"A bad book about the love of God remains a bad book."
—Thomas Merton (1915-68) American religious writer The Seven Story Mountain, No Man Is an Island
- SA apartheid assassin given parole Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:22:02 GMT
- South African apartheid-era death squad commander Eugene de Kock, nicknamed "Prime Evil", is granted parole after 20 years for killing activists.
- Sisi cuts short visit over Sinai Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:55:11 GMT
- Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi cuts short a visit to an African Union summit to deal with attacks that killed at least 26 in the Sinai peninsula.
- Eurozone deflation gathers pace Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:10:11 GMT
- Eurozone deflation deepens in January, as prices fall by 0.6% compared with last year, pushed down by lower oil prices.
- Deadly blast at Pakistan Shia mosque Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:19:58 GMT
- A bomb blast at a Shia religious mosque in southern Pakistan kills at least 31 people and injures many more, officials say.
- Balloonists surpass distance record Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:24:45 GMT
- Two pilots have surpassed the world distance record for a flight in a helium balloon after crossing the Pacific Ocean.
- Srebrenica massacre verdicts upheld Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:10:05 GMT
- The former Yugoslavia war crimes tribunal upholds convictions against five men for their role in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.
- Philippine mourning for slain police Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:01:01 GMT
- The Philippines holds a day of mourning for 44 police commandos killed in a clash with Muslim rebels, as police sought terror suspects.
- Skeleton sacks baffle India police Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:35:39 GMT
- Dozens of skeletons and decayed body parts are discovered in sacks in a disused room of an Indian police building, baffling the authorities.
- China warns universities on values Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:48:03 GMT
- China's education minister tells universities to shun textbooks promoting Western values and block criticism of the political system, state media say.
- Battle rages for key Ukraine town Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:22:41 GMT
- Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian rebels trade heavy tank and artillery fire in and around Debaltseve, a strategic town in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia cuts interest rates to 15% Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:13:46 GMT
- Russia has cut its main interest rate from 17% to 15% because inflation "is stabilising".
- Churchill's funeral anniversary marked Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:01:54 GMT
- David Cameron lays a wreath in memory of Sir Winston Churchill as events mark the 50th anniversary of his state funeral.
- VIDEO: The Tibetan monk with 170 children Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:19:47 GMT
- A Tibetan Buddhist monk took in 33 orphans after an earthquake in 2010 - now he is looking after 170 children.
- VIDEO: Would you let your firm microchip you? Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:35:47 GMT
- A hi-tech office in Sweden offers to implant microchips under the skin of staff in bid to make some simple tasks easier.
- VIDEO: Taylor Swift trademarks famous lyrics Fri, 30 Jan 2015 07:39:34 GMT
- Pop star Taylor Swift has trademarked phrases including "this sick beat" and "we never go out of style", in the United States to prevent unauthorised use of her work on merchandise.