"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- VIDEO: 'I closed my shop on police advice' Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:28:20 GMT
- Sharif Danis, a shopkeeper from Nigeria, tells the BBC's Milton Nkosi how the threat of mob attacks forced him to close down his business in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- VIDEO: Journalist jailed for 'sharing secrets' Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:15:06 GMT
- A prominent Chinese journalist, Gau Yu, has been sentenced to seven years in prison for allegedly leaking an internal Communist Party memo.
- VIDEO: Zebras crossing Brussels roads Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:12:09 GMT
- Zebras went on the loose in Brussels but were soon captured
- VIDEO: Lorry full of bees overturns in US Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:49:29 GMT
- A lorry carrying honeybees overturned in the US state of Washington, spewing bees across a motorway.
- VIDEO: Inside Ukraine plant hit by rockets Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:34:07 GMT
- The BBC's Tom Burridge visits a coking plant in Avdiivka where production has rapidly declined due to the conflict in Ukraine
- Three Republican 'colonels' plot their coup Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:04:01 GMT
- What do Senators Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Marco Rubio have in common? They're young, hungry and ready to be president - never mind the party establishment's wishes.
- High cost for Bangladesh war closure Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:37:19 GMT
- The reverberations of the Bangladeshi war of independence in 1971 are still creating big Islamic turmoil in the world’s third-most populous Muslim nation.
- Britain’s foreign policy calculations Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:01:39 GMT
- China is keeping Britain on its toes in the global race to capture China's attention.
- King of Clubs Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri: Saddam's ally and enforcer Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:25:00 GMT
- Profile of Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, Saddam Hussein's right-hand man, who later became a fugitive and a leading Sunni insurgent.
- How close is Greece to Grexit? Fri, 17 Apr 2015 00:40:39 GMT
- If Greece fails to come to a deal with its eurozone partners on 24 April, how likely is it to default on its loans and perhaps leave the euro?
- Iraq: Growth of the Shia militia Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:26:42 GMT
- With the rise of Shia militia groups as a frontline force against Islamic State, Ranj Alaaldin explains how the phenomenon emerged.
- Zebras roam free in Brussels Fri, 17 Apr 2015 19:12:43 GMT
- Zebras running through the streets of Brussels is only the latest "animals at large" story to hit the headlines.
- Airline launching Star Wars plane Fri, 17 Apr 2015 06:26:19 GMT
- Star Wars plane being launched by All Nippon Airways later this year ahead of the release of The Force Awakens.
- VW boss to stay despite divisions Fri, 17 Apr 2015 17:34:33 GMT
- The chief executive of Volkswagen, Martin Winterkorn, wins the backing of the company's top bosses, following a clash with the chairman.
- Record £6bn order for Rolls-Royce Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:00:58 GMT
- Rolls-Royce receives its largest order to date, worth £6.1bn ($9.2bn), to supply engines for Emirates airline A380 planes.