Personal tools
You are here: Home About Us Library History
"Who knows why we live, and struggle, and die?... Wise men write many books, in words too hard to understand. But this, the purpose of our lives, the end of all our struggle, is beyond all human wisdom."

—Alan Stewart Paton (1903-88) South African writer, noted for novels Cry, the Beloved Country

 

Library History

Document Actions

In June of 2004 the Wellington Public Library celebrated 25 years of operation.  The grand opening was held on June 13, 1979. 

 

The first library, open nine hours a week and staffed by volunteers, was in a tiny apartment at the corner of Second and Cleveland.  The original library board members were Gladys Russell, John Sumner, Bonnie Spicer, Louise Meiman, and Nancy Reed. 

 

In February 1980, the library moved into a small room in the Leeper Center at 3800 Wilson Avenue, began receiving support from the town and the first Summer Reading Program was held.  In 1983 there was a part-time paid library clerk and a volunteer library director, Nancy Reed.  Eliza Schmidt was hired as part-time library director in 1985 and the library was open 20 hours a week. 

 

It was not until 1992 that the library expanded from 485 square feet to 2,000 square feet.  In 1993 Diane Montgomery was hired as library director, a position she held until 2003.  Through grants and town funding the library was able to double in size from 2,000 square feet to 4500 square feet in 2003. 

 

The library is now open 42.5 hours per week and has approximately 22,000 items available for use.  Circulation is now over 20,000 items per year.