"I do not mean to suggest that our handsome, newly enlarged library is to be a headquarters of busy bookworms, old and young, routinely absorbing knowledge by the hour while birds sing outside and the Mets fight it out for last place in the National League. On the contrary, a good library is a joyful place where the imagination roams free, and life is actively enriched."
—John K. Hutchens
- Suicide bomber hits Afghan funeral Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:09:54 GMT
- At least 12 people are killed in a suicide attack on a funeral in eastern Afghanistan, officials say.
- Italy leaders wrangle over president Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:29:51 GMT
- Italy's political leaders try to agree on candidates as parliament prepares to vote for a new president to replace Giorgio Napolitano.
- Panama to probe ex-leader Martinelli Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:46:09 GMT
- Panama's Supreme Court says it will investigate former President Ricardo Martinelli over allegations of corruption during his time in office.
- Iraq probes Diyala massacre claims Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:49:16 GMT
- Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi orders an investigation into allegations Shia militiamen massacred Sunni residents of an eastern village.
- US Supreme Court blocks executions Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:59:44 GMT
- The US Supreme Court postpones the executions of three death row inmates who say the use of the sedative midazolam in the procedures is cruel.
- More school grades dip amid changes Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:37:39 GMT
- The number of state secondary schools in England considered to be underperforming more than doubles in a year.
- Flights resume at snow-hit airport Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:40:38 GMT
- Flights resume at Manchester Airport after heavy snow resulted in services being suspended.
- Serious jail assaults at decade high Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:40:52 GMT
- The number of serious assaults in prisons in England and Wales reach their highest level for at least a decade, figures from the Ministry of Justice show.
- Teacher killer loses sentence appeal Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:24:26 GMT
- Will Cornick, who murdered Leeds teacher Ann Maguire, loses his appeal against his 20-year minimum jail sentence.
- Your pictures: City skylines Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:50:51 GMT
- Readers' photos on the theme of "city skylines"
- Day in pictures: 28 January 2015 Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:22:02 GMT
- Images from around the world: 28 January
- Shetland celebrates Up Helly Aa Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:37:46 GMT
- Shetland's spectacular annual re festival
- In pictures: Post-War office buildings listed Wed, 28 Jan 2015 01:36:35 GMT
- Striking buildings new to the National Heritage List
- Taking the plunge Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:54:51 GMT
- Cold Water Swimming Championships
- Day in pictures: 27 January 2015 Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:25:39 GMT
- Images from around the world: 27 January