"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it."
—James Bryce (1838-1922) British diplomat, historian, known as First Viscount Bryce of Dechmont
- Russia 'to alter military doctrine' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:13:54 GMT
- Russia is to adjust its military doctrine as a result of the Ukraine crisis and Nato's increasing presence in eastern Europe, a top Russian official says.
- IS accused of Iraq ethnic cleansing Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:59:56 GMT
- Amnesty International says it has proof Islamic State militants have launched a campaign of ethnic cleansing against minorities in northern Iraq.
- VIDEO: Iraq grannies 'take on IS in Amerli’ Mon, 01 Sep 2014 21:52:25 GMT
- Residents and fighters in Amerli are celebrating the end of a two-month siege and the withdrawal of IS militants from around the town.
- FBI probes 'Cloud' celebrity leaks Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:09:12 GMT
- The FBI looks into allegations that the online accounts of celebrities have been hacked, leading to intimate pictures being posted online.
- Boris Island airport plan 'not dead' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:20:55 GMT
- Mayor of London Boris Johnson says plans for an airport in the Thames Estuary, dubbed "Boris Island", are not dead despite a commission rejecting the idea.
- Falcao caps record summer spending Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:22:59 GMT
- Radamel Falcao's loan move to Manchester United was the major deadline day signing as summer spending hits a record £835m.
- US 'targets al-Shabab's leader' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:59:40 GMT
- The US military carries out air strikes in Somalia, reportedly targeting the leader of militant group al-Shabab, though it is unclear if he was hit.
- Uber banned across Germany by court Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:04:53 GMT
- A Frankfurt court tells car pick-up service Uber to stop taking passengers or face a fine because it lacks permits to operate in Germany.
- US works to free trio in N Korea Tue, 02 Sep 2014 02:50:51 GMT
- The White House says securing the release of three American citizens detained in North Korea is a "top priority", after they appealed for help.
- Pakistan MPs hold emergency session Tue, 02 Sep 2014 09:09:27 GMT
- A joint session of parliament begins in Pakistan as PM Nawaz Sharif seeks to gain support against protesters calling for his resignation.
- China accuses MPs of 'interference' Mon, 01 Sep 2014 22:38:45 GMT
- Chinese authorities accuse British MPs of interfering in Hong Kong's affairs by investigating tensions there, BBC Newsnight learns.
- Japan tackles dengue fever outbreak Tue, 02 Sep 2014 05:47:04 GMT
- Japan is battling its first outbreak of dengue fever in almost 70 years, with at least 22 people confirmed as being infected.
- Russian sex geckos die in orbit Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:51:57 GMT
- Five gecko lizards sent into orbit on a Russian space satellite as part of a sex experiment have all died, the Russian space agency says.
- Survivor singer Jamison dies aged 63 Tue, 02 Sep 2014 08:56:10 GMT
- Jimi Jamison, the lead singer for US rock band Survivor, who sang and co-wrote the theme tune for hit TV series Baywatch, dies aged 63.
- VIDEO: Uganda's Ghetto Kids: 'Dance changed my life' Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:03:04 GMT
- Children in Uganda working in a pioneering dance group, Ghetto Kids, have been describing how it has changed their lives for the better.