"Nothing more rapidly inclines a person to go into a monastery than reading a book on etiquette. There are so many trivial ways in which it is possible to commit some social sin."
—Quentin Crisp (b. 1908) British author
- Gunman kills two New York policemen Sun, 21 Dec 2014 08:27:33 GMT
- A gunman with an apparent grudge against the US police shoots dead two officers in a patrol car in New York before killing himself.
- Tunisia holds landmark election Sun, 21 Dec 2014 07:22:02 GMT
- Tunisia, whose 2011 uprising inspired the Arab Spring, holds a presidential run-off whose winner will be the country's first freely elected leader.
- US insists North Korea behind hack Sun, 21 Dec 2014 08:27:57 GMT
- The US says North Korea must admit "culpability" for a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures after North Korea suggests a joint inquiry into the attack.
- Mother charged with Cairns murders Sun, 21 Dec 2014 06:04:03 GMT
- Australian authorities charge a woman in the northern city of Cairns with the murder of seven of her children and her niece.
- Afghan Guantanamo inmates freed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 23:46:45 GMT
- Four Afghan detainees at the US prison in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba have been sent back to their home country, the Pentagon says.
- 'Allahu Akbar' attacker shot in France Sat, 20 Dec 2014 22:56:05 GMT
- Police in central France shoot dead a man who injured three officers at a police station whilst reportedly shouting "God is great!" in Arabic.
- Muhammad Ali down with pneumonia Sun, 21 Dec 2014 05:19:30 GMT
- Former three-time heavyweight champion boxer Muhammad Ali has been taken to hospital with a mild case of pneumonia, his spokesman says.
- Jordan ends death penalty moratorium Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:13:36 GMT
- Jordan executes 11 men convicted of murder, ending a eight-year moratorium on the death penalty.
- Cuba 'will stay on' communist path Sat, 20 Dec 2014 22:23:11 GMT
- Cuban President Raul Castro hails a recent move to normalise relations with the US but stresses that Havana will not change its political system.
- Russians 'will not cave in' to West Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:22:59 GMT
- Russia says it will not "cave in" to pressure, following a fresh set of US, EU and Canada sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine.
- Xi defends 'one-China' idea in Macau Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:02:12 GMT
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges Macau residents to respect the "one-China" policy, amid street protests in the former Portuguese colony.
- Lockerbie bomber's guilt reaffirmed Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:05:08 GMT
- Scotland's top prosecutor says there is no evidence to suggest Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi is innocent.
- VIDEO: Anglican Archbishop of Jerusalem Sun, 21 Dec 2014 00:44:46 GMT
- The Anglican Archbishop of Jerusalem, Suheil Dawani, is head of a diocese that covers much of the Middle East and talked to BBC News about the last year.
- VIDEO: Japan's senior cheerleaders Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:11:53 GMT
- Cheerleading is usually seen as a young person's sport, but the Japan Senior Cheer Association is for women in their 60s and 70s.
- VIDEO: Month-old cheetahs 'doing well' Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:19:55 GMT
- Four cheetah cubs born at Prague zoo in November are doing well, according to keepers.