"I do not believe that civilization will be wiped out in a war fought with the atomic bomb. Perhaps two-thirds of the people of the Earth might be killed, but enough men capable of thinking, and enough books, would be left to start again, and civilization could be restored."
—Albert Einstein (1875-1955) German-born American theoretical physicist, theories of relativity, philosopher
- Gaza refuge suffers deadly shelling Wed, 30 Jul 2014 07:16:38 GMT
- Tank fire hits a Gaza school being used as a refuge by thousands of Palestinians, killing at least 15, the UN says.
- US and EU expand sanctions on Russia Tue, 29 Jul 2014 22:29:16 GMT
- President Barack Obama says new, co-ordinated sanctions from the US and EU will continue to make Russia's "weak economy even weaker".
- Ebola virus 'threatens' UK - Hammond Wed, 30 Jul 2014 07:11:59 GMT
- The Ebola virus, which has killed more than 670 people in West Africa, is a "potential major threat" to Britain, the government's chief scientific adviser warns.
- Khmer Rouge duo begin genocide trial Wed, 30 Jul 2014 04:14:29 GMT
- The last two surviving leaders of Cambodia's Khmer Rouge regime are to begin their second trial, this time for genocide, in Phnom Penh.
- Guinea concert stampede kills 24 Wed, 30 Jul 2014 04:12:11 GMT
- At least 24 people have died after a stampede at a beach concert in Conakry, the capital of Guinea, with dozens reported injured.
- Ten convicted for India school fire Wed, 30 Jul 2014 07:04:41 GMT
- A court in India finds 10 people guilty for a school fire in which 94 children were burnt alive in the southern state of Tamil Nadu in 2004.
- Barclays sees profits fall by 7% Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:51:04 GMT
- Barclays' half yearly profits fall 7% to £3.35bn, following a fall in revenue at its investment bank.
- More than five-a-day 'no effect' Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:05:24 GMT
- New research backs the five-a-day target for fruit and vegetables, but suggests eating more may have no added benefits.
- Los Angeles flood hits university Wed, 30 Jul 2014 03:14:18 GMT
- A burst water main causes flooding along Los Angeles' Sunset Boulevard at the University of California, Los Angeles, officials say.
- Deadly violence hits China's Xinjiang Wed, 30 Jul 2014 07:11:12 GMT
- Dozens of people have been killed or injured in violence in China's troubled western region of Xinjiang, state media say.
- 'Quantum Cheshire Cat' observed Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:36:04 GMT
- Scientists have separated a particle from one of its physical properties - proving a theory known as the "quantum Cheshire Cat".
- Last Hiroshima bomb crew member dies Tue, 29 Jul 2014 22:26:40 GMT
- The last surviving member of the team which dropped a nuclear bomb on Hiroshima, Theodore Van Kirk, has died aged 93.
- VIDEO: Harding's 'lusty' letters published Wed, 30 Jul 2014 02:26:36 GMT
- Almost 1,000 letters of Warren Harding, the 29th US president, have been published.
- VIDEO: British dancer returns from Russia Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:02:28 GMT
- A dancer from Hull who became the first British dancer to be employed by the Mariinsky Ballet in Russia returns to the UK to perform with the company at Covent Garden.
- VIDEO: Confetti harvest time in Shropshire Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:51:51 GMT
- A natural confetti farm is harvesting and drying its crop, in a harvest that lasts only ten days.