"I think a good novel would be where a bunch of men on a ship are looking for a whale. They look and look, but you know what? They never find him. And you know why they never find him? It doesn't say. The book leaves it up to you, the reader, to decide. Then, at the very end, there's a page you can lick and it tastes like Kool-Aid."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Somali musician-MP is shot dead Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:20:26 GMT
- Popular Somali musician and member of parliament Saado Ali Warsame is shot dead in the capital, Mogadishu, by Islamist militants.
- Commonwealth edged out of Booker Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:44:42 GMT
- Commonwealth writers are sidelined from the Booker Prize longlist with US authors, including Joshua Ferris and Richard Powers, included for the first time.
- Glasgow ready for 2014 Games opening Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:45:04 GMT
- The Queen will formally open the 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in front of a 40,000 crowd at Celtic Park.
- VIDEO: Rodriguez hugs fan who invades pitch Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:59:53 GMT
- Colombian football star James Rodriguez hugged a fan who invaded the pitch as he was presented as a new player for Real Madrid.
- VIDEO: Peaches Geldof died of heroin overdose Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:29:58 GMT
- Peaches Geldof died of a heroin overdose, a coroner rules.
- VIDEO: Amur leopards born at zoo Wed, 23 Jul 2014 07:05:37 GMT
- Two rare Amur leopard cubs have been born at Twycross Zoo in Leicestershire.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:47:27 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Time-lapse shows Costa on move Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:24:33 GMT
- Time-lapse footage shows the wrecked Italian cruise ship, the Costa Concordia, being towed on its final journey to the port of Genoa for scrapping.
- VIDEO: Drones overhead on streets of Gaza Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:23:32 GMT
- The United Nations says about 102,000 displaced people are now using shelters across Gaza as the Israeli offensive continues. Those who have stayed are adjusting to the sounds and sights of conflict, as Yolande Knell reports from Gaza.
- VIDEO: Relatives mourn Israeli soldier deaths Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:41:42 GMT
- Relatives of soldiers killed in Israel in the on-going fighting with Palestinians have spoken to the BBC as the UN secretary-general calls for an end to the conflict.
- VIDEO: The Commonwealth Games in 60 seconds Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:12:00 GMT
- As the Commonwealth Games kick off in Glasgow, the BBC explains the background to the action - in 60 seconds.
- Polar bear 'too old' for Canada move Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:42:35 GMT
- An elderly, "depressed" polar bear is to stay in Argentina because he is too old, a zoo decides, rejecting a petition to move him to Canada.
- Video teasing North Korean leader goes viral Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:58:51 GMT
- Millions watch video poking fun at Kim Jong-un.
- Boeing profits from sales boost Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:03:51 GMT
- US aerospace giant Boeing earnings rise 52%, boosted by a "strong" quarter for commercial aircraft sales.
- Glaxo profits fall hits shares Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:19:57 GMT
- GlaxoSmithKline shares fall 6% as the drugs company's profits are hit by a slide in sales and a bribery investigation in China.