"If you will protest courageously, and yet with dignity and Christian love, when the history books are written in future generations, the historians will have to pause and say, There lived a great people-a black people-who injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization."
—Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68) African-American reverend, civil rights leader
- Gaza truce fails as Israeli 'seized' Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:33:39 GMT
- Israeli forces search for a soldier believed captured and 53 Gazans are killed in fighting that ended a short-lived humanitarian truce in Gaza.
- Ebola spreading too fast - WHO Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:03:21 GMT
- The Ebola outbreak is spreading faster than efforts to control it, the head of the World Health Organization tells West African leaders.
- Obama defends under-fire CIA director Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:17:35 GMT
- President Barack Obama has defended CIA Director John Brennan and acknowledged the US tortured prisoners after 9/11.
- MH17 crash team finds human remains Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:38:02 GMT
- A team of 70 Dutch and Australian forensic experts finds human remains at the site of the flight MH17 crash in east Ukraine as fighting continues.
- Judge urges Argentina default talks Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:29:16 GMT
- In the first hearing since Argentina defaulted on its debts, US judge Thomas Griesa calls for negotiations to be resumed urgently.
- Uganda court annuls anti-gay law Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:52:19 GMT
- Uganda's Constitutional Court annuls a tough anti-gay law that had drawn widespread criticism by Western governments and human rights activists.
- Police 'chokehold' caused NYC death Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:55:29 GMT
- A medical examiner has ruled that a police officer's "chokehold" caused the death of a man in New York.
- 'Nine militants killed' in Xinjiang Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:39:51 GMT
- Nine militants are shot dead by police and one captured in the restive Chinese region of Xinjiang, the Xinhua news agency reports.
- Held GSK detective visited by son Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:09:14 GMT
- The son of a private investigator linked to a GlaxoSmithKline corruption investigation in China has been allowed to visit his father.
- Republicans inch towards border deal Sat, 02 Aug 2014 00:02:49 GMT
- A bill to strengthen the US border with Mexico amid a surge in arrivals from Central America clears its first hurdle in the House of Representatives.
- US economy adds 209,000 jobs in July Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:50:24 GMT
- The US economy added 209,000 jobs in July, latest Bureau of Labor Statistics data reveal, adding to optimism that the recovery continues apace.
- Germany's Kohl keeps historic tapes Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:34:34 GMT
- German ex-Chancellor Helmut Kohl wins a bitter legal battle to keep 200 tapes recording his political life.
- VIDEO: Rare contact with remote Amazon tribe Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:19:24 GMT
- A group of previously isolated indigenous people from the Amazon has come face to face with a settled community of villagers for the first time in the Brazilian state of Acre, according to authorities.
- VIDEO: Last of the scissor makers Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:33:30 GMT
- Eric Stones has been making scissors by hand for 58 years.
- VIDEO: Multiple Taiwan gas blasts kill 25 Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:50:02 GMT
- Taiwan gas blasts in Kaohsiung kill at least 24