"If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's Okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite."
- Stolen jet passports: No terror link Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:11:19 GMT
- Two Iranians who boarded a missing Malaysian jet with stolen passports had no apparent terrorist links, officials say, as rescuers widen their search.
- Kerry rejects Putin Ukraine meeting Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:18:03 GMT
- The US secretary of state rejects an offer of talks with President Vladimir Putin over Ukraine until Moscow engages with US proposals on the crisis.
- Pistorius had 'big love for guns' Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:42:51 GMT
- Oscar Pistorius had a 'big love for guns', a friend tells his murder trial as he describes two firearms incidents involving the Paralympic athlete.
- Boy wounded in Turkey protests dies Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:11:09 GMT
- A teenager in a coma since he was struck on the head during anti-government protests in Turkey nine months ago dies in hospital, sparking clashes.
- New Zealand to vote on flag change Tue, 11 Mar 2014 03:51:00 GMT
- New Zealand is to hold a referendum on whether to change the 'post-colonial' national flag, Prime Minister John Key announces.
- Colorado reaps $2m in marijuana tax Tue, 11 Mar 2014 02:15:32 GMT
- The US state of Colorado says it collected more than $2m in the first round of tax payments from newly legalised marijuana businesses.
- India Maoists kill 16 policemen Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:24:44 GMT
- Maoist rebels kill at least 16 policemen in an ambush in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh, police say.
- El Salvador vote recount under way Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:59:36 GMT
- Electoral authorities in El Salvador order a recount of all votes in the unexpectedly close presidential election as both candidates claim victory.
- Mt Gox wins US bankruptcy protection Tue, 11 Mar 2014 00:57:05 GMT
- Mt Gox, the troubled Japanese bitcoin exchange, wins bankruptcy protection to temporarily halt US legal action alleging fraud.
- RMT general secretary Bob Crow dies Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:14:13 GMT
- General secretary of the Rail Maritime and Transport union Bob Crow dies aged 52
- Former Heinz boss in $110m payday Tue, 11 Mar 2014 01:22:57 GMT
- Former Heinz boss William Johnson receives a $110m payday as layoffs continue at the food firm, now owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital.
- Elephants recognise human voices Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:40:14 GMT
- Elephants are able to work out ethnicity, gender and age from the sound of a human voice, according to a study.
- VIDEO: Live coverage of Pistorius trial Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:37:10 GMT
- Live coverage of the trial of South African athlete Oscar Pistorius, who denies murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day 2013.
- VIDEO: Upbeat mood in Tehran bazaar Tue, 11 Mar 2014 06:53:07 GMT
- The BBC's Lyse Doucet talks to shoppers in a bazaar in North Tehran about their hopes for the future.
- VIDEO: Safe space landing for torch mission Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:09:26 GMT
- The two cosmonauts, Oleg Kotov and Sergei Ryazansky, and American astronaut Michael Hopkins, have landed safely after completing their Sochi Olympic torch mission.