"Be careful of reading health books, you might die of a misprint."
—Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
- Kerry calls Karzai to defuse tension Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:33:31 GMT
- The US Secretary of State calls the Afghan leader to defuse tension over the opening of a Taliban office in Qatar, an Afghan official says.
- Obama calls for nuclear arsenal cuts Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:40:39 GMT
- Speaking at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, President Barack Obama calls for reductions to be made in US and Russian nuclear stockpiles.
- Deadly attack on Somalia UN office Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:53:55 GMT
- At least 12 people, including four foreigners, are killed in an assault by militant Islamists on a UN office in the Somali capital, Mogadishu.
- FBI 'uses surveillance drones in US' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:31:53 GMT
- The FBI has used drones for surveillance in limited cases over US soil and is developing a drone use policy, the FBI director tells a US Senate panel.
- US force-feeding 'hurts detainees' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:15:14 GMT
- A hunger-striking Guantanamo Bay detainee tells of the 'ordeal' of force-feeding, as doctors call for inmates to get independent medical care.
- Brazil sends force to quell unrest Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:51:39 GMT
- Brazil is to send a national security force to five major cities to help restore order after massive protests, the justice ministry says.
- Protests flare over Egypt governor Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:53:49 GMT
- Egypt's tourism minister quits and protests erupt as a man with links to Islamists behind the deadly 1997 attack in Luxor is named as city governor.
- Royal baby's gender to be 'surprise' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:51:11 GMT
- Duchess of Cambridge expected to give birth at London's St Mary's Hospital where Princess Diana had her sons.
- Mexico arrests top 10 US fugitive Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:52:38 GMT
- A US fugitive on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list for the alleged sexual exploitation of children is arrested at a resort in Mexico.
- Nigeria motorbike raiders 'kill 48' Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:49:45 GMT
- Gunmen on motorbikes kill 48 people in an attack on a remote village in northern Nigeria's Zamfara state, an official says.
- Cyprus leader attacks bailout terms Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:01:50 GMT
- Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades urges eurozone leaders to help his country's biggest bank and sharply criticises the bailout agreed in March.
- Dolce and Gabbana sentenced to jail Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:35:27 GMT
- Italian fashion designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana are sentenced to jail in Italy for tax evasion but have appealed the verdict.
- China's Wanda to buy UK yacht maker Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:43:06 GMT
- Dalian Wanda Group, a Chinese property developer, says it will spend £1bn ($1.6bn) to buy a British yacht maker and property in London.
- First cycling Tour de Congo begins Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:33:40 GMT
- The first cycling tour of the Democratic Republic of Congo starts, but cyclists will not be riding to the volatile east of the vast country.
- PlayStation update freezing consoles Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:03:18 GMT
- A system software update has rendered some PlayStation 3 consoles unusable, manufacturer Sony confirms.