"If the book we are reading does not wake us, as with a fist hammering on our skulls, then why do we read it? Good God, we also would be happy if we had no books and such books that make us happy we could, if need be, write ourselves. What we must have are those books that come on us like ill fortune, like the death of one we love better than ourselves, like suicide. A book must be an ice axe to break the sea frozen inside us."
—Franz Kafka (1883-1924) Austrian writer, The Metamorphosis, The Trial
- Did That Restaurant Pass Its Health Inspection? Now Yelp Will Tell You Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:53:00 -0400
- You might not see health inspection information until you're opening a restaurant's door. But if you're in New York and several other cities, you'll see it when you check out an eatery's Yelp page.
- With Reid Out, Republicans See An Opportunity Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:18:02 -0400
- Democrats argue the top Senate leader's retirement might be a good thing. But it's going to set off a scramble to replace him in one of the most hotly contested races in 2016.
- Alabama Police Officer Accused Of Injuring Indian Man Is Indicted Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:17:00 -0400
- A federal grand jury decided there was enough evidence to bring charges against Officer Eric Parker. The incident sparked an international incident.
- 6 Things You Might Not Have Known About Harry Reid Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:12:00 -0400
- The senator from Nevada was raised in a home built of scavenged railroad ties and with a toughness that has carried him through his life and political career.
- What Reid Endorsing Schumer As Top Democrat Means Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:11:00 -0400
- Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid is not seeking re-election in 2016, but he is leaving no room for a leadership fight. He's throwing his support to his top lieutenant and message maestro.
- Reid Backs N.Y.'s Schumer To Succeed Him As Senate Democratic Leader Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:08:00 -0400
- Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid made the endorsement on Nevada Public Radio after saying earlier today that he won't seek re-election in 2016.
- New York City To Teens: TXT ME With Mental Health Worries Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:42:00 -0400
- In an effort to connect teenagers with mental health services, New York is testing counseling via text for high school students. They join a growing trend.
- Indiana Suspends Ban On Needle Exchanges To Combat HIV Outbreak Fri, 27 Mar 2015 10:57:00 -0400
- The state's governor says he would temporarily OK a program in one county after dozens of new infections were reported stemming from the injection of the prescription drug Opana.
- Is There Any Way To Screen The World's Pilots For Suicidal Tendencies? Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:27:00 -0400
- There are questionnaires that aim to identify people at risk of killing themselves. But the tests are flawed — and it's not at all clear they'd be effective in assessing the mental state of pilots.
- Airlines Worldwide Rush To Adopt '2-Person' Cockpit Rule Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:21:00 -0400
- In the wake of the apparently deliberate crash of a German airliner, carriers in Europe, the Middle East and Asia say they will emulate a U.S. rule requiring two people in the cockpit at all times.
- Sen. Harry Reid Says He Won't Seek Re-Election Fri, 27 Mar 2015 07:59:00 -0400
- The Democratic leader later told Nevada Public Radio he was endorsing Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, the Senate's No. 3 Democrat, to succeed him as minority leader when his term ends in 22 months.
- WATCH: Obama, A 'Wire' Superfan, Talks To Show's Creator David Simon Fri, 27 Mar 2015 07:38:04 -0400
- The president called the show "one of the greatest, not just television shows, but pieces of art in the last couple of decades." Their conversation was about the effects of the war on drugs.
- Stretching One Great Teacher Across Many Classrooms Fri, 27 Mar 2015 07:03:16 -0400
- A Nashville middle school is test-driving a big idea: To put a great teacher in charge of multiple classrooms.
- Senate Follows House In Passing GOP Budget Blueprint Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:06:00 -0400
- Working into Friday's pre-dawn hours, senators approved the measure by a near party-line 52-46 vote, endorsing a budget that closely follows one the House passed Wednesday.
- Air War In Yemen May Come At The Expense of Coalition Against ISIS Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:02:00 -0400
- Most of the members of the coalition conducting air strikes in Yemen, are also members of the U.S.-led coalition in Syria that's been waging an air campaign against the self-styled Islamic State.