"All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned--the biggest word of all--look."
—Robert (L.) Fulghum (b. 1937) American writer, author
- Two killed at US cartoon conference Mon, 04 May 2015 04:07:14 GMT
- Two gunmen are shot dead in a suburb of Dallas after they opened fire outside a conference on cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad, US police say.
- Freed women tell of Boko Haram horror Sun, 03 May 2015 19:27:55 GMT
- Former hostages held by Boko Haram fighters in Nigeria say some of their fellow captives were stoned to death by the militants.
- Police defend Bali Nine actions Mon, 04 May 2015 03:38:18 GMT
- The Australian Federal Police defend their role in the 2005 arrest of the Bali Nine drug smuggling gang, after two were executed in Indonesia.
- Ethiopian Jews protest in Tel Aviv Sun, 03 May 2015 21:26:43 GMT
- Hundreds of Ethiopian Jews protest against police brutality and racism in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv, leading to violent clashes.
- US marines and aircraft reach Nepal Sun, 03 May 2015 18:10:39 GMT
- Nepal's only international airport restricts larger aircraft because of concerns over its runway, as the post-earthquake aid effort continues.
- Baltimore lifts post-riot curfew Sun, 03 May 2015 17:53:32 GMT
- National Guard troops begin leaving Baltimore and a curfew is lifted, as tension subsides following rioting over the custody death of a black man.
- Thousands of migrants rescued at sea Mon, 04 May 2015 02:37:40 GMT
- More than 5,800 migrants are rescued and 10 bodies recovered in several operations in the Mediterranean over the weekend, Italy's coastguard says.
- Australian budget a 'horror story' Mon, 04 May 2015 01:25:09 GMT
- The Australian government will not be able to keep its promise to balance its budget, largely because of a plunge in commodity prices, say Deloitte.
- Costa Rica shipwreck sparks alert Sun, 03 May 2015 22:49:37 GMT
- The Costa Rican government issues an alert along about 100 km (60 miles) of coast near Puntarenas, after a vessel carrying tons of toxic chemicals sinks.
- Nigeria troops 'killed civilians' Sun, 03 May 2015 23:07:45 GMT
- Community leaders in central Nigeria accuse government troops of killing civilians and burning villages following the deaths of six soldiers.
- India soldiers die in rebel attack Mon, 04 May 2015 04:39:31 GMT
- Indian police say eight soldiers have been ambushed and killed by rebels, one of whom also died, in the north-eastern state of Nagaland.
- German train drivers set for strike Sun, 03 May 2015 22:28:34 GMT
- Drivers for Germany's Deutsche Bahn plan a week-long strike to start on Monday, their eighth walkout in 10 months of wage negotiations.
- VIDEO: 'Some were opposed to US cartoon event' Mon, 04 May 2015 04:11:23 GMT
- Eyewitness Stephanie Conway tells the BBC some people were opposed to a conference on cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in a suburb of Dallas, but she saw nothing threatening.
- VIDEO: Police answer Bali Nine criticism Mon, 04 May 2015 01:54:03 GMT
- The head of the Australian Federal Police, Commissioner Andrew Colvin, responds to criticism of their role in the events leading to the executions of two Australian drug traffickers in Indonesia.
- VIDEO: Shells rip through homes in Ukraine Sun, 03 May 2015 14:21:52 GMT
- Heavy shelling took place overnight in Donetsk. One Ukrainian soldier and two civilians have been killed in the past 24 hours.