"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to others, and it becomes the property of all."
—Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher, writer, Candide
- Hong Kong leader in protest appeal Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:23:33 GMT
- Hong Kong leader CY Leung urges pro-democracy protesters to "immediately" stop their campaign, as crowds bring areas to a standstill.
- Argentina 'in contempt' of US court Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:27:51 GMT
- A US judge rules that Argentina is in contempt of court for refusing to obey an order to repay the debt it owes to two US hedge funds.
- Afghans to sign foreign troop deals Tue, 30 Sep 2014 07:21:02 GMT
- The new Afghan government is to sign security deals with the US and Nato that will allow foreign troops to remain in the country beyond 2014.
- Intruder 'ran through' White House Tue, 30 Sep 2014 00:07:27 GMT
- A man arrested for breaking into the White House earlier this month gained access to more of the building than previously believed, US media report.
- Ireland gave 'state aid' to Apple Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:44:23 GMT
- The European Commission accuses Apple of benefiting from illegal state aid through its tax arrangements in Ireland.
- Third video of UK hostage released Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:58:00 GMT
- A third video has appeared featuring British hostage John Cantlie who is being held by Islamic State militants.
- S Africa firebrand trial postponed Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:02:54 GMT
- The trial of South African opposition party leader Julius Malema on charges of fraud and money-laundering is postponed till next year.
- World wildlife populations 'plummet' Tue, 30 Sep 2014 08:20:16 GMT
- The global loss of species is even worse than previously thought, with wildlife populations halving in just 40 years, a report says.
- Japan volcano eruption intensifies Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:45:25 GMT
- Efforts to recover the bodies of at least 24 climbers are suspended again after the eruption on Japan's Mount Ontake intensifies.
- Thousands flock to 'anti-Facebook' Mon, 29 Sep 2014 23:42:52 GMT
- Ad-free social media platform Ello overcomes a technical setback to continue its rapid growth, but one expert questions its business model.
- Israel points to Iran as main threat Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:17:04 GMT
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warns that a nuclear Iran is a bigger threat to the world than Islamic State (IS) militants.
- Canada body parts murder trial opens Tue, 30 Sep 2014 04:12:38 GMT
- A Canadian man admits killing his lover and sending parts of his body in the post to political figures, as his trial opens in Montreal.
- Netflix to release full-length film Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:51:24 GMT
- The video streaming site Netflix will release its first feature-length film in 2015, after striking a deal with the Weinstein Company.
- VIDEO: The battle to protect gates of Baghdad Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:50:42 GMT
- Iraqi ground forces, backed by air strikes, have been involved in fierce fighting with Islamic State (IS) militants in a town west of Baghdad.
- VIDEO: Clintons leave hospital with baby Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:19:07 GMT
- Chelsea Clinton leaves a New York hospital with her baby daughter, Charlotte Clinton Mezvinsky.