"There are times when I think that the ideal library is composed solely of reference books. They are like understanding friends--always ready to meet your mood, always ready to change the subject when you have had enough of this or that."
—Donald J. Adams (b. 1924) [Maxwell Smart] American actor
- Burkina Faso leader 'to stay on' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:58:48 GMT
- Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore says he will stay in power for a year under a transitional government, despite violent protests.
- Russia and Ukraine agree gas deal Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:08:33 GMT
- Russia will resume gas deliveries to Ukraine this winter in a deal brokered by the European Union, which will also safeguard supplies to EU countries.
- Charity decries US Ebola quarantine Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:51:34 GMT
- Charity Doctors Without Borders warns some mandatory US state Ebola quarantine measures are having a "chilling effect" on its work.
- Obama urges 'credible' Myanmar vote Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:32:36 GMT
- US president calls for a "credible" process when Myanmar hold elections in 2015, as major players held rare high-level talks.
- US police killing suspect captured Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:55:13 GMT
- A US man who has eluded police in the forests of Pennsylvania for seven weeks after the fatal shooting of a police officer has been found.
- Drones buzz French nuclear plants Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:45:15 GMT
- An investigation begins after France's state-owned EDF power company says unidentified drones have flown over seven of its nuclear plants.
- Key Jerusalem holy site 'to reopen' Fri, 31 Oct 2014 01:47:43 GMT
- Israel promises to reopen a key Jerusalem holy site after closing it following the shooting of a Jewish activist.
- Mass graves found in western Iraq Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:19:05 GMT
- Scores of bodies of Sunni Muslim tribesmen apparently killed by Islamic State militants are found in mass graves in western Iraq.
- Four dead in Kansas airport crash Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:45:27 GMT
- At least four people were killed and five injured when a small plane crashed into an airport building in Wichita, Kansas, officials say.
- Polanski freed after US arrest bid Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:40:23 GMT
- US attempts to have director Roman Polanski arrested for sex offences while visiting Poland fail.
- Iraqi Kurd fighters 'enter Kobane' Thu, 30 Oct 2014 18:59:52 GMT
- An advance party of 10 Iraqi Kurd fighters have entered the Syrian border town of Kobane to join the battle against Islamic State militants, activists say.
- Evacuations amid Costa Rica eruption Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:29:20 GMT
- Costa Rica issues an alert and evacuates communities after ash from the Turrialba volcano reaches the capital, San Jose, and beyond.
- VIDEO: Where are Mexico's missing students? Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:36:00 GMT
- The Mexican president has met with the families of 43 students who went missing in September, following clashes with police.
- VIDEO: Tower poppies artist hails volunteers Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:09:22 GMT
- The artist behind a project to place almost 900,000 ceramic poppies around the Tower of London says he is surprised and happy that so many people have "taken it to heart".
- VIDEO: Stars glow at Interstellar premiere Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:22:09 GMT
- The stars of Christopher Nolan's much-anticipated Interstellar praise its "ambition" at the film's European premiere.