"It does not matter how many books you have, but how good the books are which you have."
—Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC?-AD 65) [The Younger] Roman Stoic philosopher, writer, tutor
- Missing airliner 'changed course' Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:14:07 GMT
- Military radar suggests the missing Malaysian airliner turned west, away from its planned route, before disappearing, Malaysia's air force says.
- Kerry rejects Putin Ukraine meeting Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:00:48 GMT
- US Secretary of State John Kerry rejects an offer of talks with President Vladimir Putin on Ukraine until he engages with proposals to end the crisis.
- Pistorius had 'big love for guns' Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:04:01 GMT
- Oscar Pistorius had a 'big love for guns', a friend tells his murder trial as he describes two firearms incidents involving the Paralympic athlete.
- Clashes after Turkey coma boy dies Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:39:23 GMT
- Clashes erupt outside a Turkish hospital where a teenager has died, nine months after he was hit on the head during anti-government protests.
- Five million Syrian children in need Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:59:25 GMT
- The number of Syrian children in need has more than doubled in the past year to 5.5 million, the United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) says.
- New Zealand to vote on flag change Tue, 11 Mar 2014 03:51:00 GMT
- New Zealand is to hold a referendum on whether to change the 'post-colonial' national flag, Prime Minister John Key announces.
- Colorado reaps $2m in marijuana tax Tue, 11 Mar 2014 02:15:32 GMT
- The US state of Colorado says it collected more than $2m in the first round of tax payments from newly legalised marijuana businesses.
- India Maoists kill 16 policemen Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:24:44 GMT
- Maoist rebels kill at least 16 policemen in an ambush in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh, police say.
- South Sudan 'coup plotters' in court Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:02:44 GMT
- Four top South Sudanese politicians go on trial on charges of treason after being accused of plotting a coup against the government.
- Mt Gox wins US bankruptcy protection Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:57:05 GMT
- Mt Gox, the troubled Japanese bitcoin exchange, wins bankruptcy protection to temporarily halt US legal action alleging fraud.
- RMT union leader Bob Crow dies Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:05:28 GMT
- General secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union Bob Crow dies aged 52 of a suspected heart attack.
- Elephants recognise human voices Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:40:14 GMT
- Elephants are able to work out ethnicity, gender and age from the sound of a human voice, according to a study.
- VIDEO: Upbeat mood in Tehran bazaar Tue, 11 Mar 2014 06:53:07 GMT
- The BBC's Lyse Doucet talks to shoppers in a bazaar in North Tehran about their hopes for the future.
- VIDEO: 'Where is this plane?' ask relatives Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:58:11 GMT
- The BBC's John Sudworth speaks to family members waiting for news of their missing relatives who were on board Flight MH370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
- VIDEO: OJ to Pistorius, 20 years of TV trials Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:40:40 GMT
- What is the impact of showing court cases on television? Alastair Leithead looks at some high profile cases.