre rat infestation shocks tourists Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:40:19 GMT
- The Louvre in Paris has called in pest controllers after an infestation of rats was spotted in the gallery's gardens.
- VIDEO: Star Wars comes to County Kerry Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:59:06 GMT
- Residents and tourists in Portmagee, County Kerry, are getting a taste of Hollywood as scenes for the new Star Wars film are shot on nearby island Skellig Michael.
- VIDEO: The challenge of tackling Ebola Wed, 30 Jul 2014 22:50:15 GMT
- Scientists have been aware of Ebola since the mid-1970s, but so far no vaccine or cure has been developed.
- 'Tolkien's tree' to get the chop Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:19:03 GMT
- A 215-year-old tree thought to have inspired JRR Tolkien during the author's time in Oxford is to be chopped down after two of its branches fell off.
- Broody octopus keeps four-year vigil Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:01:21 GMT
- A deep-sea octopus is observed nursing her eggs for more than four years - the longest brooding time seen in any animal.
- Euro prices deeper in 'danger zone' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:18:27 GMT
- The eurozone inflation rate falls by 0.4% in July, sliding further into what the European Central Bank describes as a "danger zone".
- Adidas warns on profits and Russia Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:56:12 GMT
- Adidas shares tumble after the sportswear maker issues a profit warning and says it will open fewer stores in Russia.
- Israeli Iron Dome firms 'hacked' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:44:33 GMT
- The BBC has seen evidence that appears to confirm hackers stole secret military documents from two Israeli government-owned companies.
- Dark net drugs ads have 'doubled' Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:01:15 GMT
- An investigation by the BBC indicates that the number of listings advertising illegal drugs sales on the dark net has doubled in less than a year.
- Met Opera in late union talks Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:20:31 GMT
- The Metropolitan Opera in New York says it hopes last minute negotiations with unions over a pay dispute will avoid a staff lockout.
- US TV producer Halmi dies aged 90 Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:54:17 GMT
- Prolific US television producer Robert Halmi Sr, whose work won dozens of Emmy Awards, dies at the age of 90.
- Dinosaurs 'shrank' to become birds Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:12:08 GMT
- Huge meat-eating, land-living dinosaurs evolved into birds by constantly shrinking for over 50 million years, new research shows.
- Minister wants end to animal testing Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:49:11 GMT
- Norman Baker - the minister in charge of regulating animal experiments - tells the BBC he wants them to end.