"Critics are by no means the end of the law. Do not think all is over with you because you articles are rejected. It may be that the editor has his drawer full, or that he does not know enough to appreciate you, or you have not gained a reputation, or he is not in a mood to be pleased. A critic's judgment is like that of any intelligent person. If he has experience, he is capable of judging whether a book will sell. That is all."
—Lavina Goodell Junior editor, Harper's Bazaar
- Greece shuns debt talks with troika Fri, 30 Jan 2015 18:25:43 GMT
- Greece's new finance minister snubs his main eurozone counterpart, saying Athens will not negotiate over debts with the EU-IMF troika.
- Battle rages for key Ukraine town Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:02:47 GMT
- Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian rebels trade heavy tank and artillery fire in and around Debaltseve, a strategic town in eastern Ukraine.
- Romney won't run in 2016 election Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:22:52 GMT
- Mitt Romney, the Republican beaten by President Obama in the US 2012 election, has decided he will not run for president again.
- SA apartheid assassin given parole Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:35:29 GMT
- South African apartheid-era death squad commander Eugene de Kock, nicknamed "Prime Evil", gets parole after 20 years for killing activists.
- Churches oppose three-person babies Fri, 30 Jan 2015 18:26:06 GMT
- Senior church figures call on the government to block the creation of so-called three-person babies, but scientists urge MPs to back a law change.
- Pakistan mosque blast kills dozens Fri, 30 Jan 2015 15:16:21 GMT
- A bomb blast at a Shia mosque in southern Pakistan kills at least 40 people and injures many more, officials say.
- Saudis shelve blogger flogging again Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:59:12 GMT
- Saudi Arabia postpones for a second time a further round of flogging against blogger Raif Badawi, whose case caused a global outcry.
- Korean Air chief 'scolded daughter' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:00:21 GMT
- The chief of Korean Air tells a court in Seoul that he scolded his 40-year-old daughter over her now notorious reaction to being served nuts in a packet.
- Sisi cuts short visit over Sinai Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:36:42 GMT
- Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi cuts short a visit to an African Union summit to deal with attacks that killed at least 32 in the Sinai peninsula.
- Skeleton sacks baffle India police Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:35:39 GMT
- Dozens of skeletons and decayed body parts are discovered in sacks in a disused room of an Indian police building, baffling the authorities.
- Suge Knight arrested for US murder Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:43:21 GMT
- Death Row Records founder Suge Knight is being held on a murder charge by police after a fatal hit-and-run.
- AUDIO: 'I lost £18m lottery win by 7 seconds' Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:25:22 GMT
- A Canadian man has lost a seven-year legal battle to claim half of a C$27m (£18m) lottery jackpot after the Supreme Court ruled he had bought the winning ticket a few seconds too late for it to qualify.
- VIDEO: The Tibetan monk with 170 children Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:19:47 GMT
- A Tibetan Buddhist monk took in 33 orphans after an earthquake in 2010 - now he is looking after 170 children.
- VIDEO: The 11m 'ghost' residents of the US Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:42:04 GMT
- New legislation in the United States aims to allow some undocumented immigrants to stay in the US and apply for work permits but many are afraid to admit their status.