"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- 'New chapter' in US-Cuba ties Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:34:05 GMT
- The US and Cuba announce moves to normalise relations in a major policy shift, following the release by Cuba of US contractor Alan Gross.
- Farc rebels declare unilateral truce Wed, 17 Dec 2014 21:50:43 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebels declare a unilateral ceasefire for an indefinite period of time, but the government is yet to respond to the move.
- Sony cancels The Interview release Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:41:00 GMT
- Sony cancels the release of The Interview, a film about a fictional plot to kill North Korea's leader, after major cinemas decide not to screen it.
- Death penalty for Nigerian soldiers Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:59:23 GMT
- A Nigerian court martial in the capital Abuja sentences 54 soldiers to death for refusing to fight Boko Haram Islamist militants.
- Mass grave 'found in eastern Syria' Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:35:33 GMT
- The bodies of more than 230 people thought to have been killed by Islamic State (IS) have been found in a mass grave in eastern Syria, activists say.
- Fifa investigator Garcia resigns Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:18:00 GMT
- Fifa's independent ethics investigator Michael Garcia resigns in protest over the handling of his World Cup bidding report.
- New York bans fracking due to risk Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:06:17 GMT
- Fracking, the controversial method of oil and gas development, will be banned in New York state after a report concludes the process poses "significant public health risks".
- Sharif vow to end Pakistan terrorism Wed, 17 Dec 2014 18:32:03 GMT
- Pakistani leader Nawaz Sharif vows to rid his country of terrorism after the Taliban killed 141 people, mostly children, at a Peshawar school.
- Russia plans new action over rouble Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:32:12 GMT
- Russia says it is planning new measures to stabilise the rouble after its slump against the dollar.
- Taliban kill 10 in Afghan bank raid Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:12:41 GMT
- Ten people are killed and many more wounded as Taliban militants attack a bank in the southern Afghan province of Helmand, officials say.
- EU leaders focus on investment boost Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:05:18 GMT
- EU leaders are to consider ways to unlock billions of euros of investment and policy on Russia, at a Brussels summit.
- Oil price forces new Nigeria budget Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:06:15 GMT
- The prolonged slump in the price of oil forces oil-export dependent Nigeria to revise its budget plans, prompting its currency to fall to a record low.
- VIDEO: US navy develops 'fish' robot Wed, 17 Dec 2014 20:18:22 GMT
- The US military has been showing off its latest catch.
- VIDEO: Russians splash out to beat rouble fall Wed, 17 Dec 2014 22:28:42 GMT
- As the Russian rouble falls in value - and prices for imported goods looks set to rise - Russians have been flocking to the stores, to spend their cash on durable goods.
- VIDEO: 'Buddhist bug' art explores difference Wed, 17 Dec 2014 23:19:02 GMT
- Performance artist Anida Yoeu Ali's Buddhist bug series aims to answer questions about religion, identity and difference