"If I ever do a book on the Amazon, I hope I am able to bring a certain lightheartedness to the subject, in a way that will tell the reader we are going to have fun with this thing."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- MH17 identification process begins Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:46:59 GMT
- Experts begin trying to identify the victims of the MH17 plane crash, as Dutch officials say only 200 bodies have arrived from the crash site.
- UN chief: 'Start talking' over Gaza Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:22:48 GMT
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon pushes for an end to the Gaza conflict with a call in Israel for both sides to "start talking".
- Airlines halt flights into Israel Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:56:34 GMT
- US and European airlines suspend flights into Israel's Ben Gurion airport after Israeli police confirmed that a rocket landed one mile away.
- Poisoned spy death inquiry announced Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:20:31 GMT
- The government announces a public inquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko, the former KGB officer poisoned with radioactive polonium in London.
- Call to end FGM 'in this generation' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:19:05 GMT
- Parents face prosecution in the UK if they fail to prevent daughters undergoing female genital mutilation or forced marriage, under new measures.
- Joko Widodo wins Indonesia poll Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:41:18 GMT
- Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo has been declared the winner of Indonesia's hotly-contested presidential election.
- US courts conflict on Obamacare law Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:47:45 GMT
- Two US appeals courts give conflicting rulings regarding a federal regulation implementing key subsidies of President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.
- 'Foreigners' killed in Kabul attack Tue, 22 Jul 2014 08:50:21 GMT
- A suicide bomber outside Kabul airport kills at least one Afghan and at least three foreign security guards, officials say.
- Nigerian leader vows to free girls Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:55:19 GMT
- Nigeria's president tells parents of the girls abducted by militant Islamists that the government is doing everything to secure their release.
- Turkish police held in wiretap probe Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:13:39 GMT
- At least 67 Turkish police are arrested on suspicion of wire-tapping linked to a corruption inquiry targeting the prime minister's inner circle.
- Children dead in French bus crash Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:30:36 GMT
- Five children and an adult are killed in a minibus crash near the French city of Troyes, south-east of Paris, officials say.
- Queen's horse positive for morphine Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:45:07 GMT
- Estimate, a racehorse owned by the Queen, has tested positive for the prohibited substance morphine.
- VIDEO: 'Miracle' survivor of Gaza blast Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:57:48 GMT
- UN officials say more than 100,000 people have been forced to take shelter in UN buildings in Gaza because of the violence - double the number of the Gaza conflict five years ago.
- VIDEO: Gaza 'terror tunnels' - in 60 secs Mon, 21 Jul 2014 17:08:20 GMT
- Israel sent ground troops into Gaza on Thursday, saying the ground operation is necessary to target Hamas' network of tunnels.
- VIDEO: 'I was forced to marry a stranger' Tue, 22 Jul 2014 06:22:50 GMT
- BBC News hears from a 17-year-old in Zambia who was forced into marriage against her will.