"There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- VIDEO: Many Islamabad state schools closed Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:18:22 GMT
- Weeks after the start of term, many state schools in the capital, Islamabad, are still closed, after being taken over by police drafted in to deal with ongoing political protests.
- VIDEO: Potter star launches equality campaign Mon, 22 Sep 2014 14:27:02 GMT
- Actress Emma Watson launches a global UN campaign to get 100,000 men and boys involved in the fight to achieve gender equality.
- VIDEO: Ghani on becoming Afghan president Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:28:59 GMT
- Ashraf Ghani has said people in Afghanistan "demonstrated a remarkable will for wanting transformation" during this election.
- VIDEO: Climate change in global spotlight Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:36:18 GMT
- Street protests demanding urgent action on climate change have attracted hundreds of thousands of marchers in more than 2,000 locations worldwide.
- Jack Ma heads China rich list Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:37:52 GMT
- Alibaba founder Jack Ma is China's richest person following his company's record listing, according to a wealth survey by the Hurun Report.
- Cape Town shuts pro-gay mosque Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:54:47 GMT
- A gay-friendly mosque opened in Cape Town last week is closed because it does not have any parking spaces, a South African official tells the BBC.
- Eurozone growth 'slows in September' Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:57:36 GMT
- Eurozone business growth cooled again in September, with activity expanding at its slowest pace since December, a closely-watched survey indicates.
- Probe into Tesco's South Korea brand Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:13:42 GMT
- Homeplus, Tesco's South Korean brand and its biggest outside the UK, is under investigation over the handling of customer data.
- eBay criticised as hacks continue Mon, 22 Sep 2014 13:58:27 GMT
- Leading security researchers call on eBay to take immediate action over dangerous listings - as more security problems arise.
- Museum reunites Colossus veterans Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:56:14 GMT
- The largest gathering of veterans who operated the Colossus code-cracking computer in World War II has been held at Bletchley Park.
- Singer to direct new X-Men outing Tue, 23 Sep 2014 08:36:02 GMT
- Film-maker Bryan Singer is to direct X-Men: Apocalypse, the next movie in the long-running blockbuster franchise.
- Manics to tour The Holy Bible Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:24:42 GMT
- The Manic Street Preachers confirm they will play their fans' favourite 1994 album The Holy Bible live in full for the first time.
- Brian Cox: 'Multiverse' makes sense Tue, 23 Sep 2014 07:42:36 GMT
- The presenter and physicist Brian Cox says he supports the idea that many universes may exist.
- Cosmic study 'underestimated' dust Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:04:26 GMT
- Scientists who claimed to have found evidence for a cosmic super-expansion just after the Big Bang underestimated a key confounding factor in their research, according to a new analysis.
- NHS staff volunteer for Ebola effort Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:00:50 GMT
- More than 160 NHS staff have volunteered to be part of the UK efforts to help in the Ebola crisis in West Africa.