"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves."
—Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) British writer, A Room with a View
- VIDEO: Serial: Cult podcast grips audiences Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:14:28 GMT
- In the age of "binge-watching" programmes, a US podcast series is gripping audiences around the world who are hooked on its weekly instalments.
- VIDEO: Inside a haunted house in Louisiana Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:57:47 GMT
- It's Halloween and nowhere is it celebrated more than in the US. The BBC Pop Up team went behind the scenes at one of America's scariest haunted houses in Baton Rouge.
- VIDEO: Baby pandas wrestle with their keeper Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:23:55 GMT
- A breeder in China's Chendgu province was trying to give these two baby pandas medicine instead of their usual bamboo leaves- and they were having none of it.
- VIDEO: The dancers who light up the stage Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:12:14 GMT
- The Japanese dance group using wearable technology to lighten up their act.
- VIDEO: Wong's journey from Hollywood to Asia Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:38:10 GMT
- China's box office has been raking in more than $3bn since last year, which is why Hollywood actor Russell Wong finds himself working more in Asia than in LA.
- How much can UK campaign hurt IS? Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:12:03 GMT
- The UK has signed up to limited strategic military action in Iraq against Islamic State - and there are questions over its ability to do much more, says Jonathan Marcus.
- Fashion challenge for Apple's Ive Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:13:32 GMT
- Can Apple design guru Jony Ive turn the smartwatch into a hit?
- The price of peace in Colombia Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:19:17 GMT
- As peace talks between the Colombian government and Farc rebels enter their third year, Vanessa Buschschluter asks what a peaceful Colombia would look like.
- VIDEO: What happened to TV cameras in court? Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:18:07 GMT
- It has been one year since TV cameras started rolling in the Court of Appeal. But what has happened since? Legal Correspondent Clive Coleman investigates.
- Pompeii relic returned 50 years on Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:26:40 GMT
- A woman from Canada hands back a stolen piece of the ruins of Pompeii more than 50 years after she put it into her bag.
- French town bans clowns after scares Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:08:23 GMT
- French town bans clowns after violent incidents
- Russia raises interest rates to 9.5% Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:32:56 GMT
- Russia's central bank raises interest rates to 9.5% from 8%, a much bigger rise than expected, as it seeks to combat inflation.
- BOJ boosts monetary stimulus measure Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:34:29 GMT
- Japan's central bank, the Bank of Japan, surprises markets by announcing an expansion of its monetary stimulus policy.
- Pirate Bay founder gets jail term Thu, 30 Oct 2014 16:52:50 GMT
- Pirate Bay co-founder Gottfrid Warg sentenced to three-and-half years in prison after being found guilty of hacking into Danish computers.
- Millions hit in Drupal hack attack Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:30:59 GMT
- Software firm Drupal warns millions to "assume" they have been hacked if they have not applied a patch for a recently discovered bug.