"Beyond the formative effects of reading on the individuals composing society, the fact that they have read the same books gives them experiences and ideas in common. These constitute a kind of shorthand of ideas which helps make communication quicker and more efficient. That is what we mean when we say figuratively of another person, We speak the same language."
—Charles Scribner, Jr.
- Nigeria victor issues Boko Haram vow Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:35:10 GMT
- The winner of Nigeria's presidential election Muhammadu Buhari vows that militants Boko Haram will "soon know the strength of our collective will".
- US concern over Thai security law Thu, 02 Apr 2015 06:32:50 GMT
- The US says Thailand's replacement of martial law with new emergency measures does little to reduce the power of the military.
- Alps crash video 'must be handed in' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:43:56 GMT
- A lead investigator into the Germanwings crash calls for anyone with footage of the disaster to hand it over to the authorities.
- Bolivia minister sacked for Chile logo Wed, 01 Apr 2015 11:18:15 GMT
- Bolivia's Defence Minister Jorge Ledezma is sacked after he travelled to neighbouring Chile wearing a top with a controversial motto.
- IS militants 'enter Damascus camp' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 20:51:16 GMT
- Islamic State militants enter the Palestinian refugee camp Yarmouk in the Syrian capital, seizing control of large areas, reports say.
- Arrests over Canada prostitution ring Wed, 01 Apr 2015 23:04:04 GMT
- Six people are arrested in Canada on suspicion of running a prostitution ring, which smuggled nearly 500 women in to the country.
- Leaders prepare for election debate Thu, 02 Apr 2015 07:45:25 GMT
- The leaders of seven political parties gear up for a live, two-hour televised general election debate later.
- M&S sees turnaround in clothes sales Thu, 02 Apr 2015 07:25:14 GMT
- Marks & Spencer says sales for the three months to 28 March grew 1.9%, with a 0.7% gain for closely-watched general merchandising sales, the best performance in nearly four years.
- Crews battle industrial unit fire Thu, 02 Apr 2015 04:12:21 GMT
- A large fire breaks out at a warehouse on an industrial unit in north-west London.
- Social media teacher abuse 'rising' Wed, 01 Apr 2015 23:09:26 GMT
- The NASUWT teaching union says an increasing number of teachers are facing abuse on social media, not only from pupils but also parents.
- Election 2015 in pictures: 1 April Wed, 01 Apr 2015 16:10:12 GMT
- Images from the campaign trail: 1 April
- In pictures: Open, Youth and Mobile Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:27:38 GMT
- Open and Youth winners in Sony World Photo Awards
- Weather in pictures: 31 March Tue, 31 Mar 2015 17:33:51 GMT
- Winds batter Britain causing travel disruption
- Election 2015 in pictures: 31 March Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:33:17 GMT
- The first full day of campaigning
- No work, no football in time of Ebola Tue, 31 Mar 2015 02:44:49 GMT
- How Ebola still affects love lives and wallets