"Men do not understand books until they have had a certain amount of life, or at any rate no man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents."
—Ezra Loomis Pound (1885-1972) American writer, poet, Cantos, ABC of Reading
- Pentagon Expected To Release More Detainees From Guantanamo Fri, 28 Nov 2014 04:04:00 -0500
- Since the midterm elections, there has been a new batch of transfers from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and more releases are in the works. But a new GOP Congress could stall the drive to empty Guantanamo.
- Wildlife Activists Try To Save Staten Island's Wild Turkeys Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:58:00 -0500
- New York City doesn't sound like the ideal habitat for wild turkeys, yet dozens of them call Staten Island home. Officials want to relocate them, but their plan has had trouble getting off the ground.
- Wacky Wrestlers Of Yesteryear Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:11:00 -0500
- In America, there's a fine line between gimmicky wrestling and performance art.
- A Nationwide Outpouring Of Support For Tiny Ferguson Library Thu, 27 Nov 2014 10:02:00 -0500
- The Ferguson Public Library has become a refuge for community during a difficult time. In response, donations to the library have reached "several orders of magnitude" higher than ever.
- Holiday Travel Snarls Look To Be Easing Thu, 27 Nov 2014 09:45:00 -0500
- AAA says some 46 million Americans will travel more than 50 miles for Thanksgiving — the largest number since 2007.
- Your Adult Siblings May Be The Secret To A Long, Happy Life Thu, 27 Nov 2014 09:03:00 -0500
- Sibling relationships are the longest-lasting family ties we have, and they're among the most likely to bring health and happiness as we age. Think on that when your brother grabs the wishbone.
- Damaged Businesses Vow Ferguson Will Rebound From Violence Thu, 27 Nov 2014 04:42:00 -0500
- Protests have ranged from peaceful disruptions to chaotic, resulting in scores of arrests. Residents want to resume some type of normalcy, and they're trying to help businesses get back on their feet.
- Stories Of Your First Thanksgiving In The U.S. Thu, 27 Nov 2014 03:51:00 -0500
- Not surprisingly, many of the stories we heard from you were about food. You had issues roasting the turkey. Your mom found, um, a creative solution to making your bird golden-brown.
- Millennial Doctors May Be More Tech-Savvy, But Is That Better? Thu, 27 Nov 2014 03:49:00 -0500
- Text messages from your doctor are just the start. Millennials are the next generation of doctors and they're not afraid to say "chillax" in a consultation or check Twitter to find medical research.
- Cleveland Boy's Family: Video Shows Police Reacted Too Fast Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:49:00 -0500
- The family of a 12-year-old boy fatally wounded by a Cleveland police officer said video of the shooting shows that if the officer had not acted so quickly the youngster would still be alive.
- In Ferguson And Across The Country, Protests Are More Subdued Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:53:00 -0500
- Only about 30 demonstrators were out Wednesday night in Ferguson, NPR's Elise Hu reports, and there were only a handful of sizable protests across the country.
- Judge Rules Fewer Political Groups Can Keep Their Donors Secret Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:57:00 -0500
- The ruling targets the funders of campaign issue ads that encourage viewers to choose a specific candidate. The FEC now must decide whether it will appeal the ruling or require more disclosure.
- Jacksonville Split Over Joining A Southern Port Dredging Frenzy Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:01:00 -0500
- Jacksonville, Fla., is racing to find funds to deepen its port. If it can't accommodate newer, bigger cargo ships from Asia, the city says, it will lose out to Savannah, Ga., and Charleston, S.C.
- Obama Pardons Turkeys Mac And Cheese Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:53:57 -0500
- Per tradition, President Obama pardoned two turkeys at the White House on Wednesday.
- In Miami, Haitian Immigrants Wonder What Immigration Action Means For Them Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:53:57 -0500
- Thousands of Haitians (by one estimation) who fled to the U.S. after the 2010 earthquake will not enjoy any benefit because they arrived after the cutoff.