"A bad book about the love of God remains a bad book."
—Thomas Merton (1915-68) American religious writer The Seven Story Mountain, No Man Is an Island
- EU 'must act on Russia aggression' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 16:13:39 GMT
- EU leaders meet to discuss the crisis in Ukraine, with threats of fresh sanctions against Russia for its "military aggression" in eastern Ukraine.
- Iraq in push to free Amerli town Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:44:44 GMT
- Iraqi forces, Shia militias and Kurdish Peshmerga begin a new offensive to try to save the town of Amerli from Islamic State militants, reports say.
- Iran anger over new US sanctions Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:20:31 GMT
- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani criticises new US sanctions, saying they will harm negotiations over his country's nuclear programme.
- Lesotho PM flees 'military coup' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:53:50 GMT
- Lesotho's prime minister crosses into South Africa, accusing Lesotho's army of staging a coup and telling the BBC his life is in danger.
- China warns of Hong Kong 'meddling' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:35:29 GMT
- China warns foreign countries against "meddling" in Hong Kong's politics ahead of a crucial announcement on the territory's election process.
- Philippine Syria troops 'attacked' Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:58:49 GMT
- A group of Philippine peacekeepers trapped by rebels in the Syrian Golan Heights are "under attack", the Philippine defence minister says.
- Man charged over Galloway assault Sat, 30 Aug 2014 15:40:37 GMT
- A man is charged with religiously-aggravated assault after MP George Galloway was attacked in a west London street.
- Jews 'forced' from Guatemala village Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:38:45 GMT
- Some 230 members of an Orthodox Jewish group begin leaving a village in western Guatemala after a bitter row with the local indigenous community.
- Rescuers free Nicaraguan miners Sat, 30 Aug 2014 06:00:45 GMT
- Most of 24 gold miners trapped underground in northern Nicaragua since Thursday have been rescued, officials say.
- Cameron and Clegg to hold terror talks Sat, 30 Aug 2014 14:59:21 GMT
- David Cameron and Nick Clegg are to hold talks to try to reach agreement on new measures to tackle the threat posed by Islamist extremists.
- India's growth hits two year high Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:52:51 GMT
- India's economy grew by 5.7% in the three months to June, its fastest pace in two-and-a-half years, according to an official estimate.
- 'Forgotten' Swiss baby dies in car Sat, 30 Aug 2014 13:39:47 GMT
- A 16-month-old baby in Switzerland dies after one of its parents went to work forgetting that the child had been left in the car.
- VIDEO: Long queues to leave Mariupol Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:01:47 GMT
- The Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is in Brussels to discuss the ongoing crisis in his country with EU leaders.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.