"A bad book about the love of God remains a bad book."
—Thomas Merton (1915-68) American religious writer The Seven Story Mountain, No Man Is an Island
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes Sat, 08 Mar 2014 08:24:41 GMT
- A search begins in waters between Malaysia and Vietnam after a Malaysia Airlines plane carrying 239 people vanishes on a flight to Beijing.
- Russia warns US against sanctions Sat, 08 Mar 2014 07:44:51 GMT
- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warns the US not to take "hasty steps" over the Ukraine crisis, as tensions remain high in Crimea.
- Etherington wins downhill silver for GB Sat, 08 Mar 2014 06:20:38 GMT
- Britain's Jade Etherington wins silver in the women's visually impaired downhill at the Sochi Winter Paralympics.
- Turkish ex-military chief freed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 23:52:32 GMT
- Turkey's former army chief Ilker Basbug is released from prison in Istanbul after a local court overturns his conviction for plotting a coup.
- Kenyan president takes pay cut Fri, 07 Mar 2014 23:57:34 GMT
- Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta announces that he and his cabinet will take pay cuts to help reduce the government's ballooning wage bill.
- US general faces assault accuser Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:49:26 GMT
- A US Army captain weeps as she tells a court that a general made her perform oral sex on him and threatened to kill her family if she told anyone.
- Rio bin men on strike despite deal Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:45:46 GMT
- Rubbish is piling up in Rio de Janeiro as the Brazilian city's street cleaners continue a strike, despite an announced agreement with the union.
- VIDEO: 'We fear a backlash against Russian-Americans' Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:56:08 GMT
- Ukrainian and Russian immigrants to the US talk to the BBC about how they see the crisis in their homelands
- VIDEO: Tension in Caracas as clashes continue Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:10:41 GMT
- Clashes have broken out again on the streets of the Venezuelan capital, Caracas.
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 08 Mar 2014 02:46:33 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Composer admits lying about deafness Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:02:07 GMT
- Mamoru Samuragochi, one of Japan's most famous composers, officially apologises for pretending to be deaf. He was exposed last month by a music teacher, who also claimed that he wrote all of his music for him in secret for 18 years.
- VIDEO: 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:38:11 GMT
- Prince Harry has taken to the stage at Wembley Arena to address 12,000 young people taking part in the first We Day UK.
- VIDEO: 'I have nothing to do with Bitcoin' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:27:07 GMT
- Controversy is surrounding claims by Newsweek to have found the creator of the Bitcoin virtual currency.
- VIDEO: Drought threat looms over Kenya region Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:23:13 GMT
- The Turkana region in northern Kenya is facing one of the worst droughts in living memory with more than 1m people in need of food aid.