"What we become depends on what we read after all the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is the collection of books."
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- ‘Sorry’ ferry captain tells of delay Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:52:43 GMT
- The captain of the capsized South Korean ferry delayed the evacuation fearing passengers would "drift away", as divers see bodies inside.
- Ukraine calls Easter truce in east Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:41:37 GMT
- Ukraine suspends operations against pro-Russian militants occupying government offices in the east over Easter, but the stand-off remains.
- Plane search at 'critical juncture' Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:37:18 GMT
- The search area for the missing Malaysian plane has narrowed and will be at "a critical juncture" in the next two days, says the transport minister.
- Syria-held French journalists freed Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:35:44 GMT
- Four French journalists held captive in Syria for months have been freed and are in "good health", says President Francois Hollande.
- Obama signs UN envoy visa ban law Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:19:22 GMT
- President Barack Obama signs into law a measure that would bar entry to any UN ambassador whom the US says has engaged in "terrorist activity".
- Al-Qaeda suspects killed in Yemen Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:33:37 GMT
- An air strike kills at least 13 suspected al-Qaeda militants in central Yemen, with some reports saying three civilians also died.
- Pope leads Good Friday services Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:55:54 GMT
- Pope Francis highlights the plight of the poor, elderly and abandoned during the Way of the Cross procession in Rome to mark Good Friday.
- Three missing in Everest avalanche Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:48:34 GMT
- The search resumes for three missing local guides after an avalanche kills 13 Sherpas on the slopes of Mount Everest.
- UN outrage at South Sudan attack Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:35:58 GMT
- The UN expresses outrage at a deadly attack on one of its bases in South Sudan, saying it could "constitute a war crime".
- Mexico shaken by powerful earthquake Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:44:18 GMT
- A 7.2-magnitude earthquake hits states in south and west Mexico, shaking buildings in the capital, but there are no reports of casualties or damage.
- Court order halts Brazil match Sat, 19 Apr 2014 02:47:19 GMT
- A Brazilian second division football game is abandoned after 16 minutes, with one team saying they now have a court order to play in the top division.
- Man held over NI dissident murder Sat, 19 Apr 2014 09:17:02 GMT
- Police in Northern Ireland arrest a 26-year-old man over the murder of former dissident republican leader Tommy Crossan.
- VIDEO: Strong quake shakes Mexico City Sat, 19 Apr 2014 01:43:15 GMT
- A powerful earthquake has struck Mexico City, shaking buildings and causing widespread panic.
- VIDEO: S Korea families 'expect the worst' Sat, 19 Apr 2014 07:20:06 GMT
- Divers in South Korea have reached the lower deck of the ferry which sank on Wednesday, glimpsing at what appeared to be several bodies.
- VIDEO: Kate tries out fighter jet in Australia Sat, 19 Apr 2014 06:47:28 GMT
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit an air base in Queensland on day four of their tour of Australia.