"A classic is a book which people praise and don't read."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Ukraine rebels to get self-rule Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:54:02 GMT
- Ukrainian MPs adopt a law granting special status to parts of eastern regions held by pro-Russian rebels and an amnesty for rebel fighters.
- UN calls for $1bn to fight Ebola Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:12:40 GMT
- The UN says it needs $1bn to fight the West Africa Ebola outbreak, described as "unparalleled in modern times", as experts warn that time is running out.
- Campaigns seize on Scotland pledge Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:12:10 GMT
- The pro-independence camp in Scotland calls a devolution pledge by the main UK parties an "insult" while pro-union campaigners hail it as a "vision".
- US 'would consider Iraq ground troops' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:44:06 GMT
- US ground forces could be deployed against Islamic State militants if the current strategy fails, a top US general says.
- Rob Ford says he is 'pretty sick' Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:18:27 GMT
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tells a columnist he is feeling "pretty sick" in hospital as he undergoes testing for tumours in his abdomen and lungs.
- Odile storm moves up Mexico coast Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:48:21 GMT
- Tropical storm Odile is moving up Mexico's Baja California peninsula, bringing heavy rains and the threat of mudslides and flash floods.
- French PM Valls wins confidence vote Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:21:18 GMT
- French Prime Minister Manuel Valls narrowly wins a crucial confidence vote in parliament, despite a recent cabinet revolt over austerity measures.
- CCTV released in Thai murder hunt Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:23:25 GMT
- Police hunting for suspects of the murder of two Britons in Thailand release CCTV images as the victims' families pay tribute.
- Deadly shooting at Copenhagen court Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:53:16 GMT
- One person has been shot dead and another wounded at a court building in Copenhagen, Danish police say.
- Nato troops killed in Kabul bombing Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:43:23 GMT
- A Taliban suicide car bomber attacks a foreign military convoy in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killing three Nato personnel and injuring at least 16 civilians.
- Thai woman in crocodile pit suicide Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:15:19 GMT
- A 65-year-old woman from Bangkok has killed herself by jumping into a pit of crocodiles at a reptile farm, police say.
- Rio archbishop robbed for crucifix Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:02:51 GMT
- Armed robbers steal the archbishop of Rio de Janeiro's crucifix, even though one of the gang recognised him and apologised.
- VIDEO: Rare colossal squid defrosted Tue, 16 Sep 2014 16:06:16 GMT
- Scientists in New Zealand have thawed and started to examine a rare colossal squid caught in a fisherman's net.
- VIDEO: Hurricane Odile stuns Mexico resorts Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:10:26 GMT
- Hurricane Odile causes devastation in the beach resorts of Mexico's Baja California peninsula, triggering looting in some areas.
- VIDEO: Kashmir floods leave thousands stranded Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:55:34 GMT
- Thousands of people are still thought to be stranded in Indian administered Kashmir nearly two weeks after devastating floods there.