"Beyond the formative effects of reading on the individuals composing society, the fact that they have read the same books gives them experiences and ideas in common. These constitute a kind of shorthand of ideas which helps make communication quicker and more efficient. That is what we mean when we say figuratively of another person, We speak the same language."
—Charles Scribner, Jr.
- US and Turkey discuss IS and Syria Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:39:48 GMT
- The US vice-president and Turkish president discuss ways to fight Islamic State and strengthen the Syrian opposition, despite reports of strained ties.
- Colombia general 'free next week' Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:21:47 GMT
- Colombia's Farc rebels will release five captives, including Gen Ruben Dario Alzate, next week, President Juan Manuel Santos says.
- Benghazi report clears US response Sat, 22 Nov 2014 02:22:13 GMT
- A US inquiry finds no wrongdoing by the Obama administration in responding to the deadly 2012 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
- Obama defends immigration reform Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:22:14 GMT
- US President Barack Obama vows to press for further immigration reform, as Republicans condemn his use of executive powers on the issue.
- Mental health nursing cuts warning Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:08:02 GMT
- Staff cuts and bed shortages are leaving mental health services "under unprecedented strain", says the nurses' union.
- Call to sanction failing universities Sun, 23 Nov 2014 00:07:53 GMT
- It should be easier to remove the degree-awarding powers of universities that fail to meet academic and consumer standards, a report by Which? says.
- NHS staff fly out to fight Ebola Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:36:16 GMT
- The first group of NHS volunteers set off from London Heathrow, bound for Sierra Leone where they will help in the fight against Ebola.
- Police and NHS phone lines restored Sat, 22 Nov 2014 16:31:09 GMT
- Non-emergency police and medical phone lines are now working, Vodafone says, after technical problems disrupted services for a number of hours.
- Week in pictures: 15-21 November 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 16:43:22 GMT
- The best news photos from around the world
- Day in pictures: 21 November 2014 Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:31:30 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 21 November
- In pictures: Snow chaos in north-eastern US Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:54:20 GMT
- Snowstorm hits north-east of the United States
- Picture power: Bird flu Fri, 21 Nov 2014 01:38:24 GMT
- The story behind the picture
- In pictures: Mike Nichols films Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:34:30 GMT
- A glimpse at the work of film director Mike Nichols
- Day in pictures: 20 November 2014 Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:08:45 GMT
- 24 hours of news images: 20 November
- In pictures: Scarcity and Waste Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:11:28 GMT
- Finalists of Syngenta Photography Award