"I am sure of this, that by going much alone a man will get more of a noble courage in thought and word than from all the wisdom that is in books."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Space project continues - Branson Sat, 01 Nov 2014 06:17:37 GMT
- Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson vows to continue his space tourism venture despite the SpaceShipTwo craft crashing in the US, killing a pilot.
- Power struggle in Burkina Faso Sat, 01 Nov 2014 04:25:28 GMT
- A split emerges within Burkina Faso's armed forces over who is leading the country following the resignation of President Blaise Campaore.
- Funeral of murdered SA footballer Sat, 01 Nov 2014 04:33:29 GMT
- Tens of thousands of mourners are expected to attend the funeral of murdered South African football captain Senzo Meyiwa in Durban.
- Boko Haram denies ceasefire claim Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:38:43 GMT
- Militant group Boko Haram denies claims by Nigeria's government that it has agreed to a ceasefire and will release 219 abducted girls.
- Australia marks Anzac centenary Sat, 01 Nov 2014 07:14:14 GMT
- Thousands gather in the Australian town of Albany to mark the centenary of the departure of the first Anzac troops in World War One.
- Quarantine victory for US Ebola nurse Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:23:48 GMT
- A judge in the US rules in favour of a nurse fighting a state quarantine order issued because she treated Ebola patients in West Africa.
- Iraqi Kurds 'in Kobane to fight IS' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:28:20 GMT
- Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga fighters cross the Turkish border to help defend the Syrian town of Kobane from Islamic State militants.
- Uruguay registers cannabis growers Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:45:54 GMT
- The Uruguayan government announces the start of registration for licensed cannabis growers as part of its plan to legalise the drug.
- US shares close at record levels Fri, 31 Oct 2014 21:55:04 GMT
- The Dow and S&P 500 close at record levels, helped by a surprise move by the Bank of Japan to boost its stimulus measures.
- China makes 'biggest cash haul' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:53:19 GMT
- Anti-corruption investigators in China confirm the finding of the equivalent of $33m in cash at an official's home - the biggest such haul to date.
- Mexico orders release of US marine Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:17:02 GMT
- A US marine imprisoned in Mexico for driving a vehicle loaded with firearms across the border is released after eight months.
- Kenyan Jeptoo fails doping test Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:36:27 GMT
- Marathon runner Rita Jeptoo becomes the latest athlete from Kenya to fail a doping test, the country's athletics body confirm.
- VIDEO: Hello Kitty shrine in Singapore Sat, 01 Nov 2014 01:38:16 GMT
- The BBC's Lucas de Jong found one place in Singapore where interior designer Terry Goh has spent seven years making Hello Kitty the centre of attention.
- VIDEO: Prototype flying car shown off Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:18:17 GMT
- BBC Click looks at some of the week's technology highlights, including a flying car and electric rollerskates.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 01 Nov 2014 05:34:31 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.