"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 20 Aug 2014 03:43:56 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Kenya's forgotten WW1 heroes Tue, 19 Aug 2014 01:37:33 GMT
- The BBC's Emmanuel Igunza investigates the role of Kenyan soldiers in World War One
- VIDEO: Docks transformed for Alice film Mon, 18 Aug 2014 22:12:39 GMT
- Gloucester Docks is converted into a film set for the sequel to Alice in Wonderland.
- VIDEO: Tim Vine wins 'funniest joke' award Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:41:24 GMT
- Comedian Tim Vine talks to BBC Breakfast about winning the funniest joke at Edinburgh festival and why he thinks being funny 'isn't rocket science'.
- VIDEO: Besson makes Scarlett superhuman Mon, 18 Aug 2014 23:16:30 GMT
- French film director Luc Besson talks about his new science fiction thriller called Lucy, starring Scarlett Johansson
- Tree-hugging snakes put safety first Tue, 19 Aug 2014 23:32:32 GMT
- For the first time, biologists measure the force applied by climbing snakes and find that they squeeze up to five times harder than necessary.
- US Navy: WW2 wreck found in Java Sea Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:23:11 GMT
- The US Navy confirms a wreck on the bottom of the Java sea is the USS Houston, sunk by the Japanese in World War Two with as many as 700 men aboard.
- Standard Chartered fined in US Wed, 20 Aug 2014 01:47:22 GMT
- British bank Standard Chartered has agreed to pay $300m to New York's top banking regulator for failing to improve money laundering controls.
- Japanese exports rebound in July Wed, 20 Aug 2014 05:43:14 GMT
- Exports from Japan show a surprise pick-up in July, reigniting hopes of growth for the world's third largest economy.
- HTC unveils cheaper Windows M8 phone Tue, 19 Aug 2014 15:33:35 GMT
- The handset maker HTC has unveiled a new smartphone that runs a Windows Phone operating system - the first in more than two years.
- Google cars 'designed to speed' Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:56:27 GMT
- Google's driverless cars are programmed to occasionally exceed speed limits by up to 10mph, says the project's lead engineer.
- Reynolds to receive lifetime honour Tue, 19 Aug 2014 07:32:18 GMT
- Veteran screen star Debbie Reynolds is to be given a lifetime achievement award by the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), the organisation announces.
- Bush requests no photos at concerts Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:08:34 GMT
- Singer Kate Bush requests fans do not take any photographs or record footage using mobile devices at her upcoming live concerts.
- Camouflage sheet inspired by octopus Mon, 18 Aug 2014 22:23:25 GMT
- Basing their work on the techniques used by octopuses and cuttlefish, US engineers have produced a flexible, colour-changing material.
- Iceland raises volcano alert level Mon, 18 Aug 2014 19:06:56 GMT
- The risk of an eruption at Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano has increased, as well as the risk level to the aviation industry, meteorologists say.