"'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations?'"
—Lewis Carroll (1832-98) [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] British mathematician, writer
- Russia restricts Nemtsov mourners Tue, 03 Mar 2015 09:45:27 GMT
- Several EU politicians and Russia's opposition leader are barred from attending the funeral of murdered Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov.
- Obama seeks long Iran nuclear freeze Tue, 03 Mar 2015 08:23:40 GMT
- The US president says Iran should freeze nuclear activity for 10 years, ahead of a controversial Washington speech by Israel's prime minister.
- Coffee linked to 'cleaner' arteries Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:08:56 GMT
- Drinking a few cups of coffee a day may help people avoid clogged arteries - a known risk factor for heart disease - South Korean researchers believe.
- Emwazi tape: I'm no extremist Tue, 03 Mar 2015 11:05:51 GMT
- A recording emerges in which the Islamic State fighter Mohammed Emwazi, known as Jihadi John, denied being an extremist.
- Chile's Villarica volcano erupts Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:23:31 GMT
- The Villarica volcano, one of the most active in South America, erupts in southern Chile, spewing ash and lava into the air.
- 'Cloudy' drug halts US execution Tue, 03 Mar 2015 06:42:06 GMT
- The execution of the first woman in Georgia in 70 years is postponed because the drug that was to be used appeared "cloudy", US officials say.
- Canadian 'missing in North Korea' Tue, 03 Mar 2015 02:39:22 GMT
- A pastor from a Canadian church has failed to return from a humanitarian visit to North Korea, an official from his church says.
- 'Attractive jihadists lure UK girls' Tue, 03 Mar 2015 00:58:06 GMT
- "Attractive" jihadist fighters can be "eye candy" to lure in British Muslim girls, a woman who was radicalised online tells BBC Newsnight.
- 'Monitoring deal' on Ukraine truce Tue, 03 Mar 2015 04:37:30 GMT
- Ukrainian, Russian, French and German leaders agree to send observers to areas of Ukraine where truce violations are reported, Kiev says.
- $80m for Sierra Leone to fight Ebola Tue, 03 Mar 2015 09:58:54 GMT
- The International Monetary Fund says Sierra Leone is to receive more than $80m (£52m) immediately to help the country overcome the Ebola outbreak.
- Homeless man 'reached for LAPD gun' Mon, 02 Mar 2015 23:21:33 GMT
- The Los Angeles police chief says a homeless man shot dead by police had reached for an officer's weapon before being killed.
- US told to cut 80 Caracas diplomats Tue, 03 Mar 2015 01:06:48 GMT
- Venezuela orders the United States to cut more than 80 staff from its diplomatic mission in the next two weeks.
- VIDEO: Chinese treasures stolen in France Mon, 02 Mar 2015 23:52:01 GMT
- More than a dozen artefacts have been stolen from a Chinese museum near Paris, including a replica of the King of Siam's crown that was given to Napoleon III.
- VIDEO: BBC retraces Selma rights march Mon, 02 Mar 2015 21:57:15 GMT
- America is closing in on the 50th anniversary of one of the seminal moments of the country's civil rights movement, the march from Selma to Montgomery.
- VIDEO: Japan seeks to reboot innovation Mon, 02 Mar 2015 20:39:49 GMT
- Mariko Oi reports from Japan on the country's quest to rediscover its innovative spirit with "game-changing" products.