"I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves."
—Edward Morgan Forster (1879-1970) British writer, A Room with a View
- A Strange Political Dustup Clouds Kansas Governor's Future Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:05:00 -0400
- An open revolt among moderate Kansas Republicans has clouded Gov. Sam Brownback's re-election hopes and focused national attention on the tax-cutting experiment at the heart of his "red-state model."
- How High Debt From The Housing Collapse Still Stifles Our Economy Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:01:54 -0400
- Seven years after the subprime mortgage crisis, the U.S. economy has not yet fully recovered. Now two economists have come up with new evidence about what's holding the economy back.
- Amid Wave Of Child Immigrants, Reports Of Abuse By Border Patrol Thu, 24 Jul 2014 06:01:54 -0400
- Dozens of children have filed complaints saying they were subjected to inhumane treatment at Border Patrol stations. The complaints center on the holding cells, referred to as "freezers" by migrants.
- FAA Lifts Ban On U.S. Flights To Tel Aviv Thu, 24 Jul 2014 00:27:00 -0400
- The FAA worked with other U.S. agencies to reassess the risk of planes being hit by rockets at Israel's main airport. But that doesn't mean all carriers will resume service.
- Ariz. Governor Orders Review After Execution Lasts 2 Hours Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:04:00 -0400
- Death row inmate Joseph Wood took nearly two hours to die by lethal injection. Robert Siegel speaks with reporter Tucson News Now reporter Mauricio Marin about the execution and related legal battles.
- Arizona Execution Of Inmate Takes Nearly 2 Hours Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:54:00 -0400
- Officials who were attempting to put inmate Joseph Wood to death instead watched him gasp and snort for more than an hour, Wood's attorney says. Gov. Jan Brewer has ordered a review of the process.
- Democrats Make New Bid To Require Donor Transparency Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:04:00 -0400
- The latest version of the DISCLOSE Act, which would force donor disclosure on outside organizations that engage in election politics, is facing now-familiar opposition from Republican lawmakers.
- Obama Declares Emergency As Huge Fires Burn In Washington State Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:37:00 -0400
- Fire crews have been battling several major fires in central and eastern Washington, including one that has stretched over 250,000 acres.
- Summer Program For Hungry Kids Gets Creative With Food Delivery Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:08:00 -0400
- Around the U.S., food assistance agencies are trying to come up with new ways to feed hungry kids in the summer. In Hopkins County, Ky., they're using mobile vans to take food to where kids live.
- Insurance For Fake Identities The Latest Skirmish Over Obamacare Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:06:00 -0400
- Republicans say a sting in which false identities were used to sign up for health care has revealed a major problem. Democrats question the premise that people would try to steal insurance.
- N.Y. Man's Death Prompts Police Introspection On Use Of Force Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:13:00 -0400
- Funeral services are being held for Eric Garner, a New York City man who died in police custody. The incident is prompting the NYPD to rethink how it trains all its officers in the use of force.
- A Bird's-Eye View On Common Core Across The Country Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:08:07 -0400
- With conservative commentator Glenn Beck renewing his fight against the Common Core State Standards, it's worth taking a bird's-eye view of the learning benchmarks. Where are they now being implemented, what challenges remain and what does the coming school year have in store?
- Glenn Beck Takes His Campaign Against Common Core To The Big Screen Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:08:07 -0400
- Conservative commentator Glenn Beck hosted a live, interactive "night of action" against the Common Core State Standards. He has long fought against the learning benchmarks in reading and math now being used in 43 states. Events such as these, and the Common Core itself, could continue to play a role in the 2014 midterm campaigns.
- In Facing National Security Dilemmas, CIA Puts Probabilities Into Words Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:08:00 -0400
- In 2011, when President Obama was presented with circumstantial evidence of Osama bin Laden's whereabouts, he faced a range of estimates — anywhere from 30 to 95 percent that the man spotted in the compound was actually bin Laden. In this new installment in a series on the intersection of risks and probabilities, Obama's national security quandary takes center stage.
- Faced With Undocumented Minors, Iowa Is Wrenched By Stark Divide Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:08:00 -0400
- The governor of Iowa says that unaccompanied minors from Central America should not find shelter in his state. But the mayor of Des Moines and many religious leaders are at odds with the governor.