"We should get into the habit of reading inspirational books, looking at inspirational pictures, hearing inspirational music, associating with inspirational friends."
—Alfred A. Montapert
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:39:26 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Millionaires search Med for migrants Thu, 28 Aug 2014 23:02:35 GMT
- A philanthropist couple have launched what they say is the world's first privately funded boat to help migrants in trouble at sea.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.
- VIDEO: Brad and Angelina marry in France Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:49:55 GMT
- Hollywood stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have married in France, a spokesman confirms.
- VIDEO: Litter bug mountaineers 'must recycle' Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:01:55 GMT
- Over the decades tonnes of disposed tents, spent oxygen cylinders and bottles have been left behind on Mount Everest by people trying to scale it. Now authorities are urging them to bring the waste back down with them to recycle it.
- N Korea retracts cheerleader offer Fri, 29 Aug 2014 06:49:06 GMT
- North Korea retracts a decision to send cheerleaders to South Korea for the Asian Games, accusing Seoul of quibbling over details.
- Indian elephant creates own art Fri, 29 Aug 2014 05:08:43 GMT
- Paintings by an Indian elephant go on sale at a gallery in the capital, Delhi, to help raise money to protect the endangered animals.
- Japan's economy signals weakness Fri, 29 Aug 2014 04:11:54 GMT
- Japan's economy shows signs of stagnation and weakness as households spent less and factory output stays flat in July.
- Tesco shares drop on profit warning Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:30:58 GMT
- Shares in the struggling supermarket Tesco fall to an 11-year low after the group cut its profit forecast and dividend.
- Google trials drone deliveries Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:00:23 GMT
- Google reveals it has built and tested its own drones as part of a plan to make automated deliveries to remote homes as well as disaster-hit zones.
- 2.6m historic pictures posted online Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:18:35 GMT
- An academic is posting millions of historic photos and illustrations to Flickr where they can be searched and copied without charge.
- Belafonte to receive honorary Oscar Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:26:52 GMT
- US actor and singer Harry Belafonte is to be honoured by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences.
- Australian actor Bill Kerr dies Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:44:06 GMT
- Australian actor Bill Kerr, "the boy from Wagga Wagga" who became one of Tony Hancock's radio sidekicks in the 1950s, dies in Perth at the age of 92.
- DNA tells story of Arctic peopling Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:52:20 GMT
- A study of genetic sequences sheds light on the settling of the North American Arctic, from ancient "Paleo-Eskimos" to the modern-day Inuit.
- Genetic clues to spread of Ebola Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:00:20 GMT
- Scientists have tracked the spread of Ebola in West Africa, revealing genetic clues to the course of the outbreak.