"Never read a book that is not a year old."
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- Apple profit 'biggest in history' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:22:32 GMT
- Record sales of iPhones help Apple to report a first quarter profit of $18bn, the biggest ever quarterly profit for a public company.
- N Korea leader 'to visit Russia' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 06:37:28 GMT
- Russia says North Korea's leader has accepted an invitation to Moscow, South Korean media reports, but Kim Jong-un is not mentioned by name.
- Japan condemns Goto hostage video Wed, 28 Jan 2015 06:16:38 GMT
- PM Shinzo Abe condemns a "despicable" Islamic State threat to kill hostage Kenji Goto within 24 hours, saying Japan is working for his release.
- Asylum group 'legally held at sea' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 05:14:37 GMT
- Australia's month-long detention of 157 Sri Lankan asylum seekers at sea last year was legal, the High Court rules.
- Bank chief warns of pandemic threat Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:42:22 GMT
- The world is "dangerously unprepared" for future pandemics like the deadly Ebola outbreak, the president of the World Bank warns.
- Foreigners dead in Tripoli attack Wed, 28 Jan 2015 06:35:44 GMT
- Militants attack a hotel in the Libyan capital Tripoli, killing at least nine people including five foreigners, officials say.
- US admits snow forecast errors Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:10:11 GMT
- The US National Weather Service says its forecasting is "subject to error", after predictions of a historic blizzard for New York City fell flat.
- AirAsia body search 'could end soon' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:14:48 GMT
- Indonesia's search and rescue agency chief says the hunt for victims of AirAsia QZ8501 could be called off if no more bodies are found soon.
- Mexico insists 43 students are dead Wed, 28 Jan 2015 05:40:25 GMT
- Mexico's attorney general insists that 43 students who disappeared four months ago were killed and their bodies burnt and disposed of.
- Manus detainees 'to be sent home' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:08:29 GMT
- Most detainees at the Australian-run Manus Island centre are not refugees and will soon be repatriated, says the PM of PNG, but campaigners dismiss the claim.
- Argentina Jews boycott memorial Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:34:15 GMT
- Jewish groups in Argentina boycott the government's Holocaust memorial, in protest at the investigation into the death of prosecutor Alberto Nisman.
- England drives global football deals Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:24:10 GMT
- Football clubs spent a record £2.7bn in international transfers in 2014, with English football clubs accounting for £795m of the total.
- VIDEO: Greece's push for a debt "haircut" Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:07:22 GMT
- Opposition to austerity is at the core of Greece's new leader's agenda but it will also push for half of Greek debt to be written off, bringing it down to a more sustainable level, a so-called "haircut".
- VIDEO: First in the village to own a fridge Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:17:36 GMT
- A tailor from Calcutta buys his first fridge, which is also the first of his entire village.
- VIDEO: 'I had to survive to tell the world' Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:12:29 GMT
- Kitty Hart-Moxon survived two years as a prisoner at the infamous Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz. She spoke to Witness about how she coped.