"Never read a book that is not a year old."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:38:41 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: UB40 gig 'made fan's ears bleed' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:54:09 GMT
- UB40 has denied causing a fan's ears to bleed at a gig in Cambridge on Monday.
- VIDEO: Clashes erupt at al-Aqsa mosque Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:55:12 GMT
- Palestinian protesters clash with Israeli riot police near the al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem.
- VIDEO: Royal joke on baby prince's first word Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:13:26 GMT
- The Duke of Cambridge has described Australia as a "beacon of confidence" as he and his family began the next leg of their Antipodean tour.
- VIDEO: The end of the beard is nigh Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:05:32 GMT
- The end of the beard is nigh - not according to fashion stylists, but to evolutionary biologists.
- William praises Australia on visit Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:15:05 GMT
- The Duke of Cambridge brands Australia a "beacon of confidence" as he and his family begin the next leg of their Antipodean tour.
- Beard trend 'guided by evolution' Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:56:03 GMT
- The boom and bust of men's beard fashions may mirror Darwinian selection, scientists say.
- China's 7.4% growth beats forecast Wed, 16 Apr 2014 04:38:37 GMT
- China's economy expanded by 7.4% in the first quarter of the year, better than expected but down from 7.7% at the end of 2013.
- Court clears ex-Anglo bank boss Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:46:48 GMT
- The former chairman of Anglo Irish bank has been found not guilty of illegally supporting the bank's share price, the jury continues to deliberate in the case against two others.
- Galaxy S5 fingerprint sensor hacked Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:08:54 GMT
- German security researchers say that a spoof fingerprint can be used to unlock Samsung's new handset and steal money.
- Bungie 'fires' Halo games composer Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:56:46 GMT
- The composer of the music featured in the original Halo video games says his job has been "terminated without cause" by developer Bungie.
- Paul Weller family win Mail damages Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:36:49 GMT
- Rock star Paul Weller wins £10,000 for his children after their pictures were "plastered" on the Mail Online.
- Men 'giving up' books to go online Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:54:48 GMT
- A new study finds men prefer to watch film adaptations than read the original book, with 30% admitting they have not read a book since school.
- EU Sentinel returns first images Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:23:05 GMT
- The first images come back from the radar satellite launched as part of the European Union's new flagship Earth-observation project.
- Early air points to cold, dry Mars Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:23:21 GMT
- Scientists have worked out the characteristics of the air on Mars 3.6 billion years ago.