"The American mind, unlike the English, is not formed by books, but, as Carl Sandburg once said to me, by newspapers and the Bible."
—Van Wyck Brooks (1886-1963) American critic, historian
- WHO crisis team holds Ebola talks Wed, 22 Oct 2014 13:53:30 GMT
- The World Health Organization's emergency committee is holding talks on travel restrictions and screening measures on the Ebola outbreak.
- Syria air force 'steps up strikes' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 13:58:32 GMT
- The Syrian military has stepped up its air strikes on rebel-held areas dramatically, carrying out more than 200 in recent days, activists say.
- Sweden could use force in sub hunt Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:39:27 GMT
- Sweden could use weapons in the search for a suspected foreign submarine near the capital Stockholm, a senior naval official tells the BBC.
- Total plane crash driver 'got lost' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:57:12 GMT
- A snowplough driver at a Moscow airport says he lost his bearings before a collision with a plane that killed Total oil boss Christophe de Margerie.
- Protests at HK leader's residence Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:09:00 GMT
- Protesters in Hong Kong march to the chief executive's residence, criticising his comments against giving the poor too much political influence.
- MEPs back Juncker EU Commission team Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:48:05 GMT
- The new European Commission led by Jean-Claude Juncker gets strong backing from MEPs after some tough questioning.
- Somali teenager 'stoned to death' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:47:13 GMT
- An Islamic court has stoned an 18-year-old to death in southern Somalia after convicting him of raping a woman, a pro-Islamist news site reports.
- Django actress on lewd conduct charge Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:07:35 GMT
- Actress Daniele Watts, who alleged she was held by police because of racial profiling, is charged with committing a lewd act in public.
- Canada lifts terror threat level Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:35:11 GMT
- Canada raises its terrorism threat level to medium - but stresses there is no specific threat - after two soldiers were attacked in Quebec.
- S Korea takes down 'Christmas tree' Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:22:23 GMT
- South Korea takes down a "Christmas tree" tower on the border with North Korea, but says it was for safety reasons not to appease the North.
- Briton found with throat cut in Bali Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:26:54 GMT
- The Indonesian wife of a British man found with his throat cut on the island of Bali has admitted arranging his murder, police there tell the BBC.
- US editor Ben Bradlee dies at 93 Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:49:40 GMT
- Ben Bradlee, the editor of the Washington Post during the Watergate scandal that toppled President Nixon, has died aged 93, the newspaper says.
- VIDEO: Kurds' fury as Kobane battle rages on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:54:39 GMT
- The fighting in Kobane has pushed relations between the Turkish government and Turkey's Kurdish population to the lowest point for years
- VIDEO: Is it sinful to pet a dog? Wed, 22 Oct 2014 02:00:17 GMT
- Many people in the Muslim-majority nation of Malaysia believe it's sinful to be in contact with a dog, but one man is trying to change that perception by putting on a canine event.
- VIDEO: The city hoping to be independent state Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:06:02 GMT
- Steve Rosenberg visits two cities in rebel held Ukraine which will be boycotting the forthcoming parliamentary elections.