"Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in the room, talking to you, which is why I don't like to read good books."
—Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts], Recurring Saturday Night Live comedy bit
- Ukraine police move on protest camp Wed, 11 Dec 2013 04:11:30 GMT
- Thousands of police have moved on a large protest camp near Independence Square in the centre of the Ukrainian capital Kiev.
- Mandela's body to lie in state Wed, 11 Dec 2013 05:45:41 GMT
- The body of Nelson Mandela is being taken in procession to the Union Buildings in Pretoria where it will lie in state for three days.
- Uruguay votes to legalise marijuana Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:34:26 GMT
- Parliament in Uruguay votes in favour of legalising the cultivation, consumption and distribution of marijuana - the first country to do so.
- India top court says gay sex illegal Wed, 11 Dec 2013 05:39:38 GMT
- India's Supreme Court upholds a law which criminalises gay sex, in a ruling seen as a major blow to gay rights.
- US budget deal reached in Congress Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:11:52 GMT
- An agreement is reached on the US budget to avoid another government shutdown, Republican and Democratic lawmakers say.
- Supervolcano 'even more colossal' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 01:36:43 GMT
- The supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park in the United States is far larger than was previously thought, scientists report.
- Holden to end Australia production Wed, 11 Dec 2013 05:09:23 GMT
- Holden, a subsidiary of General Motors (GM), says it will stop making cars in Australia by the end of 2017, with almost 2,900 jobs to go.
- First woman boss for General Motors Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:42:26 GMT
- US car giant General Motors appoints its former product development chief Mary Barra as its new CEO, making her the first female boss of a major US motor company.
- China fruit market blaze kills 16 Wed, 11 Dec 2013 04:28:50 GMT
- A fire in a farmers' market in south China's Shenzhen kills 16 people and injures at least three, officials say.
- French deployment in CAR 'necessary' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 00:25:45 GMT
- President Francois Hollande defends France's military intervention in the Central African Republic, after two French soldiers were killed in Bangui.
- Bangladesh Islamist execution stayed Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:34:27 GMT
- The Supreme Court in Bangladesh stays the execution of an Islamist leader, Abdul Kader Mullah, following a last-minute appeal, his lawyers say.
- Movie captures Earth-Moon 'dance' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:19:55 GMT
- The US space agency releases an extraordinary new movie of Earth and the Moon moving through space together.
- Ikea wolf becomes HK protest symbol Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:42:00 GMT
- A stuffed toy wolf stocked by Swedish furniture giant Ikea sells out in in Hong Kong, after it appears to have become an unlikely symbol of protest.
- VIDEO: Award for Dhaka factory cameramen Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:50:01 GMT
- Two Bangladeshi cameramen, who gained access to leather factories near Dhaka to reveal squalid working conditions, have been awarded the Rory Peck award for examining humanitarian or social issues.
- VIDEO: CAR Muslims seek sanctuary in school Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:58:18 GMT
- The entire Muslim community of a small town in the Central African Republic has relocated to a makeshift camp in the playground of a school to avoid Christian reprisal attacks.