"In the dark colony of night, when I consider man's magnificent capacity for malice, madness, folly, envy, rage, and destructiveness, and I wonder whether we shall not end up as breakfast for newts and polyps, I seem to hear the muffled cries of all the words in all the books with covers closed."
—Leo C. Rosten
- Deadly bus attack in northern Kenya Sat, 22 Nov 2014 08:49:11 GMT
- Suspected members of the Somali militant group al-Shabab kill at least 28 people in an attack on a bus in northern Kenya, officials say.
- Obama defends immigration reform Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:22:14 GMT
- US President Barack Obama vows to press for further immigration reform, as Republicans condemn his use of executive powers on the issue.
- Madagascar plague outbreak kills 40 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 22:38:35 GMT
- An outbreak of plague in Madagascar has killed 40 people and infected dozens of others, the World Health Organization says.
- Iran talks enter decisive weekend Sat, 22 Nov 2014 08:59:01 GMT
- Talks on Iran's nuclear programme enter their final weekend, but there is no sign yet of a breakthrough as Monday's deadline looms.
- Bahrain holds disputed election Sat, 22 Nov 2014 05:07:45 GMT
- Voters are going to the polls in Bahrain's first parliamentary elections since Arab Spring protests in 2011, but many Shias are urging a boycott.
- US to press Turkey over IS role Sat, 22 Nov 2014 05:14:18 GMT
- US Vice-President Joe Biden is to meet Turkey's president, aiming to push for a bigger Turkish role in the fight against Islamic State.
- Benghazi report clears US response Sat, 22 Nov 2014 02:22:13 GMT
- A US inquiry finds no wrongdoing by the Obama administration in responding to the deadly 2012 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
- We can end Ebola in 2015, says Ban Sat, 22 Nov 2014 01:16:35 GMT
- The deadly Ebola outbreak can be ended "by mid-2015" if the world speeds up its response, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon says.
- British IS fighters 'killed in Syria' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:25:04 GMT
- Two British men are reported to have been killed while fighting alongside Islamic State militants in Syria.
- Falklands signs 'regrettable' Fri, 21 Nov 2014 22:25:22 GMT
- The UK criticises an Argentine law requiring public transport vehicles to carry signs declaring the nation's sovereignty claim over the Falklands.
- Floods fear as US snowfall eases Sat, 22 Nov 2014 05:30:21 GMT
- Snowfall in the north-east of the US is subsiding, forecasters say, but there is now a threat of flooding from rain at the weekend as it melts.
- 14 injured in hotel gas explosion Sat, 22 Nov 2014 06:00:59 GMT
- At least 14 people are injured in a suspected gas explosion which has led to the evacuation of a central London hotel, ambulance officials say.
- VIDEO: Ukraine uprising: One year on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 22:40:38 GMT
- Services have been held in Ukraine to mark the anniversary of the mass protests which sparked the downfall of former president Viktor Yanukovych.
- VIDEO: 100-year-old sees ocean for first time Sat, 22 Nov 2014 05:36:19 GMT
- The moment a 100-year-old American woman, Ruby Holt, sees the ocean for the first time.
- VIDEO: YouTube studios for internet stars Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:27:26 GMT
- YouTube is investing millions of dollars to set up professional studios which are free to use for anyone who has at least five thousand subscribers.