"Every artist wants his work to be permanent. But what is? The Aswan Dam covered some of the greatest art in the world. Venice is sinking. Great books and pictures were lost in the Florence floods. In the meantime we still enjoy butterflies."
- VIDEO: The city hoping to be independent state Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:06:02 GMT
- Steve Rosenberg visits two cities in rebel held Ukraine which will be boycotting the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:38:20 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Pistorius: The unanswered questions Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:32:44 GMT
- South African athlete Oscar Pistorius begins serving time in jail, after being sentenced for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
- VIDEO: Paralysed man walks after cell surgery Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:27:42 GMT
- A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.
- AUDIO: Nigeria's vibrant media industry Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:37:15 GMT
- How Nigeria's media industry could become one of the world's most vibrant
- VIDEO: Halal lipstick launches in India Tue, 21 Oct 2014 04:49:00 GMT
- Religious women in India who want to wear make-up no longer have to struggle to find products that suit their faith.
- U-boat found with ship it sank Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:44:55 GMT
- U-boat found off US coast with ship it sank
- Slumbering lions win top photo prize Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:24:49 GMT
- Slumbering lions win top photo prize
- Boeing raises annual profit forecast Wed, 22 Oct 2014 13:51:42 GMT
- Aerospace giant Boeing has raised its forecast for profits this year and says it has a record backlog of orders.
- Total names new heads after boss dies Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:51:58 GMT
- Oil giant Total appoints a new chief executive and new chairman to replace Christophe de Margerie who died in a plane crash in Moscow on Monday.
- Nasa shares free sounds from space Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:23:13 GMT
- The US space agency uploads a free library of audio files, including astronaut voices.
- Microsoft to phase out Nokia name Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:44:18 GMT
- Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand name from new devices, less than a year after acquiring the Finnish mobile firm.
- Bush calls comeback 'extraordinary' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:11:13 GMT
- Singer Kate Bush says her recent run of 22 comeback concerts was "one of the most extraordinary experiences" of her life.
- S Club reunite for Children in Need Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:42:31 GMT
- Pop group S Club 7 are to reunite for the first time in more than a decade for the BBC's Children in Need next month.
- Physics reveals how nature sparkles Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:15:57 GMT
- Researchers reveal that the same physical mechanism is behind many of nature's most dazzling shines.