"Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them in: but as a rule the purchase of books is mistaken for the appropriation of their contents."
—Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860) German philosopher, believed will to live is fundamental reality
- Hong Kong set for holiday protests Wed, 01 Oct 2014 00:18:13 GMT
- Pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong prepare for what they hope will be the biggest rallies in their campaign so far, as China marks National Day.
- First Ebola case diagnosed in the US Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:36:50 GMT
- A man who travelled from Liberia nearly two weeks ago is the first confirmed case of the deadly Ebola virus diagnosed on American soil.
- Microsoft unveils Windows 10 system Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:56:47 GMT
- Microsoft announces the next version of its core operating system, called Windows 10, which will reintroduce the Start Menu.
- Kurds fight IS on Iraq-Syria border Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:54:38 GMT
- Heavy fighting is reported on both sides of a key border crossing between Iraq and Syria, where Kurdish forces are battling Islamic State militants.
- Iran 'postpones' woman's execution Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:53:37 GMT
- Iran is reported to have postponed the execution of Reyhaneh Jabbari, convicted of killing a man she said was trying to sexually abuse her.
- Phelps 'arrested for drink driving' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:09:54 GMT
- US Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps has apologised after being arrested for speeding while driving under the influence of alcohol in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Argentina defies US over debt payment Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:57:59 GMT
- Argentina deposits $161m in bond interest payments with a state-controlled bank, in an effort to skirt US court rulings.
- White House security plan 'failed' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 20:41:27 GMT
- The director of the US Secret Service says its security plan was "not properly executed" when a man broke into the White House this month.
- California imposes plastic bag ban Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:54:50 GMT
- The US state is the first to pass legislation imposing a ban on single-use plastic bags in grocery and convenience stores.
- Catalans rally for independence vote Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:25:26 GMT
- Thousands of pro-independence campaigners take to the streets of Barcelona after the Catalan government says it remains "determined" to hold the vote.
- Obama and Modi call for 'new agenda' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:45:22 GMT
- Indian PM Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama call for a "new agenda" between their countries during Mr Modi's two-day visit to the US.
- Norway best country for older people Tue, 30 Sep 2014 23:02:05 GMT
- Norway is the best place to be old, according to an index of the quality of later life in published on the UN's International Day of Older Persons.
- VIDEO: Gates 'optimistic' for Ebola sufferers Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:27:37 GMT
- Microsoft founder Bill Gates has said he is "optimistic" about increasing the treatment capacity for Ebola in West Africa.
- VIDEO: 'I hid from boulders as volcano erupted' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:37:26 GMT
- A mountain guide who was on Mount Ontake when it erupted speaks about the moment it exploded without warning.
- VIDEO: Henning's wife makes new mercy plea Tue, 30 Sep 2014 22:12:05 GMT
- The wife of British hostage Alan Henning has made a renewed direct appeal to the IS militants holding her husband.