"Happy the people whose annals are blank in the history books!"
—Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) British historian, essayist
- EU mulls fresh response to Russia Sat, 30 Aug 2014 04:11:30 GMT
- EU leaders are to meet in Brussels to consider how to respond to Russia following accusations that its troops are fighting inside Ukraine.
- Jews 'forced' from Guatemala village Sat, 30 Aug 2014 01:38:45 GMT
- Some 230 members of an Orthodox Jewish group begin leaving a village in western Guatemala after a bitter row with the local indigenous community.
- Texas abortion provisions struck down Sat, 30 Aug 2014 00:32:04 GMT
- A US judge strikes down part of a Texas abortion law that would have closed more than a dozen clinics.
- Test Ebola drug '100% effective' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:00:16 GMT
- The only trial data on the experimental Ebola drug ZMapp shows it is 100% effective in monkey studies, even in later stages of the infection.
- Italy lawyers urged to work faster Sat, 30 Aug 2014 00:55:49 GMT
- Italian PM Matteo Renzi announces measures to quicken the pace of the country's notoriously slow justice system to help the struggling economy.
- Iceland's volcano ash alert lifted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:33:56 GMT
- An eruption near Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano that briefly threatened air travel has ended, local officials say.
- Cold War US spy dies in prison Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:17:59 GMT
- A former US navy sailor who led a spy ring for the Soviet Union has died in a prison medical centre at the age of 77.
- IMF voices 'confidence' in Lagarde Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:08:23 GMT
- The International Monetary Fund expresses confidence in its leader Christine Lagarde, despite her being formally investigated for negligence in France.
- Cave-in traps Nicaragua gold miners Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:14:57 GMT
- Rescue workers in Nicaragua are trying to reach at least 24 workers trapped by a cave-in at a gold mine in the north of the country.
- Brazil's economy enters recession Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:54:17 GMT
- A contraction of 0.6% in Brazil's economy between April and June, and a revision of the first quarter, has pushed the country into recession, latest figures show.
- MSN Messenger to end after 15 years Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:48:01 GMT
- Microsoft's MSN Messenger will be switched off in China in October, bringing a final end to the 15-year-old service.
- Myanmar census shows 9m shortfall Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:42:33 GMT
- The first national census since 1983 reveals that Myanmar has 9 million fewer people than the 60 million the government had estimated.
- VIDEO: 100-year-old tortoise is on the move Fri, 29 Aug 2014 05:06:41 GMT
- An extremely rare Galapagos tortoise thought to be 100 years old has been given a new home at a zoo in Ohio.
- VIDEO: Song of a four-storey 'earth harp' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:31:30 GMT
- William Close is the inventor of the 'Earth Harp', a musical instrument which makes use of the architecture around it to create its sound.
- VIDEO: Brazil dismantles Amazon 'destroyers' Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:22:05 GMT
- Police in northern Brazil say they are in the process of dismantling one of the country's biggest environmental criminal gangs.