"There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Ebola outbreak cases pass 10,000 Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:00:39 GMT
- The number of cases in the Ebola outbreak passes 10,000, with 4,922 deaths, the World Health Organization's latest report says.
- Attacks 'threaten Egypt's existence' Sat, 25 Oct 2014 12:03:52 GMT
- Egypt faces an existential threat from jihadists, the president says, after at least 31 soldiers are killed in two attacks in the Sinai peninsula.
- Iran hangs woman despite campaign Sat, 25 Oct 2014 10:49:13 GMT
- Iran defies an international campaign and hangs a woman who killed a man she said was trying to sexually abuse her.
- Cream bassist Jack Bruce dies, aged 71 Sat, 25 Oct 2014 15:22:55 GMT
- Jack Bruce, bassist from 1960s band Cream, has died aged 71, his publicist confirms.
- Mass protest over Italy job reforms Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:04:08 GMT
- A mass protest is held in the Italian capital, Rome, against Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's plans for labour market reform.
- Mulaudzi killed in a car crash Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:06:51 GMT
- Former Olympic 800m silver medallist Mbulaeni Mulaudzi is killed in a road traffic accident in his native South Africa.
- Google boss sets new skydive record Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:35:51 GMT
- Google executive Alan Eustace breaks the world altitude record for a parachute jump set two years ago by Felix Baumgartner.
- New York axe attack 'terrorist act' Sat, 25 Oct 2014 05:40:48 GMT
- Police in New York say an axe attack on two officers was a terrorist act carried out by a radicalised Muslim convert.
- Vietnam tycoon arrested for 'fraud' Sat, 25 Oct 2014 09:42:46 GMT
- One of Vietnam's richest men, Ha Van Tham, is arrested by police on suspicion of lending fraud, authorities say.
- Britain must pay EU bill, says MEP Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:28:28 GMT
- The rest of Europe expects the UK to settle a £1.7bn EU budget demand "and that's that", a vice president of the European Parliament has said.
- One killed in US school shooting Sat, 25 Oct 2014 08:52:03 GMT
- One student is shot dead and four wounded in a school by a classmate who then took his own life, police in the US state of Washington say.
- Ex-PGA boss sorry for Poulter tweet Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:43:33 GMT
- Ted Bishop, former president of the PGA of America, apologises after calling Ian Poulter a "little girl" on social media.
- VIDEO: Paris's Picasso museum reopens Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:13:33 GMT
- Paris's world-renowned Picasso museum is reopening after being closed for five years.
- VIDEO: Using Facebook to get a pay rise Fri, 24 Oct 2014 23:13:53 GMT
- BBC News speaks to the creators of Smarpshare, who want employees to become brand ambassadors for their firms.
- VIDEO: Brazil's 'tightest' presidential vote Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:21:16 GMT
- Sunday's presidential run-off vote in Brazil is too close to call and the election battle has centred on the pivotal home state of both candidates, Minas Gerais.