"A man loses contact with reality if he is not surrounded by his books."
—François Maurice Mitterrand (b. 1916) President of France
- Ceasefire aim as Gaza deaths top 800 Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:53:33 GMT
- Efforts to secure a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas are intensifying as more people are killed in the 18-day conflict.
- 'No survivors' in Air Algerie crash Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:04:20 GMT
- There are no survivors from the Air Algerie AH5017 passenger jet that crashed in Mali, says the French President, Francois Hollande.
- UK economy back at pre-crisis level Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:42:48 GMT
- The UK economy grew 0.8% in the second quarter and has now recovered the ground lost since the downturn began in 2008, according to official figures.
- Dutch and Australians in MH17 talks Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:58:13 GMT
- The Netherlands and Australia seek access to the rebel-controlled crash site of MH17 in eastern Ukraine as more bodies arrive in Eindhoven.
- S Leone hunts seized Ebola patient Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:30:13 GMT
- A hunt is launched in Sierra Leone's capital, Freetown, for a woman with Ebola who was forcibly removed from hospital by her relatives.
- Isis 'overruns' Syrian military base Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:14:36 GMT
- Fighters from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) say they have overrun a large Syrian military base on the outskirts of the city of Raqqa.
- Fifteen killed in Afghan bus attack Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:50:14 GMT
- Suspected Taliban gunmen kill 15 bus passengers from the minority Hazara community in the central Afghan province of Ghor, officials say.
- Greste appeal over Egypt conviction Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:20:43 GMT
- Jailed al-Jazeera journalist Peter Greste is to appeal against his conviction and jail term on terrorism-related charges in Egypt, his family says.
- Wikipedia blocks US Congress edits Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:12:08 GMT
- Administrators have imposed a ban on Wikipedia alterations from the US House of Representatives, following "persistent disruptive editing".
- Ferry owner death cause 'unknown' Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:51:40 GMT
- South Korea's forensic agency says it cannot determine the cause of death for the fugitive tycoon blamed for the recent ferry disaster.
- American reporter held in Iran Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:38:16 GMT
- An American reporter for the Washington Post, his wife and two other US journalists have been detained in Tehran, an Iranian official confirms.
- Thousands welcome Giants to city Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:09:22 GMT
- An estimated 100,000 people line Liverpool's streets to welcome three giant marionettes which will tell the story of the city during World War One.
- VIDEO: Thunderstorms on Air Algerie route Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:00:19 GMT
- BBC Weather's Tomasz Schafernaker says there were thunderstorms in the area where Air Algerie flight AH5017 was flying before it crashed.
- VIDEO: Honour for 101-year-old weatherman Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:38:16 GMT
- America's longest serving volunteer weather observer, 101-year-old Richard G Hendrickson, will be honoured on Sunday for 84 years service.
- VIDEO: Is Ramadan too commercial? Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:28:43 GMT
- Many Pakistanis are complaining that Ramadan has become too commercial over the last few years, and is losing its true spirit.